• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

MTKD

Smash Apprentice
what if joker did 5% would that work?

The word venue derives from the Latin for to come, and implies a place that people come to. The word may refer to:

* A venue as the location for a significant event
* Venue (law), place of a trial
* Change of venue, moving a trial to a new location
* Music venue, concert site, especially among touring acts
* Sports venue, arena or other showground for sporting events
* Theater (structure), location for performing theatre
* Venue (magazine), "what's on" magazine for the Bristol and Bath areas of the United Kingdom

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Tournament hosts/venue? Taking money out of the pot? Someone alert the news!

Well i just found about the 10% and kinda do think its a bit much. With that said it isn't as much jokers decision as our parents. How many peoples parents will be fine with 20 ~ 30 random people showing up. This is more to appease them more then anything.

This is how i see it. We can have this tourney for free and be the last one and no more tourney's for Des Moines or a 5~10% take from the pot and continue with the tournaments.

* A venue as the location for a significant event
Yep, the basement does qualify as a venue.

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
wow 25%............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................HOLD IT!, thats a lot

Echo

Smash Champion
hey guys dont worry about it... The bills on me. I have a dollar in change in my car.

Really though, you are the joker, but I hope this is a joke. You really aren't doing anything for Iowas rep since people still recall the infamous no damage tournament in Des moines.

How many times have I let you stay at my place without charging you? Sounds awfully disrespectful to me, especially when I'm not even staying the night. On top of that, you know the odds of winning the brawl tourney are highly in your favor, and with 10 a person for singles you should be able to give your mom a buck or 2, if that's really the case. Oh and the doubles pot, too. You're a really nice guy Christian, its kinda dissapointing to see something so outrageous from you.

Oh and for the record, MTKDs arguement is stupid.

MTKD

Smash Apprentice
Oh and for the record, MTKDs arguement is stupid.
well people are complaining its not a Venue, so I gave them the def. of VENUE and it meets Jokers Basements requirements. Thats all I'm going to say, because this argument is like abortion, it will never end. PEACE.

and Joker has already talked to JBM about the NE peps.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Tourney Update

I was talking to JBM about an hour ago over the whole 10% thing, and told him if i bring it down to 5% shouldn't be as bad, also i only be taking out of Brawl Doubles and Singles, i won't be taking anything from Melee to give NE a break after all they are driving all the way here.

Assuming Brawl Doubles has around 20 people playing(10 teams)
and 20 people playing Singles if i just take 5% from both which i think is 50 cents per person that's about 10 for Doubles and 10 for Singles.

So guys. . . .

sluys

Smash Journeyman
I'm fine with the 5% but you gotta stop saying it's for only for electricity.

If you want electricity reimbursed, just say so and I'll pay for it all - and you don't have to piss anyone off.

Tyser

Smash Champion
I just wasted my time reading some pretty hilarious shit about this electric bill shit hahaha. If it makes things easier, Ill donate $10 so that this bull shenanigans can be settled. *Gives JBM the money even though Tyser isnt kreeping.

§chizm

Smash Lord
Wow people need to stop QQing about this stuff, Joker isn't doing it for shady purposes (WTF people), he's doing it because his mom is worried about electricity or whatever else. Not everyone knows how to calculate power consumption, I sure as hell know that my parents used to freak out when I ran three PC setups in my room (Low spec servers), for no reason whatsoever.

Also, WTF Tyser. I was expecting Wario dittos. :ohwell:

Oh, and if anyone needs help with anything tomorrow (Directions, etc.) call me at 515-681-4799, since it's almost impossible to get a hold of Joker by phone and I'll probably be there early to help set up. (You should put this in the first post as well Joker).

I hope to see all you peeps tomorrow.
:wario:- WAH WAH WAH.

gantrain05

Smash Master
hey, so i'm just wondering if the crew battles are going to have an entrance fee or if its just going to be done w/ friendlies and nothing official?

L0ngSh0t

Smash Rookie
This is how i see it. We can have this tourney for free and be the last one and no more tourney's for Des Moines or a 5~10% take from the pot and continue with the tournaments.
And don't forget the third option, 5-10% take from the pot and still be the last one and no more tourney's.

But anyway I think one of the reasons people are angry is because of the time frame the changes were made in. 2 days before the event. Not good planning. Surely the issues of the money could have been brought up earlier, like say 1 month earlier, so people could more accurately judge if it was worth it to go or not. I doubt the price of electricity has jumped significantly since last month and I would think one would have asked the venue owner if everything was ok before making an event. Not saying 5% is much but still. So that kind of leaves us trapped and people generally don't like being trapped. Because I'm sure like myself, people have made plans in their busy schedules already and it's hard to make any changes to a months worth of planning with 2 days of change. I'm sure it was unintentional but still, the host is now stuck trying to appease the venue owner(understandable but inconvenient timing), out of towners(just wondering if my crew is flying in from Alaska can we lower it to 1%?), in towners, regulars, new people, his best buddies(or a.k.a i'm cool with whatever he says), etc. So we have to wait and see who the host is most loyal to or what compromises he comes up with, hey I'm enjoying it.

I'd be willing to split the 'electric fee' with Sluys if that's really what it is.

jimbob13ia

Smash Rookie
yeah, the electric thing shouldn't be such a big deal...either way Kiwi and I will show up between 7 and 8 i think to see the end of brawl and to be there in time to get our a$$es handed to us and leave by 9...should be fun though

h4rdcor3

Smash Journeyman
From what i've read there are two different discussions going on.
1. the fee is to cover the cost of electricity
2. the fee is what the venue charges because lots of tourneys do that

The initial post said that the fee was going to be for the cost of electricity, which is what i was freaking out about, because electricity for the few hours that we are there doesn't add up to much. Because of the difference between the actual cost of electricity and the cost being taken out many people were assuming that Joker just wanted to make a few extra bucks. When he may not have known how much it would have cost, which most people don't.

If Joker wants to charge an entrance that is his choice , what it will do to attendance is still up for grabs. If there is a charge I believe that it should not be affiliated with any one of the tourneys, but a small entrance fee. Such as 50 cents, which to most people would not object to. Taking off the top of one or two tourneys just doesn't seem fair to me, but I understand why Joker would decide to do just brawl.

So just for clarification, Joker: Is this going to be a coverage for electricity or a venue fee?

Proficient (-BC-)

Smash Ace
Your tourney took out 25% + ($5 to enter) of the pot, even thought it was only singles, but thats still alot.
Omfg MTKD... As i've stated many times before i did NOT host that tourny. The Gaming Center was hosting the tourny and i helped out with rules and such. I had no say in anything such as entry fees, prize money split, and how much would be taken out of the pot for the venue.

Don't try and say I was the one that said to take 25% out of the pot plz.

-BC-

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
who is all playing melee?

everytime you post next you must verify whether or nto you are playing melee.

or i will be a sad panda.

Uli

Smash Champion
i think im going for sure now so yeahh

will be playing MEELEE
might play brawl idk!

MTKD

Smash Apprentice
I'll be there playing melee (better then Brawl). Since I live there I want it quite at 9 pm so I can get sleep. HE HE HE He

gantrain05

Smash Master
well guys, the big day is tomorrow, lookin forward to seeing some more new faces, and gettin my arse pwnd in melee, but it'll be fun.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
So just for clarification, Joker: Is this going to be a coverage for electricity or a venue fee?
Is a little bit of both but is mostly for my mom to thank her in a way for letting me use her house.
10% was a little to much but i was just using the % everyone used, one tourney i went in Lincoln took like a 100, my is only 20 the most, and if I charge people an entry fee it should be around the same amount.

I know it was sudden about the whole % thing but i was trying to please u guys by having this tourney and my mom.

Also sorry JBM, but i had to clarify some stuff, but yeah I may enter Melee if I can play both at the same time and if i have a partner for Melee.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
btw folks, its gonna be both singles and doubles for melee and it will be 5 dollars per player for teams and ten for singles.

captain love is mm me, any more?

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
i'll be playing mostly melee and maybe brawl if i feel like it, and most likey i'll just be doing friendlies since i have no more money

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
JBM good sir, I was completely unaware that you were ever in Des Moines. It must have been while I was on my year-long hiatus. I am not as good as I once was, but you will hear no johns during our friendlies.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I'm coming late to avoid the Brawl doubles, though I may Melee friendly during that time (if there's setups), who knows. Looking forward to repping Pikachu :p
I'll do Brawl singles but only if they don't interfere with Melee singles/doubles.

MTKD

Smash Apprentice
Also sorry JBM, but i had to clarify some stuff, but yeah I may enter Melee if I can play both at the same time and if i have a partner for Melee.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

If you want to be my partner I will, but if you've talked to Cpt. Love or someone else already, I'll understand.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I'm coming late to avoid the Brawl doubles, though I may Melee friendly during that time (if there's setups), who knows. Looking forward to repping Pikachu :p
I'll do Brawl singles but only if they don't interfere with Melee singles/doubles.
i'll play some friendlies w/ ya in between my brawl matches, (assuming i'm not out the first round lol) but yeah, i'm gonna need quite a bit of friendly matches for melee to get back into the game, i haven't played in so long.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I'm assuming there's going to be a lot of that, since Brawl rust is pretty hard to get off.

@ Joker: Do you need me to bring a Wii/Gamecube and Brawl/Melee, or are there enough setups?
Also, @ whoever: Is it Melee Singles or Doubles or both?

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
Bring a Melee setup dude, there are plenty of Brawl setups coming.

I believe Melee (as well as Brawl) will have singles and doubles.

Top Bottom