• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is he worth using to win?

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I always hear better players (like, ranked people) say that "Falco is no longer top tier" and that Falco is hard to use at a high level because of how easy he is to kill. Also, examples of this are PC and Forward quitting Falco to play Fox and Sheik, respectively.

Discuss?

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
Falco isn't as good as Fox, Sheik and Marth but only if the opponent you're playing is REALLY REALLY good. Basically the opponent needs to be psycologically strong, otherwise he is gonna get screwed because of lasers and have a really good accuracy when fighting Falco (mostly spacing and timing). If Falco's opponent can overwhelm Falco's lasers and predict every move Falco does then it's pretty much over for the bird: Fox, Sheik and Marth all have ways to get past Falco's moves, have better comboes and last but not least can't be gayed off as much as Falco does.

Zeron

Smash Apprentice
With that in mind, does Falco still deserve his second place top tier ranking?

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Yes. I personally think Marth and Sheik deserve the spots so much more. Marth is probably the #1 most complained about character ever because he's just too good. His combos are good, he can **** with good spacing, and he has broken range and grabs. He's just overall a good character. His recovery also isn't nearly as easy to **** as Falco's. Sheik's recovery is also harder to gimp than Falco's.

Really, Falco is probably the easiest character to kill out of the top 5 characters. Falco is high tier.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Falco is still top tier, all be it worse than Shiek and Marth. He is perfectly viable at the high level of play and PC still frequently uses Falco when his Fox isn't doing the trick, so don't count him out just yet.

The highest level of play in this game does favor characters with good disjoint hitboxes and priority and fast characters with grab games, and all of Marth, Fox and Shiek fulfill these characteristics.

Falco comes from a very different mold, with a very combo-happy game that doesn't leave terribly many options to adjust when what you're doing isn't working. His grab game is subpar. His dash dance and general dash speed are poor, making punishing mistakes difficult at times. Much of his game control (laser control) is simply nullified by someone who can running powershield and grab you. His priority is basically strictly worse than Fox's, with the sole exception of dair.

But all that being said, he's still an absolute monster on offense, and should still be slightly favored in the Fox and Shiek matchups due to his sheer ability to combo the opponent's face off. He has weaknesses and a less complete game than Fox, Marth and Shiek, but Falco is very very good at what he does, so don't count him out of this game just yet.

OmegaSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Falco is still top tier, all be it worse than Shiek and Marth. He is perfectly viable at the high level of play and PC still frequently uses Falco when his Fox isn't doing the trick, so don't count him out just yet.

The highest level of play in this game does favor characters with good disjoint hitboxes and priority and fast characters with grab games, and all of Marth, Fox and Shiek fulfill these characteristics.

Falco comes from a very different mold, with a very combo-happy game that doesn't leave terribly many options to adjust when what you're doing isn't working. His grab game is subpar. His dash dance and general dash speed are poor, making punishing mistakes difficult at times. Much of his game control (laser control) is simply nullified by someone who can running powershield and grab you. His priority is basically strictly worse than Fox's, with the sole exception of dair.

But all that being said, he's still an absolute monster on offense, and should still be slightly favored in the Fox and Shiek matchups due to his sheer ability to combo the opponent's face off. He has weaknesses and a less complete game than Fox, Marth and Shiek, but Falco is very very good at what he does, so don't count him out of this game just yet.
Well said. I agree 110%.

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
With that in mind, does Falco still deserve his second place top tier ranking?
definitely not if you ask me.. sure, he is a good character but if the opponent is a smash god there's just no way he can be defeated using Falco. If you ask me it's..

Sheik
Marth (Marth is #1 if the user never does mistakes though)
-------
Fox
Falco
Peach

D

Deleted member

If your opponent can overwhelm your tactics and predict every move you do then it's pretty much over for your character
just thought I'd remind everyone how to play the game.

Falco has the best camping game, the best rush down game, and the best combos, most of which start from CC/sidestep/shield to shine. Saying the character with both the best defensive and offensive games isn't top tier is outright silly.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)

Falco has the best camping game, the best rush down game, and the best combos, most of which start from CC/sidestep/shield to shine. Saying the character with both the best defensive and offensive games isn't top tier is outright silly.
Fox can camp equally if not better than Falco. Best combos is debatable, all top tiers can combo extremely well, and Falcon too. His defense isn't that great, he can get ZTD'd by Fox, Marth, and Peach, and even when it's not ZTD, once he's offstage, he's gone.

As far as matchups go, he's even with Marth but slightly worse at uber pro level. He loses to Fox. He loses to Peach. He beats Shiek.

Falco is somewhat comparable to Falcon imo. Great offense, bad defense and gimped easily, except that Falco is slightly better as far as defense goes, and he has lasers, so he's better than Falcon.

BTW my (top) tiers:

Fox
Marth
Shiek
Falco

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
Falco is somewhat comparable to Falcon imo. Great offense, bad defense and gimped easily, except that Falco is slightly better as far as defense goes, and he has lasers, so he's better than Falcon.
quoted for truth.

As far as matchups go, he's even with Marth but slightly worse at uber pro level. He loses to Fox. He loses to Peach. He beats Shiek.
if you ask me Falco is even with all the other 4 over used characters, however Marth and sometimes Fox have a slight tendence to overwhelm Falco while Peach and Sheik a slight tendence to lose to him.

just tought I'd remind that appearently every time PC plays Falco against M2K he gets 3 stocked..

Falco has got a nice projectile, true, but I think he lacks too much a proper defensive game to fully exploit it in order to camp out the opponent. You shoot lasers, ok.. but what happens when your opponent lands a hit on you? Most likely you'll just get gayed off, either because of a combo or because of a silly edgeguard.
Sheik has got the best camping game if you ask me..

best rush down game? the only things I think Falco is superior in compared to Marth and Fox are lasers and maybe pillaring. But pillaring will only work as a pressure move on opponents who aren't used to it/don't know how to defend against it. And it exposes Falco to some risks as well, even back WD out of shield + Fsmash or whatever is often enough to screw Falco's approachs, as Falco hasn't really got higher range compared to Sheik and Marth or speed compared to Fox. Not to mention that Falco's grabs suck. I think Fox has got a better pillar, although harder to master while Marth can gay out the opponent way more easily because of his big range, high speed and good agility.

best combos is debatable, I personally think Sheik, Marth and Fox all have better combos with the difference that (except for Fox) they aren't as hard to master technically speaking. Also CC + shine and sidestep + shine can be punished and Falco is gonna get hurt just as much as he'd hurt his opponent when hit.

Falco has got a good offensive game but not the best if you ask me. That title probably belongs to either Fox or Marth. But he definitely hasn't got the best defensive game (I think either Peach or Sheik deserve it). Seriously, Falco is slower and clumsier compared to the other top guys, he gets comboed and edgeguarded more easily, his techs are more predictable, he lacks a good dashdance, his wavedash is somewhat slower and his shield grab sucks. The only good thing I can think to is shine out of shield and probably aerial out of shield as well.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Lemme dig out the pillaring frame data.

Falco:

Ideal Pillar (Typical Pillar):

1 Shine, Hitlag
2 Hitlag
3 Hitlag
4 Hitlag
5 Hitlag
8 Start Jump

13 Airborne
21 Start Dair

26 Dair Hits, HitLag, Fast Fall
27 Hitlag
28 Hitlag
29 Hitlag
30 Hitlag
31 Hitlag
32 Hitlag
36 Land- LC lag
37 LC lag
38 LC lag
39 LC lag

40 LC lag
41 LC lag
42 LC lag
43 LC lag
44 LC lag

45 Shine again
And Fox:

Pillaring (w/ dair):
Shine puts +2 advantage after jump, drill comes out on frame 5, and has a 3 frame disadvantage.
Drill lands w/ 4 frames of shield lag (past the hitstun on the drill), so after l-canceling (9 frames) you have a 5 frame disadvantage.
Escape methods: spot dodge (after shine), spot dodge/ roll/ any one frame attack jc'ed by a 4 frame jumper (after drill)
Shield Damage: 22/ Drill, 5/ shine, 8 for shield decay. 35/ iteration.
Notes: you should position your dair so that it's inside of them (to follow their shield DI/SDI, and to make sure you don't shield poke).
Scotu rocks.

And it is generally agreed that Peach beats Falco, with CG, dsmash, and everything else she's got. It even says so in the Falco matchups thread.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Falco is top tier. It is just that the smartest players aren't still playing him. Falco has the tools to combat many of his questionable match-ups. It takes a player with a strong mindset, adaptive play style, and solid foundation of technical skills.

Falco is the best camping character in this game. I think it is extremely hard to argue this fact.

He has the best combos, tied with captain falcon. Both have fast combos, with consistency, and good finishers.

I hear a lot of people complain about getting gimped with falco. It is true, falco falls fast and has poor distance on his recoveries. There are ways to make up for it though. First of all DI better. Or SDI, or anything to keep you closer to the ledge. You can also learn to ledge tech. I hear this keeps falco alive for some time (I am speaking from experience on that one).

Better yet, play better. Don't put yourself into situations where you can be easily comboed and finished off. It boils down to making fewer mistakes than your opponent. Falco being a pressure oriented character can force quite a few mistakes for you to capitalize off of. And when you do die, come back, combo hard, and win the match.

D

Deleted member

falco has the best camping because he can neutralize dashdancing and platform camping.

falco's matches

he beats fox. fox has to upthrow to combo falco, and it's extremely risky for him to not get shined in doing so. also, 1 grab isn't going to kill falco, so the process has to be repeated.

he beats peach. badly. don't tell me falco loses to peach, peach has incredibly ****ty mobility, and falco has lasers, dair, and bair, and she can't deal with any of the 3. You can't lose to a character that can't hit you.

he beats sheik. handily.

he doesn't beat marth, at best it's stage dependant. Again, marth has no way to deal with lasers, but no one else does either really. marth can gimp him back hard for it.

falco vs marth in terms of combos is debatable, I won't argue that. He still has better combos than fox peach sheik falcon. Not to say they are bad at it, falco is just better.

falco is 1-2 frames slower than fox, his lasers cover for his run speed. His range is = to marths and sheiks and he can beat both of them in priority fairly often. Check AR for the range.

Also CC + shine and sidestep + shine can be punished and Falco is gonna get hurt just as much as he'd hurt his opponent when hit.
negatory. how do you punish a 1 frame invincible move that can be canceled faster than your opponent can counter-attack? This is why people hate shine in the first place, it can't be punished. That's why you do a shine after the dair, so you don't get punished.

All the top tiers get combod about equally.

Falco is just as good as the other top tiers if not better. Some character and stage combinations, the other character simply has no way to beat falco at all if he's played correctly. Like, the character can literally do nothing vs a simple strategy.

Falco has the best projectile lead-ins to either the win move (dair) or the unpunishable shine for his combos, all of which do minimally 60%. He can also out-camp everyone on neutral stages. He is definitely top tier.

OmegaSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
quoted for truth.

if you ask me Falco is even with all the other 4 over used characters, however Marth and sometimes Fox have a slight tendence to overwhelm Falco while Peach and Sheik a slight tendence to lose to him.

just tought I'd remind that appearently every time PC plays Falco against M2K he gets 3 stocked..

Falco has got a nice projectile, true, but I think he lacks too much a proper defensive game to fully exploit it in order to camp out the opponent. You shoot lasers, ok.. but what happens when your opponent lands a hit on you? Most likely you'll just get gayed off, either because of a combo or because of a silly edgeguard.
Sheik has got the best camping game if you ask me..

best rush down game? the only things I think Falco is superior in compared to Marth and Fox are lasers and maybe pillaring. But pillaring will only work as a pressure move on opponents who aren't used to it/don't know how to defend against it. And it exposes Falco to some risks as well, even back WD out of shield + Fsmash or whatever is often enough to screw Falco's approachs, as Falco hasn't really got higher range compared to Sheik and Marth or speed compared to Fox. Not to mention that Falco's grabs suck. I think Fox has got a better pillar, although harder to master while Marth can gay out the opponent way more easily because of his big range, high speed and good agility.

best combos is debatable, I personally think Sheik, Marth and Fox all have better combos with the difference that (except for Fox) they aren't as hard to master technically speaking. Also CC + shine and sidestep + shine can be punished and Falco is gonna get hurt just as much as he'd hurt his opponent when hit.

Falco has got a good offensive game but not the best if you ask me. That title probably belongs to either Fox or Marth. But he definitely hasn't got the best defensive game (I think either Peach or Sheik deserve it). Seriously, Falco is slower and clumsier compared to the other top guys, he gets comboed and edgeguarded more easily, his techs are more predictable, he lacks a good dashdance, his wavedash is somewhat slower and his shield grab sucks. The only good thing I can think to is shine out of shield and probably aerial out of shield as well.
Quoted for truth.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
falco has the best camping because he can neutralize dashdancing and platform camping.

falco's matches

he beats fox. fox has to upthrow to combo falco, and it's extremely risky for him to not get shined in doing so. also, 1 grab isn't going to kill falco, so the process has to be repeated.

he beats peach. badly. don't tell me falco loses to peach, peach has incredibly ****ty mobility, and falco has lasers, dair, and bair, and she can't deal with any of the 3. You can't lose to a character that can't hit you.

he beats sheik. handily.

he doesn't beat marth, at best it's stage dependant. Again, marth has no way to deal with lasers, but no one else does either really. marth can gimp him back hard for it.

falco vs marth in terms of combos is debatable, I won't argue that. He still has better combos than fox peach sheik falcon. Not to say they are bad at it, falco is just better.

falco is 1-2 frames slower than fox, his lasers cover for his run speed. His range is = to marths and sheiks and he can beat both of them in priority fairly often. Check AR for the range.

negatory. how do you punish a 1 frame invincible move that can be canceled faster than your opponent can counter-attack? This is why people hate shine in the first place, it can't be punished. That's why you do a shine after the dair, so you don't get punished.

Falco is just as good as the other top tiers if not better. Some character and stage combinations, the other character simply has no way to beat falco at all if he's played correctly. Like, the character can literally do nothing vs a simple strategy.

Falco has the best projectile lead-ins to either the win move (dair) or the unpunishable shine for his combos, all of which do minimally 60%. He can also out-camp everyone on neutral stages. He is definitely top tier.
Fox definitely beats Falco. They can combo each other evenly, except Fox has 2 options for killing: off the top (pretty common because of grabs->uthrow->vertical killer) or gimping with shinespikes, which is also incredibly easy vs. Falco because of his poor recovery. If he's out of range for a shinespike, a cliffhanger will probably finish him off.

Fox has gimp edgeguards, Falco does not. They both combo equally. A smart Fox can get around lasers. Fox can approach with full jumped nairs, something Falco can do very little against. Fox has a better pillar.

As for Peach, running powershields destroy camping, dsmash is hell, Falco gets gimped (as in every matchup) and she has a better pillar.

Falco's range is not as good as Marth's becuase he hardly has any disjointed hitboxes, whereas Marth does.

Marth has (as do many characters) ways of getting around lasers. The time when lasers where an undefeatable approach/strategy are long gone. Read some Cactuar.

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
And it is generally agreed that Peach beats Falco, with CG, dsmash, and everything else she's got. It even says so in the Falco matchups thread.
that's what people agree on, I personally don't. UmbreonMow is quoted for truth abot this match up if you ask my opinion.

Fox definitely beats Falco. They can combo each other evenly, except Fox has 2 options for killing: off the top (pretty common because of grabs->uthrow->vertical killer) or gimping with shinespikes, which is also incredibly easy vs. Falco because of his poor recovery. If he's out of range for a shinespike, a cliffhanger will probably finish him off.
you forgot that a simple Bair/Nair at high % will mess up Falco as well.. Falco will be thrown off edge and Fox has got plenty of tools to **** Falco's poor recovery. Fox's combos can be even more annoying, plus he is faster and overall a better character compared to Falco. Yet Falco has lasers, so the Fox VS Falco match up goes like.. Fox always trying to find an opening and kill Falco, Falco trying to break through Fox's patience using lasers (remember that Fox is harder to control compared to Falco, which makes the Fox player psychologically vulnerable to the tricks Falco will most likely set up with his lasers). The resolve of this match up depends on the players, most people think Fox beats Falco, I think it's an even match but can't really tell since I haven't played people like PC Chris yet.

I hear a lot of people complain about getting gimped with falco. It is true, falco falls fast and has poor distance on his recoveries. There are ways to make up for it though. First of all DI better. Or SDI, or anything to keep you closer to the ledge. You can also learn to ledge tech. I hear this keeps falco alive for some time (I am speaking from experience on that one).
It's not like we haven't tought of ledgetech, good DI and eveything, it's just that the comboing/edgeguarding opponent will predict it and punish it again. Sure, you'll say that the Falco player needs to be careful and smart as well but at high levels of play if you take 2 players with equal skills the one using Falco will end up getting gimped more often, that's it. At least, PC got ***** badly because of this against M2K while playing Fox seems to keep things even with him.

neutralizing dashdancing sounds more like an offensive move, while for platform camping it's true Falco can give the opponent some problems although I think Sheik can stop it quite as well as Falco does.

His range is = to marths and sheiks and he can beat both of them in priority fairly often. Check AR for the range.
Falco can be equal in range and priority to Sheik but definitely not to Marth.. everytime I see Falco playing too close to Marth all he does is getting hit and comboed from there on. If Falco manages to hit Marth in close combat I guess it'd be more a matter of timing and position.

As for Peach, running powershields destroy camping, dsmash is hell, Falco gets gimped (as in every matchup) and she has a better pillar.
I'm assuming all the peach players are actually able to power shield 100% of the lasers.. also Falco has got ways to get past power shielding as well.

simply outranging the shine.. or punishing whatever the Falco player's going to do after the shine. Shine can be a 1 frame invincible move but it lacks range, hence it needs something else to connect from and needs to be canceled with a WD or a jump (or another shine as well). Back SH + AFA from Marth should be enough to punish all of this possibilities.. and anyway just look at 1:00, 1:29 and 1:45 of this video.. that's what I mean with punishing Falco's approachs using proper timing:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DrQBeWl1sjE

Irow

Smash Ace

falco's matches

he beats sheik. handily.

Quoted for Truth. Seriously, the lasers can stop just about everything, and give a free hit many times. Falco beats just about all the top tiers but Marth. Marth can gimp Falco a lot better than the other top tiers. And Falco and Marth go even.

And who said fox's pillar is better? Falco's is the most damaging combo in the game. And it's almost impossible to stop if done correctly.

The reason people say Falco is worse is because many Falco players are dumb and think the laser is the best mindgame ever. Watch this <a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBHy4mS2ueo"> Click here. Sparse use of lasers, Falco combos still ****.</a>

Falco has the best offense ever. It just destroys. And about defense. With smart lasering and not rushing in all the time, his offense becomes his defense.

Falco is definitely top tier. Peach on the other hand...

OmegaSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Quoted for Truth. Seriously, the lasers can stop just about everything, and give a free hit many times. Falco beats just about all the top tiers but Marth. Marth can gimp Falco a lot better than the other top tiers. And Falco and Marth go even.

And who said fox's pillar is better? Falco's is the most damaging combo in the game. And it's almost impossible to stop if done correctly.

The reason people say Falco is worse is because many Falco players are dumb and think the laser is the best mindgame ever. Watch this <a href=http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBHy4mS2ueo> Click here. Sparse use of lasers, Falco combos still ****.</a>

Falco has the best offense ever. It just destroys. And about defense. With smart lasering and not rushing in all the time, his offense becomes his defense.

Falco is definitely top tier. Peach on the other hand...
Quoted for Truth.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion

falco's matches

he beats sheik. handily.

I got to this post and then I reading. I was pretty shocked about how much he knows.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falco is pretty much tied with Fox for beastliest offense in Smash, as he compensates against a not quite as abusable Shine by using lasers, which kill what Fox's shine doesn't. Powershielding lasers consistently still means taking the time to use your shield, and Falco can SHL lag cancel the blasters + Shine about the same speed one can Powershield, so powershielding lasers can be countered in ways too. Ultimately, blasters are still a huge advantage for Falco.

Falco kills Fox more easily than Fox kills Falco if you ask me. Getting vertikills on Falco is not recommended because he's a fast faller. Falco however in this matchup has a much more practical killing F-smash. Certainly, it's possible considering Fox has a strong Up-Smash, but it's not his best option against Falco, but Falco will get more practical knockback from his really strong F-smash always. Falco's laser camping owns Fox's, and that goes without saying. Falco in about everything except the D-tilt OUTRANGES Fox moreover, so if the game comes to spacing, Falco simply pwns Fox. Fox MAY have Shinespiking, but that requires precision against an oponent using his/her up-B. Falco's D-air has range and priority on the other hand, plus the knockback to silence anyone trying to recover, so even if it is meteor cancelable (can't remember if it is), the sheer knockback can keep people away from recovering. Falco can D-air Fox about as if not more effectively than Fox can Shinespike Falco.

Just my two cents on the Falco vs Fox matchup. And yeah, IMO Falco still deserves to be top tier, but I'll add onto that specific point later if I get to it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So in that case, that definitely means Falco is at LEAST on par with ledgeguarding Fox as Fox can ledgeguard Falco.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
How is killing falco vertically not recomended lol uthrow to usmash still kills pretty **** well even if they DI.

I don't think anyone (remotely intelligent) is disputing the fact that falco is top tier but the question is if he is as good as fox and sheik which he isn't IMO but I dont feel like really going on atm so ill expand when i get home or like tomorrow or something -_-.

Also witchking anyone can powersheild and peach's running isn't good enough to fully exploit running powershields as well as someone like marth so it's hardly that much of a problem.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well he's arguably not as good as Fox whose Shinespiking and Upsmash wreck a lot of other people, but he has a more favorable matchup than Fox the way I see it.

I mean if Falco is damaged enough an Upsmash might be decent, but it's not going to kill him as quickly as F-smashing or D-smashing him and intercepting his recovery as necessary. However, Falco can get Fox off the stage faster since his F-smash is stronger, and he ledgeguards Fox and almost everyone else pretty **** well, so IMO Falco wins in Falco vs Fox.

Eggm

Smash Hero
The tier list is as follows.

Marth
Fox
Sheik
Falco

Tournament results prove this, and it reflects the potential of the characters IMO. Whens the last time falco has one a major? uh............. early 2006 MLG's with pc chris or something? on top of that didn't he use fox too, like in the finals at MLG vegas after his falco was getting rocked? I think the top 4 are pretty much equal, but falcos slightly worse than the top 3 at the highest of levels, just because everyone knows how to death combo him from any move, its just so tough, and I think falco not winning a major in like a ton of months p;roves that hes just not as good. However hes still an amazing character, I plan to win pound with him. xD Or hopefully shiz can. ;)

Also, pc chris wins with pc chris, not the gayness of falco IMO.

Also, i have to say falco is probably the best character to play against some one who doesn't know how to play falco, he ***** so hard in that situation, hes also probably the best character at the level just below the very top.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Who cares if usmash doesnt kill as fast as fsmash or dsmash? it still kills at like 100-110 and combos very easily out of a throw and at low percents has a tendency to build percent quickly but thats beside the point.

Falcos fsmash is ridiculously strong and can kill early but its harder to combo into unless the fox DIs nair into falco then DIs the fsmash out (which i see happen more than it should in random videos lol) however out of a grab or even out of wierd utilts or uair fox's uair still has very good KO potential especially assuming he hits falco upwards like halfway to the vertical boundary.

Fox generally survives a well DId fsmash longer than Falco survives Fox's usmash DId well on most stages, but the exception would probably be yoshi's story.

Also eggm i disagree with you on that tier list but thats another argument for another day >_>

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Marth has (as do many characters) ways of getting around lasers. The time when lasers where an undefeatable approach/strategy are long gone. Read some Cactuar.
Unfortunately, my strategies are ridiculously complicated and just not viable for pretty much any player who isn't me. I'm not discouraging people from taking ideas from what I do, as the concepts that I can provide to others are what's important. I fully believe people should develop their own methods to doing things. It gives you an advantage when people don't know how to deal with your style.

I'd suggest that people go with the simpler M2K laser evasion or counter strats. You won't have M2K level death combos, but you'll knock the Falco down often enough to get grab/tech chase opportunities.

Cort

Apple Head
Falcos still good.

The edge guarding metagame has just advanced ridiculously since the days of Ken.

So by playing Falco today it's basically a silly chore. You work your *** off to kill your opponent, then they tap you and you die. It's fairly frustrating, and not worth it when there are gayer/safer characters to play.

Also lol @ Falco beating Peach. The matchups pretty even.

edit// I donno why people are posting frame data, it's so unnecessary in this discussion.

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
Eh? Who did PC use in OC3?
unless I'm doing a mistake I think he used Fox, at least in order to beat M2K

So by playing Falco today it's basically a silly chore. You work your *** off to kill your opponent, then they tap you and you die. It's fairly frustrating, and not worth it when there are gayer/safer characters to play.
quoted for truth.

Also lol @ Falco beating Peach. The matchups pretty even.
even with a slight advantage for Falco IMO. And the fact that you're a very good peach may affect your judgement =P

Miharu

Smash Hero
OmegaSephiroth, stop posting useless **** like "QFT" and how Falco's dair isn't a meteor, etc., they're completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

PC went mainly Fox/Falco at OC3, and lost a lot more with Falco than with Fox. It's like Cort said: you work your *** off for the combos and a kill, and your opponent can just gimp you like nothing. Sure, Falco has the lasers and his rushdown game, but the metagame's evolved quite a bit to get around that.

And about comparing CF to Falco, CF relies more on a tech-chasing based game, whereas with Falco, you need to get that first shine/dair hit in, and there's not as much tech-chasing involved. Also, CF is much harder to kill with proper DI, and he doesn't get gimped half as easily as Falco does.

Cort

Apple Head
Nah, CF gets gimped easier lol. Atleast Falco's recovery is somewhat flexible.

And I've been playing with PC long enough to know the matchup is fairly even, yeah maybe with a slight advantage for Falco.

It just pains me to see Peach players get completely dominated by lasers and basic Falco nonsense, they just need more experience in the matchup rather than playing the matchup like they play every other matchup...

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
It just pains me to see Peach players get completely dominated by lasers and basic Falco nonsense, they just need more experience in the matchup rather than playing the matchup like they play every other matchup...
everyone gets dominated by lasers and basic Falco nonsense, not just Peach XD. The only reason for me to give a very slight advantage to Falco is the lack of speed for Peach which turns out to be very bad when Falco starts to camp. Apart from that, Peach totally destroys Falco in close combat.

Top Bottom