• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Luigi Underrated?

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Luigi is very underrated and it makes me angry.:mad:

His recovery is decent if you use your second jump after getting as far as you can to the stage with his <-B, then at this point it is a lot easier.

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
I think Luigi's recovery is probably the best... well maybe not as good as Samus' but better than most of the other characters. Fox's is good but Luigi has great horizontal and vertical recovery if you know how to do it right.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Luigi is only underrated by people who literally know nothing about him other than the fact that he has a long wavedash. Most of the Smash community recognizes his potential fairly accurately, and so he's placed pretty fairly in the tier list. Luigi players overrate him immensely sometimes.
Agree.

He has some serious problems that can't be fixed. His Up+B only going vertically hurts him a lot against someone that knows how to edgehog, he can't get within Samus' or Marth's range easily. Fox shines him to death and Falco can pillar him at low percents (and the lasers cut his speed down to nothing). Falcon can beat him up (like Falcon does to all floaties) and Peach has more priority than Luigi (which is insane enough).

He's great against everyone below him on the tier list and he can juggle those fastfallers, but his bad matchups against the top tiers hurt his tournament-worthiness a lot. He's rated just about right.

Sensai

Smash Master
Simple answer to this question is no.

The longer, less sugar coated answer is that the answer depends on who is asking the question. I'd explain, but you should just read Pneuma's post.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I think Luigi's recovery is probably the best...
Ever heard of edge hogging? Also, a shine spike/shine near the ledge from fox to edgehog can zero death him. Oh yeah, your the guy who though luigi ***** fox and falco.

Agree.

He has some serious problems that can't be fixed. His Up+B only going vertically hurts him a lot against someone that knows how to edgehog, he can't get within Samus' or Marth's range easily. Fox shines him to death and Falco can pillar him at low percents (and the lasers cut his speed down to nothing). Falcon can beat him up (like Falcon does to all floaties) and Peach has more priority than Luigi (which is insane enough).

He's great against everyone below him on the tier list and he can juggle those fastfallers, but his bad matchups against the top tiers hurt his tournament-worthiness a lot. He's rated just about right.
You stated it much better than I could. I was going to, but realized everyone else could say it better than me, so thank yuo for stating it very well.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
Exactly what everyone else says. Luigi's higher tier matchups are crap. Seriously, they're awful. I play luigi almost exclusively in teams, they're so bad.

SilverDraco134

Smash Cadet
I've been using him to practice wave dashing. I would think you'd need to master wave dashing and smashing plus his aerials to really make him a tough cookie.

Sensai

Smash Master
Lixivium said:
Okay, maybe not the worst, but Ness, Ganondorf...
Woah woah woah...Ganon's recovery is actually really good...where in the world did you get the idea that it was bad?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Woah woah woah...Ganon's recovery is actually really good...where in the world did you get the idea that it was bad?
I don't mean in terms of pure distance, I mean bad in terms of how easy it is to edgeguard.

Same with Luigi - you can return from just about anywhere with the F-B, D-B, and Up-B, but what good is it when the other player can just jump out and hit you with impunity? (Most of the time)

InfiniteFalco1337

Smash Cadet
Okay, maybe not the worst, but Ness, Ganondorf, and Falco are the only characters I can think of with arguably worse recoveries.
.................ok ganondorf has a great recovery, ness eh im not good with him but ness players know how to get around that, falco does have a bad recovery. luigi's recovery isnt the worst but its certainly not the best(by far):laugh:

nublet06

Smash Lord
i think luigi's matchups are greatly misunderstood. along with his recovery. which in turn makes him underrated.

it isnt until you get luigi so far away from the level....that he relies on his up b sweet spot....that he has a bad recovery. and that isnt until very high percentage. and even then...you can pull some tricks off. id say sheik, falcon, marth, falco, zelda, pika, pichu, ness, and game and watch ALL have recoveries that are easier to edge gaurd than luigi's. a very underestimated recovery. i think its biggest down fall, is that if your opponent actually gets hit by your side b.....you are pretty screwed. but id be willing to say that nobody thinks of doing this (except me :p )

luigi does well on sheik, fox, falco, and marth. people who say otherwise honestly dont know how to play againt the characters properly, or simply never get to play agaisnt those characters. sheik and falco are possibly the worst of the 4 because they have the best levels to utilize agaisnt luigi. Characters like ganon, jiggs, zelda, samus, and peach pose some larger problems because thay can not be combod nearly as well as the 4 top characters. (cept peach can be combod fairly well, its her priority and recovery that become a problem)

Jiggs can use spacing with back airs to literally make it impossible to be reached. and can bait luigi into wavedashing into an f smash very esily. Ganondorf has great range, power to make luigi's recovery non existant, and he is a pain in the *** to edge gaurd. Zelda can not be combod, out ranges luigi with fair/dair plus luigi will wavedash into her powerfull moves a lot since she is not really fast enough to do anything except jump and do a move. samus has a rigged sex kick, doesnt get combod, and edge gaurds luigi better than almost any other character, PLUS she out survives luigi. and peach is close to even but can really give luigi problems because her priority is better than his. something that is pretty rare. i also find crouch canceling to be a pain for luigi.

sheik can be rediculously combod, and all she can resort to is needle camping and grab whoring. this makes her game one dimensional and vbery predictable, giving you an advantage. up throw and down throw can lead to down airs and chops. up tilt is great on sheik. and you can force her to recover on the stage for major punishent.....OR wavedash back and bair her before she ups b. recovering can be a pain agaisnt luigi.

with luigis sheild in hevay use agaisnt marth, all he can truely count on is grabbing luigi (which can be side stepped and cause A LOT of toruble for marth). the thing is....when marth grabs luigi there is very little that cant be DI'd out of. All marth really has is his difficulty to be combod in the air, and pretty **** good edge gaurding on luigi. but his range is canceled out by luigi's ability to wavedash out of a shield, and wavetilt super fast. plus luigi has great combos out of down throws and very good edge ghaurding on marth because of the wavedash edge hog, light shield edgehog, and back airs.

fox and falco can be combo'd better than any other character by luigi. and they are started with close to 6 different moves from luigi. they still do well however because of Fox's great verticle KO and shine. and falco has the lasers and rigged priority with dair. these are more of 50-50 maches that IMO have a small advantage for luigi because of the better combo ability. a very level dependent pair of matchups.

IMO the top tier troubles luigi faces are far less significant than the annoyingness and lack of options luigi faces with the other characters i listed.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
:cry: That was ****in beautiful! ROFL for prez!

I completely agree with that. With the exception of falco's lasers and a certain down-tilting marth:mad:, I don't feel 'outclassed' when playing any upper-tier characters because they have the upper hand on luigi. He has quite a few tricks to use for punishment, and every match that I've lost to those characters was pretty much due to a skill difference(that's rapidly closing...watch out Ken). Peach, Samus and Jiggs are definitely the more difficult character matchups(and Yoshi, to some extent).

Luigi's recovery is also misunderstood. In the event that you have to recover from pretty much the edge of the screen(which is more than possible, even without the misfire) or from beneath the camera, his Up+b rides the wall so nicely that you can pretty much tech until the cows come home if you can't get the perfect sweetspot. Even though you're still taking damage while teching, it's a helluvalot better than getting spiked/f-smashed/etc...

I'm not sure whether or not luigi is underrated. Actually, I'm just not sure how to answer that question. Most negativity towards him is due to common misconceptions such as "So and so(fox) ***** luigi and there's nothing he can do!!!11." I definitely think statements such as that one are false, but luigi(like all other characters) has his flaws.

nublet06

Smash Lord
yeah luigi is great for teching. its so dang easy to tech when recovering. BUT, the smarter player will edge hog. leaving you with nothing to do if you are very low.

the bottom line is, smahs brothers is a very even game for a fighter. counters are never THAT important.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
I love playing against the fastfallers and Sheik because I know I can pull off some fan-****ing-tastic combos. The only problem of course is that they don't need to pull off combos against Luigi, they just need to hit him.

About his Up+b for recovery, it is REALLY REALLY terrible. If the other person has the experience, they know that all they have to do is hold onto the edge and roll. The tornado is great for recovery (and I'm still amazed I can do it), but will not help when they just hog the edge. Since Up+b will never push you over the edge, the life or death of every stock will come down to the timing on the other person's edgeroll. And that's pretty lame.

Has anyone else noticed that Luigi ALWAYS jumps higher if not the same height as Mario in every game they are in together? Mario is supposed to be world known FOR HIS JUMP...yet Luigi is looked past?
this is very true, he does jump higher, and doesnt seem to get much credit for it. Maybe people tend to like fat people clad in red clothing better...

J-Red

Smash Cadet
I just started using Luigi and I am in love with him. I main Link though so its kinda hard getting used to Luigi's short hop when Links is so natural. But with getting back on a stage with Luigi is it more effective to F-B then Up-B or D-B then Up-B?

Top Bottom