• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is spamming shameful?

Urb

Smash Journeyman
It seems that some people only choose characters like Falco, Wolf, Ike, Kirby, Pit, Toon Link, and Zelda to spam attacks. Not only is it pretty pointless/annoying, but I feel that it shows a few things about the spammer:

1. They have no idea how to actually use the character/play the game
2. They try to win by "sniping" or "stealing" KOs
3. They are too scared/unskilled to confront a foe head on.

Only a n00b should be allowed to spam. If you spam, then you might as well say "Hey! I am a n00b!"

I admit that Pit's only good move is his arrows (and god-like recovery) but there is no reason to focus on one attack and show your foes that you possibly posess the above three traits.

I realize that the game has a "stale-move negator", but it seems to be a moot point as it really has a very small effect and can't cancel out sniping. It should actually negate flinching.

If you disagree, I whole heartedly respect your ideas. I will see you on wi-fi and not spamming.
Sorry in advaced for any Pit users I may offend.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
i agree. spamming is for players who cant use a character to its full extent, they cant get to grips with an entire moveset or be creative so they just use one move over and over.

Rufeo

Smash Cadet
Not really. If a move a good then you can bet people will spam it. But if that is the only move they are using than you should be able to beat them easily. And if you can't you might as well say "Hey! I am a n00b too!"

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I think spamming depends on the match.

I hate it when I knock an opponent off the edge in a FFA match and Fox/Falco/Pit shoot them right before they lose their stock and it counts as a KO for them. I actually had this happen in an online match where a guy was Falco and he kept taunting, so the other two guys and I just left him alone. Well, it turned out every time someone would get knocked off stage, he would shoot at them to try to steal the kill. At that point, he got jumped.

Anyway, like I said, it depends on the match. I can see spamming in competitive play simply because you are doing what you can to win, it's a competition. Also, spamming isn't the only thing the player would do.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
A friend of mine enjoys playing Wolf now. He sits and laser spams, and then f-smashes. Complete noob behavior. I wouldn't consider myself a noob, but I can't get around that **** because of how the god**** laser is programmed. You can't cancel it with anything because it has no hitboxes that you can hit to negate it. His f-smash launches him forward, so even if you're spaced far enough away from him that it can't hit, most likely you can't hit him either. Pisses me the hell off.

selendrile

Smash Apprentice
There's nothing wrong with spamming. If someone is successful at doing something reptitively more power to them.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
did someone say spam?

spamming is going on for a reason, it is the single most effective strategy at the moment. Sure they could get up close and "confront a foe head on," but why do that when you want to win and not deal with how ridiculous defense is in this game.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
XD yes I do find it shameful I main Fox(/Pikachu) and i never run away hit lasers like it's a disco party. And anyone with Reflectors can reflect things back. Din's Fire is the most dodge'able' thing I ever seen. The only thing that makes it good is that it hits hard if you make a mistake.

Cecilia K.

Smash Apprentice
This is a stupid topic.

Spamming projectiles is a very effective way to rack up damage.
Do anything to win.

Imp

Smash Apprentice
You could argue that there is no honor in "spamming" but "spamming" is still a strategy. (no matter how gay it is)
I myself do use Wolf from time to time, and I shoot my laser and fsmash when the time is right simply because it works, and rather well I might add.

Tin

Smash Journeyman
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to win. It's not the most "noble" way to win a match but who cares if you win. I mean really. I myself detest spammers (Wario main), but I don't think it's a nooby way to play at all. If anything, it's more strategic. It takes a lot of skills to not get hit.

Oh, of course, there's a difference between a competitive player spamming strategically than a Wolf noob lasering over and over then F-smash.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
The way I look at spamming is that if you're a vet to the Smash series you really shouldn't need to.If someone's a total n00b then I'd be lienient (sp?) with them and try and ease them into expanding their horizon.
Vet=I think so.
JMO of course

DarumaBlue

Smash Rookie
I enjoy playing Mario, but spamming his fireballs whenever an opponent isn't up in your face is an absolutele requisite. I found this out especially against Ike. His forward smahes, forward B attack, even a few of his tilts are all negated by the bouncy goodness of fireballs. It really, really throws the opponents off and gives, at least, Mario the chance to come in with his otherwise sub-par moves and get an attack in.

I can see almost no viable way to play Link without spamming, He depends on having 2-3 projectiles out in the air to cover a relative lack of speed.

Yeah, spam is legit. Just ask any Hawaiian.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm well im a pt main. I use razor leaf almost always when ever I land from the air because someone always rushes me. I do the same with peachs turnips, maybe this isnt so bad because its slower but isnt it the same concept. Im not defending spammers but I see why someone would shoot lazers and arrows but to just sit there the whole match and shoot is ridiculous. I've always played defensively but i dont spam. Now i know hiyayaya is ****ing annoying but its a move so use it but just running across the stage just doing that wtf? that however brings me to a question as ivysuar if you are remotely above me i will use bullet seed till it is done. Now would that move be considered right there with pits whole deal? That why im not so sure weather i can be against it?

NDUDE

Smash Ace
You know what's shameful? Noob Kirbies in FFAs who just stand at the edge of FD, inhale, wait for someone to get swallowed, then jump off, thinking they can land a KO then fly back up...However, I haven't seen any Zelda spamming like you mentioned. I mean, I've seen Zelda use Din's Fire a lot when they opponents were farther away (or to get a Smash Ball), but they would use her full A moveset in close combat...

I think losing is more shameful, but that's just me.
To each his own. I say if you lose, at least put up a good fight.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
Spamming your tilts and jabs allows you to focus all of your "stale move negation" on them while keeping your smashes and specials non-stale. Also, with knock back reduction, you can chase them more easily and hit them first faster.

So... spamming your weak/fast attacks is actually a valid tactic.

But you're talking about projectile spam. Use projectiles back or learn to roll, shield, or jump around it in order to approach.

For example, Din's Fire only moves foward, so if you roll into it it'll pass through you and thus be useless.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Spamming is not spamming in smash. It's one of the few good strategies that can apply to nearly every character.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
Besides... You only have a finite set of moves, and each one has their own set of hitboxes. You will choose the moves you use based upon whether or not your opponent will be hit by them, according to the hitboxes. If your opponent stays in the same place relative to you, then you'll just keep using those same moves over and over.

This is only natural.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Not only is it pretty pointless/annoying...
If it works, it's not pointless. If it's effective, it's far from useless. If it's annoying, that's your problem, not the "spammer's" problem.
...but I feel that it shows a few things about the spammer:

1. They certainly know how to use the character/play the game if the spamming is effective.
2. They try to win. Maybe their opponents should try harder?
3. They are too skilled to confront a foe head on.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
My friend and I were playing last night and he used pit and just spammed arrows for half the match. It's not that he can't play pit, but it's just annoying as hell trying to avoid spamming in brawl and not get punished, especially on FD. In melee you could at least try reflecting them with shield, but you can't even do that now. I also tried sh->air dodge but that allows him to punish me.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
What bothers me more are the Kirbies, Yoshis and Dededes that sit on the edge inhaling in hopes someone will get there for a KO. I've seen god knows how many matches where that's all they do. I would love tos ee one where it's just four people who do that and they suddenly have to fight for real.

NeroeXIII

Smash Apprentice
Since people who spam are "noobs" just pwn them. Who cares if they're "noob." You dont need to start a rant about this. And like some people say here. If you have a good move, use it!

Unknownlight

Smash Journeyman
If spamming helps you win, then spam. If it doesn't, then don't. If you spam that does not mean that you're a n00b. In reality, if your character has a spam-able move then you'd be a fool to not spam it. Not spamming a spam-able when you have the chance doesn't let you reach your full potential, ignoring any of your character's advantages is a stupid thing to do. If you're a Pit user, spam your arrows if you can. If there's anything that will help you win, use it!

Of course, this is all referring to spam-able techniques. Don't spam Sonic's F-smash. Please.

Teh Lightning

Smash Rookie
I agreed with you on most of your post. Your definition of a spammer was pretty good to. But when you said
I admit that Pit's only good move is his arrows (and god-like recovery) but there is no reason to focus on one attack and show your foes that you possibly posess the above three traits.
You lost me. At this point, your opinion no longer matters because you obviously don't know what your talking about. Pit has plenty of awesome moves. All of his smashes, his forward B is decent, and his forward tilt is great. Not to mention his aerials are awesome.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Pit (and Wolf) user, and let me say that I don't "spam" all the time, no more than 5 arrows consecutively at a time (unless I'm actually trying to piss off my opponent), and I don't rely on arrows because you, in reality, can't stall the opponent forever so I'm not some idiot who doesn't know how to play Pit, it's just an extra safer way to inflict that extra bit of damage. Also, if a dumby just spams, the opponent will eventually get to them and pound 'em and nullifies the point of spamming in the first place. I have a neutral opinion.

Urb

Smash Journeyman
I suppose it's time to add my thoughts (again). Reading someone's spams and getting past it is easy, but online it sometimes lags, so I have oft been hit by "rock bottom" and Toon's down areal A because the dodge/shield animation is too alow. I have to think 3 sec. ahead of the wi-fi spammer which is tricky if your are not using a fast char.

I also use Wolf as a Secondary, but I only spam if I am trying to snipe of a Smash Ball are if I am playing some fool who is Pit and spamming. Deflect then blast those arrows!

Urb

Smash Journeyman
If it works, it's not pointless. If it's effective, it's far from useless. If it's annoying, that's your problem, not the "spammer's" problem.

1. They certainly know how to use the character/play the game if the spamming is effective.
2. They try to win. Maybe their opponents should try harder?
3. They are too skilled to confront a foe head on.
1. If it is annoying, it is the spammer's problem because I will hit them over the head.
2. Your last comment made be lol. It is almost TOO rediculous. Unless you are suggesting that the spammer is giving the other player a handicap? I did that once...shamed...:(

Too bad I can't just make a poll out of this...

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
just as everyone else says, if you cant get around the spam, you cant say its a noob tactic when your too fail to get around it yourself
i play against tlinks, falcos, wolfs, pits and all the like that camp and spam, yet i **** them all because i approach aerially, use dashing shields/spot dodge, and roll around that stuff, then they almost never hit me
really if theyre spamming, you know what theyre gonna do
theyre gotta shoot stuff, then if you come close, theyll stop and smash
since you know exactly what they will do, make a counter strategy
if you cant even counter that, then dont whine that they are a noob, because your really no better yourself

Edge82

Smash Rookie
It seems that some people only choose characters like Falco, Wolf, Ike, Pit, Toon Link, and Zelda to spam attacks. Not only is it pretty pointless/annoying, but I feel that it shows a few things about the spammer:

Only a n00b should be allowed to spam. If you spam, then you might as well say "Hey! I am a n00b!"

I realize that the game has a "stale-move negator", but it seems to be a moot point as it really has a very small effect and can't cancel out sniping. It should actually negate flinching.

If you disagree, I whole heartedly respect your ideas. I will see you on wi-fi and not spamming.
Sorry in advaced for any Pit users I may offend.
You have to be kidding...there is so much wrong with this thread. I thought you were joking at first

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
It seems that some people only choose characters like Falco, Wolf, Ike, Pit, Toon Link, and Zelda to spam attacks. Not only is it pretty pointless/annoying, but I feel that it shows a few things about the spammer:

*facepalm*

1. Spamming is a very effective way to play them game.
2. Sniping or stealing KOs is smart.
3. Why rush the enemy an risk getting punished when you can force the enemy to come to you with camping and punish THEM?

Only a n00b complains about spamming. It's up to you to learn to get around it. Complaining won't stop people from using it against you.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Wait wait wait, I didn't even notice...

Ike? What? What attack does Ike have that he can spam...? He has no projectiles and practically all of his attacks will have too much knockback to allow him to spam.

Unless you call an AAA combo spam.

The 5th Horseman

Smash Ace
Wait wait wait, I didn't even notice...

Ike? What? What attack does Ike have that he can spam...? He has no projectiles and practically all of his attacks will have too much knockback to allow him to spam.

Unless you call an AAA combo spam.
People complain about his up A attack, Aether. (I don't, lol.)

My take on this is that if the person is at a high % and 1 smash is going to KO them, I'm going to time it right and spam away, lol. Besides that, I don't have a reason to spam.

SwordsmanChris

Smash Rookie
Ike can spam Aether to an extent, but after a while it gets predictable and can easily be punished by faster characters. There's no real good move worth spamming except for moves like Pit's Arrows, which help to keep opponents at bay.

Top Bottom