• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Investigation - Your character's hardest Match Up?

Zelderu Maryoto

Smash Apprentice
Hi. This is an investigation that I made because of curiousity. I got the idea from SuSa, who made an investigation on what was each character's most important match up to learn, whom I PM'd and asked if I could do this investigation. I was allowed to.

Basically, the rules for this investigation is exactly the same as SuSa's, except for the fact that you, in this investigation, are allowed to vote in as many Character Boards as you want to.

I'm posting this investigation in every Character Board on Smashboards. The purpose of this investigation is to figure out what character is one character's hardest. You may discuss it in this thread before you vote.

When you vote, you simply say one particular character you find the hardest for the character in question. But it is your first vote that matters. Whenever I see people have voted in this thread, I edit and write the name of the person that voted and then the character the person voted for.

If you have any question, ask it.

OK, let's get started!

smashkng - Falco
Z1GMA - Falco
Reim - Falco
Exalted - Falco
soldiviner - Falco
DLA - Ice Climbers
bigbucks - Ice Climbers
Vermanubis - Falco
Makke - Falco
Supreme Dirt - Falco
Breezy - Falco

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Ganon has so many bad MUs that we have to measure how hard he gets *****. But of all, worst I'd say Falco, because Ganon has no answer to lasers, can't punish it because it lags so little and our fastest move is 8 frames and then Illusion is also annoying to deal with. My vote is for Falco.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I gotta agree with everyone else thus far and say Falco. Of all characters my Dorf has faced, none were as frustrating as that accursed bird man.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Falco? Guys, this matchup isn't that hard. 20:80 at least, probably 25:75 IMO. Read Fonz's summary of the Falco matchup in Z1g's personal MU thread. It helps a lot and makes the matchup very simple.

certain things before detail. but if he tries to Jab >Grab you can spot dodge the grab everytime. THE CHAINGRAB TO SPIKE WILL NEVER KILL YOU EVER EVER EVER. You can simply jump and Up+B on the stage everytime. Lasers are easily PS'ed, if you can't PS them then you need to learn to. Bad falco's will laser a lot, and that's what gets them punished. Ask Larry he says Falco's laser to much. You need to JAB A LOT in this MU. Use the grounded Wizkick offstage to knock falco out of his Side-B to gimp him. especially if they like to do the drop below the stage jump side-B stupidness that ='s easy Wizkicks or ledgegrab edgeguards. Just WALK at Falco and PS his lasers until you get to that Sweep Distance.

When Falco's are SH Lasering (Not double):
Move in to about sweep distance (To the point where they have to DASH to grab you) This leaves them with only a few options. The most basic and safe one for them is to side-B and run away to the other side. This can be shielded, don't really try to hit him cause your too slow. His other ones are DA or Dash grab. both can be beaten by Dair (If you PS the laser) If you don't roll away instantly. You can also Jab to stop his Approaches after the laser, if he shields the jab then you need to GTFO, but since your at sweep distance he can't shield very quickly due to Dash startup lag. The last thing he can do is Roll or just keep Lasering. if he lasers keep waiting or you can be risky and try to jab his landing lag it's risky because Lasers shut down most attacks. If he rolls well Punish his stupidity with Ganons Thunderstomp.

Where you want Falco:
In the AIR, Uair *****...his Dair is awesome but our UAir *****. you want to be diagnolly below and to his FRONT. his Bair ***** don't contest it. Falco's Air dodge sucks, Punish it. Get him offstage as much as possible. Like I said use the Wizkick to gimp. It knocks him straight out of the Phantasm unless he is straight up in your face. IF FALCO EVER uses his UP+B and he doesnt DIE. you need to work on your edge game because you absolutely choked. Tipmans and grab the ledge, simple stuff.

Things to avoid:
Jab > Grab setup....Spot dodge it then roll away. Yes you can spot dodge it.
Nair > Grab.....Don't let falco Fall ontop of you where this can happen.
Dair's you into the ground Walk away F-smash. Falco's do this all the time be careful look for it.
He can also jab after the dair to a grab. DI away to avoid the jab after the Dair.
At high %'s avoid Getup attacks on the ledge if they shield it they can Usmash.

If you shield their smash attacks depending on spacing you can try to punish with Jab or DA. Doesn't have to be a perfect shield. If he Dair's your shield and is DI'ing to your front JAB HIM. if the back just move away.

Ways they look for kills:
Laser to Usmash, Fsmash on the ledge. Or Bair. If you are at the sweep distance your jab will come out before their Usmash if you perfect shield the Laser. If you didn't PS then stay in shield or roll away. Bair is easy to see coming. Fsmash will hit you on the ledge be careful.

Falco SUCKS off the map, DO NOT be afraid about recovering you **** EVERYTHING he can do to you offstage. (getting back on stage is different lol)...Smarter Falco's will walk and Jab, and Ftilt a lot these are dangerous to us it's hard pressure, Control the center of the stage so you have somewhere to retreat. I.E. platforms. Watch your DI on his Ftilt it can put us into bad situations.

ALSO TRY TO FSMASH the Phantasm every once in a while YOU CAN GET LUCKY! This is a very frustrating and difficult MU, but it's not impossible. Play patient and don't lose your cool. Your rarely going to have percent lead. Just get the first kill and then he has to approach. His Throws CANNOT kill so if you have to play Shieldy when at high percents if your up a stock.

Don't gerudo it's worthless in this MU, Falco's Love to Spotdodge Punish it with Dair. Unless they PS the dair its pretty safe if you space it correctly.

This is all I can think of now Sorry I didn't go into extreme Detail, but I'm tired lol. And btw this isn't even half of what I have written down for Falco in my Notebook lolz.
All of this is really REALLY good info, and very applicable to the MU. After reading this and applying it, Falco became one of my favorite MU's to play.

As for my opinion... ICs vs Ganon is the hardest matchup in the game.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I heard Breezy eats ICs for breakfast.
Yes he seems to be very good at the matchup. He took a game off of Lain in pools.

I probably won't change my mind unless I see a Ganon win a set against a top Icies player though :p It's simply a ******** matchup.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Ice Climbers on Final Destination is completely unwinnable. Luckily for us, we can ban that stage

That said, I'll have to say Falco. Falco isn't unwinnable, but he makes up for his inability to actually kill us by preventing us from getting hits on him. It's a painful matchup, to say the least.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I didn't say you were wrong.
I just stated that Falco is a bird, for no reason :p

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I didn't know so many people here had that much trouble with the Falco matchup... if you guys want some help then I can record some matches vs. Arty. The matchup is really quite simple and systematic (offline at least).

Breezy

Smash Ace
I have no idea what I'd say Ganon's hardest MU is. Falco is the most annoying MU for me, followed closely by Olimar. Gayest MU for me would be DDD followed by ICs (I can't stand DDD's chaingrab, most depressing thing in the world). Longest to learn would be MK, just because theres so much **** he can always do, followed by Falco.

Now that was all just opinion really. I have no way of picking out one specific MU that I can say is the hardest for Ganon, metagame wise, so I'm just gunna go with Falco, since that MU frustrates me the most.

Top Bottom