• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Attacking from Shield!!!

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
This is about as useless a technique as you'll find on SWF, but I thought I'd share it because... well, I'm bored.

Okay, some of you are familiar with the concept of dropping through platforms while still in your shield. All you have to do is hold shield, then lightly press down. If you do it right, instead of directing your shield or spot dodging, you'll just drop through the platform. This is sometimes referred to as Isai Dropping--although that name is shared by a technique of walking forward then hitting down to drop through platforms quickly. I don't know the names, just the effect.

So you can drop through platforms out of your shield.

Another thing that many characters can do is cancel aerials on platforms. This is done by falling through the platform and then hitting an opponent with an air move immediately. The impact displaces you and puts you back on the platform, and you barely move anywhere at all. You can try this with moves like Falco's b-air, Shiek's n-air, or Link's n-air or u-air.

I theorize that you can combine these two techniques and cancel air attacks on a platform instantly out of your shield. All you have to do (hah!) is drop through the platform from your shield and then do an aerial that can be cancelled in the manner detailed above.

It should look like this:

You fall through the platform.
You do the aerial.
You hit your opponent.
You land on the platform again.

This technique will be officially known as the SPAC, for Shield Platform Aerial Cancel. After all, every technique in this game has to be called a "wave" or a "cancel."

This is stupidly hard, and I've only done it one time ever with Link's u-air. But it's pretty cool looking, if I do say so myself.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nice idea.

This will go in my "useless techcniques that will happen once in a blue moon that may win me a match" repertrar (sp?).

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Known for over 6 months. Completely impossible to do this with nair for Samus or either of the Links.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
I actually did this to Caveman in tournament.

My Sheik vs his Fox. It looked like I stood in place while doing an uair. He even died. Also I have no idea how I did it so well and have never been able to replicate it >_>.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Lol, thats tight...

Would it work with gannon or falcon, because then that > shieldgrabbing...

I would hate to hit someone's shield and then just shoot forwards to my doom..

Good re-find, and try to applicate it :)

Samochan

Smash Master
Imo, this would be perfect thing for Perfect Control 3 (if not for SuperDoodleMan calling it quits from videomaking ;_; ). I do not see much use for this whole SPAC tech, though individually you could have some success in using them, especially the Isai Drop.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Sweet, I didn't know Phanna was a member of this site *flips out, goes fanboy, slaps self*

Anyway, I've never seen this, maybe I'll try to see if it will work with any of my mains [although I doubt I will, since you said it's so hard and only works with certain characters].

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
OMG

And if you're in your shield and press up then you can instantly do an aerial out of your shield also! Anywhere, any stage! No platforms necassary!

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Durr are you mean to tell me it are possible to be jump from shield? I is astounded behwlehglrgle. You kids and your silly sarcasm. But you do bring up a good point, which is why you'd bother doing this instead of a normal aerial, or any of your other options.

Actually though, if you cut out the whole aerial platform cancelling and just do the shield drop into an aerial, you could use this as a way to place yourself in a more advantageous situation. Rather than having to jump out of your shield with an aerial, you'd fall through the platform with one and be beneath your opponent where--presumably--you'd have the advantage. I'd see Marth taking advantage of that, but the hard part of this is why you wouldn't just shieldgrab. Or, more importantly, how would doing this technique even be safe. For the sake of argument, if you were Marth and somebody attacked your shield while you were on a platform and landed right next to you, why would you pick this option?

If you knew they weren't going to jab, do another aerial, grab, or anything else that would beat you to the punch, as it were. I just wish somebody could nab a little frame data on this; i.e., how long it takes to fall through a platform from your shield. If this was potentially faster than shield grabbing, then it might actually have more application than I initially thought, even if you aren't actively trying to do the aerial cancel.

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
If you are on a platform on something like Battlefield and tried shieldgrabbing, they could use the other platforms to get away from any combos or techchasing you might try. And if they are pressuring your shield, you could drop down and f-air or u-air, knocking them away and above you, and possibly having some combo potential, I think.

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
This looks much cooler than jumping out of shield. And I'm pretty sure it's faster since you spend hardly any time in the air.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
HAHA, best comment ever right there ^^

yea...sounds pretty useless to me since it's insanely hard to pull off

HylianLord

Smash Ace
as for platform canceling from a shield, i think its a really really bad idea >< its really easy to get hit by a jab or something. not only that but the shieldstun might cause you to mess up the timing, which might cause you to spot dodge or just not do anything at all. if anything, predict the jab and crouch cancel and then after the jab ends drop and fair or w/e, but i think it's much better just to run away xD

on a side note, a really really cool setup you can do with falco is dair -> bair (might have to turn around) -> w/e aerial on a platform at low %. dair stuns, bair hits and if they don't go anywhere you can hit with another aerial! i accidentally did this on a friend... omggg i i wasn't recording ><

Top Bottom