• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squid Inkopolis Plaza – Squid Social

Inklings for Smash?

• Total voters

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Whether Inkling is played or not in tournaments makes no difference for me. I suppose I am the weird one out.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
They did? Nice.

The recent roller nerf seems pretty harmless in the long run as well. Excited to see where they end up in the future!
Just FYI, Genesis 6 was using the previous patch (2.0 came after the 2 week ruleset lock-in date, which is standard for large scale tournaments)

Not to say anything of/undermine Cosmos' amazing showing. Really hope they get voted in to attend Smash Ultimate Summit.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Watching Cosmos at Genesis was so damn fun! I was rooting for him the whole way. Sad to see the SD ;w;

I really hope he sticks with inkling and takes the character to an even higher level. Can't wait to see him place at Frostbite!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Just FYI, Genesis 6 was using the previous patch (2.0 came after the 2 week ruleset lock-in date, which is standard for large scale tournaments)

Not to say anything of/undermine Cosmos' amazing showing. Really hope they get voted in to attend Smash Ultimate Summit.
Just as an update, Cosmos did get voted in to attend Summit.

They'll also be at Frostbite this weekend, along with Abadango (both are on the respective USA vs JP crew battle teams)

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Cosmos did amazing. Love watching him play.

He didn't win but he didn't have to. He still got top 6 and I think he can only improve from here.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Saying they "fell apart" isn't giving any of the players proper credit at all.

Cosmos lost to Tweek (who went on to win Winner's and then Grand Finals very convincingly) after managing on getting Tweek to game 5/ to switch off of Wolf.

They then lost to Shuton, who was on a massacre and beat Ryuga, Nairo and Tea in top 16 (not to mention Shuton's amazing showing in the NA vs JP crew battle, beating VoiD (1 stock left)/MKLeo/Ally before finally taking 2 stocks/falling to Light).

Cosmos also held his own against a lot of Japan's heavy hitters (Gackt/Kameme in the crew battle, beating Lea and Abadango in singles) and also beat Muteace.

Aba also did pretty well (even if he was playing more MK/Wario than Inkling), just barely losing a last stock/last hit situation in game 5 against Marss in top 32.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I Love Watching Him Play but i guess i just didn't like how his night ended on getting swept by Olimar

Just like i didn't like how his Night at Genesis ended on An SD

I'm not taking anything away from him

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, I thought earlier about how between the bunch of weapons that didn't get used in Smash, the sisters' popularity being enough to get them in Mario Maker as mystery suits, and the fact that Callie's been in a straight-up boss fight in SP2, I think the Squid Sisters will be a near-lock for the next Smash.

As such, I'm not worried about their AT most likely not getting upgraded.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
So, I thought earlier about how between the bunch of weapons that didn't get used in Smash, the sisters' popularity being enough to get them in Mario Maker as mystery suits, and the fact that Callie's been in a straight-up boss fight in SP2, I think the Squid Sisters will be a near-lock for the next Smash.

As such, I'm not worried about their AT most likely not getting upgraded.
Yeah I think the Squid Sisters will probably end up being playable in the next Smash. I could honestly see Splatoon having 3 reps in the next Smash if the series is still as popular.
Inkling
Octoling(Echo Fighter?)
Squid Sisters or DJ Octavio

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For Splatoon 2, how's the Octoling DLC? I'm uncertain about trying it; I've heard it's supposed to be much harder than the base game, and I found some of the platforming segments in the base game to be downright frustrating. (the game's engine was not made for precision platforming)

D

Deleted member

For Splatoon 2, how's the Octoling DLC? I'm uncertain about trying it; I've heard it's supposed to be much harder than the base game, and I found some of the platforming segments in the base game to be downright frustrating. (the game's engine was not made for precision platforming)
I personally loved it, but then again, I loved the single player campaign as well. It is indeed a lot harder than the base singleplayer, but none of it is unbalanced or poorly designed IMO. The game's levels are short but sweet, with plenty of checkpoints offered to you. The EX bosses are all a delightful treat if you like superbosses (especially the one you get to fight after completing every level). It's design is a lot more cohesive and plays to the game's strengths and mechanics more, and there isn't nearly as much precision platforming (some levels have it, but like I said they're better designed for the game's mechanics IMO). However, as I said above, it is hard. Levels like Girl Power Station and the 8-Ball levels are going to definitely test your skills and require trial and error, so if you're not into that as much, you may want to pass on it, as Octo Expansion was definitely designed for those who have a deeper understanding of the game's core mechanics or for those who are willing to have the game teach them some of the more advanced techniques (especially the levels that give you ink restrictions or require you to not get hit by enemy ink).

The game does give you the option to skip whatever levels you don't like, though, so it's not as merciless as say, a Souls game. However, it definitely is a challenge. TBH, Octo Expansion is pretty much just a super enhanced challenge mode, so it depends on if you like that kind of game design or not.

Hope this helps. If you'd like to know more about it, feel free to ask; Octo Expansion is in my top 10 games of all time, so I'd be happy to answer any and all questions about it or give my thoughts on it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Late response, but, having just beaten it myself this evening, well worth 20 bucks. A real challenge, both in the main levels and the ending areas. Good bosses, if somewhat frustrating at times. But if nothing else, it's worth it solely for that final boss. Any Splatoon fan will LOVE it.

As for Smash, as much fun as I have with Joker, I just can't stop loving Inkling. By far my favorite character in the game, and favorite newcomer of the bunch. Maybe that's just because I love love love Splatoon as a franchise (even if I don't play it as much as I'd like to), but Inkling just provides a fresh new take on Smash that reinvigorated my love of the series even more.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
are there any spreadsheets or other resources for up throw -> up air percents?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I'm starting to think Cosmos is the one true inkling pro much like how Devvystar is the only isabelle player you can find consistent tournament footage of these days

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to think Cosmos is the one true inkling pro much like how Devvystar is the only isabelle player you can find consistent tournament footage of these days
The low usage rate is definitely odd given how good they are. It honestly really surprises me that I don't hear about more Inkling players outside of Cosmos.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
like i have no idea why cosmos is the only pro inkling player it's sad honestly......and is depressing to see fans for one character heavily rooting for one person because when they are eliminated that means the character is eliminated...always

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Splatoon 3: Inkopolis has plunged into anarchy, and the new hub world is Inkopolis Wasteland
Honestly, I doubt it'll be "Mad Max". The majority of the Inkling culture is more "Jet Set Radio" in style. If they went with "Mad Max" it'd lose the soul of Splatoon. Most likely the Hub world would still be much the same. However, in the Story area; it'd be more broken/fractured. Maybe the Salmonids return in a big way countless of Chaos or Order. But their goals differ depending on which wins. Who knows.

I just had an interesting thought regarding this Splatfest.

I'm thinking it doesn't just effect some areas like the Story and HUB world but also the theme of the next presenters/idols.

I'm thinking that if Chaos wins we could see a Punk Rock band and if Order wins we could see the band being Techno. What do you guys think?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The winner of the final Splatfest was officially announced:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Here's hoping we get some Mad Max inspired weapons/equipment in Splatoon 3 - I want an inkthrower guitar!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm not sure how "breaking into new musical genres" would somehow result with everything going to poo. Also, I fear for Marina's well-being if she winds up jacked by Octavio while Pearl goes on a solo career,
Next game will feature a team-up between Octavio and the Salmonids (they already have agreements to share technology, check out that Grizzco manual) due to Spicy Calamari Inkantation causing even more mass desertion among the Octarians, and a DLC campaign featuring Callie & Marie accompanying a newly discovered, rogue Salmoling, mark my words.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
GG to Team Chaos!

We'll bring Order to Splatoon 3! For Order!

(On another note: I think "Salmonlings" might become a thing. It might even have to do with Grizzco. I mean, why does he want those Salmonids Eggs?)

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I Just hope we don't have to wait for the launch of another system before splatoon 3 becomes a reality....(i know the crew has to work on AC New Horizons but This is probably Nintendo's Best New IP and it would suck if it just vanished until the next system)

it was fine for S1 because the wii-u was such a flop that by the time it concluded it's splatfests Splatoon 2 was a year away but on this side the switch is still young and more of a success than the wii-u so it's unlikely we'll see such a drastic flip over to a fresh start happen to the switch

BigMac1304

Smash Apprentice
Yuck no. Salmonlings? Oh gosh. Anyway... I don't think Splatoon 3 will come until at least 2022.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I love the idea of more playable ummm.... "races"? Salmonlings would be far more different than Inklings or Octolings. They don't have squid/octopus like features so, they'd stand out more.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I love the idea of more playable ummm.... "races"? Salmonlings would be far more different hat Inklings or Octolings. They don't have squid/octopus like features so, they'd stand out more.
Now you're making me wonder how the next idol duo could be like (aside from being conveniently more humanoid looking than regular adult males). One could bring up the topic of wanting to be hitched at least once per Splatfest.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I think it would be really cool if Story Mode added characters that cool be recruited into your own Splatoon. Imagine during certain missions we meet new characters who request us to let's say grab them a Roller and defeat 25 enemies or clear the area to "show them how it's done" before they join. Certain missions could even have them on the field splatting enemies similar to Turf Wars.

In the HUB world you could talk to them and even do favors that would allow them to upgrade and become more useful. You could turn "recruits" into real fighters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Alright, this might not be relevant, but the way the 2020 wish message was done got people talking:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...w_year_message_appears_to_tease_something_new

What says you all about this?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Salmonids have lore and everything, which just makes them the logical next step after Octolings.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I wonder if the reason Mr. Grizz is collecting those eggs is to make his own army. Making them humanoid like Inklings and Octolings.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
How do you improve Splatoon's already killer (wail) soundtrack?

Make it some ****in' SMOOTH Jazz on saxophone. Though I guess this technically would be closer to Jazz Fusion but who cares this slaps

(Little known fact about me: Jazz is my favorite genre of music.)

Considering how much I already adore Splatoon's music, this arrangement is like God himself is touching my ears.

I was not ready to enter heaven.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well, squids, today is the second anniversary of a most important moment.

The day that our kids came in Smash, in a time when nobody suspected the game would be coming, in the most unexpected way. :ultinkling::ultinklingboy:
I remember when the Inklings were one of the most requested characters in the community. A lot of people seems to have forgotten this.

Top Bottom