• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
That could definitely work. Although, if Splatoon itself can handle a whole 3D, expansive versus stage filled with ink -- with eight players and an internet connection, mind you -- I don't see why Smash on Wii U couldn't handle a 2D version of that on a much smaller scale. How I picture it working is, it stores the ink in small sizes on a 2D plane, and they're either "thick" or "thin," based on the attack that placed it down -- so the wide Splat Roller makes a thick trail of ink, whereas the thinner Inkbrush or a shooter weapon would create a thinner, less durable and effective trail. Then a similar system to Splatoon is used to render the 2D ink into a 3D splat graphic. Or they could just borrow the entire system from Splatoon. (It'd probably be better like that anyways, since A) it wouldn't be a flat graphic, inkstead able to slope, bend, etc with the terrain and B) it'd be able to be placed on walls.)

The only problem here would be the 3DS. If the above method doesn't work, then this could simply be a case of the 3DS and Wii U versions of a character being slightly different, and the system that Regice explained could be used inkstead.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I personally feel that the 3DS won't handle the ink movement mechanics that we suggest. It's been the cause of many cuts (characters and items) and mechanics (transformations) so seeing Ink spread throughout the entire stage might screw with the system. I'd love to be proven wrong though

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I personally feel that the 3DS won't handle the ink movement mechanics that we suggest. It's been the cause of many cuts (characters and items) and mechanics (transformations) so seeing Ink spread throughout the entire stage might screw with the system. I'd love to be proven wrong though
Just wanted to point out, again, that the 3DS isn't the only reason characters, items and mechanics were cut. People keep forgetting about the "8 Players Smash" mode from Smash Wii U, which is just as "guilty" as the 3DS version. At any rate, I agree that complicated ink mechanics will probably not happen.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Just wanted to point out, again, that the 3DS isn't the only reason characters, items and mechanics were cut. People keep forgetting about the "8 Players Smash" mode from Smash Wii U, which is just as "guilty" as the 3DS version. At any rate, I agree that complicated ink mechanics will probably not happen.
Splatoon has eight players, and it handles ink just fine -- on a much larger scale, I may add.

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
Splatoon also only has 2 colors at a time, smash would need to handle 8 different ink colors at once.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Splatoon is also a completely and entirely different genre of video game.
You're comparing Squids to Kids.
Fixed that for you.... oh wait a second...

I'm of the opinion that Sakurai won't put Inkling into the game if he can't get an ink mechanic to work in some fun and interesting way. So I'm optimistic that he'll come up with something good

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Splatoon is also a completely and entirely different genre of video game.
You're comparing apples to grapes.
I don't see how genres affect ink rendering systems. I'm not comparing apples to grapes, I'm comparing the way that one Wii U, eight-player game handles ink to the way that another Wii U, eight-player game could handle ink.
Splatoon also only has 2 colors at a time, smash would need to handle 8 different ink colors at once.
That's a valid point, although that may be made possible due to the fact that Smash only has two dimensions, thus making ink easier to inkplement. Ergo, more types of ink could be rendered at once. But I dunno.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
This probably wouldn't be the case, but what if Ink color pulled off what some of the characters have already in place? Like how Villager's balloons change based off player port?

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
This probably wouldn't be the case, but what if Ink color pulled off what some of the characters have already in place? Like how Villager's balloons change based off player port?
I think the issue here isn't getting the colors in the first place, but rather rendering so many different colors at once. In Splatoon, if you shoot orange ink at other orange ink, nothing happens. But if you shoot a different color of ink at the orange, then it gets added on top of the orange, and there's more ink for the game to process. In an eight player Inkling battle, that issue is present fourfold, with quadruple the number of ink colors; different colors of ink won't combine together, so there's more stuff that needs to get rendered. But as I said earlier, since the playing field in Smash is much smaller -- by virtue of being 2D instead of 3D, as well as the size of the average arena -- that may compensate for the extra ink colors.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't bringing it up as a solution to the problem, it was just a random thought I had.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
That probably has more to do with Octolings being playable, but if that's part of a direct it's a great time to announce playable Inklings in Smash!

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Hm, I'm starting to feel conflicted about this.

On one hand, I find the Twitter posts to be red herrings. As if they're trying to throw people off.

But a big update for Splatoon, with single player content? That could point to more credibility of an Inkling announcement for Smash.

This is inkredibly unbearable...

Reila

What did she say? I can't see it.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

But if you mean what she found in Splatoon, she datamined a few unreleased weapons (at the time of the post). She also claims the Octolings had more facial expressions and stuff added to them in some of the updates, plus she found a way of playing with Octolings in the online modes (she posted video footage on YouTube, but Nintendo suspiciously took down her videos). On top of that, as mentioned in the tweet above, Octoling icons were spotted in SplatNet. I guess these are the major reasons she speculated about a Nintendo Direct happening this week, though her wording makes it seems like she is sure about one happening this week.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman

But if you mean what she found in Splatoon, she datamined a few unreleased weapons (at the time of the post). She also claims the Octolings had more facial expressions and stuff added to them in some of the updates, plus she found a way of playing with Octolings in the online modes (she posted video footage on YouTube, but Nintendo suspiciously took down her videos). On top of that, as mentioned in the tweet above, Octoling icons were spotted in SplatNet. I guess these are the major reasons she speculated about a Nintendo Direct happening this week, though her wording makes it seems like she is sure about one happening this week.
Oh. A direct would be the perfect place to announce inklings in smash. Here's hoping. And octolings for October. Cool.

EDIT: wait... This Wednesday? As in today?

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Not only that, unlike
Oh. A direct would be the perfect place to announce inklings in smash. Here's hoping. And octolings for October. Cool.

EDIT: wait... This Wednesday? As in today?
Keep in mind that this is her own speculation based on stuff she data-mined from Splatoon. Her original prediction was for the direct to be today (which obviously isn't the case anymore).

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
late, but again, this was never confirmed. Also I really hope NWPlayer is right one of these days

Reila

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
You only need a functional brain to realize the Wii U wouldn't handle matches with 8 Ice Climbers (basically 16 characters) playing at the same time.
Pretty rude. If I recall correctly someone hacked their Melee to put 6 players and the Ice Climbers didn't have much issues on it. Regardless, they'd have to be changed up due to the 3DS version limiting their capabilities so the whole double AI thing would be scrapped anyway. I still won't believe this. I know the Wii U isn't the most powerful system, but I doubt its that weak either

I hope we get some news soon. Anything, as long as its not Shovel Knight

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
GUYS THIS TOOK FOREVER TO MAKE SO APPRECIATE IT

Since I believe the ink mechanics from Splatoon can't be implemented in Smash proper, I did a moveset for the character that works as a set for a "Hammerspace" character. That is, Inkling carries wide array of weapons that only pulls out when the move requires it.

So here it is, my Inkling moveset, complete with Customs! Feel free to add it to the OP.

A: Inkling will fire the Splattershot straight ahead at short range. Keep holding A to keep firing, but the range will decrease periodically and the ink will eventually run out.

Side A: Inkling will do a quick slice with the inkbrush.

Down A: Inkling will morph into squid form and splat ink in front of her.

Up A: Inkling will do a quick swipe with the Inkbrush upwards.

Dash Attack: Inkling will pull out the Splatroller and run with it for a couple of seconds. Anyone hit with it will be caught in the move until it launches the opponent in the last hit.

Neutral Air: Inkling will morph into squid form and spin around while squirting ink. Hits everyone around her.

Forward Air: Inkling will do a forward swipe with the Inkbrush.

Back Air: Inkling will fire the Splattershot behind her. Long range, but doesn’t do much damage or knock the opponent too far.

Up Air: Inkling does a twirling motion with the Splatroller that hits multiple times.

Down Air: Inkling uses the Splatroller to do a single hit below her. Powerful move that spikes, but has some start lag.

Side Smash: Inkling pulls out the Slosher and throws a splat of ink in front of her.

Down Smash: Inkling pulls out the Inkbrush and does a twirling motion, similar to Shulk’s Down Smash.

Up Smash: Similar to Up Air, Inkling will do a twirling motion with the Splatroller.

Grab: Inkling will morph into squid form a latch to the opponent’s head. The grab hit is done by Inkling using her tentacles to press the opponent’s head.

Forward Throw: Inkling will morph back to human form and shoot the opponent forward with the Splattershot.

Back Throw: Same as Forward Throw, but to the back side.

Up Throw: Same as Forward Throw, but straight up.

Down Throw: Still in squid form, Inkling will do a drill motion to hit the opponent multiple times against the ground.

Neutral B1: Inkling will pull out the Luna Blaster and fire a single powerful shot forward with big KO power. Can be charged for full power, but will fire automatically at max.

Neutral B2: Inkling will pull out the Splat Charger and fire a single shot forward. Has less range and power than the Luna Blaster, but charges faster and goes through opponents.

Neutral B3: Inkling will pull out the Heavy Splatting and charge it to fire multiple shots. Takes the longest to charge and has no knockback, but deals the most damage if all shots hit.

Side B1: Inkling will throw a Splat Bomb straight forward. It will do a few bounces and explode after a few seconds. It won’t explode if it hits an opponent but will do damage and bounce back. There can only be one Splat Bomb on the screen at a time from the same Inkling.

Side B2: Inkling will throw a Burst Bomb straight forward. Explodes on contact with anything. There can only be one Burst Bomb on the screen at a time from the same Inkling.

Side B3: Inkling will throw a Seeker straight forward at ground level. Explodes on contact with anything. There can only be one Seeker on the screen at a time from the same Inkling.

Down B1: Inkling will set an Ink Mine on the ground leaving a puddle around. Will explode after a set time or when someone steps on it. If done in the air, Inkling will throw the mine straight down and will explode on contact.

Down B2: Inkling will place a Sprinkler on the ground to act as an obstacle that will shoot ink to other opponents nearby and cause minor damage. Will disappear after a while and can be destroyed with enemy projectiles.

Down B3: Inkling will place a Suction Bomb that will stick to the ground and explode after a set time. If hit hard enough by anyone it can be sent flying (Similar to Pac-Man’s hydrant) and physically hit opponents, but it will explode after a set time no matter what.

Up B1: Inkling will do a Super Squid Jump for massive vertical recovery. Doesn’t hit opponents and can’t be cancelled out.

Up B2: Inkling will take out the Killer Wail and fire it straight down. It will rocket Inkling straight upwards and damage those caught in the sound wave.

Up B3: Inkling will take out the Inkzooka and fire a single shot straight down. It has the same effect as Killer Wail but recovers less and does more damage.

Entrance: Inkling will appear in one of the squid pods in squid form, and will morph into human form before the battle begins and the pod then disappears. When returning to battle after losing a stock, we get a quick look of Inkling’s “spirit” going into the floating platform before Inkling reappears and morphs back into human form.

Idle Animation: Inkling will normally stand holding the Splattershot with both hands in a “ready for war” pose. Occasionally, she will put one hand on her chin and look around. She will also hold the Splattershot in front of her and look at it (in a similar way as when she tries out a weapon in the Weapon Shop)

Crouch: Inkling changes into squid form when she crouches, and will remain in that form when she crawls.

Death: Like Mega Man, Inkling has a unique death. When dying on the side or the bottom of the screen, Inkling’s “spirit” will briefly float upwards before fading out. Also, when dying by drowning, Inkling’s clothes will float up to float up to the surface and then fade out, after she disappears from the screen.

Taunt 1: Inkling will do the “Stay Fresh” pose from the Squid Sisters.

Taunt 2: Inkling will do a fist pump similar to the “Booyah” pose.

Taunt 3: Inkling will disappear in a puddle of ink, reappear to peek around in squid form, then hide again, then reappear in human form.

Winning Pose 1: We see several puddles of ink, and Inkling will appear jumping from one puddle to another. Inkling will then morph into human form and do a pose while holding the Splattershot with one hand.

Winning Pose 2: There will be a Zapfish on screen, Inkling will appear and catch it, and show it to the camera.

Winning Pose 3: Inkling and Judd the Cat are seen on screen, both with very serious looks. Judd will then pull a flag that has a squid of the same color as the Inkling next to him, and Inkling will celebrate with a “Booyah!” pose.

Final Smash: Inkling will pull out a small tablet and fire an Inkstrike straight up. While going up and down, Inkling will remain in place unable to be hurt, and can use the analog stick to slightly change the angle and direction of the missile.

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Wow, you guys really put a lot of thought into the character.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Inklings in Sm4sh, but I'm more interested in seeing how they'll implement them into the game.

Eeenteresting. That narrows it down a little. If one goes here and sorts the publisher column, that will be your list of candidates.

That is, assuming any of these people really have genuine information in the first place.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hm, I'm starting to feel conflicted about this.

On one hand, I find the Twitter posts to be red herrings. As if they're trying to throw people off.

But a big update for Splatoon, with single player content? That could point to more credibility of an Inkling announcement for Smash.

This is inkredibly unbearable...
What single player content?

Also, what I need is offline multiplayer modes such as Turf War and Splat Zones except two players each have three CPU-controlled Inklings in their teams. Popping balloons just isn't cutting it.

I am also surprised we don't have an online ranked battle mode where we pop balloons...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What single player content?

Also, what I need is offline multiplayer modes such as Turf War and Splat Zones except two players each have three CPU-controlled Inklings in their teams. Popping balloons just isn't cutting it.

I am also surprised we don't have an online ranked battle mode where we pop balloons...
agreed

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
https://mobile.twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/655619900388433920

Another person in on the leak. She's also a data miner, and is pretty reputable, so I trust her. No hints besides first-party and a game on the Wii U, though. Still, this gets rid of:
  • King K. Rool
  • Shovel Knight
  • Snake
  • Wolf
  • Isaac
  • Bomberman
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Shantae
  • Rayman
  • Bayonetta
  • Paper Mario
Really, the only major competitor I see at this point is Captain Toad. This is very inkciting news...

EDIT: :4greninja:'d because SWF wouldn't send me alerts. >.<

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
https://mobile.twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/655619900388433920

Another person in on the leak. She's also a data miner, and is pretty reputable, so I trust her. No hints besides first-party and a game on the Wii U, though. Still, this gets rid of:
  • King K. Rool
  • Shovel Knight
  • Snake
  • Wolf
  • Isaac
  • Bomberman
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Shantae
  • Rayman
  • Bayonetta
  • Paper Mario
Really, the only major competitor I see at this point is Captain Toad. This is very inkciting news...

EDIT: :4greninja:'d because SWF wouldn't send me alerts. >.<
and maybe wonder red

and the undog from SMM (he he he)

Reila

Wonder Red doesn't seem to feet the criteria, but I would pumped with this inclusion. I feel that the longer it takes, the harder it will be for him to get in Smash.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
That's interesting, but at the same time very suspicious. She's a dataminer (a very good one), that's the only reason people are listening to her. However it doesn't look like she's getting any of this information from stuff she's data mined, which means this is far from solid evidence.

Not to mention most people have scratched her off the list of credible leakers after she got it wrong once already. I hope she's right though, from her description I'm 95% sure it's Inklings(I know toad is there, but...no)

I wish Nintendo would just announce Inklings and put a stop to this whirlwind of garbage and rumors, it's bad for my heart :(

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Wasn't that dataminer (Nikki was it?) lying about some of her information? The social thread spent a lot of time discussing it over the past few days.

Reila

Wasn't that dataminer (Nikki was it?) lying about some of her information? The social thread spent a lot of time discussing it over the past few days.
Yes, she admitted lying about knowing the date of the direct, which should have been expected since no one ever leaked the date of a direct before. She still is adamant on knowing the character and that we are getting an announcement this month. Also.

Top Bottom