• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Initial Grapple Breakout (New Discovery)

COMMANDLIST

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if anyone of you made a post about this before but I've noticed this a couple of times by accident.

When my friends try to grab me, I immediately breakout from their grab. Now this breakout isn't like the regular one we know since melee where you are released just by shaking the control. I guess this is a new feature the game has installed. I know that some of you through constant playing may have noticed this for yourselves along the way.

But I think( that's right you heard me think so I'm not too positive) I understand how to do it. Correct me if I'm wrong, you need to press the A button at the precise moment your about to get grab. Thus you release yourself from the grab initially. I discovered this through the approach I posted in my first thread titled '' Sorry I Took So Long To Give You Mario's Best Approach.'' My friend was trying to sheild grab me as soon as I landed on the ground to start my AAA combo and I broke out from the first A. This discovery will be very useful if mastered that would mean ''NO MORE ANNOYING CHAIN GRABS'' from characters like dedede or falco.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

How about you guys have you had any experiences or do you have anything to add so that we can enlighting the situation? Please comment thanks.:)

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap! This sounds very logical and true. I have had some experiences like this but i had never realize it was possible to break grapple. Can anyone confirm this by pressing A at the right time to break grab?

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
This has happened to me but I just thought it was some sort of glitch or something. I doubt it is as simple as just pressing a right when you are about to get grabbed or it would have been discovered already probably.

surrepGuy

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't say no more chain grabs yet because this is just a theory and needs to be more thoroughly tested. Also if this does indeed work then it might be something ANY character can do. I doubt they would give only mario the ability to break out of grabs like that..not that that means anything thought

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
SurrepGuy is right as first this is only a theory, and secondly due to the combination of how n00by your last post was, your self promotion (although this thread doesn't count as you did have a reason to mention your other thread), and your post count makes it hard to believe(although even the guy I am agreeing with has a low post count). I could always be wrong though and props to you if I am.

COMMANDLIST

Smash Cadet
SurrepGuy is right as first this is only a theory, and secondly due to the combination of how n00by your last post was, your self promotion (although this thread doesn't count as you did have a reason to mention your other thread), and your post count makes it hard to believe(although even the guy I am agreeing with has a low post count). I could always be wrong though and props to you if I am.
My goodness, I believe I have a stalker. Do you go on others post to simply thrash talk about others post. F***k it man! You really annoying me with your f**king comments. I mean yeah I'm new But that doesn't really say ****. I haven't really seen nor heard anything from you. So in my book your a nobody. Please in the future when you see any of my post DON'T READ IT.

I'm only trying to help out my fellow Mario brothers with some finds that have been discovered. Also you musn't judge a book by it's cover my friend. Iam no noob to this game. I would also advise you to trend lightly if we were to cross in an SSBB tournament.:laugh:

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Your other thread certainly portrays you to be a noob

EDIT: To the guy below me, I wasn't referring to post count at all. Go look it up you'll see what I mean

Ark098

Smash Cadet
ugh so much noob calling.. makes me sick. so immature. post count means next to jack.

good find man, if this proves to be true and you can escape grab combos at the beginning, i'll be happy to main ness without fear of marth.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I've seen this same thread where people said you "powershield" the grab and instantly parry it, in the same manner you are describing, with the A button. Those threads were equally hypothetical. Are you able to do this consistently at all, on non-moving terrain, against non-ranged grabbers?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I have had this happen to me like a zillion times...mostly when I'm fighting Olimar

When he grabbed me when I down smashed I did the breakout animation except I killed Olimar....

I've been meaning to figure out how this works...I'll do some experimenting eventually

Tenki

Smash Hero
I've seen this same thread where people said you "powershield" the grab and instantly parry it, in the same manner you are describing, with the A button. Those threads were equally hypothetical. Are you able to do this consistently at all, on non-moving terrain, against non-ranged grabbers?
by "powershield", does this mean you actually press shield at the same time, then do A?

or do you just mean you press A with the exact timing of a powershield?

Leifio

Smash Cadet
When you did this what % were you at? somtimes you can break out of a grab faster at lower percents.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I tried it and it worked!!!

Nice find, I can finally break from Falco's chaingrabs

Thanks

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
ROFL! :laugh: Omg guys,If my camera wasnt broke Id post this **** via Youtube in a heartbeat.I believe its some sort of a just frame or something because I find the timing to be really,and I mean really strict.But the thing is,Ive been able to break away from shieldgrab attempts! If someone out there learns the timing,turtlers are gonna be in some trouble :laugh: Btw for those of you wondering,Ive been escaping at 100%+!

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I instantly broke out of a grab online with Ness at like 164%. I was trying to do a nair so it may be breaking out with A. This needs more testing.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
IC players may have just lost one of their best strategies, sweet (execpt if you´re one). Has anyone tried this with other characters than Mario?

Dubz

Smash Cadet
Naw this works, it works with the a button and also if you try to grab each other at the same time you both do the grab break animation immediately. I think it was on the tactical forums? I'm not sure I read it somewhere. Its just kinda tricky to do, but I'm sure its sweet as hell once you know the timing.

Good job finding it though.

Edit: as far as I know it works with everyone ( I know I've done it with R.O.B and Marth at least).

COMMANDLIST

Smash Cadet
Sounds too good to be true. I think I'll stick to my superhuman button mashing skills I developed in Mario Party 64 (w00t!!).
I enjoy reading your comments Not-Beef. But next time I'l know better not to read your posts while drinking soda. I almost choke myself laughing while having a drink.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tenki

Smash Hero
So is it shield+A or just A?

Sounds too good to be true. I think I'll stick to my superhuman button mashing skills I developed in Mario Party 64 (w00t!!).
noo. Mario Party 64 was control-stick destroying skills- the windups,man, the windups.

btw, I still have them. Screwed up my control stick on my GC controller while trying to get out of an IC chaingrab.

if I knew about this earlier, this would have saved me $25 D:

vato_break

Smash Master
This works
if you know you're going to be grabbed.
still i only was able to do it 6 out of 9 times so i am sure that it take precise timing to master this.
Does this work for mario only?

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
This works
if you know you're going to be grabbed.
still i only was able to do it 6 out of 9 times so i am sure that it take precise timing to master this.
Does this work for mario only?
Yeah, does it work for Ike? I gotta try it out. It's best when used with IC because you almost always know when they will grab.

Personally I think its just speed punching to avoid a grab though...

-Coco-

Smash Ace
so

whats the final verdict of this i did this a couple times but i was wondering if i should try and master it cause i can get out of falco's chain grab no problem without using this but maybe thats because he keeps missing cause the falco cant chain me much either way the timing seems so strict that im wondering is this worth mastering?

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
No its not worth mastering, unless you have a friend that loves to spam his chaingrabs, I'd stay away.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
A way to test this is to go into training mode at 1/4 or 1/2 speed and get chaingrabbed while someone else spams A, also if the person who is getting chain grabbed should change their controller setup to have attack for as many buttons as possible. This way we will be able to test for sure with no problem if pressing a at the correct time breaks a grab

In my opinion i think u have to click a just b4 u get grabbed so the input for the jab is registered and as we all know if u get hit while having grabbed someone they get out.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Kidlat

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion i think u have to click a just b4 u get grabbed so the input for the jab is registered and as we all know if u get hit while having grabbed someone they get out.

This is true: you must press A just before you get grabbed. I just tried this and it worked. I was even able to do it in online lag.

Krii

Smash Journeyman
"And i, like god, do not belive in glitches" lol hopefully it's not a glitch =P But it is certainly a good thing that add's to the defensive play. I wish something would be discovered so everyone would stop turtling everywhere XD

Top Bottom