• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Luigi just trash in this game or something?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I think in the end all that matters is if I can effectively play as him and adjust myself to any playstyle changes.

64: Err...I hate to see it, but I may have played Mario more here. Asides from the better up B, he was literally worse in everything sides jump height :[. Now THIS was a bottom tier Luigi. Not Smash 4.

Melee: All about the Wavedash and all powerful fair and dair. Actually asides from those 3 attributes and a super powerful misfire [that sometime resulted in SDs due to terribad recovery] he was really poor. Combo game was ok though, only with wavedashes.

Brawl: Tied with Smash 4 as my favorite playstyle, about that insanly high Kill power into f smash and up B. Recovery was also beautiful. Smashes were great, U tilt was nice. Everything else was ok, tornado was average. Combos weren't amazing. But felt balanced.

Smash 4: Also a great Luigi, trades kill power and recovery for insane combos, and slightly faster ground speed and fireballs. I focus now more on damage racking instead of landing early F smashes and Up Bs, along with offstage game. Luigi couldn't do anything offstage in Brawl, but at least he has an option now [Dair spike]. Just hope you make it back on stage! [His recovery is overexaggerated in terms of why people say it's bad]

IMO for Luigi: Brawl=Smash 4>Melee>>>>>64.

XAQuiri!

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1203-9256-6235
Luigi is my Melee main due to being so versatile once you master his advanced techniques. Both Brawl and Smash 4 have terribly nerfed him by removing Melee's physics exploits that made it do easy to create a unique playstyle. That said, he still has potential to be a strong character when utilized by players who are able to be creative in utilizing his quirks and weaknesses.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
He's one of the few characters I haven't played alot with yet but want to. I played a good Luigi earlier as DK, his dthrow combo'd into aerials when I was at 100%+, that's something.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
A Luigi player won a major Smash tournament earlier today.

I'm inclined to say that he was just being slept on after seeing that performance.

Last edited:

Merkabo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Merkabo
3DS FC
2895-8009-7813
I'm honestly not surprised. Everyone's alot closer together than we think in sm4sh. I feel like everyone still got this melee mindset and think the game has 5 tiers. Skills gonna be defined more by creative use of moves in this game for sure. Which funnily, luigi excels at that.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Lots of chars are being slept on or labelled as "bad". I'm angry it takes winning a major to be considered any sort of threat but I'm happy for Luigi. He's def. underrated and really good, far from worst in the game, VERY far.

Of course keep in mind it's also Boss who is legitimately godlike and was amazing with Luigi in Brawl, and with this game having universally better balance than Brawl and with Luigi having a bit more options....

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I don't think he's bad he just needs to get his momentum. I mean he can kill REALLY fast if you know what characters down b up b works on or have other kill set ups. (ive never seen spin dash stopped so many times...)

Last edited:

Merkabo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Merkabo
3DS FC
2895-8009-7813
I'm starting to notice once you get used to his odd movements, he combos the best out of everyone I've played. O_o

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Not only are they good they give you nice set ups into down b for kills on light characters, double spikes just in case your opponent fails to tech the first one, and a throw reset into up b. so many ways to kill and his approach options are above average in my opinion.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Next time I'm going to actually go offstage. I should've gimped :4luigi: everytime I sent him flying. I also wasn't fully aware my uthrow combo'd into uair/fair/bair at most percents.

Oh well. Me and Boss are 2-2 now in smash 4. Till next time!

:018:

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Next time I'm going to actually go offstage. I should've gimped :4luigi: everytime I sent him flying. I also wasn't fully aware my uthrow combo'd into uair/fair/bair at most percents.

B-O-S-S! What's that spell? Boss! Goooooooooooo, Boss!

Boss, Boss, you're the boss! When you're with Luigi, you're never at a loss!

#CheerleadingForBoss

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
B-O-S-S! What's that spell? Boss! Goooooooooooo, Boss!

Boss, Boss, you're the boss! When you're with Luigi, you're never at a loss!

#CheerleadingForBoss
Seeing how good he is now, just imagine how much more destruction he'll cause with some chain grabs!

hey_there

Smash Journeyman

Well since you're here, do you have any advice for a Luigi main that got blown away by a Sonic on FG? This guy was really good, doing all the Sonic tricks, and I had a tough time against him. Since you've clearly a solid player and an excellent Sonic main that's going even against Boss now, can you tell me what I, as a Luigi main, can do to give Sonic some real trouble? And what sort of things do you look to take advantage of against Luigi? Your insight would be really valuable =P.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I have issues fighting fox and falco with luigi but I have almost no issue fighting shiek and a relatively easy time fighting robin. I think robin will be a very easy match due to our fireballs nullifying almost all of robins projectiles.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I have issues fighting fox and falco with luigi but I have almost no issue fighting shiek and a relatively easy time fighting robin. I think robin will be a very easy match due to our fireballs nullifying almost all of robins projectiles.
Funny cause Fox feels like one of Luigi's best matchups...no stunning projectile, easiest thing ever to combo next to DDD, dies very quickly, easy to set up a dair spike on...the only thing Fox has in this matchup is the ability to run circles around Luigi and reflect fireballs. But all he can do is rack damage, not much of a gimper.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Funny cause Fox feels like one of Luigi's best matchups...no stunning projectile, easiest thing ever to combo next to DDD, dies very quickly, easy to set up a dair spike on...the only thing Fox has in this matchup is the ability to run circles around Luigi and reflect fireballs. But all he can do is rack damage, not much of a gimper.
Im most likely playing that match up backwards. I still win in the match he just feels a bit annoying.

Top Bottom