• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is a Melee like game the way to go?

Mr.C

Smash Master
Tripping just makes people favour walking.
People using a fighting games vastly superior form of mobility? Crazy.

Brawl players choose walking as the primary form of mobility because it is the only form of mobility that doesn't heavily punish you. It's not the byproduct of tripping, it's the byproduct of having no other options.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
walking is amazing in melee too if you know how to do it right. it sacrifices dynamic mobility for more controlled movement where you have more options available to you.

just because dashing sucks **** in brawl doesn't mean that it improved the game by forcing people to walk
Honestly the walking buff and dashturn jumps are the only things in Brawl that would be nice to have in Melee. Unless you're Fox or Marth, walking has a stupidly slow initial speed in Melee that makes it not just slow, but sluggish.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
There isn't an invisible force that makes me trip independent of what I'm doing with my feet.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
But he's right. Don't you guys dash to try to punch giant, fire-breathing, evil turtles in the face, only to trip on your face and get smashed in the jaw to the the point where you fly backwards and explode?

Oh, that's right, YOU DON'T.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Just because some aspects aren't realistic doesn't mean none can be. Look at any FPS these days. Just because you respawn when you die doesn't mean we can't have realistic graphics or recoil/physics.

If you were running around on a floating platform while naked/carrying a bunch of equipment while being chased by a creepy flying bat monster with a sword...you might trip sometimes. I think the wiser, older Smash 4 crowd will appreciate tripping more.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just because some aspects aren't realistic doesn't mean none can be. Look at any FPS these days. Just because you respawn when you die doesn't mean we can't have realistic graphics or recoil/physics.

If you were running around on a floating platform while naked/carrying a bunch of equipment while being chased by a creepy flying bat monster with a sword...you might trip sometimes. I think the wiser, older Smash 4 crowd will appreciate tripping more.
Ha. You're funny.

Thanks for the laugh!

Although if you are serious, people play games to escape from reality and to feel empowered and in control. Tripping takes all of that away, which is why it is so unpopular.

Granted, things like tripping on certain surfaces, banana peels and from certain attacks should be kept, but RANDOM tripping should be thrown out.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Ever played Mario Party? Its alot of fun and blends skill with luck. Pokemon does the same and has a huge scene of competitive players. Managing random chance is a skill.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ever played Mario Party? Its alot of fun and blends skill with luck. Pokemon does the same and has a huge scene of competitive players. Managing random chance is a skill.
True. A skill I'm much better than my friends at. :p

But we have to remember that this is a fighting game. The audience is much different and they expect skill to translate into victory, not a factor in a match.

Perhaps tripping could be switched on or off, kind of like an item?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is it a fighting game?
Yes. Super Smash Bros is considered to be a fighting game.

A variant of party fighter. But a fighting game nonetheless.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
We should be more interested in how much fun a feature adds, not how it emulates real life.

Tesh

Smash Hero
One of the great things Smash excels at is transcending the "shoulds" of a genre. Where would we be if the designers listened when someone said "the audience expects KOs to be granted based on life bars" or "the audience expects all characters to be the same size"?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And what would be the benefit of turning on tripping, exactly?
To satisfy the people who want random tripping.

That's the only reason I can think of.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One of the great things Smash excels at is transcending the "shoulds" of a genre. Where would we be if the designers listened when someone said "the audience expects KOs to be granted based on life bars" or "the audience expects all characters to be the same size"?
The first statement is true.

Second statement however....

Competitively, the game would be more balanced and stronger which some people would love.

I have no idea why you brought size into this? What are you getting at? Other fighters have characters of differing size too. Zangief and Hugo are much bigger than Ryu and Ken (Street Fighter for those who don't know the characters).

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Lol not really. They copied nearly everything from outfoxies. The only time you should do away with a convention is when you plan on replacing it with something better.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's gameplay style is fun but I think they should return Melee's style of gameplay and even art style for a few Brawlers. Fox and Falco's new art styles were just bad and you can't forget how balance Melee was compared to Brawl.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Boyyyy...all i can say if a Melee style is not the way to go then a Brawl style is hella not either..

If i had no choice but to choose i would have a Melee 2.0 Over a Brawl 2.0 in a heartbeat no thinking required.

And thats me tryna be as nice as i can on this subject...wanting something new is nice it could breath new life into the game no doubt!

But it seems like a gamble..it could add more depth/value/more canon like features to the chars to represent them better or it could be worse than brawl..

Oww and trust me even though Namco are helping it could still end up worse or equally as worse than Brawl...anything is possible..but if they indeed do **** up the game sooo hard to that extent it could almost beat Gears of War 2 as the ''Worse sequal ever made''

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
I don't want SSB4 to be similar to Melee or Brawl's gameplay. I want it to be better than both. I think that's the best way to go.

Top Bottom