• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Luigi Underrated?

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
:chuckle: I don't think the Green Guy gets credit. He has always been Mario's underdog but I have to say he is the one that has been my favorite the entire time, not Mario. I think this guy jumps higher, has more air time, and is quite possibly faster than Mario.. and he's not that weak! The only annoying thing about the Guy in Green is his dash attack, talk about annoying....horrible knock back and weak damage. Anyways leave your thoughts on the matter. I think Luigi is better than Mario and Doc.

Metà

Smash Master
Yes, Luigi has always been my favourite as well. I used to play two player in the older Mario games, just to skip Mario and play as Luigi. As far as Luigi being under-rated goes, I'd say he's in the middle somewhere. Clearly the MBR doesn't think very highly of them, putting him in low tier, and below Link! But at every tourney I go to, Luigi players are often praised for playing Luigi. I guess he's just that awesome. Anyway, Luigi has always been > Mario.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Anyway, Luigi has always been > Mario.
Right. And that's precisely why Luigi has such overwhelming, dominating matchups in Top/Upper tier. . .it seems fairly obvious to me, and everyone else, that no Fox/Flaco/Sheik/Marth/Peach can even come close to wrecking Luigi. At all. Especially considering Luigi's wondrous recovery skills, his lighting-quick aerial movement when he's airborne, and his complete inability to die off the top due to his floatiness.

. . .Mario is better than Luigi ONLY because he tends to have better matchups in general, especially in Top/Upper tier. And in that respect, Luigi gets as much credit as he deserves.

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
I have always played Luigi over Mario in every game. Luigi is my close secondary in melee, next to Yoshi. My Luigi has a much better wavedash, and edge hog than my Yoshi. Luigi in melee was better than Luigi in regular smash. I think Luigi would be 50X better if his dash attack was the same attack as Dr. Mario and Mario. LUIGI ROCKS:).

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
I seemed to be better with Luigi on 64 than I am in Melee, but his dash attack reall sucks...usually I'll just use an usmash or dsmash, but usually I just SH into a fsmash (very good move)

Luigi is deadly in a capable player's hands, and possibly one of the best characters in the game. He has great arial attacks and a great jump, and is one of the quicker attack players

Elemennopee

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere cool..... Somewhere in a cave....A speci
There are already people that can do that, but they still don't win because Luigi simply isn't a good character. Sure, he has great aerials, a decent approach, and good vertical combos, but he is serverely disadvantaged against excellent characters such as Captain Falcon, Sheik, Falco, Fox, Marth, Peach, ICs, Samus, Doc, Gannondorf, and Jigglypuff.

Mostly because they are all better than him, obviously.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Luigi is deadly in a capable player's hands, and possibly one of the best characters in the game. He has great arial attacks and a great jump, and is one of the quicker attack players
I'm acting like an ***, but your reasoning here is unsubstantiated. So:

Barrel-Cannon Jumper-Inner said:
Falcon is deadly in a capable player's hands, and possibly one of the best characters in the game. He has great arial attacks and a great jump, and is one of the quicker attack players
Sheik is deadly in a capable player's hands, and possibly one of the best characters in the game. He has great arial attacks and a great jump, and is one of the quicker attack players
Marth is deadly in a capable player's hands, and possibly one of the best characters in the game. He has great arial attacks and a great jump, and is one of the quicker attack players
Effusive fanboy rantings are less than informative. As you can see.

you dont understand the point... Luigi is underestimated, maybe his size or his under-usage...no one expects to get hit by his speed AND rather decent power. those characters you listed, Falcon, Shiek, and marth, are all known to have speed. people know what to expect out of them, especially marth. Luigi is expected to be a punching bag, easily defeated by a quick rush-attack combo.

Endurance

Smash Apprentice
Yes - Luigi is severly underated. As link said, he is the underdog. Mainly, he's not even anything. He's always ignored in the games.

I like Luigi better then Mario. I like how he look's and I like his jump's in the mario games, and I just like how he act's in the games that he get's rarely thrown into.
He rarely get's a game. He's gotten a few yes.. Say Luigi's Mansion. But it's like there not putting much effort into luigi.

You always hear people talking about mario.. but there the mario BROTHERS.
And I like using luigi in super smash bros melee. He's a fun character to play.

Percon

Smash Lord
No, I think that Luigi is where he should be on the tier list. That being said, he just may be the most fun character to use. And hey, I'm not going to be fighting any metagame Marths anytime soon, so I can do just fine with him.

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone else noticed that Luigi ALWAYS jumps higher if not the same height as Mario in every game they are in together? Mario is supposed to be world known FOR HIS JUMP...yet Luigi is looked past?

Metà

Smash Master
Eggz, don't be hatin'. Luigi was unfairly treated in Melee (even more so in 64), but in all other games, Luigi > Mario. That's what I meant when I said that earlier.

Endurance

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone else noticed that Luigi ALWAYS jumps higher if not the same height as Mario in every game they are in together? Mario is supposed to be world known FOR HIS JUMP...yet Luigi is looked past?
Well, i've thought of that. As you said, Luigi jump's higher. And he floats down. And as you said, he gets shoved to the side. Why?! He jump's higher and floats down. He's mainly mario but with higher jumps.

And he get's ignored for that?!
I mean seriously. Even if mario has tons more games - doesn't mean luigi shouldn't get loved.
:p

Luigi = Mario clone wearing green+blue, but is taller and skinnier, and can jump higher.
So luigi is just mario advanced. And for some reason - nintendo ignore's the little dude. So do nintendo fan's ( Well nearly all of them. )

It's sad ..
:ohwell:

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
you dont understand the point... Luigi is underestimated, maybe his size or his under-usage...no one expects to get hit by his speed AND rather decent power. those characters you listed, Falcon, Shiek, and marth, are all known to have speed. people know what to expect out of them, especially marth. Luigi is expected to be a punching bag, easily defeated by a quick rush-attack combo.
That's a poor excuse. If you're not familiar with how any member of the cast plays, what strategies they use, and what kind of techniques they employ, then you don't deserve to call yourself a smasher. Any half-decent smasher out there should be knowledgeable enough about Smash by this point in the metagame to recognize each characters' strengths and weaknesses.

If someone "underestimates" Luigi, and doesn't expect short-hopped double aerials, vert combos with sex kick/u-tilt/d-smash ending in chops, wavedash rushdown with wavetilts/jabs/grabs, and they lose because of it, they're either crappy players or ill-informed.

Your entire argument that Luigi is underestimated is pointless because the metagame assumes that people have a reasonable understanding of the characters involved. Being underrated is different, because "underrated" implies that people value his attacks/strategies/matchups less than they deserve. Which simply isn't the case. As I've said before, Luigi is EXACTLY where he is on the tiers because he has generally awful matchups in Top/Upper tier.

That's all.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
Well, i love luigi, he is mi main, but luigi isnt a top, high, or mid tier just for onw reason, he fly to much when u get hit, and u can die rapidly no matter if u have low percentage and no matter eader how much u can float in air, so the secret to be a nice luigi, is try to dodge every single hit, and make greats combo on ur opponents.. so u hurt him fastest possible..

Kiris

Smash Cadet
Yes, Luigi has always been my favourite as well. I used to play two player in the older Mario games, just to skip Mario and play as Luigi. As far as Luigi being under-rated goes, I'd say he's in the middle somewhere. Clearly the MBR doesn't think very highly of them, putting him in low tier, and below Link! But at every tourney I go to, Luigi players are often praised for playing Luigi. I guess he's just that awesome. Anyway, Luigi has always been > Mario.
Link IS better than Luigi, deal with it. And yeah, Luigi is awesome. Might be underated, but anyone who care's more about playing someone in the high tier list than the character they like is a fool.

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
Hey Kiris
How come I've four stocked a couple different Links before... including HellaNick's link and Mike Haze's link. I can beat links.... they aren't better than Luigi it's just a challenge since they can reach farther with their sword. But Links.... they ain't Marths, you know what I mean.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
This is confusing... Anyways, Luigi is right where he belongs in the teir list as far as I'm concerned. He's good but he's not as good as Link(Aniki = Link, Link = too good Q.E.D) Luigi can overcome many of his bad matchups if skilled enough, but his weaknesses can be too great to ignore against great Foxes and Marths.

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
Well... I guess if someone has Link expirience they can overcome a Link. They just need expirience with a cirtain character. Because I know how to combo a Link, so I guess that help, and I know what a Link can do. But idk I've never faced Aniki or Germ but I know that a really skilled Luigi can do really good vs a Link and all those other characters

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Luigi is underrated, but he's only one step above Link

I'd write more, but typing with the Wiimote is kinda tiresome

technomancer

Smash Champion
I'd say if anyone is underrated, it's not Luigi. I think everyone pretty much knows right about where Luigi stands if they've seen a good one play.

I'm not saying he sucks, I'm just saying that most people don't even think he's bad.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I think this guy jumps higher, has more air time, and is quite possibly faster than Mario.. I think Luigi is better than Mario and Doc.
Of course he jumps higher

How he is faster than mario, unless you're talking about wding, he's not. The way you phrased it seemed like you were talking about running speed, if that is the case you are wrong.

I think he is slightly underrated, maybe should be moved up one spot on the tiers.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
Luigi is only underrated by people who literally know nothing about him other than the fact that he has a long wavedash. Most of the Smash community recognizes his potential fairly accurately, and so he's placed pretty fairly in the tier list. Luigi players overrate him immensely sometimes.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I think Luigi is WAY underrated. I think he should be at LEAST around Doc. He has great ground mobility with his freggin long WD. He has uber powerful aerials, and he can put his Up+B and Down+B moves to betteruse in battle. His recovery covers a greater distance, and no matter how far you knock Luigi out into the blastzone, he should still have a chance to get back because of misfires.

gtfo

Smash Apprentice
I love luigi, he fits my play style. Im just good with floaty characters I guess, but he is not underrated. Sorry.

Two.Of.Hearts

Smash Apprentice
Based on the original post, (and those subsequent) it seems pretty impossible to figure out if we're arguing about Luigi the smash character, or Luigi the persona in general.

But in any case, I only have two words to add to the matter:

John Leguizamo

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Luigi is right where he should be. Fast aerials and a long wavedash don't compensate for floatiness and the worst recovery in the game.

Top Bottom