• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is It Possible To Incorporate Custom Stages Into Competitive Play?

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I'm not into building custom stages for the sake of building them.
That's a terrible idea imho.

In example, four starter stages are more or less undisputed : SV, FD, BF, YI. The fifth one, depending on the regions, varies from LC to PS1. usually.
This is an actual problem. The custom stages are an actual solution.

Some people also think to a reason, and I say that being a Diddy main so don't get me wrong, that FD isn't a neutral starter. This is another problem that can be fixed through the use of custom stages.

Building them 'for fun' instead of solving problems... just doesn't suit my definition of competitive smash.

Just wanted to let you know.
I didn't said to make a bunch of stages "for fun" where did you read that?

Custom stages can be a great contribution to the competitive play. We can even remake some banned stages like wario ware and skyworld which are really simple and bring back dreamland 64 for example.

I've remade all of them (made them legal) and created some originals, that's why i have so many in my wii. I would love to contribute to the 2010 stage pack idea all we need is more hype and ppl's approval (and more careful readers lol)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=264481&page=3
^Here are some of my stages check them out.

TreK

Is "that guy"
making a poll for 9000 stages...
making a f***ing PACK of stages you want to impose to players...
thinking of 'at least three stages' when you should be thinking 'at least three problems'...

All of that isn't helping imho. Unless I misunderstood you.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
And be a worthwhile counterpick against characters that plank as part of their game, like Pit.

That would be an interesting concept indeed.

Luxor

Smash Champion
I've experimented with nearly everything you can to to prevent planking and scrooging on custom stages, and really anything you do just gives them ridiculous new options to stall :(

Offstage spring? Camp it all dai. Offstage plat? Same. No ledge? GG non-MKs. Overswarm included little plats that go out and in next to the ledge in one of his custom stages, and that kinda helps, or at least doesn't make it worse. You can actually ledgestall using 0 ledgegrabs on them, though, so it's really impossible.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Hurts legitimate characters much more than plankers, since I think having spikes just under the ledge takes away the ledge's ledge lol. Plus I think the invincibility frames make it a non-issue if the ledge still does exist.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I think it would be better to simply make a stage to does not attempt to make planking better or worse. If the planking is equally effective to final destination or battlefield then I don't see and issue with the custom stage.

A big thing to worry about in my opinion however is not to make the stages overly complicated. I personally never used more than one moving platform since they very often must have an exact timing to them which influences the match greatly.

Imaging smashvile with its platform split in two. If the two new plats both reach their furthest left point at the same time that is drastically different than one of them being all the way right and the other all the way left.

Its a major pain to make perfectly synchronized moving platforms and not everyone will have the ability to download them so I personally feel the stages should be easily built using just a screen shot and the wii.

I also made a thread off the little bits of information I found out about custom stages. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=270100

TreK

Is "that guy"
the timing of the platforms is dependent on the position on the screen, nah ?

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
I've experimented with nearly everything you can to to prevent planking and scrooging on custom stages, and really anything you do just gives them ridiculous new options to stall :(

Offstage spring? Camp it all dai. Offstage plat? Same. No ledge? GG non-MKs. Overswarm included little plats that go out and in next to the ledge in one of his custom stages, and that kinda helps, or at least doesn't make it worse. You can actually ledgestall using 0 ledgegrabs on them, though, so it's really impossible.
What about a ladder that goes down from the side of each ledge? Characters could still recover but it would remove planking.

TreK

Is "that guy"
any character could stay on those ladders forever.
plus ladders instead of ledges would kill oli/ivy/zss/sheik. And tons of others that are less obvious.

Enzo

Smash Lord
any character could stay on those ladders forever.
plus ladders instead of ledges would kill oli/ivy/zss/sheik. And tons of others that are less obvious.
^ Truth has been stated
and also I know this is kinda late but I'm 100% for custom stages in tournament play it could remove BS stages (like Castle Siege, RC, Picto, and the whole tier 3 counterpick stages made by the BBR) but that's only if you can make great ones with thorough work

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ok, so I went into the Submissions thread and grabbed all the stages that had download links.

My favorites included:

Crow!'s Lesser Stairway
Crow!'s Trigonal Planar
Niddo's Skyscraper Peak
Niddo's Isolation (I REALLY LIKE THIS ONE)
Crow!/prOPAC's Mini-Carousel
Crow!'s Perovskite
MikeKirby's Ironfield
Krazyzyko's Underworld

I'm thinking about experimenting with adding some of these into our ruleset, but it's still in the idea phase. I'll keep you guys posted.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
making a poll for 9000 stages...
making a f***ing PACK of stages you want to impose to players...
thinking of 'at least three stages' when you should be thinking 'at least three problems'...

All of that isn't helping imho. Unless I misunderstood you.
Yeah, i guess making a poll of so many stages might be too much. Do you have any suggestions other than wait for cataclism 5?

bluekyuui

Smash Rookie
The idea of custom stages in competitive play? I'm not sure. I would totally go for it if there was some huge online place to trade. But no, I personally don't think so. We should just stick to the ones we have!

TreK

Is "that guy"
Yeah, i guess making a poll of so many stages might be too much. Do you have any suggestions other than wait for cataclism 5?
I'm obviously not waiting for cataclysm 5, I'm European.

I told about it to the French TOs
I told about it to my crew
I told about it to the tops I know
I told about it on SSB-France and Storm Armada, the two most visited French boards about smash
I worked my *** off to get ideas and try them.

Eventually, one of us will have a good idea. If that ever happens, no one in France would refuse to attend tournaments that have good custom stages in them, and that's 50% thanks to me.
If that ever happens, chances are Europe will follow, because France is, along with Netherlands, the most influential country of Europe in Smash.

Anyway. Waiting is just never good. Never the best, at least.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Aww, the group was deleted. Not cool. Glad to see people are still discussing in here...or were as of the 22nd.

Top Bottom