• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
My last vote went to Inklings:

"Splatoon's release was already a couple of months ago and in that time the game's popularity has exploded with over a million of sales.

Inklings, the main characters, try to claim as much turf as possible with their ink, as it gives certain advantages to them.
In Smash Bros., this can translate to a fighter that lays down their ink to keep enemies at bay and improve their own capabilities.

Splatoon also has a character that could serve as a model swap fighter, Cap'n Cuttlefish!
Cap'n Cuttlefish uses his cane as a Charger-weapon, which means longer range, but less ink spread!"

Yes I spend half of my vote for Captain Cuttlefish.
Don't Judd-ge me.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Splatoon also has a character that could serve as a model swap fighter, Cap'n Cuttlefish!
Cap'n Cuttlefish uses his cane as a Charger-weapon, which means longer range, but less ink spread!"
Wouldn't his cane be the Bamboozler? That would be a weapon that fires shorter than the charger but more quick charge up time. Although, it wouldn't be the first time Smash didn't stick to an idea...

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
Wouldn't his cane be the Bamboozler? That would be a weapon that fires shorter than the charger but more quick charge up time. Although, it wouldn't be the first time Smash didn't stick to an idea...
Lets get it right.

everything is Sakurai's fault.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Where are the puns in the thread title?

On a semi related note, I tried Octopus... I mean octolings for the first time last night. Wasn't really a fan.

Anyways, I think we may hear something about the ballot or future DLC toward the end of October.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
The wait for this is going to be killer...I already have trouble waiting for any type of new Smash DLC.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Where are the puns in the thread title?

On a semi related note, I tried Octopus... I mean octolings for the first time last night. Wasn't really a fan.

Anyways, I think we may hear something about the ballot or future DLC toward the end of October.
Um, how did you try them? Were they added officially?

I really hope either Inklings or Shovel Knight are DLC. As worried as I am that Inklings won't live up to their potential if forced in as DLC, I want them now.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Um, how did you try them? Were they added officially?

I really hope either Inklings or Shovel Knight are DLC. As worried as I am that Inklings won't live up to their potential if forced in as DLC, I want them now.
It was at an authentic Japanese restaurant in NYC. They were served on their own with some sauce. I found them to be too chewy. Everyone else loved them though.

There. Better? :p
Yay!

I think they are talking about food. :)
Haha. Yeah, I was. Sorry for randomly derailing the conversation with my food talk.

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
Hey guy's it's been awhile. I just wanted to say that this has been a good thread and even if inkling doesn't get in, we'll still have memories of this thread :)

Also did you guys notice that the ballot site is still up, do the votes still count?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Hey guy's it's been awhile. I just wanted to say that this has been a good thread and even if inkling doesn't get in, we'll still have memories of this thread :)

Also did you guys notice that the ballot site is still up, do the votes still count?
I think that's the question that's on a lot of people's minds. Either they're waiting to close it (why, I have no idea) or they've stopped taking new votes. I've seen in other threads that the movies page is messed up for US viewers, saw it myself too. Not sure if that means anything, though it does indicate that someone was fidgeting with the American site for some reason.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
Really hoping for Inkling in Smash, I voted for them, but I think they're more likely Smash 6 characters since it's the first big Nintendo IP in quite a while. Yeah we got Wonderful 101, but Splatoon was quite a big success so I see it being a big deal for 6's advertising.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Really hoping for Inkling in Smash, I voted for them, but I think they're more likely Smash 6 characters since it's the first big Nintendo IP in quite a while. Yeah we got Wonderful 101, but Splatoon was quite a big success so I see it being a big deal for 6's advertising.
I agree that the inklings would be one of the biggest draws as newcomers in a new installment of smash.

There are also series like Yo Kai Watch that are huge in Japan and could possibly explode in the states when it arrives and headline ads for the next smash with a character. Chibi Robo is pulling a fire emblem awakening with the 3ds title. If it isn't successful, the series will be over. Success for chibi robo could mean more than just a continued franchise and lead to a spot on the newcomer list in the next smash. This one's more of a long shot but if the Bravely Default series continues to be a success then we could see a character like Agnes show up in smash. Complete opinions of course but those are some of the new series I see as potential candidates for newcomers in future smash games, among others I didn't name.

So my point being that while Inklings would be highly marketable for smash 5/6 depending on how you number the 3ds version, Nintendo still has some less popular franchises appealing to distinct audiences that could combine to reach a wider gamership. However, saving inklings would probably be a more effective approach to marketing.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
No, Level 5 does. Nintendo's publishing it outside of Japan, but that doesn't mean much; they published Sonic Lost World in some regions, for example.
Woops. Don't mind the uneducated Nintendo fan sitting in the corner. This isn't the right thread to start discussing Yo-Kai but I still think it could show up in smash if the game remains uber popular in Japan, performs fairly well in other regions and remains exclusive to Nintendo. This is years down the line of course.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I kinda would like to see Splatoon 3DS game... maybe it could work well... and we could play Splatoon on the go... but the single player mode is expanded since it's a portable game.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I kinda would like to see Splatoon 3DS game... maybe it could work well... and we could play Splatoon on the go... but the single player mode is expanded since it's a portable game.
It would be pretty cool to see a 2D take on the game, now that I think about it. (Mainly for single-player and such.)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I actually would like a portable 3D platformer like Super Mario 64 DS... with some exploring and collecting... in huge expansive worlds based on the original Splatoon maps... maybe complete episodes and collect Zapfish to get access to more worlds.

The hub world like Peach's Castle or Delfino Plaza would be Inkopolis... and you can go to different worlds from there.

Arowana Mall
Blackbelly Skatepark
Bluefin Depot
Camp Triggerfish
Flounder Heights
Hammerhead Bridge
Kelp Dome
Moray Towers
Octo Valley
Port Mackerel
Saltspray Rig
Urchin Underpass
Walleye Warehouse

It would be so awesome to truly explore those maps and not worry about the other team.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
*looks at title*
Maybe Ink-reasingly A-goo-nizing Wait would be better.

I'll take my leave.

:231:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Possible New 3DS exclusive since the system's extra power would be required for all of the Ink to appear and continue to run the game.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They would not release a big game like Splatoon exclusive to the New 3DS. That wouldn't be a smart business decision, considering most of the 3DS player base is on the "old" 3DS models. In fact, other than a Xenoblade port, the N3DS haven't got any meaningful exclusive releases and with the NX approaching (regardless of it being a console, a handheld or both, fact is Nintendo is likely focused on developing NX games atm), I don't think it ever will.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I actually do kinda want a Splatoon prequel for the New 3DS.
I would say for the normal 3DS, but I'm not sure if it'd be able to handle it.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I'm expecting the NX to eventually get two Splatoon games. One of them being essentially focused on the online multiplayer with new stages, customs, weapons and other stuff; and another one that basically takes the single player and expands it into a larger game (Be it sequel or prequel).

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm expecting the NX to eventually get two Splatoon games. One of them being essentially focused on the online multiplayer with new stages, customs, weapons and other stuff; and another one that basically takes the single player and expands it into a larger game (Be it sequel or prequel).
I could be wrong but I don't think Nintendo would take the approach of splitting Splatoon into two games focused entirely on Single player and multiplayer components. They'll probably just stick with one big game.

Also, hoping for a sequel.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Ah, my birthday is in an hour...too bad it seems that we won't be getting any new information. An Inkling reveal would have been a glorious gift xD

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
If the Inklings were in it'd probably just be 8 Ink colors (probably like orange, green, strawberry/red, light blue for the girl and dark blue, gold, purple, and pink for the boy or something) it'd be cool if it went one step further, maybe 3 girl, 3 boy, and 2 Octoling (since they're pretty much confirmed to be playable at this point, and if the Inkling DLC was announced around the same time as that update it would be nice cross-promotion).

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have more ink colors in Splatoon when it was being advertised?

Reila

If the Inklings were in it'd probably just be 8 Ink colors (probably like orange, green, strawberry/red, light blue for the girl and dark blue, gold, purple, and pink for the boy or something) it'd be cool if it went one step further, maybe 3 girl, 3 boy, and 2 Octoling (since they're pretty much confirmed to be playable at this point, and if the Inkling DLC was announced around the same time as that update it would be nice cross-promotion).
Octolings should be semi clones, not alts. Also, purple Inkling girl or riot.

Reila

Should be? Yes. Will be? Probably not.

----------

I'd rather have eight Inklings than six Inklings and two Octolings to be honest.
Hence why I said should, my dear. And I agree. If we have two Octolings as alts, the chances of they becoming clones someday will be really small.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wouldn't be surprised at all if come next clone, Octolings get in as a clone of Inkling. I mean, it makes perfect sense...considering they are mimicking Inklings.

I'd be hoping for it, personally.

Top Bottom