• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Pokemon Trainer tourny worthy?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Hello everyone. You can call me Aero or Sin(could care less by which name). I was just wondering if my "skillz" as a PKT user would be tourny worthy. I have one coming up in about two weeks and I'm still deciding whether or not to go. but that's not the point. What are your opinions on PKT?

Primary: PKT
Secondary: Toon Link, Marth
Teritary(...idk the name but my 3rd most used): Pit
Quad: Link, Ice Climbers, Mario

Bomber7

Smash Hero
LAWL. I find it funny that everyone loves to revolve around those two. Besides, I'm not much for either of them. No MK exp. and very little Snake exp. plus, I'm not that big of a snake fan. I love his games though, but not enough to make me play as him in Brawl.

YourTooSlow

Smash Apprentice
PT is totally worthy, its the most versatile character. only enter with PT if you are comfortable and familiar with all three pokemon, not just ivysaur and squirtle, etc. you need to be uber with all three.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Pokemon Trainer is by far the hardest character to learn in the game, and I would not enter a tourney with anything other than your best character. You must be familiar with all of PT's pokemon, to the point that any one of them could be your main on its own. You must know how to switch PT's pokemon against highly experienced players without it ending in an Ike F-smash.

You will have one advantage however - Nobody knows how to play against pokemon trainer. The Brawl AI is terrible at PT, and there are few people your competitive opponents could have faced who play PT with any skill. Also, the opponent will have to adjust to your three unique playstyles, while you only have to adjust to his one playstyle.

PT has one huge tournament advantage - his player's unpredictability. He also has an even larger disadvantage of being the hardest character in the game to learn. If you have PT figured out, then your PT may be a better option than Snake. But make sure you know everything there is to know about your main, or you will most likely lose because of lack of experience with Pokemon Trainer.

Ørion

Smash Ace
@The Halloween Captain: I'm not sure I would call him the hardest to learn in the game, though he is quite difficult and among the top 5.

Anyway, if you're good, almost any character can be tourny worthy. Look at Gimpyfish and his bowser in melee. PT is not top tier, but IMO he is good enough to do well in a medium tourny if you are good with him

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
@The Halloween Captain: I'm not sure I would call him the hardest to learn in the game, though he is quite difficult and among the top 5.

Anyway, if you're good, almost any character can be tourny worthy. Look at Gimpyfish and his bowser in melee. PT is not top tier, but IMO he is good enough to do well in a medium tourny if you are good with him
PT is easily the hardest to main. I tried Olimar and Snake as well, but perfecting PT so that he is tourney viable is the most brutal challenge Brawl has to offer. And it should be. Mastering PT is the same as mastering three characters at the same time, plus figuring out how to use those characters tag-team style and finding times at which switching between those characters is safe. It almost makes Boss Battles on Intense look like fun.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
cool because that is how i fight. I am familiar with all 3 pokemon. When I first started using him, I wanted a way to be unpredictable and have a good strategy with him that was very effective. Here is what I do and tell me what you think: Squirtle- % racker with his speed Ivy- once opponent is like at 50%+ I finish them, Charizard- my all out brawler, racks up damage and finishes. I have to admit the strategy has worked for me so far.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Many people seem to like to start the match with Ivysaur, so that they only need to do one swap on the first life. However, that seems like the standard way to play him, and your approach is pretty much the same as mine.

The only thing I'd worry about is the fact that I should not have nearly as much experience as you. So if you are ready to use him in a tourney, I, a PT user in friendlies only, should not be able to give much advice that you, an experienced PT user, don't already know.

(I am not trying to discourage you. I am just pointing out that I shouldn't be able to give you much advice on the matter).

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I random with PT every single time. Doesn't matter who comes out first to me, because I'm comfortable with everyone.

And PT is just as tournament viable as anyone else as long as you put the time and effort in. It'll be quite the uphill battle I assure you, but you never know if you'll be the one to change everyone's outlook on him. Go for it.

And don't be afraid to go to the PT boards. There's lots of information there, and we're a pretty tight group. =)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i'm going to come in and say i have a huge ego and say i am one of the most experienced pt's on this site.

Pokemon Trainer is the hardest character to learn. No doubt about it. You triple your learning curve. You have to learn match ups for all three, have to learn how and when to switch, have to learn how to play effectively with all three, etc etc. I'm interested in seeing who you all think is the hardest character if PT isn't it.

Anyway, first we'll assume that you are skilled with all three and have learned everything i mentioned above. In this case, PT is an EXTREMELY tournament worthy character, it's just that tourneys right now aren't reflecting his ability due to the huge learning curve and the game still being relatively new. And players are turned off by the huge learning curve because HEY you can spend about a week learning Metaknight and challenge for first at a local tourney.

But anyway, there is one reason PT can possibly be very very effective:

Pokemon Trainer has VERY FEW bad matchups. The PT board has been discussing, and Metaknight/Game and Watch seem to be the toughest matchups for PT. Perhaps throwing Falco in there. And THAT'S IT. It's actually quite ironic for being a bottom tier at the moment. If you know your Pokemon and the opponent's character, you can use your most effective Pokemon to your advantage.

Also, don't start the match off with one specific Pokemon all the time, because depending on the opponent's character, one of the other two may be a better option.

A Pokemon Trainer of the highest caliber could definitely win a tournament. Unfortunately no one's good enough yet.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
learn to chaingrab and you are set
Unfortunately chaingrabbing is extremely difficult. The timing to transfer the grabbed character between Popo and Nana and back and forth varies based on MANY factors, including the opponent's character weight, their % (It gets harder to do as the % increases), and more, to the point that being able to master their basic chaingrab and being able to use it in a pressuring situation deserves a huge amount of respect.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Just try that in a tourney doing nothing but chaingrabs. See how far you get.

They're definitely up there with Pokemon Trainer in terms of skill needed to master, perhaps more because you're not mastering one character, you're not even mastering two characters. You're mastering the control of TWO AT THE SAME TIME. o,o

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I random with PT every single time. Doesn't matter who comes out first to me, because I'm comfortable with everyone.

And PT is just as tournament viable as anyone else as long as you put the time and effort in. It'll be quite the uphill battle I assure you, but you never know if you'll be the one to change everyone's outlook on him. Go for it.

And don't be afraid to go to the PT boards. There's lots of information there, and we're a pretty tight group. =)
thanks. I'll do that. And I am quite comfortable with all the Pokemon. Thouh I must admit, I do need a little more work. My attacks are somewhat basic, but affective. Though they are easily avoidable. Though I do have a feel for all three and now PKY is my mian.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
i'm going to come in and say i have a huge ego and say i am one of the most experienced pt's on this site.

Pokemon Trainer is the hardest character to learn. No doubt about it. You triple your learning curve. You have to learn match ups for all three, have to learn how and when to switch, have to learn how to play effectively with all three, etc etc. I'm interested in seeing who you all think is the hardest character if PT isn't it.

Anyway, first we'll assume that you are skilled with all three and have learned everything i mentioned above. In this case, PT is an EXTREMELY tournament worthy character, it's just that tourneys right now aren't reflecting his ability due to the huge learning curve and the game still being relatively new. And players are turned off by the huge learning curve because HEY you can spend about a week learning Metaknight and challenge for first at a local tourney.

But anyway, there is one reason PT can possibly be very very effective:

Pokemon Trainer has VERY FEW bad matchups. The PT board has been discussing, and Metaknight/Game and Watch seem to be the toughest matchups for PT. Perhaps throwing Falco in there. And THAT'S IT. It's actually quite ironic for being a bottom tier at the moment. If you know your Pokemon and the opponent's character, you can use your most effective Pokemon to your advantage.

Also, don't start the match off with one specific Pokemon all the time, because depending on the opponent's character, one of the other two may be a better option.

A Pokemon Trainer of the highest caliber could definitely win a tournament. Unfortunately no one's good enough yet.
After a while when I first started playing as PKT I realized that playing as squirtle all the time, would eventually back fire. Rest assure I will come up with a fighting stly with all three pokemon depending on who starts. I hope to fight to where it doesnt matter who comes out first, I will be able to accumulate my strategy and be a decent fighter. For now I am comfortable with starting as Squirtle. Maybe for the rest of this week and while I'm on vacation in the next 2 weeks I will work with starting as Ivy, then start Charizard.

PS- Thanks for comments.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
You can use anyone in a tourny if you are good with them. You don't have to be MK or Snake to win. They are just the characters people get used to using and are hard to fight. Don't let that stop you, though. Just because those two win more tournys doesn't mean they are the only ones that can win.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Yeah, I know. It seems like among these people they are waiting to see a PKT player rise through the ranks and give PKT some recognition. I know outside this thread, if you mentioned the name Pokemon Trainer, you'd be laughed at and called a n00b. I LAWL at those people. I caught on to PKT pretty quickly and as my friend put it a week after he encouraged me to chose another character(which ended up being PKT) he was like "OMG, I have created a Pokemon Trainer God!" ^^' Though he has gotten better since then. I hope in this upcoming tourny that I do well and hopefullay get some publicity for PKT. -.- I only have 2 weeks until that tourny, but I do plan on training this week. and while I'm on vacation. I like PKT, what more can I say, I can be creative with him.

>>> think of this: you play as Squirtle, you can play as floaty characters like TL or if you like spinning like I do, Mario, Ivy, ummm, I'd like to say Zelda, both have juiced special attacks, they are special attack fighters you know. Charaizard, Bowzer(duh). So from one character you would be able to play as so many other characters as back ups. see what i mean?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
One of the most important things to do with PT is be comfterble in his worse character matchups. This is because every pokemon will battle at some point, and sometimes the best pokemon for a given situation is too tired to be used or two swaps away.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
this may not be contributing directly to the thread, but...
i wonder whether or not they'll group PT as a whole in one tier, or put each seperate Pokemon in their own tier...

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Pokemon Trainer needs to swap pokemon, so most likely he alone will be in the tier list, and not the pokemon. After all, the two other characters that transform have a seperate forum for each transformation, but only PT needs to swap characters, so he only gets one forum. This is not set in stone, though, as I am not a Back Roomer.

One a side note, it would be interesting to see how PT rates compared to his pokemon. In theory, the ability to swap should enhance what would otherwise be three mediocre characters. Therefore, PT should be ranked higher than any one of his Pokemon.

I wonder if PT will delay the developement of the tier list. Currently, I have no idea whatsoever how he should be ranked compared to the other characters when considering his potential. Especially since he doing worse than Captain Falcon in tourneys is attributed almost entirely to the tough learning curve PT presents.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
@Halloween: PT is going to be ranked as one character, his 3 pokemon should not be separated because they too have the required switch that you say PT has. I main as PT and I believe he is extremely tournament viable because of the scarcity of good PT mains and only true gangstas are allowed into the PT forums.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Ivysaur is a terrible character, so taking stamina into account can your Squirtile and Charizard beat Snake, MK, D3, Falco, etc? That's really what it comes down to.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Easier said than done. The timing is different for every weight class and becomes faster as your opponent takes more damage. There are also tons of different combinations you have to learn for certain situations too. Don't even get me started on how hard it is to keep the Ice Climbers consistently desynced as well and making sure your opponent doesn't prey on Nana during that time. With that being said, the Ice Climbers are by far the most technical characters in Brawl.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
Ivysaur is a terrible character, so taking stamina into account can your Squirtile and Charizard beat Snake, MK, D3, Falco, etc? That's really what it comes down to.
Ivy is the best spacer in the game. She has great camping skills and good kills. People think she is easily gimped but good Ivys don't get hit often.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ivy is the best spacer in the game. She has great camping skills and good kills. People think she is easily gimped but good Ivys don't get hit often.
The problem with that statement is that is what some good Ikes and Olimars say too but it doesn't change the fact that they are still among the easiest characters to gimp.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
@Turbo: Considering Brawl has only been out for a short time, I think it is unfair to say any character is terrible. Some characters were just easier to quickly pick up. It took years for people to master Sheik in Melee.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
@Turbo: Considering Brawl has only been out for a short time, I think it is unfair to say any character is terrible. Some characters were just easier to quickly pick up. It took years for people to master Sheik in Melee.
And it only takes an hour or two to master a character in Brawl (unless it's Snake).

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Everyone is tourney worthy.
>_<

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
The key to maining PT is knowing who to use in the right situation. I like to start with Ivysaur to rack up some damage with Bullet Seed/A Tap, then switch to Charizard for the kill, or if my damage % is up. Squirtle, I tend to not use very often, but when the situation calls for it, I can use him fairly well.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
you need to be uber with all three.
NO you don't. When i play as PT i only use Squirtle and Ivysaur. Just because you're good with all 3 doesn't make you good as a whole. There is a strategical element that plays as a factor when playing as PT.

@first post: If you feel comfortable enough to play with PKT go ahead. It all depends on what you want.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i'd say PT requires the most strategy of any character in the game. it's not just learning to be good with all three pokes, which is a ***** task in and of itself :laugh:

as i learn more about pt, i'm starting to think that in a couple years pt's will start placing at more tournaments, but still few wins. mid tier, probably. it's a shame that ivysaur's recovery is so horrid and squirtle has little range.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Why couldn't they just call Pokemon Trainer Ash? :laugh:

Seriously though, the character should of just been called Team 1337.
to be serious a bit (due to the fact that this is a common belief)

A: Sakurai tired to avoid using characters from the anime as much as possible, but he might have gave up when he was designing Lucario (who is best explained by being the Lucario from the 8th movie due to the fact that he can talk, which normal Lucario's can't)

B: The Trainer is not Ash, but a character from the videogames named Red. Ash's design was based off Red, but Red himself never appeared in the anime (or had a potential cameo). Red was the male trainer you play as in Red/Blue/green (in Japan)/Firered/Leafgreen, aka the Kanto trainer.

C: Where did you come up with team 1337?

Top Bottom