• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Graizen

Smash Champion
Sean Hicks from Smashified also knows who the next DLC character is.

https://twitter.com/SeanHicksART/status/653084779357839360

https://twitter.com/SeanHicksART/status/653233552511926272

Apparently he says that a "reliable source" told him about a new DLC character.The character is probably someone we'll be excited about when the announcement drops. He also posted 2 hints :

• 1: The character will be revealed this month.

• And 2: The character is not from the Ballot.
https://twitter.com/SeanHicksART/status/653234806793314304

He said he'll also share a link for a "big event" and said it'll all be kinda straight forward from there. Considering Stealth's hints, it means that the character Sean is talking about is first party.

https://twitter.com/Stealth___/status/653235773756600321

Stealth's reply pretty much shows that the hints are exactly the same as the ones he posted without the "Nintendo character" part.

Remember people: Be skeptical about this, it could pretty much be false, but if what they are posting on Twitter is true, then we might be surprised by something huge.

With that said, it's time to speculate.

My Opinion :
Big event with recognizable name
? Splatfest.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
We also have this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Sean is a part of the smashified team and is a big supporter of the Inkling so it pretty much confirmed to be honest. Everything can happen with smash though.
Exactly who is this "Sean" and "Smashified Team", and why would whatever he says confirm anything?

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
Exactly who is this "Sean" and "Smashified Team", and why would whatever he says confirm anything?
http://smashifiedart.com/

edit: Just so I won't make this a one word post, many people have mention that it made some "buzz from social media" and considering how there's a Splatoon tumblr page and being a massive push as it's being a new ip for the Wii U and doing like, crap ton of events related to Splatoon, I think it pretty safe to say it's going to be the Inkling.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
First, the rumor about a character that "makes sense" being confirmed in the next couple weeks.

Then there's the time it takes to develop a fighter (5-6 months) and Splatoon's release (4 months ago) lining up for a reveal this month (they'll probably reveal it before it's finished, like with Lucas).

And now these tweets, which not only line up with the other rumor, but also come from a credible enough source (being a large part of the community... then again, Rayman leak :p). Plus, the stage being bundled in inkdicates that it'll be a new franchise.

Taking this with a grain of salt as always, but also hyped as heck! Inkredibly excited for the reveal, whoever and whenever it may be. This warrants a new thread title.
Ooh, so he was talking about who gets smashified next!
I thought he was talking about who's becoming the next actual DLC character.
He said "the next Smash character," not "the next Smashified character." He also mentioned that it wasn't a ballot fighter, which wouldn't apply at all to Smashified.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I know Stealth. I wouldn't take him seriously. He's a troll.

Other people...seem legit.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I think the only thing that "Not a ballot character" means is that the character has been planned before the ballot had its results, or maybe even sooner than that. It doesn't necessarily mean the character isn't ON the ballot. For example, people were voting for Roy and Ryu before even knowing they were even planned from the start.

Though I'm probably stating the obvious.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
What sort of events could it be, that we know of?

Splat Fest and ND seem most likely. Might be something like Zelda: Symphony of the Goddess, I suppose, but that seems less likely.

So, I'd call that good Inkling odds

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
How reliable do these sources seem to you guys? I honestly don't know much about either person that tweeted (I know about smashified, but only about Omni to be honest).

If all of these hints are true then Inklings might actually be the most likely, but at the same time "first party" covers a pretty broad variety of characters. From what we've learned so far I can't think of anybody except for Inklings and King K. Rool. However, here's some food for thought. Supposedly it has been suggested that the new character "isn't affiliated with the Smash Ballot". If the Smash Ballot isn't being taken into consideration for this character then I doubt Nintendo would use a character like King K Rool who hasn't been a main character in a while. So, who does that leave us with ;) ?

I wouldn't keep my hopes up, as far as we know this could be a conspiracy to create the biggest online troll known to man. Better to keep your expectations low and get hyped when it happens.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
No proof so far, but Inkling does seem to fit the bill and is fairly likely anyways. Most of the most likely characters are ones I want so I'll likely be satisfied. More interested in when the reveal's coming.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Dropping in to join the discussion, I think inklings could be who they are hinting at( there's like 10 different sources currently). It would have ti be a generic direct, as game focused directs don't get smash reveals unless it's for smash. I do kind of hope inklings get it, but would love to see some massive content from splatoon brought it all at once, which would be better for next game. I'd still be very happy with them in this one though. I say just watch and see what sean retweets about then

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to keep hype levels down just incase it turns out to not be true.

I'm hoping it turns out to be true...

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
How reliable do these sources seem to you guys? I honestly don't know much about either person that tweeted (I know about smashified, but only about Omni to be honest).

If all of these hints are true then Inklings might actually be the most likely, but at the same time "first party" covers a pretty broad variety of characters. From what we've learned so far I can't think of anybody except for Inklings and King K. Rool. However, here's some food for thought. Supposedly it has been suggested that the new character "isn't affiliated with the Smash Ballot". If the Smash Ballot isn't being taken into consideration for this character then I doubt Nintendo would use a character like King K Rool who hasn't been a main character in a while. So, who does that leave us with ;) ?

I wouldn't keep my hopes up, as far as we know this could be a conspiracy to create the biggest online troll known to man. Better to keep your expectations low and get hyped when it happens.
I think they do know there's a character soon to be announced/who the character is. I also think many are jumping to conclusions when assuming they are referring to the Inklings, so as you, I am not keeping my hopes up. Yet.
I know Stealth. I wouldn't take him seriously. He's a troll.

Other people...seem legit.
I don't know him, but it's quite easy to realize he is a troll by checking his tweeter feed.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
While signs of upcoming smash news is all good and dandy during this information drought, I have to agree with Green Greens. We shouldn't get too inkcited..... yet.

I haven't played Splatoon in a while, wonder if they'll have any more big updates soon. I could see them doing something if the Inklings actually are announced as DLC for smash. Although all I can think of is a splatfest that would somehow involve a smash related topic.... Master Hand vs. Crazy Hand... That would be lame

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
While signs of upcoming smash news is all good and dandy during this information drought, I have to agree with Green Greens. We shouldn't get too inkcited..... yet.

I haven't played Splatoon in a while, wonder if they'll have any more big updates soon. I could see them doing something if the Inklings actually are announced as DLC for smash. Although all I can think of is a splatfest that would somehow involve a smash related topic.... Master Hand vs. Crazy Hand... That would be lame
That wouldn't be to bad of a theme. Maybe as a joke do fox vs fox, of course I am kidding. Maybe time or stock? Its hard to choose a truly amazing smash bros based splatfest.

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
Mario vs Link would be a pretty good one.

Anyway like others have said I'm trying not to get too excited, all these rumors are just rumors until we get some true confirmation.

Reila

Mario vs Link would be a pretty good one.

Anyway like others have said I'm trying not to get too excited, all these rumors are just rumors until we get some true confirmation.
Or Mario vs Zelda (as in the franchises, not the characters). #TeamMario here.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I don't know if I'd call Stealth a liar in this context. He's had reliable industry insider info in the past and I don't think he'd jeopardize his perception by talking about fake info to this extent, especially since he had to backpedal on his deleted tweet about who the characters weren't and that he didn't object to the MyNintendoNews article sourcing him for a lot of what was said.

At least three people I know personally to various extents (Sean included) seem to have found out about this "secret news" as well and I'm inclined to trust them if they know something is going down. I don't know what it is though, if there is some hidden secret to this I want to be surprised. That said, odds do look good for the squids. Here's hoping to some news. I'd hate for all this smoke to go out on a whimper, even if this is sketchy so far.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Reila

This is somewhat interesting, but we can't see the other two tweets, so how do we know it's legit?
We don't. For now we should keep expectations in check, as usual. :)

Even if what he says is legit, I will not believe Inklings are getting into Smash until they are announced. I know it is likely and it will eventually happen, but characters I want NEVER get into Smash. This might be a first for me. Must not get excited.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
We don't. For now we should keep expectations in check, as usual. :)

Even if what he says is legit, I will not believe Inklings are getting into Smash until they are announced. I know it is likely and it will eventually happen, but characters I want NEVER get into Smash. This might be a first for me. Must not get excited.
I see, I'm surprised no one saw the deleted tweets and screenshotted them. As for the inklings, if they aren't DLC, then they will definitely bring them in next game. Either way, I''d main them day one.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
It's tempting to board the hype train, but when we all calm down and think about it the only "evidence" we have so far is a bunch of tweets. After the whole Omni Rayman thing it'll take way more than a couple of tweets to convince me.

Reila

"DatPags" on reddit brings an interesting and rather obvious point:
DatPags said:
I feel like at this point, with everything that the people who supposedly know have said and how it all magically points to the Inklings, it can't possibly be them and they are trying to send us on the wrong path
Everyone here probably knows this already, but it is better to not raise expectations yet.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Everyone here probably knows this already, but it is better to not raise expectations yet.
It's possible, but honestly would be really pointless if they won't even name the character. We will have to wait and see though.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
As much as that's a real possibility I don't think anyone who's in the know of this has it in them to maintain a ruse cruise to this extent. People have legit gotten harassed over this entire debacle and if they're off point it'd be even worse on them. At this point I'm mostly worried about everyone. The Smash community is filled with nasty, vindictive people, which is to say nothing of the people on Reddit and GameFAQs who will never let you live it down.

At the end of the day the only thing I feel we need to remember is;

I would post the above image in every Smash DLC thread if I could.

Last edited:

Reila

I see, I'm surprised no one saw the deleted tweets and screenshotted them. .

There's another pick with him saying "**** wait", but I am sure some mod would warn for censor dodging or something if I posted it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

There's another pick with him saying "**** wait", but I am sure some mod would warn for censor dodging or something if I posted it.
Just saw these, the plot certainly thickens...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Don't know what to say on the matter, to add a planned costume and as a pre-ballot character and the whole Twitter matter confuses me to hell.
Now that you mention it, if this is real, that would mean the costume was truly pointless and inklings still got in pre ballot, which be really interesting and weird...

Reila

One could justify the costumes with Nintendo wanting to milk the Splatoon cow as much as they can. Maybe they learned a few lessons from Level-5, lol

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
One could justify the costumes with Nintendo wanting to milk the Splatoon cow as much as they can. Maybe learned a few lessons from Level-5, lol
This is true, perhaps when they saw it's positive response at E3 and launch they pushed sakurai to add them in.

Top Bottom