• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Into the Woods - The Sceptile Social

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807

Welcome to the Sceptile Sub-forum.

Talk about anything in this thread, whether it be things regarding this particular character, Pokkén in general, or anything else that comes to mind. This thread is your canvas.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Sceptile is a very fun character overall, but he has some things about him that bug me. I've noticed a lot of his moves require near-perfect spacing. Like having to be at a perfect distance for Giga Drain and having to be as close as possible to land his Midair X Jumping Attack. He's pretty fast all-around, but I feel that you should get more of a reward for landing all his plentiful perfect-spacing attacks.

Last edited:

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
I have heard that sceptile is somewhat like greninja.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
It's way too early to discuss tiers. Let's give the characters some time before we mindlessly start placing them.
I think he was joking.

But sceptile appears to have low damage output in exchange for long-ish combos and other stuff (he seems to be a fast dasher or something).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He's classified as a Speed character, but not so much for his raw mobility. Mainly his ability to suspend himself in the air, as well as his myriad ground traps make him a master of conditioning and mixups.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I think he was joking.

But sceptile appears to have low damage output in exchange for long-ish combos and other stuff (he seems to be a fast dasher or something).
I agree. I wish he had some more damage output though. I do think his Burst Mode is one of the better ones, though. The longer combos that come with it are very good, and his Burst Attack does quite a bit of damage as well as being easy to land.

He's classified as a Speed character, but not so much for his raw mobility. Mainly his ability to suspend himself in the air, as well as his myriad ground traps make him a master of conditioning and mixups.
Yeah, I'd say that's accurate. I'm still trying to find the best situations to use his ground traps and best applications for his suspension. They're pretty good, but still hard to land (for me at least) because they require perfect aim and spacing.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Just thought of a tough block string.

:GCX:-:GCDpad:(toward):GCRT:,:GCY:-:GCY:,:GCA:(cancel):GCA:,[insert further action] leaves you at a frame advantage I think.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I agree. I wish he had some more damage output though. I do think his Burst Mode is one of the better ones, though. The longer combos that come with it are very good, and his Burst Attack does quite a bit of damage as well as being easy to land.

Yeah, I'd say that's accurate. I'm still trying to find the best situations to use his ground traps and best applications for his suspension. They're pretty good, but still hard to land (for me at least) because they require perfect aim and spacing.
Eh, his ability to recover health from some of his moves helps mitigate not dealing as much damage. Plus he's the only character that can passively gain Synergy (via Growth in field phase). And his light anti-air is a nice quick way of lowering the opponent's defence.

I like to follow successful Bullet Seed hits with Leaf Storm myself.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
except Sceptile really does suck. Specific range combos, attacks are slow, VERY LACKING field phase (worst in the game?), the characters only saving grace is Leaf Blade > Dragonbreath

Then I've only played maybe 4 characters extensively and watched the rest of them play so maybe there's characters worse than him who knows (^:

T B H

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
except Sceptile really does suck. Specific range combos, attacks are slow, VERY LACKING field phase (worst in the game?), the characters only saving grace is Leaf Blade > Dragonbreath

Then I've only played maybe 4 characters extensively and watched the rest of them play so maybe there's characters worse than him who knows (^:

T B H
Sceptile actually isn't bad in the field phase, and he certainly doesn't suck. The specific range attacks are the main con for him. If you can land your hits, Sceptile's combos can actually whittle down an opponent's health rather quickly if you're consistent. Still, I think it's too early to start saying characters suck. All of them are pretty good if you ask me.

Anyways, let's get off the subject of what's bad about Sceptile, and focus on better aspects of him. Like his speed, combos, general attacks, Burst Mode, ect.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
The character's strong points are anti-air and setups and he has nothing else aside from that T B H

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
The character's strong points are anti-air and setups and he has nothing else aside from that T B H
His speed and several of his attacks are pretty damn good to, but his strongest features certainly are his anti-air and his setups. His Burst Mode is pretty good, too. Also "He has nothing else aside from that"? You're making it seem like he's the worst character in the game when the it was released yesterday.

Look, if you're just here to bash on the character, please don't. Just sayin'

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Sceptile's Up+X gives him tons of frame advantage, Forward A has tons of range and combos into Down A on critical hit, Down+Y has ton of range and is 0 on block, X creates interesting blockstrings, A canceling leads into nifty mix-ups, R dash in cancels lead into scary Situations in our favor and some other stuff in dual phase.

In field phase, we are the ones who need to be on the assault since we can't zone out anybody. Staying safe includes not continuing any combo strings on block, R canceling Y shurikens, and some other stuff.

I haven't tested some of the stuff I've said (most of the field phase stuff and one thing of the dual phase) socima get on that when I get home.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I wouldnt say hes the worse at all. Still need more time with the character. Field phase is actually better than you think.
Sceptile's Up+X gives him tons of frame advantage, Forward A has tons of range and combos into Down A on critical hit, Down+Y has ton of range and is 0 on block, X creates interesting blockstrings, A canceling leads into nifty mix-ups, R dash in cancels lead into scary Situations in our favor and some other stuff in dual phase.

In field phase, we are the ones who need to be on the assault since we can't zone out anybody. Staying safe includes not continuing any combo strings on block, R canceling Y shurikens, and some other stuff.

I haven't tested some of the stuff I've said (most of the field phase stuff and one thing of the dual phase) socima get on that when I get home.
Theres actually a way to deal with projectiles. I just need to get some matches up.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Counter attack I know that
Not that but yes. Razor leaf or his neutral weak goes through other projectiles and you can special cancel that into other specials, whether it be the jump weak or bullet seed. He can start putting everything out on the field and be annoying.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You can't say someone is the worst at field while ignoring Machamp.

Edit: I'd just like to point out that Sceptile is the only Pokemon that can directly hamper the opponent's Synergy with his absorption moves, and a question: is Forest's Flash unblockable? (plus in case anyone didn't notice it does more damage the closer you start it from).

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
btw this is the character I'm doing frame data for first, trying to figure out how best to format it but I've gotten a little bit of it so far.

11 frame grab kek

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I don't understand what your problem is. The game's barely been out and you're bashing my favorite Pokémon as if he's as bad as Zelda in Smash.
Kuro is observing each character.

The game might be a recent release, but that doesn't mean experts won't immediately look at each character and study their positives and negatives.

Plus, in my opinion, what's most important about a fighting game is trying to master a specific character no matter how viable they are.

Even if Sceptile does turn out to be worse than other Pokémon in the game, that's not going to stop me from using it.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Kuro is observing each character.

The game might be a recent release, but that doesn't mean experts won't immediately look at each character and study their positives and negatives.

Plus, in my opinion, what's most important about a fighting game is trying to master a specific character no matter how viable they are.

Even if Sceptile does turn out to be worse than other Pokémon in the game, that's not going to stop me from using it.
I'm just worried that if Sceptile isn't strong enough, then people will be discouraged from trying him and he won't get much exposure in tournaments. All I want is for him to at least be mid-tier.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Sceptile has a lot of options, but it still doesn't make him really good IMO. I agree with Kuro, Sceptile feels really low tier and honestly probably the worse character in the game.

That being said, I'm still going to main him because I like the challenge and I find his playstyle fun and he forces you to get crafty.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Let's try not to take "difficult and non-straightforward" as "unviable". He may feel awful at first, especially if you jump in without training, but once you learn the timings, controls and uses of his moves you'll fare much better. So try not to scare off potential players before we learn anything, alright?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I actually find Sceptile loads of fun. I still plan to main Weavile since Sneasel is one of my favorite Pokemon, but Sceptile might just work its way in as a secondary xD

His field phase Leaf Tornado thing reminds me a bit of Villager's lloid, it makes me sad that only the leaves that pop out flinch at the end, not the actual tornado :(

Also his grab range is longer than Blaziken's by around a full bar in the Neos City floor, I wonder if it's longer than most other character's.

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
The problem is that I feel that his unique quirks don't really make up for his weak damage output. Everyone else can commonly put a crap-load of damage on you. Sceptile can put on the hurt if you get them in a wall combo or use the poison anti-air into the grab, but that's pretty much it.

The compensation is supposed to be that he can heal himself and build steal Synergy, but the amount of health he recovers and the amount of Syngergy he gains isn't equal with the difference of amount of damage he does less compared to the rest of roster. I think his lower damage output and weak Field Phase would be fine if they just made his strengths more effective, rather than making his weakness stronger.

And btw when I say I think he's low tier or possibly the worse, I'm not saying he's bad or unviable. It's kind of like a Project M situation where pretty much the entire roster is solid. But SOMEONE has to be low-tier, and someone has to be the worse. Saying those things doesn't dismiss the characters strengths and viability, it's just all about putting him on a spectrum.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
The problem is that I feel that his unique quirks don't really make up for his weak damage output. Everyone else can commonly put a crap-load of damage on you. Sceptile can put on the hurt if you get them in a wall combo or use the poison anti-air into the grab, but that's pretty much it.

The compensation is supposed to be that he can heal himself and build steal Synergy, but the amount of health he recovers and the amount of Syngergy he gains isn't equal with the difference of amount of damage he does less compared to the rest of roster. I think his lower damage output and weak Field Phase would be fine if they just made his strengths more effective, rather than making his weakness stronger.

And btw when I say I think he's low tier or possibly the worse, I'm not saying he's bad or unviable. It's kind of like a Project M situation where pretty much the entire roster is solid. But SOMEONE has to be low-tier, and someone has to be the worse. Saying those things doesn't dismiss the characters strengths and viability, it's just all about putting him on a spectrum.
scpetile does alright damage actually. You just have to get those critical hits more.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
It seems like all the greninja mains are running to sceptile in this game. Looks about right?

Also, the game has been out for 3 days, chill.

:150:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
scpetile does alright damage actually. You just have to those critical hits more.
And also sweetspot that Leaf Blade.

It seems like all the greninja mains are running to sceptile in this game. Looks about right?

Also, the game has been out for 3 days, chill.

:150:
He's got the style and kind of the voice, though he's more of a Ryu Hayabusa or Shinobi-type ninja than Greninja's Strider-style.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
And also sweetspot that Leaf Blade.

He's got the style and kind of the voice, though he's more of a Ryu Hayabusa or Shinobi-type ninja than Greninja's Strider-style.
Critical hit Forward A combos into Down A during dual phase so that's not only a good amount of damage, but it also heals you too

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I agree with Kuro, Sceptile feels really low tier and honestly probably the worse character in the game.
How can you possibly say that? The game has only been out for three days and you're already making ridiculous assumptions like this? I think more time should pass until the meta develops for this game.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Essential moves (not listing the game
Mechanics):

Dual phase-
Y+Down
X
X+Up
Forward A
A

Field Phase-
Y+Up
A
Y
Y+side?

I have yet to implement the mid air R move into my game.

Top Bottom