• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
I have money problems that need to be fixed out right now. That's why I'm unsure of things when people ask me. If I get situated with everything, then I will gladly drive the 26th, if not, I'm sure Brandon would drive if you didn't want to drive Blake. ;)

resTy

Smash Champion
Pretty sure Joker is canceling this because he won't get competition in MVC in Iowa. Nebraska supposedly has a decent amount of actual gamers so there may be more chance for him to get experience or something. Is anyone from Iowa even going to play MVC serious except Joker and Ngamer?

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
I have money problems that need to be fixed out right now. That's why I'm unsure of things when people ask me. If I get situated with everything, then I will gladly drive the 26th, if not, I'm sure Brandon would drive if you didn't want to drive Blake. ;)
It's not necessarily that I don't WANT to drive, it's just a long frick'n' way and it's silly for me to drive if people from DSM are going. It's a better drive and less dangerous than KC or Minnesota so it's all good if I have to, but I need gas money. It'll take two full tanks worth plus more so I don't end up on empty when I get back home.

Pretty sure Joker is canceling this because he won't get competition in MVC in Iowa. Nebraska supposedly has a decent amount of actual gamers so there may be more chance for him to get experience or something. Is anyone from Iowa even going to play MVC serious except Joker and Ngamer?
Don't forget Blank, he's gonna own both of us. Theeeen there's SRK, which includes I guess two serious long term players. Anyone else is very likely to quit after a given amount of time. Anyway, screw them right now.

Blank said he was going to. I'll stay out of the Marvel scene until Jin gets announced as DLC. :)
A little birdy says that the next DLC will be Frank West and Elektra. Sorry. :(

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Greg: Here is a little trivia question for you. :) Back when you were in single digits, there was a game that came out that had Variant Armor Blodia II Custom as a selectable character (the robot of your favorite MvC character Jin). This game was developed by Capcom and was for the Dreamcast. Like almost all random obscure dreamcast fighters, I'm insanely good at it...name that game :-)

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Greg: You get bonus points for speed :). Yeah, hahaha, it is Tech Romancer. We will play it next time at my next Labor Day get together.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Hey Kudou or anyone whos coming to Joker's. If you can bring a tiny screw driver or something that'd be nice. Trying to fix me and Joker's busted *** PS2's.

Or Kudou bring your PS2. ^o^

Nah but really. 2 PS2s broken in the same household, hopefully want to salvage one.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
@Blank: OMG How did they port the stages so beautifully? Those stages are near PERFECT replicas except in "HD".
Some aren't ported. FroznHobo and others specifically worked hard to remodel them from scratch. If anything is ported over it is simply textures.

BPx

Smash Lord
K so biweekly-monthly thing this weekend. Joker wanna just change the thread title in case randoms show up? Can Grinnell come? Any chance someone from mount mercy can drive besides blake since he is going to be driving here every other week this month? If central iowa doesn't wanna show up saturday, prolly a bust and we'll have to wait till auras :/

Omaha, you busy this weekend?

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Dammit. Stupid ****in dance is done now and games get cancelled lol.
You could always just come down this weekend instead it's not as big but is going to be fun ^.^
We're going to have Doubles with Items on maybe singles either way ITEMS 0.0

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This is lame, because of the MvC thing.
IT'S MARVEL BABY!!!

But hey we're having a biweekly this weekend so some of Iowa will come maybe Omaha o.0

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
Hey Kudou or anyone whos coming to Joker's. If you can bring a tiny screw driver or something that'd be nice. Trying to fix me and Joker's busted *** PS2's.

Or Kudou bring your PS2. ^o^

Nah but really. 2 PS2s broken in the same household, hopefully want to salvage one.
if ur talkin about this saturday then i'll drop by after work with the utensils to open up ur guys ps2 and such

Soran

Smash Ace
Well, Scarlet Phoenix is hitting marvel pretty hard. I too will be playing pretty seriously.

I think I'd like to go to this Omaha thing; if it is alright with you, Ngamer, could you give me a lift? Again, generous amounts of guala to give. I think I want to do the BlazBlue tournament.. and Brawl (of course)

If everything is alright, just hit me up with the plans. (if it's alright)

BOLT08

Smash Lord
I was considering playing MvC3 for realsies. But idk, i don't want to spend the money on those weird *** arcade sticks everyone buys.

Do those things give you an advantage at all? Or is someone using a regular 360 controller as laughable as seeign someone use a mad catz?

@Pcity @BpX - Games today? Please? I've been practicing, and yeah. I wanna pwn some noobs.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
LOL, so much irony here.

Yeah, you can totally get away with using a pad, no problem. Or you can buy one of those Fightpads that looks like a Sega Saturn controller's button layout. Those are nice because they have a good D-pad and the buttons are good too, like $45.

Actually all the best quality sticks and even those fightpads I mentioned are all made by Madcatz.

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
The sticks and fightpads that are made by Mad Catz are pretty closely watched when they're making them, not like their other inferior products that break as soon as you buy it.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
So would it not be acceptable to use a regular 360 controller? Brandon! I see you lurking. Any plans for des moines today/tomorrow?

PortCity

Smash Ace
@CBK: Man learn this stuff! I need practice against it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blh2_pX73GY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/user/KPrime04#p/u/2/MlbGCHl3xzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMg-yXt192M
http://www.youtube.com/user/KPrime04#p/u/10/G4pHZUJGG0k
http://www.youtube.com/user/KPrime04#p/u/28/8QJRvH5LNj0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3gT7Hlw6TI&feature=player_profilepage
http://www.youtube.com/user/KPrime04#p/u/30/IEtw0HvpNc4

I'm gonna be hella mad if I ever go back to Florida and Esam hits me with madness like this :). To motivate you, I figured out how to make Diddy's infinite work on Pikachu :-D ... So I'll be trying it out on you if I catch you slippin' :-)

@Debo: Man Bpx be talking behind your back when you aren't around...this is what he be saying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH5VbjDPToU&feature=player_detailpage#t=195s

BPx

Smash Lord
Aura's will be brawl, and I'd guess there might be enough Iowans to fill two cars? Not sure. Nerdtron might have some brawl friendly setups, but no tourney.

I guess we'll start signups for my car to Aura's
1.Me
2.Dustin
3.Colin
4.?probably joker?
5.(if you wanna ride *****)?

Could ask for the van again, but I don't think it'd fly.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
p.s. This is REAL gameplay.. not that BS you see from that.. w/e tournament.
What are you talking about? Gameplay from tourneys isn't more real then journalist hype videos?

Bolt, you can use a 360 controller and it won't be frowned on, but be prepared to switch to a PS3 pad when its needed since there really is no standard console for these games.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Well, I have a PS3 too. So I guess I could just do it there, or something.

Idk, lame. b*tches be lame.

Also, me brandon and se'kou will be at joker's tonight. People better show up. I need practice, I'm coming FULL FORCE this Saturday.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Or you can buy one of those Fightpads that looks like a Sega Saturn controller's button layout. Those are nice because they have a good D-pad and the buttons are good too, like $45..

Very very this. If I owned a 360 I would have this pad so I could play platformers Mega Man.

Edit: My car is for sure going to be in the shop so I would need a ride on whatever day you have low tiers, I mean the bi-weekly. Probably nothing major on the car (a leak) but it'll take a weekend.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I've never been more excited for Wesker... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJxzu3mCzx8
Dude I was exited the moment he was announced actually this is pretty close to how I reacted ^.^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33iJpxf-eDE&#t=0m7s

My characters (waiting to get the game to find out teams)
(any order) Deadpool, Wesker, Amaterasu, Zero, Dante, Akuma

Discuss! (teams/characters)
Well I'm obviously going to play everyone but my main team will most likely be Dante, Wesker and Zero all Capcom baby probably make a Marvel team which be like C.America, Iron Man, Spider Man and of course I have to have a female team so She Hulk, Jill and Trish <3

I was considering playing MvC3 for realsies. But idk, i don't want to spend the money on those weird *** arcade sticks everyone buys.

Do those things give you an advantage at all? Or is someone using a regular 360 controller as laughable as seeign someone use a mad catz?
I think is just preference really I mean I could learn to play with sticks it's like Greg mention I lived in Mexico across an Arcade place why don't I play with Stick >.<
But yeah I should learn but I prefer playing with the PS3 pad, 360 sucks for fighters I tell you what. Also I think the main reason I don't play with sticks is that I don't have money for them so maybe if I win enough MvC3 tourneys I'll get some <(^.^<)

Aura's will be brawl, and I'd guess there might be enough Iowans to fill two cars? Not sure. Nerdtron might have some brawl friendly setups, but no tourney.

I guess we'll start signups for my car to Aura's
1.Me
2.Dustin
3.Colin
4.Joker
5.(if you wanna ride *****)?

Could ask for the van again, but I don't think it'd fly.
Fix. I think that should be everyone from Iowa, as for the tourney on the 26th I was thinking the same thing that maybe we can get some Brawl friendlies in there.

Soran

Smash Ace
What are you talking about? Gameplay from tourneys isn't more real then journalist hype videos?
Sorry, Blank. But when players are 1-2 punching then high jumping away into assist it isn't really that great.. "Let's do 2 mediums with Zero and then jump away!"

combos, people. This isn't MVC2 anymore. (not to say MVC2 doesn't have combos.. but people are playing it that way[MVC2 way])

Dude I was exited the moment he was announced actually this is pretty close to how I reacted ^.^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33iJpxf-eDE&#t=0m7s[/color]

That was my reaction after I saw the gameplay (the Wesker reveal) ; P I honestly wasn't that into Wesker. But later I realized he is pretty much like Darth Vader and is a complete and total badass

Well I'm obviously going to play everyone but my main team will most likely be Dante, Wesker and Zero all Capcom baby probably make a Marvel team which be like C.America, Iron Man, Spider Man and of course I have to have a female team so She Hulk, Jill and Trish <3
See, I usually go all one side too. Like in TVC I went all Tatsunoko. I had a Tatsunoko team and a Capcom team. (Casshern/Karas, Mega Man/Casshern.... >_> so I guess it wasn't an all-capcom team .-.) But yeah, for the most part I just played Tatsunoko.

So, I don't like enough of the Marvel characters to make a Marvel team. Deadpool is just too cool to give up so I just threw him in my characters-to-play list.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Sorry, Blank. But when players are 1-2 punching then high jumping away into assist it isn't really that great.. "Let's do 2 mediums with Zero and then jump away!"

combos, people. This isn't MVC2 anymore. (not to say MVC2 doesn't have combos.. but people are playing it that way[MVC2 way])
You have no idea what you're talking about.

People are going to play as lame as they want to, in any game. If you didn't expect this you really are ignorant. Specially when most tournaments I've seen players are unfolding the game in order of what matters, not combos. Simple DHC's, assist cover/chip damage, and super keep-away/camp tactics.

Soran

Smash Ace
are we still into QWOP?

I just tried it out. Interesting......
at one point I started moonwalking >_> it was upsetting.

I got to 4.3m

EDIT: GUYS! I mastered it! press O + W and then Q + P and he STEPS!

10.3m and I'm done for the night. This game is especially fun with ADD : D

Top Bottom