• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ireland & Northern Ireland Thread!

snook

Smash Apprentice
Nice to see another Cork player coming out of nowhere.
If you're looking for tournaments here we don't really have them often but whenever the street fighter guys are doing something at the Roudy we usually sneak in Smash. This used to happen on a semi regular basis (monthly) and I'll post here whenever they have something on.
Other than that I held weeklies at CIT on Tuesdays at 6pm to like 10pm which usually consisted of 3 players and occasionally some casuals who happen to be in the same room.
I'll probably be doing that again when the college term starts up again, not sure what day it'll be but you're welcome to come when it's sorted out.

But yeah your best bet for a nice competitive scene close to home would be Limerick when they get stuff started which is kinda unfortunate because it costs money to travel.

If there was enough interest I could ask the cork FGC if they'd be willing to try and book the Roudy more often for events. I'm sure they wouldn't mind having more Street fighter meetups and us smash guys can always tag along.

(not sure if anything I said makes sense I've been up for 32 hours)

Last edited:

PKMX

Smash Rookie
Nice to see another Cork player coming out of nowhere.
If you're looking for tournaments here we don't really have them often but whenever the street fighter guys are doing something at the Roudy we usually sneak in Smash. This used to happen on a semi regular basis (monthly) and I'll post here whenever they have something on.
Other than that I held weeklies at CIT on Tuesdays at 6pm to like 10pm which usually consisted of 3 players and occasionally some casuals who happen to be in the same room.
I'll probably be doing that again when the college term starts up again, not sure what day it'll be but you're welcome to come when it's sorted out.

But yeah your best bet for a nice competitive scene close to home would be Limerick when they get stuff started which is kinda unfortunate because it costs money to travel.

If there was enough interest I could ask the cork FGC if they'd be willing to try and book the Roudy more often for events. I'm sure they wouldn't mind having more Street fighter meetups and us smash guys can always tag along.

(not sure if anything I said makes sense I've been up for 32 hours)
The Roundy seems like a popular place for tournaments, so it would definitely be great to utilise that whenever SFV is happening there. Organising tournaments more often there would be great for the Cork FGC, and could potentially draw in new members. I'll definitely attend some of the CIT weeklies when they start up - I can get a cheap enough bus straight to CIT from a place pretty close to me so it shouldn't be any hassle to travel for it. If you ever need any help with organising events like that, feel free to hit me up. I know I'm young but I'm interested in TO'ing, I've read a lot about what it takes to organise events, and I'm pretty knowledgeable about the competitive Smash scene in general so I could at least give you a little help if you need it. Can't wait to be able to play some Smash with you aswell!

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
the problem with trying to host tournaments at different counties is that you're probably overestimating the number of smashers willing to go to tournaments that there actually is :[ it's unfortunate tbh, ireland has a surprisingly low number of people like that, and public transport doesn't make it any better

PKMX

Smash Rookie
the problem with trying to host tournaments at different counties is that you're probably overestimating the number of smashers willing to go to tournaments that there actually is :[ it's unfortunate tbh, ireland has a surprisingly low number of people like that, and public transport doesn't make it any better
I agree. For example, if you take a county like Co. Louth, I doubt that were would be enough competitive Smashers to make up a good, full tournament. I think a good thing to do would be to organise small, casual sessions in places that don't have much of a scene - if there is enough interest, organise some tournaments once every 1-2 months, and if there isn't, don't organise tournaments, but maybe have small weeklies in places where it wouldn't be hard to organise events, if there are at least a few people in the area who play Smash competitively.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Public transport is definitely the biggest problem, yeah. While I am very interested in seeing the scene grow, it's hard to justify travelling the eight hours to go to Cork from Northern Ireland. I think you guys could organise a few things and/or travel to Dublin and, while there, attempt to advertise any upcoming tourneys.

It might be an idea to make links leading to every county/province's local scene if we can. I imagine a lot of Cork players just don't bother with competitive because they assume there's no scene where they live or something so if Smash Ireland on FB says "Hey, Cork players go to this event!" then it'd help?

PKMX

Smash Rookie
Public transport is definitely the biggest problem, yeah. While I am very interested in seeing the scene grow, it's hard to justify travelling the eight hours to go to Cork from Northern Ireland. I think you guys could organise a few things and/or travel to Dublin and, while there, attempt to advertise any upcoming tourneys.

It might be an idea to make links leading to every county/province's local scene if we can. I imagine a lot of Cork players just don't bother with competitive because they assume there's no scene where they live or something so if Smash Ireland on FB says "Hey, Cork players go to this event!" then it'd help?
Public transport is a problem for me too. If I was ever able to go to a tournament in Dublin, it would be about €45 to go there by train (adult ticket for 16 and over, I'm 16 so that's what I rightfully should get), but I look a lot younger than my actual age so I could be a snake and get a child ticket for €25 ;) That's still a decent bit of money for me, but it's not too bad. However, the main problem would be walking through Dublin on my own because I'd probably get lost (only been in Dublin a few times and I can't remember the last time I walked through the place), and I'd be prone to any "bad people", because to them, I'd look like a lonely, vulnerable 12 year old xP (I'm kinda a safety freak as you can tell).

But yeah, if I did go to Dublin for a tournament, I'd definitely advertise any Cork tournaments that I might be co-organising at the time. I would post about them in Smash Ireland too because there are bound to be some serious Cork players out of the 800+ members. If more tournaments are organised in Cork, then more and more people who assume that there's no scene will hear about them will attend more, so the scene would really build up. There may even be a few people who don't know about the Facebook group [scrubs ;)] so I could get them to join and they'll hear about the Cork tournaments in the group, while building up Smash Ireland. If other counties with a respectable amount of players did the same thing, we could have an amazing Smash scene in Ireland, which I would absolutely love to see. We're going nowhere but up from here no matter what anyway!

I also need to send a message to the "Super Smash Bros Cork" Facebook page. I was delighted when I found that page last year but my heart dropped when I realised that they've been inactive since 21 July 2014 :/ Lol I gotta check to see if the admins still bother to check the page at least because I thought having pages for specific counties along with a massive country-wide group would be pretty badass for the scene.

Diamond Zero

Smash Cadet
I'm happy to announce that Super Smash Bros. Melee got added to GAME WARs, Northern Ireland's (first ever?) eSports event on the 15th & 16th of October. The event will take place in the Eikon Complex in Lisburn. We'll be working alongside Black Spark Gaming, the organisers of GAME WARs to run this. Tickets are limited so please consider buying them ASAP from their website.

Saturday is a Melee Singles event with an estimated prize pot of £500and Sunday is a Melee Doubles event with an estimated prize pot of £500. I'll update this once I have solid numbers.

Addressing the potential elephant in the room. Due to time and space allocation, we could only run one game and we chose Melee as we have to supply everything ourselves. If this goes well maybe we can make a push to have both games at the event next year if there is one.

If you have any questions hit me up.

Edit:The prize pot for this will not be anywhere near £500 (I did fear this would happen...

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Celtic Throwdown is coming up in just over a week! It's looking to be the biggest Smash tournament Ireland has ever seen with loads of competition. It's held in a lovely hotel, got a stream, got top English talent Khanage coming over, it has me like... if you can only make one event in the foreseeable future, this is the one to make.

Check out the website and Facebook page to pre-register and get all the details you need!
http://celticthrowdown.com/
https://www.facebook.com/events/1635167570096260/

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452
Celtic Throwdown was one of the most exciting tournaments I've watched. Although I wasn't able to attend, maybe next year if I get the chance I'll go and get bodied in front of 100+ people live on Twitch and at the venue.......that'll be exciting. =]

Now I have to play the waiting game for Newry VII which will probably happen in December 2016/January-February 2017 according to the fact that Guard Breaker said that they won't have another Newry event for a while on Facebook =[

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
CT 2016 Sm4sh results: http://asone.challonge.com/CT2016Sm4shFinals

1. GB | MINT :rosalina:
2. Skarfelt :4fox::4metaknight:
3. DAT | Khanage :4peach:
4. MagiMagi :4mewtwo:
5. SSKB | Arikado :4diddy::4sheik:
=5. Hackle Serpent :4littlemac::4bayonetta2:
7. RedSlasher :4ryu:
=7. RST | Fez :4tlink:

great event, good stuff from all players :) especially to MagiMagi for finally beating my diddy in the literally 70:30 matchup lol, and for Skarfelt defending ireland by sending Fez to losers and double eliminating Khanage!

Last edited:

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452
CT 2016 Sm4sh results: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_hBv2auONC-VGhzSjJtTWNUMkk/view

great event, good stuff from all players :) especially to MagiMagi for finally beating my diddy in the literally 70:30 matchup lol, and for Skarfelt defending ireland by sending Fez to losers and double eliminating Khanage!
skarfelt lost so it was a bad tournament =[

snook

Smash Apprentice
Was really fun honestly, felt like there was a lot to do so never got boring.

Too bad I bustered out just before top 8 :p

SMITHLER21

Smash Cadet
NNID
SMITHLER21
3DS FC
4897-6401-7861
CT 2016 Sm4sh results: http://asone.challonge.com/CT2016Sm4shFinals

Did Mint 6-0 Jonty?

snook

Smash Apprentice
Hey thought I should post this here considering there seems to be a bunch of hidden Cork players who might actually check this out but aren't in the FB group.

There's gonna be a Smash 4 (and possibly melee) tourney on October 1st in the Roundy bar/cafe, registration starts at 12 pm actual tournament should start between 1 pm and 2 pm.

There will be Street Fighter V and King of Fighters XIV too if people are interested. You'll also only have to pay €4 per tournament if you enter for multiple games.

Costs a fiver, location is pretty easy to find (right next to Argos in city center), should be friendlies afterwards too.
All ages welcome, just make sure to stick to the dress code (no hoodies when entering building). Once you enter the building just go up the stairs and you should see the room with setups and all that.

Facebook event page (will link once I get home from college)

Roundy Location on maps

And I believe we have weeklies there every two weeks on Wednesdays in the evening so feel free to come over, I'll post more details once I find out myself. (Think it's like 6pm to 10pm or something.)
Smash 4, SFV maybe melee too, always appreciate people bringing setups if possible.

Not sure if anyone from Cork will see this but just putting it out there anyway

Last edited:

PKMX

Smash Rookie
Hey thought I should post this here considering there seems to be a bunch of hidden Cork players who might actually check this out but aren't in the FB group.

There's gonna be a Smash 4 (and possibly melee) tourney on October 1st in the Roundy bar/cafe, registration starts at 12 pm actual tournament should start between 1 pm and 2 pm.

There will be Street Fighter V and King of Fighters XIV too if people are interested. You'll also only have to pay €4 per tournament if you enter for multiple games.

Costs a fiver, location is pretty easy to find (right next to Argos in city center), should be friendlies afterwards too.
All ages welcome, just make sure to stick to the dress code (no hoodies when entering building). Once you enter the building just go up the stairs and you should see the room with setups and all that.

Facebook event page (will link once I get home from college)

Roundy Location on maps

And I believe we have weeklies there every two weeks on Wednesdays in the evening so feel free to come over, I'll post more details once I find out myself. (Think it's like 6pm to 10pm or something.)
Smash 4, SFV maybe melee too, always appreciate people bringing setups if possible.

Not sure if anyone from Cork will see this but just putting it out there anyway
I am currently checking with my family to see if I can get a drive up there (drive back is sorted), and honestly, I think I am actually going to make it to this one ;D Absolutely can't wait to attend, meet some really good players and see how I perform in an actual tournament! Hope that a lot of Cork players go.

snook

Smash Apprentice
Good games dude was pretty fun playing against you.
Just a reminder that the next tourney should be on 22nd of October so feel free to pop in again if you like.

If anything changes with the date of the event I'll just post a quick update but if not just assume it's the same situation as last time.
Any other Cork guys are welcome to come too.

And weeklies changed to Monday, I think it's every 2 weeks starting this up coming Monday 8pm(?) at Roudy as usual.
Most likely anyone that's going already knows this stuff from the FB page but, again, just throwing this out there for any strays that find this board.

VerdantSmash

Smash Rookie
NNID
lVerdantl
Melee tournament drought is driving me up the wall. I NEED SOME MELEE GODDAMMIT. I bustered out at CT and at DR2 so I need something good soon ;_;

PKMX

Smash Rookie
Good games dude was pretty fun playing against you.
Just a reminder that the next tourney should be on 22nd of October so feel free to pop in again if you like.

If anything changes with the date of the event I'll just post a quick update but if not just assume it's the same situation as last time.
Any other Cork guys are welcome to come too.

And weeklies changed to Monday, I think it's every 2 weeks starting this up coming Monday 8pm(?) at Roudy as usual.
Most likely anyone that's going already knows this stuff from the FB page but, again, just throwing this out there for any strays that find this board.
Good news - I'm attending the tourney tomorrow! Hope to see you there again, I had great fun playing against you last time too ;D (never forget my Kirby Down B kill against your Fox's u-air at the top of the stage). I'm also bringing along a friend who hasn't played Smash in 6 years but is interested in diving into the competitive scene anyway (new players is always a good thing!) He doesn't have a controller but I can lend him mine when I'm not playing and maybe others can do the same if they're okay with it. Can't wait to see how I (and my friend) get on tomorrow! Currently praying for a big turnout.

snook

Smash Apprentice
Glad you brought that guy, was so hype lol.

Hopefully all those guys will be regulars at these things, and there's also that pretty good DDD player that showed up too late for the tourney that may come again.

yoshifan 34567

Smash Cadet
NNID
yoshifan34567
3DS FC
5370-1630-5452
whoa it's been a while since I posted here.

Anyways, just asking. Is there any updates on the next Newry event? There hasn't been one since August and I've been checking GB's Facebook almost daily for updates.

Lultam

Smash Cadet
whoa it's been a while since I posted here.

Anyways, just asking. Is there any updates on the next Newry event? There hasn't been one since August and I've been checking GB's Facebook almost daily for updates.
Last I heard from Paddy there won't be another Newry event until 2017 at the earliest

PKMX

Smash Rookie
Glad you brought that guy, was so hype lol.

Hopefully all those guys will be regulars at these things, and there's also that pretty good DDD player that showed up too late for the tourney that may come again.
Fak. Looks like the almighty Player 7 and I won't be attending the next tournament because it's on the same day as the final day of our school's show ;[ We were kinda praying that this complication wouldn't happen but oh well xP I'll see you at whatever tournament comes after the next one! (hopefully)

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Anybody in Dublin wants to hang out and play? I posted something in the Smash Dublin FB Group but this place seemed to be dead... Right now i am in Mullingar but i am going to take the bus to Dublin this evening and stay there for a week. i want to plaz melee so bad :D

Lultam

Smash Cadet
Anybody in Dublin wants to hang out and play? I posted something in the Smash Dublin FB Group but this place seemed to be dead... Right now i am in Mullingar but i am going to take the bus to Dublin this evening and stay there for a week. i want to plaz melee so bad :D
There's a weekly with melee on tomorrow in the black sheep in Dublin from 6pm if you're about

https://www.facebook.com/theblacksheepdublin/

LowKnee

Smash Rookie
I just called Black Sheep and they said they didn't have any tourney planned...said to check their twitter, where I also saw no mention...anywhere in Dublin where I can play some melee with some people?

Lultam

Smash Cadet
Top Bottom