• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Octolings as clones/semi-clones would be really cool-- there's so many different weapons in Splatoon that they could probably even do 2 completely different movesets (or at least a Mario/Luigi in Smash 4 type of thing).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Glad to see the idea of Octolings as semi/clones is being more accepted, unlike the first time I mentioned it here. They are too cool to be only alts, plus the Inklings have SO much potential for cool alts, that Octolings occupying one or two alt slots wouldn't be nice.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I hope if Inklings make it in they get different skin tones too. First black person in Smash :p

Reila

I hope if Inklings make it in they get different skin tones too. First black person in Smash :p
Ganondorf is dark skinned. Olimar had a dark skin alt in Brawl, but I wouldn't count it tbh. Nways, I am expecting alts with different skin tones, too. After all, customization is a big part of Splatoon.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
According to the wiki the online colors are magenta, orange, yellow-orange, lime green, emerald, turquoise, blue, purple, red-orange, and sky blue, plus I'm pretty sure Splatfests have their own unique colors. And Smash doesn't exactly shy away from creating its own unique color variations either so I'm sure there'd be enough to go around.

If they didn't make the Octoling a separate character I'd still like to see it (her? them?) as an alt for the Inking; maybe a Wireframe Mac type deal where there's 8 Inklings and 8 Octolings?

Morbi

Scavenger
According to the wiki the online colors are magenta, orange, yellow-orange, lime green, emerald, turquoise, blue, purple, red-orange, and sky blue, plus I'm pretty sure Splatfests have their own unique colors. And Smash doesn't exactly shy away from creating its own unique color variations either so I'm sure there'd be enough to go around.

If they didn't make the Octoling a separate character I'd still like to see it (her? them?) as an alt for the Inking; maybe a Wireframe Mac type deal where there's 8 Inklings and 8 Octolings?
The real problem is the opposite. There are too many colors to go around!

I actually prefer that idea, the Octolings being semi-clones idea is okay for the next Smash game, but for the time being, I would prefer the Wireframe treatment.

Reila

Better than nothing, I guess. The issue, as I mentioned earlier, is that Octolings being an alt more or less kill their chances of being clones in the future.

Morbi

Scavenger
Better than nothing, I guess. The issue, as I mentioned earlier, is that Octolings being an alt more or less kill their chances of being clones in the future.
Not necessarily, we have seen the Dark Pit alternative from Brawl become a clone (perhaps not the greatest example as Dark Pit was not his own entity at that point in time; however, there is precedent in favor of the notion regardless).

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
The way I see the Octolings working is like this: (making them a semi-clone of my moveset ofc)

They're a more aggressive version of the Inkling. Whereas the Inkling focuses on claiming turf and maintaining it, the Octoling's shorter-lasting ink is more of a short-term tool, laid down for an immediate purpose. The Octoling might, for example, have a move that quickly lays down a trail of ink, which helps for approaching but disappears quickly, so it must be placed down again to approach again. They have a more aggressive playstyle, and are stronger but less agile -- both in and out of octopus form. Squid lag canceling (a technique of the Inkling's where ending lag can be canceled into a squid dive in claimed territory) is still present, now under the name of octopus lag canceling, and is used almost exclusively for combos. The ranged game isn't nearly as good as the Inkling's, so up close fighting is a focus.

As for specific moves, Neutral Special is the Octoshot. It functions much like a Falco laser, with similar lag and speed. The projectile creates ink as it travels (unless used in midair), and causes flinching. Great for setting up approaches, but is punishable unless used at a distance, and isn't good for camping either.

Side Special is the Octobrush, which is quicker than the Inkling's Splat Roller but leaves a thinner (less durable) trail of ink. It knocks opponents upwards instead of dragging them along and dealing multiple hits, great for comboing, although it lacks the Splat Roller's meteor smash when the button is tapped in favor of the rapid swings.

Up Special is the Super Jump, which is similar to the Inkling's except it deals damage but travels less distance and can't be canceled into an aerial.

Down Special is the Splat Bomb, which functions much like the Inkling's. It can't be detonated at will though, in exchange for more power. Comboing into it is, ergo, trickier but more rewarding.

Other attacks inklude martial arts, the turrets from some Octotroopers, and the Ink Mine as well as attacks with the Octobrush.

Lemme know what y'all th-ink! :)

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I hope at the very least we get 8 Girl alts and 8 Boy alts for Inkling. I always thought it was weird how Robin, Villager and WFT only got 4 alts per gender, but Little Mac managed to get away with 16.

For the record, I'm perfectly fine with Octoling as a semi-clone character.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I hope at the very least we get 8 Girl alts and 8 Boy alts for Inkling. I always thought it was weird how Robin, Villager and WFT only got 4 alts per gender, but Little Mac managed to get away with 16.

For the record, I'm perfectly fine with Octoling as a semi-clone character.
That would be for the best; however, it is somewhat doubtful just because, as you said, the other gender-swap characters do not have that luxury. Albeit, Inklings would hypothetically be DLC characters and color play is much more important to them than it is for, say, Robin or Wii Fit Trainer. So I would not be surprised to see Sakurai put in a little bit of extra work to stay faithful to the concept of Inklings.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
If Inklings do get into smash do you think he would operate a little like Snake used to except with more mobility? Because a lot of the proposed move sets a very Snake-esque where depending on the move a weapon is pulled out of nowhere and used.

I was thinking that it might be simpler/better to execute if they created a character with a primary weapon the Inkling would use for most of his attacks (with a few exceptions, like maybe the Charger for neutral B). For example, in my image of Inklings in smash the Inkling wields an Inkbrush, which he/she uses for the majority of his A button attacks. Then for his B attacks (his specials) he would use different weapons.

Plus an Octoling alt where he/she gets an Octobrush instead ;P

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
The way I see the Octolings working is like this: (making them a semi-clone of my moveset ofc)

They're a more aggressive version of the Inkling. Whereas the Inkling focuses on claiming turf and maintaining it, the Octoling's shorter-lasting ink is more of a short-term tool, laid down for an immediate purpose. The Octoling might, for example, have a move that quickly lays down a trail of ink, which helps for approaching but disappears quickly, so it must be placed down again to approach again. They have a more aggressive playstyle, and are stronger but less agile -- both in and out of octopus form. Squid lag canceling (a technique of the Inkling's where ending lag can be canceled into a squid dive in claimed territory) is still present, now under the name of octopus lag canceling, and is used almost exclusively for combos. The ranged game isn't nearly as good as the Inkling's, so up close fighting is a focus.

As for specific moves, Neutral Special is the Octoshot. It functions much like a Falco laser, with similar lag and speed. The projectile creates ink as it travels (unless used in midair), and causes flinching. Great for setting up approaches, but is punishable unless used at a distance, and isn't good for camping either.

Side Special is the Octobrush, which is quicker than the Inkling's Splat Roller but leaves a thinner (less durable) trail of ink. It knocks opponents upwards instead of dragging them along and dealing multiple hits, great for comboing, although it lacks the Splat Roller's meteor smash when the button is tapped in favor of the rapid swings.

Up Special is the Super Jump, which is similar to the Inkling's except it deals damage but travels less distance and can't be canceled into an aerial.

Down Special is the Splat Bomb, which functions much like the Inkling's. It can't be detonated at will though, in exchange for more power. Comboing into it is, ergo, trickier but more rewarding.

Other attacks inklude martial arts, the turrets from some Octotroopers, and the Ink Mine as well as attacks with the Octobrush.

Lemme know what y'all th-ink! :)
What would their Final Smash be? The rain maker?

Reila

Maybe they can D-d-d-drop the Sea Bass and call in the Final Boss' Ink Nuke thing that you have to use against him.
What if DJ Octavio is a stage hazard as obnoxious as Ridley instead tho

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Honestly, focus on Inklings for Smash as of now. If they get added, then you can speculate on the Octolings or whoever

Reila

Honestly, focus on Inklings for Smash as of now. If they get added, then you can speculate on the Octolings or whoever
Don't tell me what to do.

Inklings are already a lock, they will get in Smash either as DLC or in the next game. So I will dream about Octolings being introduced as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
I sort of wish that Callie and Marie were the characters that everyone wanted. I feel as though they, obviously, have more personality than the generic Inklings. But, it is a Nintendo IP, so we can only focus on the main, playable characters.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Um... Munomario777 Munomario777 , I just noticed I'm not on the supporters list. This confuses me, considering I've supported them for quite a while now....

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Add me to the supporters list, if you will. I adore Splatoon and the Inklings make a lot of sense to make it in, and after seeing GX's recent video on the topic and reading in here a little bit, I'd love to see them. I especially like the idea of adding some Snake-esque moves to the mix, essentially killing two birds with one stone!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Add me to the supporters list, if you will. I adore Splatoon and the Inklings make a lot of sense to make it in, and after seeing GX's recent video on the topic and reading in here a little bit, I'd love to see them. I especially like the idea of adding some Snake-esque moves to the mix, essentially killing two birds with one stone!
Sure thing! By the way, have you by chance checked out my moveset? It's l-inked in the OP, and I feel it really demonstrates what these guys are capable of.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
The more I think about it the more I really want them in. Splatoon is one of my favorite new games and I really want Nintendo to start better incorporating it into their IP family (Smash being a great start).

For a final smash pretty much any of the special weapons could work, like the Ink Strike, Kraken, Killer Wail, or Inkzooka.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I really do hope that Inklings make it through the ballot. I know people keep saying they're a shoe in for the next Smash game, but remember, there's a period of roughly 7-8 years in between every Smash game (that's the bigger part of a decade). Will Splatoon be as hype as it is now? Will people still be excited with the would be sequel Spla-two-n? I really love the game, but I don't think the hype for Splatoon will ever be as high as it is now.

Basically, I want my Splatoon dlc.

Btw wait for my Inkling moveset, if I have time later I'd like to make one c:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I am also hoping for the Inklings sooner rather than later. I would rather not wait 6-8 years for the next Smash.

So, I'm sure of you may have caught wind of the rumors recently? I'm trying not to get myself hyped up for no reason, but supposably we'll have news of a new Smash character soon. And a lot of people have been pointing towards the Inkings being a prime candidate. What do you folks think?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I am also hoping for the Inklings sooner rather than later. I would rather not wait 6-8 years for the next Smash.

So, I'm sure of you may have caught wind of the rumors recently? I'm trying not to get myself hyped up for no reason, but supposably we'll have news of a new Smash character soon. And a lot of people have been pointing towards the Inkings being a prime candidate. What do you folks think?
I've heard about that, the Wolf thread has been discussing it too (probably because Stealth was being a royal prat about Wolf). I'm taking it with a grain of salt, since past rumors have taught me to be skeptical until proven otherwise. But I *hope* it's true. Because judging by the info provided, Inkling is definitely a good bet that fits the description.

Edit: If this rumor IS true and we ARE getting Inkling, that would be the best belated birthday present Sakurai could possibly give me xD

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Also, I'm pretty sure Sakurai has developed each Smash game like it would be the last one since Melee. He seems pretty set on this being the last one (whether or not it is is up for debate), so I don't see why he'd hold off on these characters because they would be "better suited" for Smash 5.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So the rumour seems to be implicating the Inklings as newcomers... That would be perfectly fine with me, given they fit the supposed criteria. But I'll wait and see if we get any more news from Nintendo regarding them and Smash 4.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, concerning Blue's poll, I was kinda disappointed that Isaac is no longer the no. 1 unrepresented Nintendo franchise character among the Western Smash fanbase, though the Inklings are certainly worthy of being number 1.

Reila

Also, I'm pretty sure Sakurai has developed each Smash game like it would be the last one since Melee. He seems pretty set on this being the last one (whether or not it is is up for debate), so I don't see why he'd hold off on these characters because they would be "better suited" for Smash 5.
We don't even know if Smash 5 will be a thing, after all. Let's be honest, there's no reason for Nintendo to develop a brand new Smash game, when they can, instead, keep updating Smash 4 (probably a port of Smash 4 for the NX) with more characters, stages, modes (maybe a story mode?), etc. Something like what Microsoft is doing with Killer Instinct and what Capcom will likely do with Street Fighter 5 as well. Anyways, my point is that the "Inklings would be better held off until Smash 5" argument is a bit flawed since, at the moment, we don't know if they will ever make a Smash 5.

Top Bottom