• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ryu too "advanced"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So i was ultra hyped for Ryu. The first DLC Newcomer, the first character as a third party secondary, bla bla bla... just given that i'm a Street Fighter fan. I decided to go online with him but... he doesnt seem to really work as i thought he would in Smash Bros. I'm not one of those people who can pull off combos very easily, and as said in his official reveal he is the king of combos. What do YOU guys think though? Too advanced/hard, or am i seeing things a bit wrong?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
As someone who plays SF2 on the SNES, I'd say it'd help lots if you practiced there before jumping to use him in Smash. The controls are very different but the technique looks very similar.

UnsuspectingVillager

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blockyraccoon
3DS FC
0430-8629-1274
Coming from Melee, no. I honestly LOVE IT. I bet Sakurai had to kill himself to make his "fun party game" competitive in any way.

Kude

Smash Rookie
I don't understand why sm4sh supports casualization so much. If it's too 'advanced" for you, then don't play as him. Why take the fun of learning an advanced character away from those who want a challenge?

link2702

Smash Champion
ryu isn't "too advanced" least not compared to what is possible in melee.

what ryu IS though is kinda wonky, as the game will recognize inputs from EITHER the standard attack button, or special button for his "iconic Street fighter inputs"

this can actually get in the way of trying to perform other things of smash such as say...pivot tilts.

Ryu also isn't really going to be the "king of combos" despite sakurai trying to make it sound like he would, remember smash is still very different from other fighters, more damage on an opponent, as well as DI, will make a lot of his "combos" too difficult, if not impossible to perform most of the time. Ryu's "combos" were attempted to be modeled after what is possible in SF, the way combos in smash work is actually very different.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Smash Players: is this character "too advanced"
Street Fighter Players: let's hit the lab and see what this character is capable of

:troll:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Day 1 is never a good day to make conclusions.

Known candidates of this:

-Little Mac
-Diddy Kong (remember when people didn't view him as that powerful?)
-Mewtwo
-Paint Roller from Splatoon (I need to buy that game omg)

Huge

Smash Apprentice
That's the beauty of the way Ryu is made in this game: simple imputs, basic smash strategy, etc - they all work with him, but he has the ability to go more advanced. I'm expecting some positively wonky strings/combos from Ryu in tournaments. Gotta rev up that imput density.

I don't know about you, man, but I am ready to SIT DOWN and GIVE MYSELF CARPAL TUNNEL!

D

Deleted member

I don't understand why sm4sh supports casualization so much. If it's too 'advanced" for you, then don't play as him. Why take the fun of learning an advanced character away from those who want a challenge?
This whole thread is just a simple question, so i'm only expecting simple replies. And i am also very well aware Ryu just came out.

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
I find it funny you call Ryu "too advanced" but petition for Jin Kazama. Fireball, Dragon Punch, and Hurricane Kick are waaaaaay easier than 1 frame EWGF.

D

Deleted member

Ah i'm already beginning to regret making this "thread".

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ryu's got a **** recovery to compensate for that, so many matches will end up like this:

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Ryu's got a **** recovery to compensate for that, so many matches will end up like this:

Uhm.... no. If you input either :GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCA: /:GCU:+hold :GCB: , he reaches around dlophins lash level, and he stil has :GCD::GCDL::GCL::GCA:/ :GCR:+hold :GCB: (which doesn't put him into freefall), which covers a nice horizontal distance. His recovery is FAR from being terrible.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Uhm.... no. If you input either :GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCA: /:GCU:+hold :GCB: , he reaches around dlophins lash level, and he stil has :GCD::GCDL::GCL::GCA:/ :GCR:+hold :GCB: (which doesn't put him into freefall), which covers a nice horizontal distance. His recovery is FAR from being terrible.
As long as the player can input those commands before falling to their death, then they will be ok.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
As long as the player can input those commands before falling to their death, then they will be ok.
I think you missed the part where holding B with the normal smash-style inputs also produces the long range versions currently :p And that is so quick i didn'T notice at first thats what it was when comparing height from normal Shoryuuken to the SF-input one...

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think you missed the part where holding B with the normal smash-style inputs also produces the long range versions currently :p And that is so quick i didn'T notice at first thats what it was when comparing height from normal Shoryuuken to the SF-input one...
Nope I did not. It depends if the Ryu player can focus on doing these things while fighting other characters, especially if they are not being harassed while attempting the input commands.

There will be some downsides to playing Ryu that gives his opponents the advantage, but it is too early to tell right now since his Meta Game has just started.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Nope I did not. It depends if the Ryu player can focus on doing these things while fighting other characters, especially if they are not being harassed while attempting the input commands.

There will be some downsides to playing Ryu that gives his opponents the advantage, but it is too early to tell right now since his Meta Game has just started.
Uhm like i said, i didn't even notice I did it at first. It is the difference between a short-hop and a full hop, really. This isn't rocket science, much less something you need to focus on. I really doubt it will stay that way (otherwise the SF inputs would be for naught for those two moves, except if the SF input ones have additional effects like super armor, invincibility, more damage or something similar, cannot test it atm). You need the SF inputs for the red Hadouken though.

And yes there will propably be downsides. But it sure ain't his recovery. At least not in his current state with the current hold-b inputs.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Uhm like i said, i didn't even notice I did it at first. It is the difference between a short-hop and a full hop, really. This isn't rocket science, much less something you need to focus on. I really doubt it will stay that way (otherwise the SF inputs would be for naught for those two moves, except if the SF input ones have additional effects like super armor, invincibility, more damage or something similar, cannot test it atm). You need the SF inputs for the red Hadouken though.

And yes there will propably be downsides. But it sure ain't his recovery. At least not in his current state with the current hold-b inputs.
Watching Ryu matches online, I notice that many Ryu players use his moves that have too high of a knockback. His Tornado Kick (don't know the exact name) does not seem to be able to K.O. Mewtwo at 110%. Ryu's reach does not seem that long either when using his non special moves, but I presume that is the point to his character.

Ryu does seem to have the advantage against close quarter opponents.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
I just think the sf inputs should only be able to be done with the B button, that way they won't interfere with tilts etc. I doubt his combos will be very hard to use once muscle memory kicks in, the only hard part will be doing tilts without using a combo

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Does anyone feel as though you should avoid specials until you rack up enough percentage to deliver a finish blow? The Special moves seem to be better suited to get out of a jam and set ups than anything else.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
As I guy who has played every Street Fighter game? Nah, he's not too advanced.First few hours with him felt natural to be honest.

Someone mention he had a expletive recovery. I find his recovery is great. If you tatsumaki immediately after a double jump and hold side B you will keep your vertical momentum through out your tatsu and travel a good horizontal distance and can still Shoryuken afterwards. He seems to have one of the recoveries that you have to screen him to kill him. Also, I am not sure but I think manual inputs of specials have invulnerability frames. Or hit boxes or wonky, either or.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
He just came out lol. He's gonna require some practice :p.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
As I guy who has played every Street Fighter game? Nah, he's not too advanced.First few hours with him felt natural to be honest.

Someone mention he had a expletive recovery. I find his recovery is great. If you tatsumaki immediately after a double jump and hold side B you will keep your vertical momentum through out your tatsu and travel a good horizontal distance and can still Shoryuken afterwards. He seems to have one of the recoveries that you have to screen him to kill him. Also, I am not sure but I think manual inputs of specials have invulnerability frames. Or hit boxes or wonky, either or.
Don't you think Ryu's recovery moves are too easily telegraphed that it puts him at a disadvantage?

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Don't you think Ryu's recovery moves are too easily telegraphed that it puts him at a disadvantage?
I will say that his recovery isn't fast. Tatsu floats and near the apex of Shoryuken he floats as well. From low he will need to sweet spot that ledge or else he'll get punished a lot harder then some other characters.

As for recovering high, Tatsu has I am guessing 6 frames of ending lag than you can attack. Bair hits hard and comes out fast, Fair hits hard and comes out fast and seems to have great priority. Dair has short range and not a lot of priority but is strong and sends opponents down at an angle so not many are going to want to challenge his high recovery. Forgot to mention Focus Attack, that can take one hit, be aimed behind him, and held for about 3 seconds.

So yeah, I think the only problem with his recovery attacks like Tatsu and Shoryuken are that they are really floaty and kinda slow at the end. A good player wouldn't have much trouble intercepting them.

D

Deleted member

He just came out lol. He's gonna require some practice :p.
We're all just very eager to get on a fairly OK skill level with him. The Street Fighter + Smash Bros moveset combination is simply what brought me to make the thread is all.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
This guy will probably be like Yasuo from LoL or something. If you suck with him you're pretty useless, and if you're good with him you will probably destroy everyone.

I think it's good that they implement more characters that are difficult to learn, and I really don't see a problem with all his combos and stuff. You probably just need to invest some time in learning how to play him :100:

SuperWildYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Im really hyped for Ryu and all. Just think that he may be OP. He seems to be very fast and strong, and his combos give a great reward for the advanced player. Great recouvery as well. Seems like he has it all. Wouldn't be surprised if he is the metaknight (brawl) of Smash 4.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Im really hyped for Ryu and all. Just think that he may be OP. He seems to be very fast and strong, and his combos give a great reward for the advanced player. Great recouvery as well. Seems like he has it all. Wouldn't be surprised if he is the metaknight (brawl) of Smash 4.
I don't think he's OP. The range on his normals are short and it seems to me he really needs to get with in pixels for his combos to start wrecking. I also notice his grab range is terrible and I have yet to find any grab combos with him. I will say that all his aerial attacks seem to auto cancel.

Sucks you can only have one fire ball out at a time and they travel so slow. I guess he could still turtle if he wants but, meh...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Do I think Ryu is too advanced? Not really for me and that's because I've played a lot of the Street Fighter series so that I would be very familiar with the mechanics being transitioned into Smash.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I can see that there's a level of nuance to the character that might make him remarkably good as a fighter; nearly double the capabilities to account for when in a fight, and having the best combo potential in the entire game. It does make him difficult to read, I will admit this.

The problem lies in that this level of mastery, for a Smash player, comes from an aspect they may have never had to deal with before: Input Commands. While Ryu can be played without them for a newer player, the character's absolute best comes from those input commands. Even then, someone who mains Ryu in Street Fighter who rarely plays Smash still might have issues because they have to play Ryu in a way they have never accounted for before: Ring Outs and only working with two attack buttons, not six.

The character is good, in my opinion. Of all fighting games, I play smash religiously, but I have found the input commands easy enough to adapt to, but my skill doesn't permit me the ability to string them into combos. I can see Ryu's flaws being that his Hadouken, while useful and able to combo to a degree, isn't the best a compared to other ranged attacks like an Aura Sphere. He has an ok grab, with a down throw being combo-able into aerials or a Shoryuken at low percents, but even that isn't grand.

Ryu shines in his combos, his Collar Bone Breaker does amazing damage to shields, but you'll need to have that finish a combo to break them. His Focus punch crumple can set up some decent combos when needed as well as giving you some decent time to input a Shoryuken, but the charge time might permit enemies enough time to dodge or set up their own counter (the Super Armour only lasts for one hit, as well). Hadouken can't truly be spammed, but can interrupt charging enemies and fiery hadouken does multiple hits.

In short? Ryu doesn't require overly advanced play to play him at all, but he does have a higher difficulty curve to master, and just because he has the best combo ability out of all the characters, that doesn't mean that said combos can't be interrupted or countered by other characters.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Smash Players: is this character "too advanced"
Street Fighter Players: let's hit the lab and see what this character is capable of

:troll:
Street Fighter Players is interchangeable with Link Mains in this sentence.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
If you're playing a game competitively, nothing is too advanced. You learn what you have to learn to win. If you're a casual player you can not worry about inputs and just press B.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the replies guys. This thread can be ignored, locked, whatever.

Edit : I really wish i didn't make this thread at all. It started out bad and i feel like crap now that i look like a fool.

Last edited by a moderator:

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Thanks for the replies guys. This thread can be ignored, locked, whatever.

Edit : I really wish i didn't make this thread at all. It started out bad and i feel like crap now that i look like a fool.
You must learn to make the distinction between looking like a fool and being a fool. Not fearing the appearance of foolishness will free you of things that may hold you back from following through on a wise decision

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
Haven't played him yet but his lack of disjointed hitboxes and range seems to make him rather easy to zone out. I had a lot of success with Dedede keeping many Ryus away today on FG. He couldn't really approach or get past my gordo wall and Ftilt. Granted it's early and nobody is good with him yet but I think he's going to have trouble approaching in many matchups. Especially since he doesn't seem to be Falcon or Shiek fast. That's just first impressions though. I do agree he's probably high to top tier though, he has good damage, recovery, a projectile, shield breaker. Lots of good qualities. I think he's going to match up pretty well against the current top tiers, except he's probably losing solidly to Rosa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom