• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anyone else really disappointed by Toon Link's reveal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I think his reveal seriously lowers the chances of any Zelda newcomers, and you can see from my signature that I was hoping for more than one. It's really depressing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nope.

Besides seeing as you wanted Vaati as one of them. I really can't see him making it in if Toon Link isn't there either anyway. Same goes for Skull Kid if Young Link isn't there. But that's just my opinion. :/

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
No, he's an interesting character and he deserves the slot way more than any other Zelda rep.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I agree (with Oniric and Kikwi).

Toon Link is a bit of a loved character through the smash series since his original form (that is, the idea of a second link) in melee (young link). As a character no-one was sure would make it into smash 4, I think his reveal is a representation of hope for many that Sakurai is caring about Brawl newcomers and willing to put them into smash 4.

My personal feelings are that I never wanted any Brawl characters cut, so to see Toon Link in is particularly relieving for me. Other newcomers will have their chance, i'm sure.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
The "toon" design has been used more than any other in the zelda games.
We got a badass realistic link and a link that represents almost all of the handheld games and Wind Waker.
I haven't kept up with any handheld zelda titles but even I can see how it would make sense to include Link's most prominent design.
Plus, melee die hards appreciate having a shorter Link clone.
I'm all for clones. Clones provide minor tweaks to characters which can make em more suitable to a person's playstyle.
All the fun of a character whose moveset you love, but with higher jump/more range/more speed at the cost of power/knockback/etc...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I would have been disappointed if he was not revealed.

Link is the iconic character for the Legend of Zelda series, and Toon Link is the representative for the classic kid-styled hero. Toon Link is a much more logical choice than any other character next to Zelda and Ganondorf.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I would have been disappointed if he was not revealed.

Link is the iconic character for the Legend of Zelda series, and Toon Link is the representative for the classic kid-styled hero. Toon Link is a much more logical choice than any other character next to Zelda and Ganondorf.
Pretty much this.

The "Toon" style is a pretty big part of the Zelda franchise, appearing in about...six games in the series, I think? It would be strange to not have the Toon side of the series represented with Toon Link.

Toon Link may lower the chances of another Zelda newcomer a bit, unless Sakurai sees a 5th slot being worthy, but were any other Zelda characters really likely? The most likely one, I think, is Tingle, since he is a reoccurring character in the series and starred in a few spinoff games. He has a bit of a hatedom after him, though, and is probably better suited as a goofy assist trophy.

Personally, I think the Zelda series is perfectly represented as it is. We have the Triforce Trio of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf, who usually share the same artstyle, and then Toon Link as an extra to represent the Toon styled games. They are the major, reoccurring characters of the franchise (the Zelda series usually gets a completely new set of supporting characters with each installment), and I think that's all that's really necessary. Don't get me wrong, if a Zelda newcomer did show up I wouldn't really be upset or anything. But I'd rather have newcomers focus mostly on series that are unrepresented.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Initially, I was surprised when I saw him to say the least. But after a while, I got used to his return. Just a strange character to reveal if he is a starter. If it weren't for Windwaker HD this probably wouldn't have happened.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
You're asking people in the Toon Link thread if they're disappointed by his return.
I mean really.

Xigger

Smash Lord
If your disappointment is focused entirely on "One Zelda character means other potential Zelda characters have less of a chance," then this really has nothing to do with Toon Link, but your dwindling hope of Vaati, Ghirahim, Impa, and Skull Kid. (But not Zant)

I think you should cast aside the fear that characters are limited by their franchise count, and support characters for being characters rather than franchise representation.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well Sakurai clearly does need a younger Link into the Smash series as he finds them to be very important to him. And if you think about, it does make sense why he thinks that way.

14 out of 17 Zelda games have featured a younger Link in the Zelda series (with Ocarina of Time featuring both an adult and child Link). Their actually far more important than the adult Link's who are often turned into the default Link's in Smash.

You know, I just think of the younger Link's as the Default Link's Luigi and it's not that bad in that way in my opinion. Besides, their not leaving anytime soon as I can definitely imagine them sticking around for many future games to come (if the series will even go for that many more games in the future that is), so you might as well start to get used to them.

Besides, the Zelda franchise doesn't really have any notable recurring characters who can actually stand on their own two feet without the reliance of another younger Link being there. The only exceptions I can think of are Tingle and Impa. Tingle because he has his own spin off series to represent (although that still wouldn't stop a child Link from making it into the game) and Impa (well at least the Skyward Sword one) would be just fine as well without a younger Link being there.

Anyone else is either just a one off or (to be honest) someone who I'm personally not sure I can see happening if their main enemy or friend, the younger Link, isn't there either. Examples like these are the likes of Vaati, Skull Kid, Toon Zelda and Tetra etc. It's like having Bowser but not Mario, or Wolf but not Fox. But that's just my own personal feeling towards that I guess.

Oh well, just giving my two cents of why we have the younger Link's in every Smash game since Melee. Had Sakurai originally made Young Link the default Link in Smash Bros 64, I'm fairly certain we wouldn't have dealt with this in future Smash Bros titles.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To be fair the link in the original 2 games and Link to the Past was in his mid-teens meaning he could go either way as far as child/adult classification goes but I agree with your points Kiwi.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I was including the Zelda II Link, (he grew up after the events from the first game I believe). So far I know, Zelda II, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are the only Zelda games confirmed to feature an adult Link. It's hard to tell with the likes of ALttP Link. But yeah, most Zelda games featured Link's who were at least in their teens from about 10 to 14/15 I guess.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I was disappointed. This game looked like it was full of flavor. Regular moves looking like smash moves, movements of characters better reflecting their games, new moves for some characters. I feel like Toon Link goes against this promising current.

But the in-game model does look good. He seemed balanced in Brawl, so maybe it was not all that time consuming to transport Toon Link over.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'm still disapointed.

How the hell is THAT character being reveled BEFORE Yoshi?
What are you planing Sakurai?

Seriously now,I believe Toon Link deserves a spot on SSB4(but he didn't and don't deserve to be revealed before Yoshi,that's just doesn't make sense.)

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Not disappointed as such, but I did feel as though Toon Link was one of the necessary cuts to ensure the game was clone-free this time around (clones are a waste of time when we all know the roster isn't going to expand all that much - this game could not even be vaguely balanced with >50 characters). So I know how some feel.

Still, as long as my top 4 get in (#5 would be a bonus), and none of my Brawl favourites (Sonic, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers) don't get cut, I'm cool with any character announcements.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I'm still disapointed.

Seriously now,I believe Toon Link deserves a spot on SSB4(but he didn't and don't deserve to be revealed before Yoshi,that's just doesn't make sense.)
I think they're just waiting for Yoshi's New Island/Yoshi's epic Yarn. And even though maybe he needs more work balancing him than for ex. Peach.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm still disapointed.

Aww Lukin, don't worry Yoshi's totally set in stone, there's no way he'd ever be outed, as far as I can see. I think Sakurai's deliberately saving him and the other original 3 left to be revealed for later. ^^

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Not disappointed, just surprised. Thought for sure we'd get more notable mainstay reps first. Sonic has just come and done it again too.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Not disappointed at all. Wind Waker was my first Zelda game and I was ecstatic to see him return.

What disappoints me is the fact that he doesn't seem to have moves from WW exclusive items. The Skull Hammer could be his forward Smash and his Spin Attack could follow with Deku Leaf, much like how G&W opens the Parachute after being launched upwards in his Up Special.

Similarly to the Deku Leaf, I think Link could have the Sailcloth from Skyward Sword which serves a similar purpose and could be interestingly implemented. But this is not the Link board.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Not really, Toon Link's left me alot more optimistic on the chances of most characters in Brawl being cut. Before Toon Link's reveal. I was thinking no more then 5 characters were getting cut. Toon Link showing up I believe has changed that to no more then 3.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm disappointed, but I'll forgive them if they make him more different from Link.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I am pretty disappointed. I mean I am a huge Zelda fan, but they could've fused Link and toon link to make a great character. I just feel like his spot could've been taken by a more deserving fighter.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Normally, I kind of would be, but since is Inclusion really helps Toad and Ridley, no.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think his reveal seriously lowers the chances of any Zelda newcomers, and you can see from my signature that I was hoping for more than one. It's really depressing.
I was too busy rubbing it in everyone's face. Toon Link has become my co-main ever since they desecrated and butchered Link. So I am glad to have him back. Not to mention, as a Jigglypuff supporter, it gave me some concrete evidence that Sakurai's priority has changed over the course of 5 years. Believe me, it was difficult to convince them until Toon Link came along. Actions speak louder than words. However, I feel your pain. I really want Tingle to be in the game. I feel as though his chances are attenuated. So it is a catch 22 for myself.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
It is quite disappointing that Toon Link's moveset is completely copied over from Brawl with no original flair from his line of Zelda games to utilize against TP/SS Link. A few posts about give so many ideas that could make Toon Link a truly worthy character and not just a character who sets in to promote another line of games.

That being said, I do have hope that Sakurai is using "character customization" to completely negate this, especially in Toon Link and Sonic's case. Because if he drops hints on a major game-immersing feature that isn't a gimmick like "CHANGE ATTACK DIRECTIONS AND SPECIAL EFFECTS LOLOLOLOL" and it turns out the wrong way, people will **** on SSB4 harder than they did to Brawl.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Um...

You people realize that the existence of Toon Link does not mean Link will be crap right?

O Dog

Smash Cadet
NNID
orionbc84
3DS FC
1521-2681-9055
There was a specific reason that Toon Link was revealed when he was. Wind Waker HD was released soon thereafter. The other original secret characters from Smash 64 (Puff, Falcon, Ness) will be revealed in time, along with Yoshi. Luigi was already confirmed, and will probably be a secret character per tradition.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nope.

I'd say Vaati has a better chance now that Toon Link is in.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not really, I used him more than normal Link. I can understand why some people are dissapointed though, Toon Link is probably the most clone-like character in Brawl. Maybe this bodes well that less characters are likely to get cut this time.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
How in the hell have I missed this thread?

I'm happy he's returning, as you can probably tell. He's hugely important to the LoZ series, popular, and represents the Child games, which obviously matter to Sakurai. I'm also happy because this means characters like Tetra or Vaati can get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom