• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Initial Super Smash Wii U Tier List by CT ZeRo

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Why would anyone whip up a tier list when the full game isn't even out and they barely got any real hands on experience on the game? This is ridiculously unnecessary at this point.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
A lot of the things I'm reading are kind of funny to me. A lot of people around the board have been giving speculations on how characters play and what they are like on the battlefield against other characters. All this speculation going around. When they do it, everyone is on the boat and helping to keep it floating. But the moment that somebody who has had more time than anybody else to play the game whips up something that is evaluating the characters and their performance, people are asking why he did it.

Plain and simple, he is stating his opinions on how the characters are rated because he had a couple hours to play this game and experiment with other high level players, unlike the rest of us. If anything, he knows more than everybody else posting in this thread telling him he is wrong. Yes, this is a tier list of a demo. Sure. Who cares? It's speculation. There's no reason to say that this is pointless and stupid when everybody in the character specific threads are trying to think where their character will end up on a tier list.

I'm positive that it will change around, because it's a demo and just ONE person's perspective on the situation. ZeRo doesn't know how to play every character perfectly and neither do all the people at the invitational. Four characters weren't picked for a reason: those were the four characters people were least experienced with.

Anyways, I'm glad there's this tier list, even if it is speculation and made by one person. This shows, once again, the excitement that this player feels for the game and shows that he's willing to throw up a tier speculation based off of his hype. Everybody is going to have some disagreement with some portion of this list, as people do on EVERY SINGLE TIER LIST. Ergo, no complaining that somebody was willing to take their time and energy and give it to the smash community. Thanks. <3

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
A lot of the things I'm reading are kind of funny to me. A lot of people around the board have been giving speculations on how characters play and what they are like on the battlefield against other characters. All this speculation going around. When they do it, everyone is on the boat and helping to keep it floating. But the moment that somebody who has had more time than anybody else to play the game whips up something that is evaluating the characters and their performance, people are asking why he did it.

Plain and simple, he is stating his opinions on how the characters are rated because he had a couple hours to play this game and experiment with other high level players, unlike the rest of us. If anything, he knows more than everybody else posting in this thread telling him he is wrong. Yes, this is a tier list of a demo. Sure. Who cares? It's speculation. There's no reason to say that this is pointless and stupid when everybody in the character specific threads are trying to think where their character will end up on a tier list.

I'm positive that it will change around, because it's a demo and just ONE person's perspective on the situation. ZeRo doesn't know how to play every character perfectly and neither do all the people at the invitational. Four characters weren't picked for a reason: those were the four characters people were least experienced with.

Anyways, I'm glad there's this tier list, even if it is speculation and made by one person. This shows, once again, the excitement that this player feels for the game and shows that he's willing to throw up a tier speculation based off of his hype. Everybody is going to have some disagreement with some portion of this list, as people do on EVERY SINGLE TIER LIST. Ergo, no complaining that somebody was willing to take their time and energy and give it to the smash community. Thanks. <3
I don't really see the point in making one at this point, though.

The full game is coming in like 4 months (on 3DS anyway, but same thing) and we're probably not going to have any more chances to play the game like we did during E3 and the Best Buy events, so this information is more likely than not going to change drastically over this unfortunate remaining waiting period we'll have to take. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even put up demos of each respective version on the eShops either (though I'm hoping for it).

I'd say a tier list would be warranted once the full game, with every single character, is out. It would make for a more concrete placement for each character, unlike this tier list, which doesn't really mean much since everyone is going to be different in the full release.

No one's stopping anyone from speculating, creating tier lists, discussing or whatever else, though. I personally just think this is unnecessary right now. It's not concrete enough and it doesn't mean much due to the game's current stage.

Last edited:

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Wait, was this his ultra "hype" announcement?
Also, This Tier List looks promising.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I tried out Greninja, Little Mac, and Mega Man. I couldn't get the feel of Greninja down - he played very odd, but he does seem to be powerful if you can get his rhythm down. Mega Man seems to be very well balanced. I won a match with him - he has range, he's quick, and some good moves. Little Mac... although I did okay with him, is very limited IMO. He can't jump high at all, and it's very difficult playing him on platforming stages. He lacks range also, but he's a beast if he can get hold of you. Good combos... but again, if someone can escape, he's almost useless. Just my two cents!

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
For the sake of Villager I hope this is inaccurate. This will definitely change when more people get their hands on the game. I haven't been able to get out to one of the Best Buy locations and try the game myself but slow smashes?
The fireworks and shovel both seemed to come out quite fast from what I've seen. Also, he looks like he can combo quite easy as well due to his floatiness and range. He looks like he has good recovery as well (although one is somewhat gimpable).

EDIT: Good to see my 2 Brawl mains aren't low though (Pit and Olimar).

Last edited:

saberhof

Smash Master
Too early for a tier list(may it be initial, its almost getting there list, almost done tier list) , even if zero wrote it :p

ryan

Smash Rookie
Is this tier list based off of running away or camping tactics to win?

Cottoneyes

Smash Rookie
I've studied DK alot in the demos and a bit in E3 and some tech. He's looks so much faster than his previous games and what I notice is that they finally did away with that dash attack which I didn't care for too much.

Honestly if you look at DK he looks more along the lines of PM Dk but not much was seen about his grab game which is what I'm looking forward to testing out.

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
Having a tier list based off of like,5 hours of gameplay and analysis seems way too rushed. I will not acknowledge any of this until the official versions come out.

JazyLax

Smash Rookie
NNID
TreasureSketch
Woah, Donkey Kong! I was always interested in maining him, maybe this time Ill give him a chance along with Bowser

ShaDoW4408

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadow4408
3DS FC
3668-9102-9707
This is a load of bull I saw little mac in that tournament I was in shock at his moves and now my main has switched from marth to him. Now I see someone makes a tier list on a demo that hasn't even been out that long putting him at the bottom. This tier list should be scrapped cmon why in the world do we need a tier list already, we should at least let the game actually come out so everyone can play it and see for themselves. I guarantee more than half the people on here are going to be in a different tier.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Children please, everybody wanted to know his thoughts on a tier list aka who's good and bad since he won the tournemant.

Edit : It's opinionated, and since he got first running the clock down or not, he has every right to speak why he thinks they are good/bad. Get over yourselves, ZeRo won, HungryBox did great but ZeRo abused his characters trait to win.

Last edited:

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
Wii Fit Trainer underdeveloped? I can't imagine why.:yoshimelee:

While a tier list gives us a decent idea. Further elaboration on each character would be more useful. (And it would give me something to read.)

And as he said, this is just his opinion, things are subject to change. A lot of you are getting ass-blasted for no reason. Especially when a tier-list doesn't affect you in the slightest.

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
Why do they keep nerfing Marth? He was perfect in Melee. His recovery was bad enough in Melee and they made it impossible to recover in Brawl. I dont understand why they brought the stabbing animation back for Marth's neutral B move, I mean the slash animation looked better, and they made his aerial game bad? Are u kidding me? Nintendo, make Marth back to what he was in Melee.
I had a chance to play the game. Marth's neutral B in the air is a replacement for his fair. It combos into itself. Also, Marth's bair auto cancels super fast. He's actually not as bad as you think. Plus, the game is in alpha so...you never know.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Seriously? Zelda at the bottom yet again. I really hope this changes. Though I agree with Little Mac being a low tier.

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
No one played as Sonic. I'm not surprised. Only other character that has as little changes as Sonic appears to be Toon Link.

I don't put too much stock in tiers, but this is some interesting insight for a game still in the development process.
I played sonic at Best Buy on Saturday, and I can say that he feels different.

His spins feel much more fluid, especially his side-B. The way it hops and transitions from slow to fast just feels amazing and...controllable for a change. I struggled with Sonic's rolls in Brawl and a bit in PM.

Also, his down smash is now changed in the fact that sonic now does some variation of the 'splits' to attack both sides.

His dash attack hits multiple times and ends with some decent knockback to get people off of him. Back-air is much quicker and his n-air has a surprisingly low amount of landing lag. Also, up-throw, up B, up-air is great for killing at fairly high percents in this game. Probably a little bit better than Brawl.

Honestly, I didn't get enough time with this game but Sonic definitely seems better. Also judging from the fact that I didn't get any legit combos going because it took me a fair amount of time to adjust to the Wii U pro controller and by then the match was nearly over. This game also has fox trotting, so coupling that with dash cancel tilts and ground game is looking pretty solid for competitive play.

One last side note. I noticed that landing lag varies quite a bit in this game. Certain moves seem to have no landing lag at times and at other times they don't. Again, I only got to play twice and the second time the crowd made all 4 of us go random so I couldn't use Sonic again. Hope this rant helped.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
ZeRo, I used to think you were a nice guy, but after putting Link down there like that...you'll get no sympathy from me. lol. Anyways, I'm really tired of Link getting low on the tier list. He's actually looking like a great character so far from what I've seen. More mobility in the air and on the ground, better projectile spamming, and more killing power. And he has great camping capability, so you're wrong there imo.

Last edited:

Drover

Smash Cadet
Tier lists are just going to make people choose their mains after they look at the list. We should save the tier list for later guys.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
...I'm starting to think calling this a Tier list was a bad idea.

Is this tier list based off of running away or camping tactics to win?
It's based on every tactic used in the tournament, but not necessarily this tournament's rules. Sudden Death is usually done away with for a % lead = win rule in most tournaments.

D

Deleted member 245254

Not a great idea to call this a tier list.

It's more like "My incredibly narrow idea of how the characters (that were playable) fare against the way I play ZSS".

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Kind of disappointed at Zelda's perpetually low placement, but I'm glad to see Bowser make it up the ranks.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So is this our version of the NCAA Preseason Rankings? :glare:

But if they have any merit, holy crap, Kirby. I was hoping he'd get a little faster this time around, but Top Tier? Wow.

And the three heaviest characters in the demo are all ranked high? We could be seeing more varied fighting styles in Standard play than ever.

I hope Zelda gets fixed up, though. She hasn't been good in a single game yet, has she?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So is this our version of the NCAA Preseason Rankings? :glare:

But if they have any merit, holy crap, Kirby. I was hoping he'd get a little faster this time around, but Top Tier? Wow.

And the three heaviest characters in the demo are all ranked high? We could be seeing more varied fighting styles in Standard play than ever.

I hope Zelda gets fixed up, though. She hasn't been good in a single game yet, has she?
Not unless you count Project M.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Spinning Kong does help Donkey Kong deal with horizontal onslaughts, but not so much vertical attacks from above. I've been asking that same question myself, since Spinning Kong has never really been a good vertical recovery move; it's more for horizontal recoveries, if anything.

All recoveries seem horizontal in smash 4. Seen anyone get semi-spiked or sent at some unfavorable angle? From the videos I only see Horizontal stuff mattering since KO moves send people slightly upwards so that with good DI you'll never get low.

Sladee

Smash Rookie
Played Mega Man, Little Mac, and Marth at Best Buy and yeah, Little Mac is a little underpowered atm, but on flat stages like Coliseum hes at least mid tier. Mega man is just keep away game and needs a bit of short range love. Can't really give my opinion on Marth as I got rocked very hard that game, just got slammed and KO'd off the top of the Boxing stage quite a lot.

Sladee

Smash Rookie
and wanted to play kirby but my god, my legs were about to buckle. Waited for 4 plus hours through the entire thing, but luckily Smash run was good fun to wait with, and the people there were awesome. I felt so left out just wearing a blue polo and jeans with all this geek gear around me :( shouldve wore something more fitting.

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
Little mac.. low tier..:'(
guess he really is an underdog, at least I won't feel bad for maining an OP character

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
This is a load of bull I saw little mac in that tournament I was in shock at his moves and now my main has switched from marth to him. Now I see someone makes a tier list on a demo that hasn't even been out that long putting him at the bottom. This tier list should be scrapped cmon why in the world do we need a tier list already, we should at least let the game actually come out so everyone can play it and see for themselves. I guarantee more than half the people on here are going to be in a different tier.
Little Mac is listed as low tier not because he's weak but because his incredible strength is situational. His aerial game is almost non-existent so he will have a lot of trouble any time an opponent takes to the air or platforms to avoid his close quarters combat and he won't be able to gimp players' recoveries.
Little Mac fights on his own terms so his strength will be determined by the player's ability to enforce them.

Top Bottom