• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it okay that the Smash community refers to new players as "randoms?"

Is it okay that the Smash community refers to new players as "randoms?"

• Yes

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 40.0%

• Total voters

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I don't find the term to be offensive, but I fully understand that others do so I try not to use it. I usually find myself saying "new player". In a way though, if you think about it, almost all of us can be considered randoms if we play at a tournament in another region than our own. The exception of course is top level players or people that go to a lot of nationals, but its really just a term for somebody you can't remember. I fully accept that people would use the term talking about me if I decided to attend a Michigan tournament for example (have family up there) since I've never competed in anything outside of the Atlantic South. It can also be used in a derogatory way, but it usually only gets used like that by somebody who is salty about losing a game to their opponent or is self conceited in general.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Randoms have nothing to do with being new. As stated previously, there are randoms that have stayed randoms for a long time because they aren't all that memorable.

I'd honestly be more offended at being called new after having played a game for five years.

(I still wouldn't be offended)

D

Deleted member 189823

I don't call new people to the Smash community 'randoms', however, we do tend to call casuals that. And casuals are everywhere in tournaments.
Personally, I call them 'generics', lol.

SoulPech

Smash Master
If it's someone not w/ the scene or new to the scene, then yes...they're "technicaly" random. They're not well known, they came out of the blue... it's *ahem* random. If no one knows who a specific person is then they're random.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
It'd be nice if people didn't get offended, there really is no point to it. You're just being a martyr and fishing for pity if you ***** about someone calling you a random.

And I'd argue it's never really a pejorative anyway; 99% of the time when it is used, the player in question is actually a "random" relative to the "known" player talking about them - if someone asks M2K who he beat in pools and he says "Grim Tuesday", the response will be "Who?" - what is M2K going to say then? "Some Puff player"? "Some Australian?" At the end of the day, I am a random. It's not insulting or lazy, it's accurate.

And that other 1% of the time it's used? Trash-talk.

Top Bottom