• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it really the game's lag or is just people's slow internet? Come here and find out

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
OK so i'm fed up with all those lag threads so I have a solution here.

During my online experience with brawl (more than 1000 battles) i've rarely had lag and it was during the initial countdown for the battle to begin...so I'm quite dumbfounded at all those lag reports I read about here.

My only logical solution was that many people have slow internet and blame the game or the distance of them and their opponents.

So what's my solution you may ask? Simple , there's a site called http://www.speedtest.net/ go there and take the speed test.

Mine that never lags came up as

If yours is much less then this then it is your or your opponent's slow internet's fault that you experience lag, not brawl's or anyone else's.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet

This is my Wi-Fi speed. I haven't checked LAN speed, but it's much faster. Is that your LAN connection or is it Wi-fi, Dreiko?

I haven't gotten Brawl yet, because I will most likely use it for online play. And if online play lags too much, then I probably won't get Brawl. >_>

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman

This is my Wi-Fi speed. I haven't checked LAN speed, but it's much faster. Is that your LAN connection or is it Wi-fi, Dreiko?

I haven't gotten Brawl yet, because I will most likely use it for online play. And if online play lags too much, then I probably won't get Brawl. >_>
I actually did the test while surfing the net on my wii for accurate results. (i have a wifi router , not a lan adapter for my wii)

When i use my hardwired PC i nail 18.000+ down and 5.000 easy, furthermore i just have basic cable internet (like $20 a month only)...so i don't get how people can have so much slower internet unless they are cheap about it and use somethign like 56k modems or dial-up lol.

And like i said the game has absolutely no lag, only if your internet is slow you'll get lag , mine that isn't runs identically to the offline.

KOdEx

Smash Cadet
don't know if you're getting the test results from your wii or your computer, because when I try that site on my Wii the flash lags up like crazy. I get 22,000/2000(only happened once) Average is around 14000/1500 on my pc to my preferred server with a ping of 54 and thats about 150 miles away while on my PC east coast(mass) to west coast(los angeles) i get 8000/1200 with a ping of 94. These results aren't probably very accurate if you're doing them on the wii browser anyway considering its only using flash 7. I believe and the current release is 9 for the PC which would give better and more accurate results.

I also don't get how you're getting 20$ internet from comcast unless you have like a triple play package or you work for them or its a special offer for the first 6 months. I going to start paying like 55$/month after their 30$ promotion is up. I got their tv and internet service but not their phone. I want 20$ internet :(

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Uh...?

Would this be fast or slow, the majority of my matches are lag-free, but some of them lag like there's no tomorrow.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
don't know if you're getting the test results from your wii or your computer, because when I try that site on my Wii the flash lags up like crazy. I get 22,000/2000(only happened once) Average is around 14000/1500 on my pc to my preferred server with a ping of 54 and thats about 150 miles away while on my PC east coast(mass) to west coast(los angeles) i get 8000/1200 with a ping of 94. These results aren't probably very accurate if you're doing them on the wii browser anyway considering its only using flash 7. I believe and the current release is 9 for the PC which would give better and more accurate results.

I also don't get how you're getting 20$ internet from comcast unless you have like a triple play package or you work for them or its a special offer for the first 6 months. I going to start paying like 55$/month after their 30$ promotion is up. I got their tv and internet service but not their phone. I want 20$ internet :(
It's both my wii and and my wifi PC. (i have another PC that is hardwired which gets like 18.000/5.000 easy)

I just did it again on my PC and you'll see they're almost identical to my wii's results.
(and my comcast package is a deal for college students...not that i need the discount lol...i was just pointing out that fast internet is very easy to get. :D)

@ Rani iji: **** man...it's sure as hell ain't you :). You now have the right to blame your opponents for every laggy round you ever have again :p.

@the people with 3000k d/l....: You may not see lag always (this is where opponent distance comes into play....cause with regular connections you don't care for it but if your initial connection speed is the one of us when we connect all the way to japan then if you try to do that your lag will be heavy) but if you do see it chances are your connections have somethign to do with it.

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
So wait, is it the ratio (download:upload) that matters, the amount of kilobytes per second on the downloads and uploads, or both?

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Personally, for me, I rarely have laggy matches during early morning, past midnight(1-7 AM in the morning).

But when I play during the day, I encounter a lot of laggy matches.

So, I guess there might not be as much laggers past midnight as laggers during the day.

This is anyone mode btw.

Would this be fast or slow, the majority of my matches are lag-free, but some of them lag like there's no tomorrow.
That would be fast(or at least decent) if you're playing players just in your country. Slow if you're trying to play across the world.

So wait, is it the ratio (download:upload) that matters, the amount of kilobytes per second on the downloads and uploads, or both?
I am not really sure how Brawl's online works exactly(be helpful if Nintendo tells us how exactly it works, so we can try to improve our online experience).

It depends on how Brawl's online works. I am not sure about Anyone Mode but for Friends mode it depends on if the person who creates a room/game acts as a server while players that joins are clients.

Having high upload speed is useful if you're the host of the matches.

So if play with a friend, and you create a room and multiple people join your game that you created, then upload matters.

But if you don't host games and you only join your friend's games, then upload doesn't really matter as much but it does matter just not as much.

Now I am not really sure if that's the way things work, it could also be "pure peer to peer" where all the players act as servers and clients, instead of one person being the host and everyone else being the client.

But it really doesn't matter too much if you have decent connection, if a game lags it might be because of the other players have bad connection or because you're playing with someone from really far away.

Shanky

Smash Cadet

Funny, when I picked a different server (Las Vegas), I got a higher d/l and u/l speed, but a slightly lower ping. Hmm. Well this one was the closest physically so I'm assuming this one is the most accurate.

Majora_X

Smash Cadet
I don't know how to translate these things. :(

Download: 22557 kb/s

Upload: 793 kb/x

Ping: 15 ms; Distance < 50 mi.

Good or bad?

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
I'm afraid so.
Is this some kind of joke? No way a game requires more than 600 kb/s to be sent both side, thats just ridiculous. If Brawl had so bad optimization that it required so, then the makers would be completely stupid.

Dream all you want, that connection was FAR, FAR enough to be lagless. As long as its stable, he should have NO LAG PROBLEM IN ANY GAME with that kind of connection.

And people thinking some more download or upload speed will help at distances. Thats just dumb. Getting a 1000000 mb/s connection won't make them go faster across the world, and as such won't help for the delay. You will ALWAYS have a lag with a large distance between you and your player. Otherwise is impossible.

Also, MS is the response time in Millisecond. Anything under 100 is very hard to feel and should be quite fine. As long as your connection got a stable connection, is able to sent and receive correctly (don't even need 1 mb/s each) and got a good response time in a place close to you, you are NOT creating any lag.

thylanter

Smash Rookie
This thread is pointless... gaming uses very little bandwidth. I would be surprised if Brawl used more than 100 kB/s. What matters most is the quality of your/your opponent's ISPs routing. Poor routing in turn causes high latency (note: ping) which is the source of "lag". Other factors come into play: distance, packet loss, wireless interference, improperly configured hardware, network congestion, the list goes on.

Having high upload speed is useful if you're the host of the matches.

So if play with a friend, and you create a room and multiple people join your game that you created, then upload matters.

But if you don't host games and you only join your friend's games, then upload doesn't really matter as much but it does matter just not as much.
100% INCORRECT.

Games on Xbox Live/PC rely on high uplink when hosting, however, this is Nintendo Wi-Fi. The same rules don't apply here. Nintendo WFC uses a peer-to-peer kind of connection (instead of relying on 1 person, the host, to act as the dedicated server) which takes into account all players' latencies. That being said, "host advantage" is non-existent in Brawl.

EDIT:

Download/upload speeds DO NOT matter guys unless they're really low (under 1500 kbits down/256 kbits up).

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice

I play mostly lagless with someone in CA, and I'm in VA. On the other hand, I lag terribly with someone in MA (which is mostly their connection's fault). I don't see distance being so much of a factor here compared to a decent connection.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
100% INCORRECT.

Games on Xbox Live/PC rely on high uplink when hosting, however, this is Nintendo Wi-Fi. The same rules don't apply here. Nintendo WFC uses a peer-to-peer kind of connection (instead of relying on 1 person, the host, to act as the dedicated server) which takes into account all players' latencies. That being said, "host advantage" is non-existent in Brawl.

EDIT:

Download/upload speeds DO NOT matter guys unless they're really low (under 1500 kbits down/256 kbits up).
Yeah I wasn't really sure about how the hosting thing in Brawl or Nintendo Wifi works. Thanks for clarifying.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know that it was peer-to-peer. All the reasons why its so terrible. Although I hate the "host advantage" and all, peer-to-peer connection is simply "crap" and any games that uses it proves it.

I'm really disappointed about this, though I did not expect them to be so advanced either.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Dreiko, do you play Anyone mode? If so, what times do you usually play Anyone mode?
I don't have a stable time i play...i can play early in the morning , around 5-9 pm or even at 3-5 am....

Also, MS is the response time in Millisecond. Anything under 100 is very hard to feel and should be quite fine. As long as your connection got a stable connection, is able to sent and receive correctly (don't even need 1 mb/s each) and got a good response time in a place close to you, you are NOT creating any lag.
Tell that to the people who post threads about how they lag with opponents that live 10 minutes apart and stuff.

I'm not saying you're wrong since i too never get lag...but since there's so many people who do report it i'm trying to find a logical solution about it.

As for routing , if the router isn't functioning properly (ports not forwarded or firewalls operating improperly) you won't even be able connect to the Nintendo WFC and you'll keep getting errors....and people who only use lan adapters also report lag...so yeah routers are not the cause of lag that's for sure.

thylanter

Smash Rookie
I don't have a stable time i play...i can play early in the morning , around 5-9 pm or even at 3-5 am....

Tell that to the people who post threads about how they lag with opponents that live 10 minutes apart and stuff.

I'm not saying you're wrong since i too never get lag...but since there's so many people who do report it i'm trying to find a logical solution about it.

As for routing , if the router isn't functioning properly (ports not forwarded or firewalls operating improperly) you won't even be able connect to the Nintendo WFC and you'll keep getting errors....and people who only use lan adapters also report lag...so yeah routers are not the cause of lag that's for sure.
I'm pretty sure I said routing not router. Big difference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Do you have a 36k modem or something?....that was my speed back in like 1998 >.>

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I have very little issue with the online play for the most part i just get lag just in the count down and sometimes and this is once in a blue moon with 4 people there's a bit of lag.

smashT

Smash Rookie
I'm afraid so.
This is such a load of ****.

Anyone who has a clue knows that online games require very little in way of actual bandwidth numbers. 2mbit/.6mbit is FINE. It's the ping (in milliseconds) to the server or who you're playing with that matters.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609

I've only ever lagged with four people on my friend's list. I've played with people in Canada, Chile, California, and New York with absolutely no lag. I do think that people's connections is a big part of why they get lag. Some people have a bad connection, or the people they play with do.

Also, I have a friend that did one of these speed tests and his stats came up for 17 on download and 12 on upload. I laughed my *** off.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
I still don't see why Nintendo is being "over safe" with Brawl (A T RATED GAME). Warcraft 3 is a T rated game andv they let players fully communicate, unlike SSBB.
They should have added:
1. Full chat, with friends(maybe preset messages in Anyone Mode). Players should be able to mute or disable chat if they want also.
2. Option to request friend invite during "Anyone mode". I'm more of an FFA person than 1v1, anyway I've played a lot of lagless and fun matches in "Anyone mode". I want to be able to request friend invites with players I've had lagless matches with, so I can play with them agaib but too bad Nintendo is being "OVER SAFE with their T RATED GAME"(Again points to Warcraft3 which is T rated but has no chat limitations).

Top Bottom