• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Roy the best Fire Emblem character in Smash?

DKMJunior

Smash Cadet
I think it is fairly safe to assume that most of us didn't expect Nintendo to include so many characters from the Fire Emblem series. With that being said, I couldn't be happier they did. I truly enjoy all of the characters. Roy is my main, but I find Marth, Robin, and Ike satisfying and exciting to use. Nonetheless, this being a Roy thread, is he the best out of the bunch? What do you all think? I feel bias in the situation because I did main him. I would argue he is demonstrably better than his comrades.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think it is fairly safe to assume that most of us didn't expect Nintendo to include so many characters from the Fire Emblem series. With that being said, I couldn't be happier they did. I truly enjoy all of the characters. Roy is my main, but I find Marth, Robin, and Ike satisfying and exciting to use. Nonetheless, this being a Roy thread, is he the best out of the bunch? What do you all think? I feel bias in the situation because I did main him. I would argue he is demonstrably better than his comrades.
If this was pre 1.0.8 you could certainly make a case for this. But with the buffs Ike and Marth got it's not quite as clear-cut as it could be. One thing is for sure, he plays vastly differently than any other swordfighter (essentially the brawler archetype
with a sword, as opposed to the spacing-heavy focus of other swordsmen).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I personally think Ike is better. :4myfriends:

#TelliusBoyz

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ike. But honestly all 3 of them are hanging around bottom of high tier right now imo. Ike is just slightly better then Marth and Roy imo.

NNID
Redwalker
3DS FC
2423-3213-8820
I personally think Ike is better. :4myfriends:

#TelliusBoyz
Ike. But honestly all 3 of them are hanging around bottom of high tier right now imo. Ike is just slightly better then Marth and Roy imo.
So weird to hear praise for Ike off his boards. =) I remember a time when Ike was considered **** tier.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes! He used to be pretty bad, but his latest buffs just made him a lot more viable. And that's amazing, cause Ike is easily my favorite FE character.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'd imagine it could be either Roy or Robin, comparatively speaking.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4robinm: and :4feroy: both need some adaptation in order to fight them, but once you figured them out, they seem a lot less impressive. I personally think that :4robinm: might actually be the worst Fire Emblem character, competing with :4lucina:. :4robinm: is extremely immobile and that's a bad thing in Smash. Projectiles are cute, some moves hella strong, but he lacks actual combos and his projectiles can be shielded and dodged easily... His tomes are generally more effective once used up, so he can throw them lol.

Against :4feroy:, you need to just outspace him, and be in his face more than he's in yours. He's a pressure character, but can't really handle pressure well at all.

DKMJunior

Smash Cadet
@ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong , @ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord , @ meleebrawler meleebrawler - Perhaps I haven't played with Ike enough to truly appreciate him. He is extremely powerful of course, and his three-tap-A combo is stellar, but I always considered him a bit bulky for my taste. What did the new update do to Ike and Marth? How did they improve? Most of the posts here are correct that Roy is definitely a presser/close range character. Marth is enjoyable because he is quick and has range. It puzzles me that some claim Roy is just his clone, when they transparently play completely different. Robin is an excellent character as well, and I have seen some pretty incredible Lucina's in FG.

I suppose this is my Fire Emblem ranked tier list. However, I have not used Ike or Marth since the update.

1. Roy
2. Ike
3. Marth
4. Robin
5. Lucina

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
I'm a bit confused I guess. I've heard a lot of people in the community say Roy is between high/top tier (didn't Zero say that specifically?)

He's the first character where I've felt really at home with his style. As always we'll need more time before we know but I'm hoping to see some strong Roy mains in tourny play in the future.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
1. Roy
2. Robin
3. Marth
4. Lucina
5. Ike

Ike is no where near close to Roy or Robin, even with all the buffs.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Roy
Marth
Ike
Lucina
Robin

Ike got some crazy buffs that took him way out of the low tiers but there's no way he could deal with Marth's spacing and Roy's pressure. I would argue, Lucinas spacing could hinder Ike but she gets no benefit from tippers.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
For me, personally (minority opinion incoming) ...

Marth ≥ Ike ≥ Roy > Lucina > Robin ^-^

Both Marth and Ike were buffed heavily since 3DS version launch.

Marth: I think that as the metagame becomes more and more defensive, characters who are able to safely space their attacks would benefit the most. Marth's traits could allow him to be very potent in this type of environment where proper spacing also leads to reward in extra damage; that tipper F-smash can easily end stocks sub-100%, especially with rage. The buff to Dolphin Slash makes it an even better OoS option, and the Jab buff improves his ground game considerably.

Ike: He has garnered more positive impressions from the community lately, even from the likes of ZeRo. Ike began as a rather sub-par character in the 3DS days and has since undergone major changes from the buff packages he received. The new vertical knockback trajectory on his D-tilt from 1.0.4. vastly improves his combo and follow-up ability; also from 1.0.4, F-air has a faster animation and gained auto-cancel properties. Ike's greatest boon, in my opinion, are his throw combos with D-throw and U-throw; both can true combo into Ike's aerials from low to mid percent. His U-throw combo would be further augmented by the next F-air buff in 1.0.8., which its hitbox was improved to hit above and below him better. Dash Attack was massively buffed as well, allowing it to finally kill. Landing lag reductions to four of his aerials and his Jab combo becoming more reliable were also pretty significant.

Roy: There was so much hype surrounding him during his announcement. As soon as players got their hands on him, many believe he would be the one to prevent "Fire Emblem Tier" from happening. I use Roy as a secondary, and I can say with much confidence that he is good. Blazer is an amazing OoS kill option, and he can be vicious with his low landing lag N-air and his ridiculous F-smash. His falling speed is fast, which complements his approaches and combos well; however, it can be hindrance to him if his opponents are able to exploit its weaknesses. Being a fast faller makes him susceptible to combos, and it most certainly does not help him off-stage as Blazer is already lacking as a vertical recovery. Additionally, he lacks SH auto-cancelled aerials, compared to his FE co-stars. I like to describe him as the most volatile character in the FE crew that reaps massive reward when used effectively.

Lucina: She received damage buffs to many of her attacks and was buffed similarly to Marth in 1.0.8. In the end, however, she would always be an afterthought to Marth as she lacks any sort of reward for proper spacing.

Robin: I want to say that this character's metagame is unexplored and that there is still some potential left, but until more Robins appear in tourneys, this will be my current placement for him/her. If I was ranking the FE characters several months ago, I probably would have said Robin was strongest, but the buffs that Marth, Ike, and Lucina have received were so substantial to their respective metagames that they all seemed to have passed him by.

tl;dr: I could imagine Marth, Ike, and Roy in the same tier together, with Lucina and Robin considerably far behind them.

Last edited:

Toxiphobe

Smash Cadet
I feel as if Roy is the best because of how much power, kill, speed and combo potential he has. Using him is better than marth because at least you have an easier time landing his sweetspot. Also Roy's rival match up would have to be lucina. Lucina has gotten...so...many...buffs....

Kidd Ryze

Smash Rookie
NNID
KiddRyze
3DS FC
4639-9938-5875
I love Roy's character in this game. I had him as a secondary back in Melee, so when I saw him leaked in Smash 4, I knew I was gonna main him. And, I have to say, he's an awesome character! His moves are powerful, he has great speed, and decent defense. He's the reason I play Smash 4 a lot more.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I feel like you guys are really overselling Ike. Yes, he's been buffed, but he's still slow, has a really bad neutral, and can't space as well as Marth does and also lacks the tipper and is a lot slower. Lucina's pretty much on the same boat as Marth bar the tipper.

Robin also has potential and is better.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel like you guys are really overselling Ike. Yes, he's been buffed, but he's still slow, has a really bad neutral, and can't space as well as Marth does and also lacks the tipper and is a lot slower. Lucina's pretty much on the same boat as Marth bar the tipper.

Robin also has potential and is better.
Ike is rather fast in the air though, and Side B can really improve his mobility and range, and adds a lot of pressure to any character who's not a heavy projectile user. He can combo, is heavy, lives decently long, kills people very early and he has tons of range. With his F Air buff, I think he's easy the strongest FE character in the air. And U Smash is, and always has been an amazing roll spam punisher. So I think his overall kit is pretty much the strongest. Ike can be very adaptive, but he just suffers from a very bad disadvantage stage. Then again, he also has a better advantage game than most of the cast, I think. Neutral is extremely dependant if projectiles are involved, but Ike's Customs help him adapt even to this. So I don't think Ike is being oversold, he's actually just pretty damn good. Finally.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Actually you're making a very good point @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong . Ike definitely has the defensive power to trump the likes of Roy and Marth... It's kind of making me wonder now.

But at the same time, Roy also has a great combo game. Good speed. Awesome kill power. Decent weight. Good pressure game... not to mention he can reset neutral a lot easier than Ike could. He'd prove tough against Ike.

I'm gonna redo my list.

Roy
Ike
Marth
Lucina
Robin

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yall, don't understand Robins mobiity kills him and he doesnt have the tools to hold his space well. If you force a roll from him, you get FREE punishes. His roll is as bad as Samus.

Robin has Thoron, jab and Levin normals. That's it. All his other tools are heavily flawed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Actually you're making a very good point @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong . Ike definitely has the defensive power to trump the likes of Roy and Marth... It's kind of making me wonder now.

But at the same time, Roy also has a great combo game. Good speed. Awesome kill power. Decent weight. Good pressure game... not to mention he can reset neutral a lot easier than Ike could. He'd prove tough against Ike.

I'm gonna redo my list.

Roy
Ike
Marth
Lucina
Robin
I think Ike and Roy are actually quite similar, but Ike is a little more defensive, Roy is all about the rush down / pressure gameplay. Whereas Ike can play the wait and punish / zoning / pressure game. Both are quite similar with their combo game though, and they both can finish off opponents quite easily. Roy has the mobility going for him that really tops Ike, but Ike has the defensive options.

I personally prefer Ike, but I could see Roy being just as good, or better due to being more popular (as it seems now). I actually think that Marth and Ike especially got their buffs this patch because they needed to keep up with Roy. So I think they are all "supposed" to be all about just as good (before these buffs, Roy would've outclassed both Marth and Ike in all they do).

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I think Ike and Roy are actually quite similar, but Ike is a little more defensive, Roy is all about the rush down / pressure gameplay. Whereas Ike can play the wait and punish / zoning / pressure game. Both are quite similar with their combo game though, and they both can finish off opponents quite easily. Roy has the mobility going for him that really tops Ike, but Ike has the defensive options.

I personally prefer Ike, but I could see Roy being just as good, or better due to being more popular (as it seems now). I actually think that Marth and Ike especially got their buffs this patch because they needed to keep up with Roy. So I think they are all "supposed" to be all about just as good (before these buffs, Roy would've outclassed both Marth and Ike in all they do).
I agree with you. Ike does have his strengths now to put him on par with the other FE characters. At this point I'd say he's better than Marth. I'd say it's almost even match up with Roy though.. maybe slightly in Roy's favor.

Roy was definitely made to counter Marth though. The way they play are the exact opposite. Marth plays keep away while Roy plays get over here.

Ike will end up being listed lower in the tiers than Roy though. Popularity may play a role in this... maybe. But I feel that Ike's MU's with other characters will end up being worse than Roy's. But who knows. Ike's finally good now so his MU's are bound to change.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Me being a SoCal player Roy really favors the non-stop aggro style. Which us in SoCal are known for. Roy definitely can do a lot of things to a lot of people and not get punished and his neutral B mindgames are crazy

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Roy will have a difficult time against Marth's spacing as well too... Forgot all about that.

It's really hard to say at this point.

GenG

Smash Lord
Although Ike's frame data has improved through subsequent patches, at the end everything comes down to the match ups, and Ike has really bad ones. Roy's running speed, fast fall, safe pokes, aerial approaches, tools like B, dgrab and his fair with early IASA frames for mindgames, Blazer for air control and OoS killings, etc. makes him a much more solid all-range character.

I stopped playing Ike because some matchups were insufferable and not fun at all, whereas with Roy I feel I can hold my own against anyone with his different tools. He is going to be nerfed in next patches because he owns in mid-level matches, so enjoy him as much as you can now.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I feel all 3 lose the same matches that matter and all 3 beat down the same characters. Roy and Marth might beat Ike out slightly due to mobility though. And yeah Roy prolly gonna get nerfed for no reason other then dominating FG weaklings.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Roy, Ike and Robin are all pretty good.

Marth sadly, isn't that great this time around and Lucina is about the same.

Roy is probably a high tier character while Ike and Robin are mid tiers. Marth and Lucina are low tiers.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Roy, Ike and Robin are all pretty good.

Marth sadly, isn't that great this time around and Lucina is about the same.

Roy is probably a high tier character while Ike and Robin are mid tiers. Marth and Lucina are low tiers.
I feel like that's being generous to Roy, while he defiantly looks better on paper compared to the rest of the cast. After playing as him for a few local tournaments I'd put him at either the top of mid teir or the bottom of high teir

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Right now, I don't think there is a "best" Fire Emblem character. Roy is very good though, but I'm still not sure he's better than Marth (IMO) but he comboes SO well and is so fast. Ike is so good now since last patch. Robin is also underrated IMO. All this talk of FE characters is making me hyped for Fate even more.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Are there any notable Roy users in any recent tournaments? I've seen a few Roy matches but none were that great to be honest. Mostly looking into having Roy be my secondary and would love to learn from a few videos. I currently main Marth, so Roy isn't a huge step from him, so I at least have the basics down.

Anyways, more on topic... I am unsure who is the best Fire Emblem character, but it seems to be either Ike or Roy, as many have said above. I would wait till more Roy users show up at tournaments before saying which character is truly better. Results matter, but it would be kinda skewed since there are seldom any Ike users. I am sure due to mass popularity, that there will be many Roy users in the future.. compared to Ike maybe. As for Robin, hard to say if he has anything going for him in terms of being the best since he's the slowest character in the game (Quite sure I read this from somewhere!). I personally feel that Marth is better. Sure, we have people like Nairo advancing the Robin meta and making Robin look like a stellar character, but it is more of the player than the character in that regard. I really do not think Lucina has anything going for her.. considering Marth does have the tipper. It KOs at ridiculously low percents and can possibly crouch cancel his jab into a possible tipper F-Smash.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Ike is by far and away the best of the bunch

Marth/Roy/Lucina are somewhere in between.

Robin is easily the worst

GummyBlade

Smash Rookie
NNID
XxAdamGBxX
Well Roy is my main to but his sword is different then the other because of the FIRE so Roy is one of the best but he is the best for me

Top Bottom