• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anyone else upset wit the lack of villain's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Seriously
So far we only have bowser that's it.
Sure ganondorf's a shoe in. but wario and wolf are questionable now.
Sorry i don't consider dedede a bad guy just a jerk. He always ends up helping kirby later on.
Not to mention even wario ain't that much of a villain any more. once again hes just a jerk.
Im tired of female character taking prescience over villains seriously.
And with pautena in im just hoping hades gets revealed to.
Ridly?
Black shadow?
somebody with actual malice.
Your thoughts?

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Wario is anything but questionable. If anybody thinks that Wario's not in the game, they're honestly out of their minds.

They keep dodging the question of Ridley which makes me even more hopeful that he's in - I'm just worried about King K. Rool, who is one of the most deserving newcomers out there.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm feeling confident that they'll add at least one villain newcomer to this game.

If I'm wrong, then I'll be completely shocked.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I still think Ridley and K. Rool could be in, but not much more than that. And Mewtwo coming back. The villains weren't leaked, but neither was Rosalina.

Speculator

Smash Ace
There's a good reason why there aren't many villains in SSB. As players, we don't become as attached to them. Villains traditionally just show up for boss fights, whereas playable characters and supporting protagonists usually have near 100% of screen time. These are the characters we come to know and care about because we're with them for the whole experience. This is why a character like The Masked Man would never replace Lucas, or why Wolf would never be kept over Falco (if they had to remove one). To be a villain in Smash Bros you need to be the main baddie of a really huge series like Mario or Zelda, or be more of an anti-hero like Wario or King Dedede (in which case you're more likely to have more screentime than a straight-up villain would - Dedede is playble in a number of Kirby games, and Wario of course has games of his own).

Last edited:

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
ganondorf and wolf are usually hidden, and I'm hoping for King K Rool

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
To be a villain in Smash Bros you need to be the main baddie of a really huge series like Mario or Zelda, or be more of an anti-hero like Wario or King Dedede (in which case you're more likely to have more screentime than a straight-up villain would - Dedede is playble in a number of Kirby games, and Wario of course has games of his own).
Nobody's expecting horribly obscure one-time villains and bosses: as cool as characters like say, Dimentio, are, nobody expects them outside anything but their dreams due to it being unrealistic for them to make it into an all-star roster with the number of slots there are.

People grow attached to antagonists for the same reason they get attached to heroes: they're interesting characters. There are plenty of people who are just as (if not more) interested in Bowser then they are in Mario. The two biggest villain requests on the board, Ridley and K. Rool, are anything but ridiculous requests. They're both recurring and have huge impact on their stories and major potential gameplay-wise. Ridley has personal ties to a Smash mainstay's backstory while K. Rool has diabolical genius and insanity on a level that has not yet been seen on the Smash battlefield. They both offer something that can't be provided by other characters.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
By the way hades played a really big role in undoubtedly the most important title in the kid icarus franchise
palutena on the other hand just talked to you. really. made you fly. im not saying she shouldent be added im just saying her role is arguable.
King k rool needs to be back. i wont accept the garbage make a mii of it excuse.
i need some intact villain's like honestly why the hell are all these protagonist fighting each other. there all good guys. well most.
I need some spice 6 villains would make me happy since thats feels like the magic number to be enough of a **** disturber in a protagonist wiener fest.
but we are only likly to have like 2-3 bad guys this time around witch is sad.
I still want chrom though XD

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Chrom is in and we get K. Rool, I don't care. I'd rather have someone else over Chrom, though. (And I think hiding Pyrosphere is only further proof Ridley is playable.)

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
God, I've got a list of villains that should be in Smash as long as the dammed Empire State!

There better be some new dammed villains in this game!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
God, I've got a list of villains that should be in Smash as long as the dammed Empire State!

There better be some new dammed villains in this game!
The only significant Nintendo villains I can think of are Ridley and K. Rool. No one else comes even close.

With Wolf, Ganondorf, Wario, and Mewtwo coming back, plus Ridley and K. Rool, that gives every one of the "core" franchises a villain character. (I don't count Kid Icarus among those, and I highly doubt we'll get a third Kid Icarus character.) And yes I still do expect Mewtwo and Ridley, with K. Rool on edge. Wolf, Ganondorf, and Wario are definitely going to be back.

Imo, the only conspicuous absence for a playable villain is Ridley, and that's the same way I've felt since right after Brawl's release.

• K. Rool needs to work on getting back into his own series before getting into Smash.
  • Kid Icarus villains are in line behind Palutena.
  • Black Shadow's series has been dormant for many years now. And if he would just be a vessel to take Ganondorf's old moveset, like many have suggested, then forget it anyway!

Well, if it helps, Greninja is a "Dark" (Japanese, "Evil")-type Pokémon. Even though he's a starter companion in his games, he's sinister.

Morbi

Scavenger
Not necessarily; I believe all antagonists will return, after that, I expect Ridley. So that is more than enough to ensure that I am satisfied.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Ridley and King K. Rool still have one major ace up their sleeves over most other confirmed/potential newcomers: they're heavyweight fighters. Sakurai probably doesn't care about villain representation, but if he's looking for heavyweight newcomers (and I can't imagine he's not), Ridley and K. Rool are pretty much the go to choices.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
If the use the zamus excuse as that counts as a second metroid rep I will be mad. I understand we need female reps but it really shouldn't be that big of a deal kid larcus isn't near as popular as metroid or donkey kong series. Still hoping for ganondorf to be announced with a new moveset and wolf to be kept hidden, we need some surprises.

Yep. I've felt this way since Melee. For me villains should have been the priority after the heroes. The next question everyone ask after who would win in a fight between Mario vs. Link is Bowser vs. Ganon...then Link vs Bowser and Mario vs. Ganon. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with characters like Peach and Zelda, but when it comes to seeing characters fighting I want to see the clash between the two greatest forces from their respected universe; the good side and the bad side. The brave valiant heroes who fight with honor, and the evil villains who will do whatever they can do to win. And then, the best part, is seeing the best bad guys go against each other to see which one's the best.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yep. I've felt this way since Melee. For me villains should have been the priority after the heroes. The next question everyone ask after who would win in a fight between Mario vs. Link is Bowser vs. Ganon...then Link vs Bowser and Mario vs. Ganon. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with characters like Peach and Zelda, but when it comes to seeing characters fighting I want to see the clash between the two greatest forces from their respected universe; the good side and the bad side. The brave valiant heroes who fight with honor, and the evil villains who will do whatever they can do to win. And then, the best part, is seeing the best bad guys go against each other to see which one's the best.
I don't think Villains should be picked just for the sake of adding villains. Villains should be picked for being iconic. Ridley and K. Rool are incredibly iconic and neither franchise has a villain yet. One-off villains tend not to be.

I don't think Villains should be picked just for the sake of adding villains. Villains should be picked for being iconic. Ridley and K. Rool are incredibly iconic and neither franchise has a villain yet. One-off villains tend not to be.
To me a villain is just iconic as the hero. Of course I'm not talking about characters like Ghirahim or Marx, I'm talking about characters who have stayed with the hero and have just as much history as they do. These characters are specifically designed to fight. Not just fight, but be overwhelming and awe-inspiring. I want to see them bring their best against other series heroes, as well as other series villains.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I just want to see Ganondorf, announce him and I'll be happy.

I'm not buying that he's a hidden character he won't be shown garbage, we saw 4 Pokémon and when we play that game the only Pkemon we'll have to play as until we unlock the others is Pikachu.

Robin qualifies as both a Antagonist and Protagonist, they should put him/her in because Robin is just way more unique than Chrom.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
To me a villain is just iconic as the hero. Of course I'm not talking about characters like Ghirahim or Marx, I'm talking about characters who have stayed with the hero and have just as much history as they do. These characters are specifically designed to fight. Not just fight, but be overwhelming and awe-inspiring. I want to see them bring their best against other series heroes, as well as other series villains.
Well, yes, but I'm just clarifying that although villains can be iconic, we shouldn't pick a villain JUST for the sake of adding a new villain. Villains can be iconic, but they should pick an iconic villain over a generic one.

I just want to see Ganondorf, announce him and I'll be happy.

I'm not buying that he's a hidden character he won't be shown garbage, we saw 4 Pokémon and when we play that game the only Pkemon we'll have to play as until we unlock the others is Pikachu.

Robin qualifies as both a Antagonist and Protagonist, they should put him/her in because Robin is just way more unique than Chrom.
Agreed.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, I'm pretty ticked about it. Villains are usually my favorite characters, there are no heroes unless there are villains too, those two roles are very dependant on each other. It's not like we're lacking in potential villains either, there are Ridley, K. Rool, Black Shadow and even Porky. We're lacking both a villain and a heavy weight newcomer though, so here's hoping for either Ridley or K. Rool.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
An Allstar roster is only complete with iconic villains. They are an important part for representing a series.
That's why I didn't like Brawl's roster that much in the first place.
Too many good guys.

Last edited:

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
The only significant Nintendo villains I can think of are Ridley and K. Rool. No one else comes even close.

With Wolf, Ganondorf, Wario, and Mewtwo coming back, plus Ridley and K. Rool, that gives every one of the "core" franchises a villain character. (I don't count Kid Icarus among those, and I highly doubt we'll get a third Kid Icarus character.) And yes I still do expect Mewtwo and Ridley, with K. Rool on edge. Wolf, Ganondorf, and Wario are definitely going to be back.
Only other villains I can think of that's as important to Ninty as Ridley and K. Rool is Mewtwo and Bowser Jr. (and maybe Vaati), any other villains that aren't already in the game would feel like adding villains for villains sake.

Brawl's Villains + Mewtwo + K. Rool + Ridley + Bowser Jr. would completely round up the important villains in Nintendo's history.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
bowser jr? really?n o.
he didnt even make it into mario kart. he hasnt even made a wii u appearence. think hes actually phased out.

hoping ridley comes within the next day or two. his traler could be a villain one with wario and ganon riding him

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
smash had been known to add character that are the flavor of the month.

Where is everyone getting mewtwo as a bad guy? literally the two other movies he was good. ( or at least neutral)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Now that person stands at my side
Now my friends are with me
Some of them were once heroes
Some, my mortal enemies

And as we face each other in battle, locked in combat
We shine ever brighter

--

Maybe Ganon :p

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
It is kind of irritating but the only villains that has a chance are Ridley, Mewtwo and K. Rool besides Ganondorf. We aren't seeing Porky and Black Shadow in Smash anytime soon.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Can people stop saying "Oh, there's no one to add but X, Y, Z villains/heavyweights/popular characters, so it's okay they aren't there." If anything, that should make the decision to add them that much more obvious, and by extension, the decision to exclude them that much more idiotic.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Should really be out of 50 characters

26 Heroes
14 Helpers
10 Villains

maybe mre villains. But really only Bowser, Wario, DeDeDe, Ganondorf, Wolf and Meta Knight? Wario and MK are only half villains too.

Give me Ridley, Pokey, Mewtwo, K. Rool!!! (yes Mewtwo is evil in Smash)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
One sollution:

Plus we have a heavy-weight. Am more upset about no heavyweight newcomers than no villains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom