• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Kirby going to be good?

TheGamingTool

Smash Rookie
OKAY! I just want to say I am not the best smash player, I am pretty mediocre in my own eyes. Also this is my opinion, so I don't want to see a lot of butt-hurts because that make me sick. And pretty please include some stuff I didn't mention. THX!

In the last two SSB games, I think that Kirby sucks (no pun intended). He is a lot slower and his movesets have a lot of lag time. Not only that, his infamous forwad-smash was nerfed so bad. Plus his awesome Up-B is quick but small with puny damage. His FAIR is not a good recovering move.

I was comparing his Meele form to his SSB64 counter-part but some of these problem are in Brawl too. In SSB64, Kirby made the game fun and also made him feel like the handheld games. Nice and fast (not fox and C. falcon fast). Fairs and D-air were deadly like Fox's Up-smash. The only request I wanted out of the upcoming Smash game is to make Kirby good again.

The biggest thing that made Kirby good is his spacing with his B-Airs and F-Airs. Not only that his DAIRS SPIKES and comes out fast. Now yes, he was kinda broken but good. So I have a solution... Make everyone broken! (I really don't know)

Here is a short list of stuff that need to be changed for the upcoming game with Kirby
1. DAIRs spike
2. Less laggy moves like Forward-smash
3. Make dask useful
4. MAKE HIM MORE FASTER
5. Slightly bigger hitbox for Up-B

That is pretty much it...

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well, Kirby was B tier in brawl, so I don't see him in needing that much of a buff (I feel that A tier is a good balancing point)

with that in mind

1) Kirby's Dair was already a meteor smash which is all he needs due to his floaty nature.
2) Lag is not an issue really with Kirby
3) his dask was pretty decent, However daskes were generally crappy in Brawl due to the defensive nature of the game. That's an issue with the core mechanics, not the move.
4) why? for a lightweight he already has decent killing power and reflex
5) I could see them making his up better in maneuverability but it doesn't need a bigger hotbox.

If anything I'd say Kirby could use slight tweaks to his tilts and maybe his nair. That's about it really.

TheGamingTool

Smash Rookie
well, Kirby was B tier in brawl, so I don't see him in needing that much of a buff (I feel that A tier is a good balancing point)

with that in mind

1) Kirby's Dair was already a meteor smash which is all he needs due to his floaty nature.
2) Lag is not an issue really with Kirby
3) his dask was pretty decent, However daskes were generally crappy in Brawl due to the defensive nature of the game. That's an issue with the core mechanics, not the move.
4) why? for a lightweight he already has decent killing power and reflex
5) I could see them making his up better in maneuverability but it doesn't need a bigger hotbox.

If anything I'd say Kirby could use slight tweaks to his tilts and maybe his nair. That's about it really.
Yeah sorry about that again. I really didn't play Kirby that much in Brawl (I guessed I should have said that). I was mostly talking about the Meele version.
Anyways, I am a newbie to this site. Can anyone help me move this to the Kirby sub-forum?

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
you can't, an admin will do it when they notice it. Either way it's cool, but it's something to keep in mind when considering smash 4 kirby as it looks as if smash 4 will be closer to brawl than either melee or smash 64 (if that means anything at all).

TheGamingTool

Smash Rookie
you can't, an admin will do it when they notice it. Either way it's cool, but it's something to keep in mind when considering smash 4 kirby as it looks as if smash 4 will be closer to brawl than either melee or smash 64 (if that means anything at all).
I am okay with that as long as if he is not like in meele. I don't want to sound mean or anything but I hate meele kirby with a passion. Maybe it's because I am a fanboy for kirby ssb64.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Brawl Kirby was okay imo, the new in-air Hammer helped him pack quite a bit of otherwise lacking KO power. Melee Kirby is ****ing horrendous though, there's a reason he's placed under Pichu on the tier list, aka dead bottom.

Welcome to the boards btw.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I am okay with that as long as if he is not like in meele. I don't want to sound mean or anything but I hate meele kirby with a passion. Maybe it's because I am a fanboy for kirby ssb64.
Personally, I'm a real fan of Melee Kirby but I can understand where you're coming from. Melee Kirby, while a ton of fun in design, was almost a completely different character from his early Smash representation and, in terms of actually winning, it was a massive step down for him.
I, however, would much prefer a good version of Melee's Kirby to a rehash of the N64's.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Personally, I'm a real fan of Melee Kirby but I can understand where you're coming from. Melee Kirby, while a ton of fun in design, was almost a completely different character from his early Smash representation and, in terms of actually winning, it was a massive step down for him.
I, however, would much prefer a good version of Melee's Kirby to a rehash of the N64's.
What about Brawl's?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think would be good if only the last hit of down air meteored/spiked people so that he would actually have a use for it in the air while on stage. Also, the pop-up on grounded opponents would allow for follow ups better if it was towards the end.

His running speed should be the in-between between his brawl and 64 self.
His aerial movement should also be increased more so he can actually follow up his aerials.
Make forward air actually able to hit with all 3 hits.
Make up air a kill move again because Kirby's jumps are too short to follow people up.
Give Neutral air some actual knockback or at least a better hitbox.

These are the main things I think Kirby needs.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I thought Kirby was awesome in Brawl. Wouldn't even care if they kept him the same way.

I moved the thread to the Kirby sub-forum.
When the other moderators don't move a thread, that task is left to FalKoopa. FalKoopa: "Leave it to me!"

TheGamingTool

Smash Rookie
Played Kirby in Brawl, didn't play much since I don't own the game. You guys are right he is good but totally not top tier (like that even matters). The thing that I really want a great recovery, kinda like jigglypuff in Meele. I place Kirby like I place Elena in SF3, footies.
Also thank you for welcoming to the site. I like it!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
64 Kirby: Broken.
Melee Kirby: Garbage.
Brawl Kirby: Balanced.

Kirby needs IMO:
-Bigger hitbox for his Up B.
-More knockback for his Up Throw and Forward Throw.
-More damage for his Back throw (like 12%) and less damage for his Down throw (like 9%)
-More range and speed for his Neutral B.
-More knockback for his Up and Down Smash.
-Slide attack as his new Down Tilt.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
i disagree with the Dair but other than that everything else looks good its just that his dair is one of the moves he uses as a combo starter or even just a good approch move in general.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Brawl Kirby was a great balance compared to 64 and Melee.

These are some small changes that I think would help Kirby a lot, however;
  • Faster air speed.
  • Up throw being way stronger.
There are some huge changes that I think would be cool, like Final Cutter being able to grab the ledge from behind (similar to Ike's Aether), but I think this would make Kirby too much of a dangerous edge-guarder. Another big change would be for the player to have slight horizontal control over Kirby's up-throw, which could be used for aiming for a platform for an earlier kill, or even a Kirbycide.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
some changes id like to see:
-change dtilt to the slide attack
-have cutter have a little less ending lag
-give kirby a smash hammer attack thats laggier, but more powerful (Check w/ hammer flip)
-second swing of aerial smash hammer attack swings down and spikes
-have a new nair altogether or make it more useful.
-change dash attack
-cutter grabs ledge from behind.
-horizontal cutter move like in project m
-if on a slope, rock should hurt people when sliding
-ultra sword for final smash (check)
-up throw kills more reliably
-slightly less ending lag on down throw

over all, id rework kirby from the ground up, utilizing moves from more recent games like return to dreamland and triple deluxe.

Last edited:

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
I to think that Sakuri should take some ideas from the project M version of kirby. IMO kirby stone should produce stars on the side like in the games, similar to the landing of DDD's UpB.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
imo, kirby needs more air speed, his kirbycides from melee, and give him something to make approaching opponents easier, especially those with swords and projectiles. also better ground game would help. really hope sakurai makes him better.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if cutter didnt have so much starting lag, he wouldnt be gimped as easily, it would be an ok Oos option, and a possible combo finisher.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
64 Kirby: Broken.
Melee Kirby: Garbage.
Brawl Kirby: Balanced.

Kirby needs IMO:
-Bigger hitbox for his Up B.
-More knockback for his Up Throw and Forward Throw.
-More damage for his Back throw (like 12%) and less damage for his Down throw (like 9%)
-More range and speed for his Neutral B.
-More knockback for his Up and Down Smash.
-Slide attack as his new Down Tilt.
He just can't find his sweet spot, huh? :p

I support that Slide idea... and pretty much everything else. I'd also like a few other things, but they're minor compared with what you have.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
3. Make dask useful
...his dask was pretty decent, However daskes were generally crappy in Brawl due to the defensive nature of the game...
I was trying to figure out what you guys were talking about with the word "dask". I *think* you're talking about a "dash attack", but that's just a guess on my part. I never really heard the term before.

Kirby's Dash Attack in Brawl is *blah* and it's horrendous in Melee. At least in SSB it had some uses here and there, but I would love to see the old SSB Dash Attack make a comeback if only because it's more reminiscent of the Kirby games.

Re: Title of the thread...
We will have to wait to see how Kirby works in SSB4 before we can just how good he will be. There's too little information right now and we can only speculate based on past games.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
from the trailers where kirby is playing, he seems to be a complete copy over from brawl. so i think same weaknesses, no buffs,

this is good for me cuz i can just play kirby brawl style,
this is bad (not really a negative but...) because i would like to see some moveset changes, utilizing moves from return to dreamland and triple deluxe.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
from the trailers where kirby is playing, he seems to be a complete copy over from brawl. so i think same weaknesses, no buffs,

this is good for me cuz i can just play kirby brawl style,
this is bad (not really a negative but...) because i would like to see some moveset changes, utilizing moves from return to dreamland and triple deluxe.
Well the game isn't finished yet, sakurai still has some time to change some properties like...

Make his dash attack faster. (just like his games)
make his fair quicker and have a bit more knockback
make his dair come out faster.
more aerial speed
etc. (i'm tired lol)

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
-_- i guess he isnt important enough to warrant a pic of the day on miiverrse.
then again, i think all of the initially revealed veterans except for bowser, pit, peach, link, and samus, actually had information revealed about them.

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
-_- i guess he isnt important enough to warrant a pic of the day on miiverrse.
then again, i think all of the initially revealed veterans except for bowser, pit, peach, link, and samus, actually had information revealed about them.
Is it weird that I get bothered by that fact since it is Sakuri's creation. I swear that he only pays attention to pit now.

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of the slide too it is an ATTACK in the main series. however I'm put off by how megaman gets the slide attack when in his games it is just a manoeuvre.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't get it was kirby not good before?
Kirby was considered to be terrible in Melee, and while he was improved for Brawl, he still wasn't all that good there either. Kirby's greatest weakness isn't necessarily his light weight alone, but his small size does equal a rather mediocre reach with his direct attacks.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Kirby was considered to be terrible in Melee, and while he was improved for Brawl, he still wasn't all that good there either. Kirby's greatest weakness isn't necessarily his light weight alone, but his small size does equal a rather mediocre reach with his direct attacks.
I see well as long as the hit boxes and and move speed are adjusted I don't think there is a terribly large need for new moves. They just make his current moves more combo accessible.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Is it weird that I get bothered by that fact since it is Sakuri's creation. I swear that he only pays attention to pit now.
Well you are right, in the 2 directs he has given, in both he talked about Pit, in the first direct 0% Kirby. In the second, he just said things about Hammer Flip, period, nothing like "we gave Kirby reach,speed and power".

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Give Kirby his 64 dair back and we're good. In fact, just bring back 64 Kirby.

Seriously though, Kirby wasn't that bad in Brawl. I just feel like he needs more kill potential and a better way to approach. It always felt like Kirby doesn't get rewarded much for committing. Melee Kirby is a whole other story. Just pick the controller up, and you can literally feel how bad he is, no need to play or anything.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
I second the bring back Kirby to the 64 days. He ruled the air back then and had destructive attacks. Kirby is Sakurai baby it's only fair.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Allowing him to charge the Hammer will certainly make it easier to time/land. That's an improvement.

Top Bottom