• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Introduction to Competitive Battling -Sariku and shadydentist merger

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Excellent guide I must say.

I just have two questions.

1. I know in the 3rd Gen after maxing out stats you could use rare candies to get to level 100 and not mess up your stats, because you had already maxed them out so you would just be gaining what you would get naturally. If I use my AR to get some Rare Candies, and feed them to my EV trained Pokémon will they miss out on stats that they would get by battling other Pokémon? I didn't confuse you did I?

2. Are you sure that if an Egg move is deleted I can restore it at the move tutor? I thought only moves the Pokémon learned naturally where there.

Thanks.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Not exactly. Depending on the method you use you could use 10 of each vitamin(HP Up/Zinc) which give ten EVs each. 10 x 10 = 100 so using vitamins, you get 100 EVs. Let's now use bidoof as an example. Bidoof give 1 EV in HP so if you want 252 in HP you would have to KO 252 bidoof without any kind of boost, or 152 bidoof if you used the Vitamins prior. For more details read my previous posts.

The reason that the guide says 25 is because you could just KO 25 _________(s) is because if you use the EV training method that has both pokerus and the power item(stated above) gives 10 EVs in a stat if you KO the proper the pokemon in its respective stat(ex: bidoof and power weight) and 25 x 10 = 250 which is close to 252. Hope I wasn't confusing.

Onvoloper

Smash Cadet
So, I kill 252 Bidoofs to get max HP and then 252 Tentacools to get max sp def. I just gotta kill one after the other?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
So, I kill 252 Bidoofs to get max HP and then 252 Tentacools to get max sp def. I just gotta kill one after the other?
No. You can kill 100 Bidoofs (make sure you keep track!), then kill 252 Tentacools, then go back and kill 152 Biddofs and still get the EVs from the Bidoofs.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

OniLink171

Smash Apprentice
Do you have the power items or macho brace?

If your using a power item, just kill 51 ______s

If your using a macho brace..... kill 126 _______s o.O

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
These are Pokemon that Max out in Speed and Attack. The best one have high IV's in both of these, and are fully EV'd in it. An example of a Physical Sweeper would be Garchomp.

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Nature - Adamant
EV 252 Atk / 252 Speed

Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Brick Break
Crunch

This Garchomp specializes in strong Physical Moves. Dragon Claw to take out other fellow Dragons, Earthquake because is a very common, yet strong move. Brick Break to destroy the annoying Blisseys, and finally Crunch as your common battle move. You might be able to get an Ice Move instead of others. This is the essence of a Physical Sweeper.
Brick Break is useless tbh. Blissey takes the same damage from Quake. (100 + STAB = 15).

Needs more Outrage for late game sweeps.

daw_guy

Smash Rookie
Great guide. I finally found out how to level ep.
How do you get the pokerus though?

(typo on milotic and 4.2.2)

marthsword

Smash Ace
When you were writing about tiers, you made some small mistakes in the UU tier explanation. You spelled vespiquen with two E's instead of 1. Also, Smogon says Abomasnow is OU now, not UU.

Dosky

Smash Rookie
this really helped, i only didnt know about the EV training which now i know, but now i dont feel like training other pokemon now that i have trained 6 pokemon to lvl 100, but hey domo arigatou

Juuka

Smash Rookie
Good guide, but the movesets need huge revamps (especially Steelix's). Also, you have some typo's regarding moves (like Shadow Sneak- it only has a move priority of +1, it can miss if there is some sort of accuracy modifiers such as Sand Veil). There should also be item changes, such as Crobat (Quick Claw is pretty dumb with it, as it outspeeds everything in OU, aside from Deoxys-S).

In my opinion, Serebii's IV calculator is a pain in the *** to handle. http://metalkid.info/Pokemon/OnlineProgram/Calculators/IV.aspx is much better for breeders and whatnot. This should also be included in the "Why Breed" section, as many people breed for good IVs. I've also heard somewhere that Serebii's may have bugs but whatever.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
You have to walk around a bit, and then fight a few battles. Just beat up some wild pokemon and wander around. If you repeat this, it shouldn't take too long for your entire party to receive the wonderful virus known as Pokerus.

T-major

Smash Champion
question: is there a maximum total limit to how many EV's you can have on one Pokemon? like, can I have 252 EV's in every stat? or would I have to divide the 252 EV's among all the stats?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Theres a maximum of 510 evs you can put on 1 pokemon. So you cant have 252 in every stat, only 2. I wouldnt advise you to spread all your evs equally through your stats as some pokemon wont benfit alot by putting certain evs in a certain stat. Try finding out where you should put your evs.

T-major

Smash Champion
Theres a maximum of 510 evs you can put on 1 pokemon. So you cant have 252 in every stat, only 2. I wouldnt advise you to spread all your evs equally through your stats as some pokemon wont benfit alot by putting certain evs in a certain stat. Try finding out where you should put your evs.
alright, thats good. 252 alone doesn't seem like enough. thanks for clearing that up.

was that in the guide, and I just missed it? if not, then it should be added, because thats kind of important, I think.

and yeah, I meant divide them up to make the best use of them.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
alright, thats good. 252 alone doesn't seem like enough. thanks for clearing that up.

was that in the guide, and I just missed it? if not, then it should be added, because thats kind of important, I think.

and yeah, I meant divide them up to make the best use of them.
Make sure it's the right nature too, when picking where to put the EVs.

For instance, don't put any EVs onto Attack if your pokemon is Modest, because Modest Pokemon are "+Special Attack, -Attack" with each level, so that would be a complete waste of time. For Attack, your best bet would be an Adamant Pokemon, as that's "+Attack, -Special Attack."

Click the below link for more information:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nature

T-major

Smash Champion
when u say put ur pokemon in daycare i thought it wont be as strong as it would be if u trained it regualy?
they mean put it in there until it's at a level that would allow it to defeat Pokemon that would give it EV points. you can't expect to battle using a lv.1 Pokemon do you? ;)

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
Excellent guide!

Okay, so I think I'm going to start a team soon and was wondering if these pokemon would be good choices; also could someone supply some good movesets and EVs for each as well?

Thanks!

Lucario (sweeper)
Blissey (sp wall)
Steelix (ph wall)
Dusknoir (tank)
Ninjask (baton passer)
Snorlax (??)

I think with snorlax I would do something like Rest, Sleeptalk, earthquake, body slam, just wondering if that would fit well with the rest of the team.

Also, can the move Wish be used on other pokemon, or does it just heal the pokemon that used it?

thanks again!

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
Excellent guide!

Okay, so I think I'm going to start a team soon and was wondering if these pokemon would be good choices; also could someone supply some good movesets and EVs for each as well?

Thanks!

Lucario (sweeper)
Blissey (sp wall)
Steelix (ph wall)
Dusknoir (tank)
Ninjask (baton passer)
Snorlax (??)

I think with snorlax I would do something like Rest, Sleeptalk, earthquake, body slam, just wondering if that would fit well with the rest of the team.

Also, can the move Wish be used on other pokemon, or does it just heal the pokemon that used it?

thanks again!
I've used Ninjask, Lucario, and Snorlax, quite frequently, in the past.

MY Lucario:

Modest

252 Special Attack
252 Speed
6 HP

@ Choice Scarf

- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Dragon Pulse

Choice Scarf multiplies speed by 1.5 times, but limits you to only using the same move, unless you switch out and switch back in. The attacks cover every single pokemon type.

MY Ninjask:

Jolly

125 Speed
125 Defense
252 Special Defense
8 HP

@ Leftovers

- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- X-scissor

Having high special defense has saved my Ninjask at least once, from an opponent's Ice Shard. Protect first, unless you're really sure that you're opponent will switch out, which in that case, substitute. Protect and substitute over and over again, while you gain speed, and then baton pass. X-scissor is to help you in case an opponent won't let you switch out, or if Ninjask is your last guy left. It's always good to have at least ONE offensive move per pokemon. The leftovers, obviously, are too give back some HP after using substitute.

MY Snorlax:

Impish

252 Defense
252 HP
6 Special Defense

@ Chesto Berry

- Belly Drum
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Body Slam

Use Belly Drum, followed by Rest. If you have a Ninjask, maybe Baton Pass the speed boost onto Snorlax. After using Rest, then the Chesto berry will wake it up. After that, you have max attack, and can attack with your full potential.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
Thanks alot radiation!

Also, does anyone mind donating a Blissey w/ luck incense and Snorlax w/ full incense for my breeding? Thanks!

Top Bottom