• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible to aim Doc's fsmash downwards?

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
occasionally with Doc I swear I see him aiming his fsmash at a 45 degree angle to the floor? Does anyone know if this is a trick you can do or if it its any different to an ordinary fsmash. It usually happens when I wavedash forward and then fsmash.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yes it is possible. You can also angle it upwards.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yes, the reason it comes after a WD is that you don't take your hand off of of holding slightly down before smashing. You can also angle is f-tilt like that. You can do this by holding the analog stick at at the points where it is mid down and up (you know how the stick is surrounded by the octagonal casing, right? )

Have fun using this to smash people you don't sweetspot the edge *laughs evily*

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Most characters with a Smash that comes out like Doc's can do it. Samus, Mario, Luigi can do it as far as I know, more characters can probably do it but I can't test it out now, read my sig.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
you can almost aim every forward tilt and forward smash.
you can aim forward smash with C-Stick, its the easyist way to do it

SkiMaskSkeet

Smash Cadet
holy **** btk you go to my school lol...

Anyways on topic, I guess this is coincidence but when I aim the smash downwards the knockback increases quite alot. It might not be true but it holds for when I do it.

pockyD

Smash Legend
down angled smashes are weaker overall... the only reasons you would think the knockback increases significantly are

1) the sweetspot shifts slightly, so it might not be where you expect
2) the down-angled smash often hits less-suspecting opponents, meaning poorer DI

on the same note, up-angled smashes ARE slightly more powerful and do slightly more damage

St. Viers

Smash Champion
re: point 1: doc's F-smash is pretty negligible, but mayhap for Mario...

but yeah, if they normally DI up and towards the stage if you smash them off, they hold up, (perpendicular to how they were hit) This affects their trajectory the most (as you can't change length of trajectory by holding either the way you are going/way you are coming from.

By hitting them at a different angle, up isn't perpendicular , and their DI trajectory isn't as curved and useful...if they still hold up.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
holy **** btk you go to my school lol...

Anyways on topic, I guess this is coincidence but when I aim the smash downwards the knockback increases quite alot. It might not be true but it holds for when I do it.
you kidding?
whats your name?

hhliveson

Smash Cadet
[/QUOTE]Anyways on topic, I guess this is coincidence but when I aim the smash downwards the knockback increases quite alot. It might not be true but it holds for when I do it.[/QUOTE]

that might be because you are sweetspotting the smash. its a weird thing with the smash... if you hit at a certain point in the tiny hitbox the damage actually amounts to around 25%

St. Viers

Smash Champion
...I thought that was a fully charged one...
"Buddha's Palm Technique
If Doc's F.smash hits oddly (in a very, Very small spot behind the palm) its extra powerful (charged max-27% as oposed to 25%) with a very low trajectory angle. Not a realistic use, being its probably the smallest sweet spot there is."
--Cyphus's guide

but I could be reading this wrong.

Magus420

Smash Master
Upward fully charged: 27-28
Neutral fully charged: 25-26
Downward fully charged: 24-25

Charged smashes (all from what I've seen) vary by an extra 1-2%. This is independant of stale moves damage altering. You can have 2 different fully charged smashes that are both fresh do different damage. Also note that in training mode it doesn't acknowledge this on the damage display, though the damage next to the character will still go up by a different amount than what it says on occasion. I'm still not sure what causes it exactly, though it seems to be something to do with their current damage when you hit them.

Some characters f-smashes have different trajectories on the knockback along with different damage and power depending on how you angle it, such as Ganon's, but Doc's does not. It just has more damage and more knockback as you go from down to normal to up. It's not just the extra damage that gives it more power either. The up angled one will still have more knockback than the low angled one even if the low one ends up with a little more damage afterwards from being at higher damage before the hit.

Top Bottom