• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Link tourny viable in Brawl?

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
imo, its not the fact that hes somewhat worse than his melee self but his terrible recovery. It's pretty normal for me to score 20% gimps on link at times.

Heevar_Lewlson

Smash Cadet
^That seemed awfully situational.
here's a once in a lifetime Gale Boomerang awesome
Oh yeah, it's extremely situational and surprised even me, I thought I aimed it so it would fly onto the stage and stall him a bit, didn't think I'd kill him off a fresh stock ;) I don't ever plan on having that sweet a victory ever again lol. Just showing it never hurts to toss it out when you have enough time to get back safely. I wouldn't exactly count on this winning you a tourney though...

imo, its not the fact that hes somewhat worse than his melee self but his terrible recovery. It's pretty normal for me to score 20% gimps on link at times.
Between that and the wonky ledges on FD, I lost track of how many <30% stocks I lost. It really hurts when you barrel headfirst into the bottom of the ledge for a full second then die :(

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
any good melee player knows it was just a high speed camping game brawl is no different it's just slower and not as flashy, Link in brawl my rate on him hmmm he's bad like really bad if theres a tier list out for brawl I'd put link in the lowest possible tier list, the only worse character then link is ganon (good **** nintendo) sure he might do ok vs some characters but theres just so many characters that everyone has a decent match up so saying that means nothing really. he's got projectiles cool that makes him decent but i love how everyone but Link can roll throw items good **** nintendo at ****in up your number 1 character. his hookshot recovery is terribly useless SHEIKS forward B is 10 times better cause it's actually useable samuss air hookshot is actually useable too cause it has range and comes out quick Links doesn't and has no range useless his up B is so bad now too everything about it is nerfed even recovering back to the stage you can't move forward that well ater doing it wow and it's as short as 64 links and even the damage it does in the air is nothing doesn't suck them in nor kill, it has no range is doesn't spike wow it's terrible the tornado range is kinda sweet but honestly the melee and sbb64 was better hitting them on the way back was way more useful espically in this game, bombs i guess are good but every other character can use them better then he can even with the roll throw. his arrows are cool cause they quicker but if you don't charge it and just shoot it it goes pretty far, but this is brawl faster play isn't as good I would prefer his older melee arrows casuse i can control where i want the arrows to go were in brawl it goes far without chargin it I'd rather use the slower short range one at least for brawl links arrows in brawl woulda been great in melee though. so his projectiles aren't too well and thats all he's got right?

Skler

Smash Master
any good melee player knows it was just a high speed camping game brawl is no different it's just slower and not as flashy
In Melee you could approach without getting *****. Camping wasn't the only viable option like it is in Brawl. With the rewards for approaching being so great (combos that could potentially lead to death) you could approach and still win once you found a hole in the camper's strategy. Uh...that's pretty off topic though.

Aside from that, I don't know about the lowest tier (some characters don't even have projectiles to help vs campers) but I would place Link pretty low. What about poor old captain falcon? The man is terrible now, no approach and no projectiles. As far as tournaments go Link may be ok against Snake...

Heevar_Lewlson

Smash Cadet
In Melee you could approach without getting *****
Yeah... I'm trying to play Link more aggressively without as much emphasis on camping, and it's not working out too well heh. I'm not one to aim to place high in tourneys (haven't gone to one ever, don't see myself getting good enough to go to one either in the near future) but I might be able to refine it a bit to work more reliably in friendlies at least. That being said, I don't see an approach based style achieving plausible tourney results as of now, if ever. I do like Brawl better than Melee imo, but it's hard to adjust to "Approach = Get Punished" after playing Melee for so long. That and that lack of L-canceling lol. I don't know how many stocks I burned off a botched Down-Air that I thought I could L-cancel. Habits suck:dizzy:

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
To me, Link's heavy weight feels nonexistant. If Link cant recover... he dies at low % anyways. So your basically playing a slow character that is easily KO, and only has mediocre KO power. He should have more moves that can KO people with besides D-air. His Gale boomerang is a gimmick, as it wont stun opponents on the way back to Link, and it wont do damage on its rebound. The only way you can use Link in tournaments and win... is if your able to choose a stage that would be easy to recover onto, like bridge of Eldin, or green greens. Green greens is the best stage to use Link on in my opinion, with the low ceiling, and he is able to recover onto it, as well as explode those block bombs with his projectiles, adding to his camping game. So if you play Link on the right stage your chances of winning would probably double or triple at the best.
I really miss Melee Link.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
I don't main link, but i'm willing to risk him on any stage... as for kill potential Dair isn't the only thing, theres also Up smash lol. On that note... i do miss melee link, but complaining isn't going to do anything, might as well adapt.

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
and melee approaching just got you kiled by dumb characters such as marth jiggs ICs fox since all they do is dash dance wait for you to come in or fox shoots lazers not having to approach or jiggs faking to come at you and jumping back. melee was just a high speed flashy lookin campy game thats how it ended

falcon can at least kill he's still bad but some characters that don't have projectiles are still decent such as marth ike metaknight wario GW squritle probably others I'm not sure hell all those characters are actually pretty good heh, and all the characters that have projectiles(the good characters) have actual decent projectiles where as in my last post i discuss how Links projectiles aren't that good. I guess the bottom bottom tier if theres 3 characters to put on the bottom who would you put? most likely Link would be one of those 3, someones gotta be bad in the game you can't not have that so whos bad Ganons bad Sonics bad and Links bad forgive me i haven't played everyone yet but i know bowser is better than Link

Heevar_Lewlson

Smash Cadet
u-smash doesn't kill until like.. 160%-180%?
u-tilt or d-smash is better
Yeah I've had more luck with those two. Up-smash can kill, but it seems if they're high enough to be knocked off by the third hit, they can DI out of the hits before then. And usually they won't just waltz in and jump into the 3rd hit, but sometimes you get lucky :)

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
if you considered mewtwo or bowser tourny viable in melee than you can consider Link but we all know that they weren't honestly but Links at the bottom of the list as they were just compare them to those characters and you'll get your answer

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
What disappoints me so much is just how short Link's weaponry and combat capabilities fall of their host game counterparts. Hookshot's range and lag? Garbage compared to the Zelda counterparts. The bow? You only need to look at Pit's arrows, which are maneuverable and can pile more damage without the actual lag or crap range. The boomerang? *****, please, it doesn't even live up to the marvel it was in Twilight Princess. Bombs? Should do considerably more damage than some instantly shot and far-reaching projectile, not to mention more knockback. If you get hit by a bomb, it should be lethal at higher %'s. Master sword range doesn't meet the TP counterpart, nor is it as fluid besides the jab combo. The spin attack would be so much better if it dragged in ala TL. Talk about the shield! Link's shield should be functional-- if not one of the best shielding abilities-- in Brawl. Introducing the shield into offensive and defensive combat capabilities could've had so much potential...

On another note, there is simply no reason to play Link over TL.

-- The greater range Link has is made up by TL's greater agility and speed.
-- It's absurd how the infant version can hit just as hard as the adult version of Link, not to mention combo'ing better.
-- As was mentioned previously, Link doesn't feel like a heavyweight despite having garbage jumping heights and so-so air-game. He simply does not feel as fluid as in Zelda games.
-- While Link and TL should have been greatly differentiated in mechanics, the only difference in Brawl is that TL is simply a better version of Link.

Meh, then again, most of my favorite character apear to be ending on the middle tier...

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Finally, I've been longing for another poster to have a debate with, unfortunately this guy right here will be ***** so hard he won't even notice his butthole is getting teared apart.

What disappoints me so much is just how short Link's weaponry and combat capabilities fall of their host game counterparts
What in god's name are you talking about? Every character takes damage, the Galerang pushes and pulls opponents (if you don't suck) regardless of who they are, and every character (for the most part) flinches to Link's arrows. Your statement makes little sense, just stick to Zelda knowledge (although I highly doubt you are even capable of knowing that) and go away.
Hookshot's range and lag? Garbage compared to the Zelda counterparts.
Guys Zelda has a hookshot now get out the way we can't use it anymore because she has one too of great im so ****ed now

The bow? You only need to look at Pit's arrows, which are maneuverable and can pile more damage without the actual lag or crap range.
I don't know about you, but when I crouch I hear a ding and the arrows go into my shield. But you're playing zelda and comparing Link's tools to other characters specials and getting every statement wrong so whatever
The boomerang? *****, please, it doesn't even live up to the marvel it was in Twilight Princess.
Bull**** and I honestly just want to ****ing kill you right now. Not only does that statement make no sense and gives me a headache, but it makes no sense and it gives me a headache. I know that you probably don't live near Skler, Deva, or I (best Links, don't debate it because you know you're wrong), but it's no excuse to make yourself look like an idiot and make completely false statements. The galerang is one of Link's best options (when used right) and it certaintly was an awesome tool in TP. Just shut up and stop posting.

Bombs? Should do considerably more damage than some instantly shot and far-reaching projectile, not to mention more knockback. If you get hit by a bomb, it should be lethal at higher %'s.
Sure, while we're at it let's make all of Mario's attacks long range 1hitkills that'd be so much fun!
Master sword range doesn't meet the TP counterpart, nor is it as fluid besides the jab combo. The spin attack would be so much better if it dragged in ala TL. Talk about the shield! Link's shield should be functional-- if not one of the best shielding abilities-- in Brawl.
I hope you never go into the game-creating business, your lack of balance and logic are way off-non existent, at the most. I give you this answer only because I have no idea what drug(s) you were on when you were typing this.

Introducing the shield into offensive and defensive combat capabilities could've had so much potential...
oh sure I wish link could throw his shield too just like in TP when captain america came out and shot everybody

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/media/2007/12/vii-2-pink.jpg
On another note, there is simply no reason to play Link over TL.

-- The greater range Link has is made up by TL's greater agility and speed.
-- It's absurd how the infant version can hit just as hard as the adult version of Link, not to mention combo'ing better.
-- As was mentioned previously, Link doesn't feel like a heavyweight despite having garbage jumping heights and so-so air-game. He simply does not feel as fluid as in Zelda games.
-- While Link and TL should have been greatly differentiated in mechanics, the only difference in Brawl is that TL is simply a better version of Link.

Meh, then again, most of my favorite character apear to be ending on the middle tier...[/QUOTE]

Having read this post throughly enough I can honestly say that you don't have a wii, nor are you playing your copy of Brawl on any wii at all, but this contraption that you have mistaken for a wii.

*For those of you ignorant welshes, this is a Vii. The chinese ripoff of the Wii. I'm being completely serious, as always.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
... Where do you get the idea I'm saying this from the Zelda character perspective? In fact, your whole misconstruing of my comments is either best taken as a jest or just as another reason to ignore your characteristic conniptions fits that take place whenever you're looking to kill time.

Read the quoted posts again. If you ever come to comprehend the meaning behind them, I might even consider a response to your obvious trolling attempts painted up as "debate".

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
... Where do you get the idea I'm saying this from the Zelda character perspective? In fact, your whole misconstruing of my comments is either best taken as a jest or just as another reason to ignore your characteristic conniptions fits that take place whenever you're looking to kill time.

Read the quoted posts again. If you ever come to comprehend the meaning behind them, I might even consider a response to your obvious trolling attempts painted up as "debate".
and now he runs like a scared little dog with his tail between his legs. You might want to put forth a proper response, if you can even take the two hours it probably took you to write a complete sentence.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
What pisses me off is that Link A combo have more range than his freaking up b. That move should have the most melee range, IMO.

His grab is too freaking slow, I can't shield grab out of an A combo, while most other characters can. Lag is way too long too, especially for its pitiful range, while with others, the grab animation doesn't even show that the opponent is touched, but you still get grabbed anyway, from a good amount of empty space.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
and now he runs like a scared little dog with his tail between his legs. You might want to put forth a proper response, if you can even take the two hours it probably took you to write a complete sentence.
You could use some time to write up actually intelligent responses; the pretense gets old after a while. Way to avoid my question.

Goodbye, Trollie.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
As someone mentioned earlier, going wire to wire with Link is probably a ggnore situation. I'd imagine the best way to use Link would be to do what Aniki did in Melee; used Link vs. Fox, Falco, and Marth, and used Samus vs. Link's really bad matchups. At least, thats what I understand of his decision making. In Brawl, we're still a long ways until the metagame really solidifies before we can start figuring out how to play Link Aniki style (figuratively). He has as couple of good matchups or neutral matchups against some of the favorited characters. But you just need to counter-pick sometimes when you're playing against a character who really seems designed to beat Link. Who are those characters? We'll slowly find out, but the match-up chart is starting to suggest some bad matchups and better matchups. I guess what we'd have to hope for is that top players are so unaccustomed to a good Link that they will simply be unprepared.

ptown

Smash Ace
link is awesome! whoever doesn't think this is dumb.

sure! you can pick him in a tourney!

Top Bottom