• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Falco actually bad in this game or is he just being bashed too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
I think many people give up on Falco because of the laser nerf and the more laggy down air. However, I think he is still great, he just needs to be explored more.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I think many people give up on Falco because of the laser nerf and the more laggy down air. However, I think he is still great, he just needs to be explored more.
My thoughts exactly. This is one of the reasons why he's one of my mains in Brawl and the 3DS game. You just have to know how to use a character properly.

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
I used to main Marth and Falco in Brawl, and my first reaction was "Jesus Christ, wtf did they do to them?" But after spending time with Marth, and his nerfed range and air attacks, I managed to adapt and get better with him. Right now I'm doing the same with Falco. I mean, yea, some characters got some ugly nerfs but they take time to adapt and eventually get better with it.

Edit: At least Falco is playable on the 3DS, trying to play Marth with out a c-stick is a real pain.

Last edited:

RenyNoise

Smash Rookie
NNID
RenyNoise
3DS FC
5215-1797-5689
Been playing with Falco alot and have found the Air Dodge Cancel mechanic to be practical enough to make him feel a little faster, it will be nice being able to approach opponents so safely. However. His forward Air needs to be discussed, because it has alot of knock back from what I'm noticing. You won't be slamming your opponents out of zone like we're used to (in every other game he's in, sigh) but the forward air knocks alot of the roster far enough to where they can't recover.

The Finesse has been taken out of Falco, but you can get points and win.Those Flashy Meteor smashes are history. His D-Air is useless, there's no point in even trying to bring it out in my opinion, F-Air is now the best air option for kills.

Last edited:

WOMBOCOMBO!

Smash Rookie
the fact I
I've been seeing Mew2King just state that Falco and Fox in this game are atrocious.

Honestly, that's a bit disappointing to me, Falco and Fox need to step down from top tier, but it would be very depressing to see them bottom tier. Falco and Fox wern't even THAT bad in Brawl, mid-high tier. So, I don't know why they are getting so much hate in this game, especially since Wolf is gone and the Star Fox representation is on it's last leg. ;(

So if anybody has the game, is Falco actually bad? Or is Mew2King just having a hissy fit because they didn't re-clone Falco?
shofu is a beast with fox, plus i think falco is really good.

RenyNoise

Smash Rookie
NNID
RenyNoise
3DS FC
5215-1797-5689
Down air is not completely useless, but I do agree it lost a lot of its utility.
I can't find any practical situations for it without taking a huge risk of getting hit. Everyone can do an up-air or some form of upper hitbox covering move that can stop the attack during its start up. The move has great effects, but it is so impractical and slow it is useless. Dodging is easier than ever, and the landing lag on that move leaves you open for counters even on block.

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I don't think D-Air is useless, plenty of other meteor attacks have about the same startup (Falcon, Luigi, Samus D-Air to name a few)

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
I can't find any practical situations for it without taking a huge risk of getting hit. Everyone can do an up-air or some form of upper hitbox covering move that can stop the attack during its start up. The move has great effects, but it is so impractical and slow it is useless. Dodging is easier than ever, and the landing lag on that move leaves you open for counters even on block.
Totally agree. I think there are better options than DAir in ALL situations. For example, why trying to gimp with it when u can do it with FAir or BAir and it is safer and usually will bring you the same or more reward? Apply this in 90% of situations (gimping, approaching, ...) IMO

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
If I ignore the laser, I actually like the way he plays in Smash 4. You have to play a bit different, but some of his attacks have become really useful.

Having said that, I can't seem to hit the sweetspot of his Down air.

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
If I ignore the laser, I actually like the way he plays in Smash 4. You have to play a bit different, but some of his attacks have become really useful.

Having said that, I can't seem to hit the sweetspot of his Down air.
Yeah it's a little more like Wolf's in its timing.

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
Tbh, I think he deserves a little buff if someday Nintendo patches this game. Just some changes like making laser a little more functional or less lag on dair.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Falco sucks? and yet he's got solid combo's,amazing gimp tool,probably the best fair in the game with high priority,high kill potential on ground and in the air,impossible to camp due to reflector,amazing f tilt that pops out near instantly.

He's only bad because people approach him thinking he's still got what he had in brawl, i've noticed you're the same OP who said Luigi sucked despite you never touching him. I know for a fact you'd be buttblasted if someone said Dr Mario is worse than Mario.

nottl

Smash Rookie
Falco sucks? and yet he's got solid combo's,amazing gimp tool,probably the best fair in the game with high priority,high kill potential on ground and in the air,impossible to camp due to reflector,amazing f tilt that pops out near instantly.

He's only bad because people approach him thinking he's still got what he had in brawl, i've noticed you're the same OP who said Luigi sucked despite you never touching him. I know for a fact you'd be buttblasted if someone said Dr Mario is worse than Mario.
Is it really the best fair in the game? I'd love to think that was the case, but I play a local ness pretty frequently and his fair beats my fair pretty much 100% of the time. :S

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
Falco feels horribly nerfed in my opinion ALL his moves are laggy as heck, he lacks his Brawl chain grab that made him top tier in Brawl, and he just doesn't feel as good to me.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Falco feels horribly nerfed in my opinion ALL his moves are laggy as heck, he lacks his Brawl chain grab that made him top tier in Brawl, and he just doesn't feel as good to me.
After nearly 400 games of falco I don't find this to be the case, his smashes and neutral b are a bit laggy but that's it. No one has chaingrabs, but falco has great throws anyways. Up, down, and forward all link into other move, and backthrow can kill.

Falco's real advantage in this game is a combination of being able alternate spacing to rushdown, and he's not weak to any particular strategy.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Bthrow is not a kill move. Yeah it can kill at 180 if your opponent doest di to dodge the laser, that doesnt make it a kill move. A lot of moves kill at 180

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom