• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl more like Melee or 64?<

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Put aside you're dislike towards Brawl's lack of comboing for a second and look at the over-all game and playstyle. When you play Super Smash Bros. Brawl you are probably reminded of one of two things; SSB Melee or SSB 64. Do you think that Brawl is more like Melee, 64 or a fine mix of both?

Zodiac

Smash Master
neither, its a smash game thats very different from the other two.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Neither. Aside from stages, both Melee and SSB has full control on random factors. Brawl doesn't thanks to tripping. And even without it, Brawl is to Brawl as Melee is to Melee and as SSB is to SSB.

PShadow

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say its in a category of its own.

I mean it has some good qualities and bad qualites, but really its different.

If I had to say what game it SEEMS like, I would say....SSB 64

Superstar

Smash Champion
Depends on what you speak of. Style of gameplay, gameplay speed, basic mechanics, difficulty og the game, etc etc.

In style of play, Brawl is way closer to Melee than 64, 64 is practically the opposite of Brawl. Offensive play >> Defense in 64, opposite for Brawl. Gameplay speed, Brawl is closer to 64. basic mechanics, closer to Melee [airdodge, sidestep, yadayada]. Difficulty, closer to 64 [Brawl is easiest, but 64 is admittedly easier than Melee].

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
The change from 64 to melee seemed like a complete overhaul to me. The change from melee to brawl seems a lot less so. Probably because the graphics are of more similar quality than 64 > melee.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Brawl is in a league of it's own and is a game for casuals, unlike Brawl, 64 and Melee appeal to the morecompetative player, therefore setting it apart from Brawl, so Brawl is nothing like Melee or 64.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Brawl is in a league of it's own and is a game for casuals, unlike Brawl, 64 and Melee appeal to the morecompetative player, therefore setting it apart from Brawl, so Brawl is nothing like Melee or 64.
This.

When I play SSB64, I get one feel. Then, I put down SSB64 and pick up Melee, and I'm thrown off because I'm used to SSB64. Then I move on to Brawl and I'm totally confused, and you backtrack and it's even worse because you play Melee and you screw up your recovery because you expect to auto-sweetspot five feet away facing away from the ledge. Or because the physics are completely different and you don't expect to fall so quickly.
I could go on, but you get the idea.

It's a good idea for a question, but it's really not answerable. It's like saying "Who's more similar to Mario, Yoshi or Kirby?" They're all different species.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yoshi's more similar to Mario IMO.
Haha, yeah, I'd probably say so too.

But that's not my point. It's just hard to come up with three things which are completely different, none of them being more similar to another than the other.

Um...ROB, DK, and Kirby. Is that better?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Now THAT's a truly dissimilar comparison. But it's a bit much when compared to this.

I still say Brawl's closer to a comboless 64 then Melee...Not that they are anywhere near close...

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
It's more similar aesthetically to Melee, but due to the lowering of the gameplay pace it "feels" a tiny bit closer to 64 to me personally when you actually fight. So to me it's kind of half and half. I know SSBB is it's own entity though for the most part before someone gets all crazy on me with the details.

Top Bottom