• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Info for noobs

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm bored, so here I go. Just note I'm not discouraging you from playing as Ike. I am however discouraging idiots. So dont read if you have an IQ under 80 and you main Ike.

No, Ike doesn't kill at 60%. Because a good player can avoid an attack that is slower than a bus full of morbidly obese people. Seriously, he gets lucky if he kills at 60%. 80%, sure, and that's usually with an F Tilt for me.

Ike is not good. Stop saying he's just not godly.

A lil quote from probably one of the best Ikes here.

Kirk
If you want to main/keep maining Ike, remember you will mostly have to be the better player to win. This is not true for all characters. A very good Cpt. Falcon can still lose to a mediocre G&W, because G&W is at a huge advantage. Ike doesn't have many of these match-ups. Therefore, you're gonna have a hard time playing Ike, as you'll often get a bad match-up
Now if you have to be the better player always to win against pretty much anyone, how does that not mean he sucks?

He is predictable, he's slow, easy to punish, and pretty much all the characters used by good players counter the hell out of him.

Go ahead, play as Ike, I do, but stop making topics about him being "a beast" or "Being ok". And for chirst sakes quit posting videos of your Ike against ****ty players. If a DeDeDe isn't chaingrabbing him, it's because he's a scrub. If idiots keep rolling into your F Smash, dont think that somehow makes him a good character, and dont think that will make a rockingly good video, because Rok thought so, and we all ****ing hate Rok.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Ike is a mind-gaming character. If you can't mind game you can't make Ike work for you, it's as simple as that. Running in with the same strategy without watching your opponent and messing with his head as much as possible is what will cost Ike players the game. It's all about timing alternations, reading dodge timers, and knowing when to pull off your killshots. Other than that I wouldn't say he's bad, just horrifically mediocre.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Ike is a mind-gaming character. If you can't mind game you can't make Ike work for you, it's as simple as that. Running in with the same strategy without watching your opponent and messing with his head as much as possible is what will cost Ike players the game. It's all about timing alternations, reading dodge timers, and knowing when to pull off your killshots. Other than that I wouldn't say he's bad, just horrifically mediocre.
Mediocre, bad, not that huge of a difference. But yeah, he's a mindgame character because he's bad. Good characters can use mindgames too, they just don't because they don't need them.

Ike is usable. Bu it isn't smart to use him, and his main fan base completely sucks ***.

@Edd:Course I know that, I'm not ****ing five, but I've heard the excuse that the DDD is trying not be cheap in the topics that I've seen where Ike wins. If you label a move cheap and thus you dont use it, you're a scrub.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I tested my Ike vs. a friend's Sonic.
He plays like a tourney player should, quick to dodge and quick to attack.
But, I seemed to outsmart him on every game.
He said he had lag, but I can't really believe that it was lagging over there and not over at my house.

Fake approaches help, like running, start a dash the other way, then bair.
It works, but it's a bit slow.
Dash to a counter is great.

I beat everyone I know with Ike, and they are good players.
I must have an IQ higher than 80.
Or higher than you, because this thread is sort of useless....
Why make a thread telling people to stop making threads?
Let mods close them.
And don't click on them.
Problem solved.

Also, Fox can reflect things.
HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?!

Edds

Smash Ace
if you played online. then online is different than playing a tourney. unless it was an online tourament.

im not saying chaingrab is a bad thing. just ive managed without it so far.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Eh, no, PCHU, that really defends nothing. Dont defend Ike with the most noobtastic defense ever. Sonic sucks ***, and online sucks ***. And he plays "like" a tourney player. Hmmm, why do I doubt that. And have you ****ing seen these boards? They never freaking close.

Edds, once again, i never said he requires chaingrab, I said not using it on someone who is easy to chaingrab and losing, then saying you wont be cheap is scrubness, and I dont want to watch scrubs play.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I assign the term "mediocre" to ike as a character, and assign my control of him as "pretty good". I disagree with the concept that silven is also only "pretty good" but whatever everyone has a player they will attempt to compare it to. I don't play against crappy characters or crappy players either, but I will give them the hard time and definitely win a decent amount against people where I am clearly not the better overall player (meaning I have worse tech skill, and I honestly could never pick up another character and play it like it's nothing) . Yes, this can be accounted for someone attempting to do something gutsy against me when I don't play a super aggressive ike most of the time and me not leading into it, and with time those things will be accounted for and it will be harder for me to win, but that in no way means that I nor my character "suck".

I personally stick to him BECAUSE so many people who play ike are flat out bad at it, I personally gain a lot more from hearing "wow an actually good ike" instead of just going willy nilly with meta knight. Once I feel I have learned all there is to know about my character and taking advantages of openings rather than them being hindsight, I will move on and use them on a stronger character, likely marth.

The reason people are disagreeing with you is because you are taking a concept about a character's flaws and making an extreme blanket out of it. An average or mediocre character should be described as such, because your wording pretty much leaves it wide open to the interpretation of "anyone who isnt the top 5 characters flat out sucks".

Kirk

Smash Champion
I personally stick to him BECAUSE so many people who play ike are flat out bad at it, I personally gain a lot more from hearing "wow an actually good ike" instead of just going willy nilly with meta knight.
I feel the same way sometimes. There are a lot of people like this, and its always a nice feeling hearing you are one of the few who give Ike a good name. I've been playing Ike for who knows how long. Nothing is going to change that because I play characters I enjoy playing, and I have a whole lot of fun with Ike :D

The reason people are disagreeing with you is because you are taking a concept about a character's flaws and making an extreme blanket out of it. An average or mediocre character should be described as such, because your wording pretty much leaves it wide open to the interpretation of "anyone who isnt the top 5 characters flat out sucks".
Good stuff Ryko :D I couldn't have said it better myself.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I feel the same way sometimes. There are a lot of people like this, and its always a nice feeling hearing you are one of the few who give Ike a good name. I've been playing Ike for who knows how long. Nothing is going to change that because I play characters I enjoy playing, and I have a whole lot of fun with Ike :D
^This

And i'm not trying to summarize Ike. I'm telling people to stop making such **** annoying threads. Because I was bored. XP

And I refuse to use him in tourneys now because not only do I always fubar, but I've yet to see a single Ike place well in tourneys.

In friendlies, I seem to draw a bit of a crowd though, it's hilarious. Everyone is all spazzy that there are Ike players that know their ****. XD

To all Ike mains that dont make idiotic arguments like 'I beat my friends who are good" and stuff like that, keep on trucking.

But seriously, someone show me a good Ike placement. I've been shown some of Silven's placings and got all sad because he almsot restored my faith. Especially since he was (is?) like me-"respectable losses, crappy placement". Although I personally think he is probably better than me.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
I tested my Ike vs. a friend's Sonic.

I beat everyone I know with Ike, and they are good players.
I must have an IQ higher than 80.
Or higher than you, because this thread is sort of useless....
hope you realize that an IQ of less than 80 qualifies you as mentally challenged.
75 and below, you have to ride the short bus.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Falcony has a point. Though its quite possible that many of the people here are quite the casual type.

If you win in your nubby group of friends with Ike, then I suggest continuing Ike. I do warn though that your friends will potentially find a counter that you will NEVER beat.

Now casuals aside, any player who involves money, (tourney, cash-battle, etc), then you should honestly re-look the character roster.

You may be beating your friends, or the rural locals but in a tourney they will literally do ANYTHING to win.

Bouse

Smash Ace
and dont think that will make a rockingly good video, because Rok thought so, and we all ****ing hate Rok.
I just watched his video, and I feel so bad for you guys. The Zero Suit Samus boards are organized, constructive, and helpful. This board is littered with people who I'm surprised can actually use a computer, and post in a language that is actually coherent.

Pretty much the only time I've been effectively able to land his side smash on purpose is against a Diddy Kong using his bananas against him on the edge of a stage (His bananas are his undoing against Ike).

Everyone in that video was just incredibly terrible and didn't know how to recover, air/spot dodge, or shield.

Ike is a fun character but to play him is a gamble. You have to give up 10 yards to gain 30, and you're not guaranteed to gain that 30 yards. You can mind game him to victory, but it's like playing Rock Paper Scissors with only a really big ****in' rock. He can sometimes hit you with that rock, and it beats your normal rock. However, if you're smart and use your paper a lot you can get around him. However, if you become too predictable with your paper, just like if he becomes too predictable with his REALLY BIG ****IN ROCK, you're put on the receiving end of his big angry Rock of doom. Luckily for you, you have a bunch of smaller rocks, so you can attack with them quicker and can throw them at him.

Makes for a fun character to have in your roster, a definite counter to specific characters, but not your main tournament character.

Obvious smash is obvious.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Good characters can use mindgames too, they just don't because they don't need them.
Well if that isn't the stupidest thing I've ever heard on these boards. IMO. lol. Everyone uses mind games, it's not just for characters with a disadvantage (I wont say low tier, tiers don exist) to other characters, mind games are used by every character. Maybe used more with certain characters then others but they are always used.

By The Way, the title of this thread is very off putting.

Betaz

Smash Ace
I just watched his video, and I feel so bad for you guys. The Zero Suit Samus boards are organized, constructive, and helpful. This board is littered with people who I'm surprised can actually use a computer,
and post in a language that is actually coherent.

Pretty much the only time I've been effectively able to land his side smash on purpose is against a Diddy Kong using his bananas against him on the edge of a stage (His bananas are his undoing against Ike).

Everyone in that video was just incredibly terrible and didn't know how to recover, air/spot dodge, or shield.

Ike is a fun character but to play him is a gamble. You have to give up 10 yards to gain 30, and you're not guaranteed to gain that 30 yards. You can mind game him to victory, but it's like playing Rock Paper Scissors with only a really big ****in' rock. He can sometimes hit you with that rock, and it beats your normal rock. However, if you're smart and use your paper a lot you can get around him. However, if you become too predictable with your paper, just like if he becomes too predictable with his REALLY BIG ****IN ROCK, you're put on the receiving end of his big angry Rock of doom. Luckily for you, you have a bunch of smaller rocks, so you can attack with them quicker and can throw them at him.

Makes for a fun character to have in your roster, a definite counter to specific characters, but not your main tournament character.

Obvious smash is obvious.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

wow you just made my day thanks:laugh:

PCHU

Smash Lord
Why can't some people see that Ike is actually good?
People who say he isn't good probably don't play him right.
He wasn't made for shield grabbing, he was made to counter and smash.
Is it really that hard to see that Ike rocks? (Lawl at the word rocks, in reference to earlier)
Sure he may not be the best, but he's not a huge target, and his attacks can be put into strings.
Learn the strings, they help you tons.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Why can't some people see that Ike is actually good?
People who say he isn't good probably don't play him right.
He wasn't made for shield grabbing, he was made to counter and smash.
Is it really that hard to see that Ike rocks? (Lawl at the word rocks, in reference to earlier)
Sure he may not be the best, but he's not a huge target, and his attacks can be put into strings.
Learn the strings, they help you tons.
...No, Inui's Ike is probably better than our Ikes and he says he sucks. Same goes for LK.

PCHU, you have no idea what the hell you are freaking talking about. Sit. Down.

You cant shield then smash, there are a million ways to to dodge that.

Strings, mind splaining moar?

People who say Ike isn't good are people who dont suck *** at smash. Dude, get off the **** noob, train, you dont sound like you ever have even been to a tourney. Your first defense of Ike was that you can beat your friends who are "good".

I beat my sister, and she uses Pit, and she's "good" probably better than you. But you dont see me using that as a pisspoor, defense, now do you?

Puddin, lemme restate that. All characters use mindgames, he just relies on them because he sucks.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Way to be constructive :\

P.S.

Strings = A series of attacks "strung" together in succession. People use this term because everyone hates when someone even mentions combos and brawl.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Way to be constructive :\

P.S.

Strings = A series of attacks "strung" together in succession. People use this term because everyone hates when someone even mentions combos and brawl.
I know what a string is. I want to know what kind of combo is Ike freaking capable of. He has his jab, that's it. >.<

Kirk

Smash Champion
I know what a string is. I want to know what kind of combo is Ike freaking capable of. He has his jab, that's it. >.<
Well maybe you don't know. They are NOT combos...as you keep saying.

Manipulation of your opponent into your succeeding attacks are what strings are about. Escapable by all means, but smart playing can continue your onslaught. Every character can do it...naturally.

Or just watch videos of good Ikes or Silven's "combo" video for that matter.

The Crotch

Smash Cadet
I have no idea what it is that I just read or what it meant or what the hell is going on here anymore.

The only thing I know is that it's awesome.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Pchu, everybody in brawl was made for shield-grabbing, especially ike. When people violate Ike's personal bubble, he just doesn't know WHAT to do. =/ Spacing for the win, jab and shieldgrab-maybe a retreating fair or nair out of shield-to save the day.

Ike has more than just his jab. <_< It's amazing how Ike can manage to hit with several of his moves. *gasp* Sure, his jab opens up more options and should be used often-much like a good football team sets up their running game in order to dominate the passing game and keep the opponent guessing as to what's coming next.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Somehow I missed that post.

That was beyond awesome. He just won the Ike boards.

Now if only Ike could win a tourney. *shot
I bet Azen could.

The competitive Ike population is dying anyways sadly. So ultimately he'll end up bottom tier.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I've won tourneys with Ike before. Haven't been to anything "big" or anything, but I've played my fair share.
I mean the uber serious ones. You know, with people like Inui and M2K and Eggz.

Well, are you better, not was good as, or about the same as Silven? Because the general response I've been getting is that he's ok. >.>

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I mean the uber serious ones. You know, with people like Inui and M2K and Eggz.

Well, are you better, not was good as, or about the same as Silven? Because the general response I've been getting is that he's ok. >.>
Vids don't tell crap. Silven is probably a ton better than he appears. If people suggest that they are any better, they better have some mother ****ing proof. Seriously.

metroid1117

Smash Master
@OP: I'm surprised you didn't mention Ike's glaring weakness to projectiles in your original post; you might want to add that. I'm sure a lot of players can relate to that, assuming they've played at least one spammy Pit/Falco/Wolf/Lucario/D3/Snake/etc.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Weakness to projectile camping is more of a player problem than a character problem, depending on which character he's fighting. Every character without a counter to a projectile has a "weakness" against them. Doesn't mean "IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!!" <_< I was more surprised that you highlighted camping rather than gimping. That's where projectiles shine against Ike. Camping can be overcome, albeit some characters make it incredibly difficult. There's not too many ways around gimping with Ike, though...SDI and DI can help, as can the occasional counter to slow you down/knock away a projectile. Problem is, you might wind up out of your aether range thanks to the slowed momentum.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Vids don't tell crap. Silven is probably a ton better than he appears. If people suggest that they are any better, they better have some mother ****ing proof. Seriously.
Um, I'm not going off of vids. I've shown his combo vid to some of my peeps, and the guys who have played with him said they weren't too impressed. You know, the kind of guys that will threestock you while drunk, not some random noobs. >.<

Also, i never said anyone is better than another, I asked, because I'm gathering info you ***.

Stop trying to fall back on Silven, it's sad.

Puddin

Smash Lord
After reading that your entire paragraph became invisible.
Oh jee sorry for having an opinion, I guess I broke the "IMO" rule of the internet. Here (I wont say low tier, tiers don exist) IMO. I'm simply saying I don't agree with tiers, so stop being such a butt-hurt obnoxious flamer.

Anyway I guess I cant just post this ^^ so I'll say moar. :ohwell:

I really don't know what else to say, being an Olimar mainer I don't usually have trouble with Ike, but I have used him and cant say he's a terrible character or anything like that.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
You'll quickly find that not only DO tires exit, but they are widely accepted by most everyone for a reason. This reason is quite simple-no two characters are created equally. Certain attributes of a Brawler, when exploited, give them the edge over another. This isn't little league; not everybody wins. Considering that tiers take counters into consideration as well, it's tough to discount them without looking like a n00b. :( It's a lot like chess, if you get really into it.

inb4gimpyfish. <_<

*edit*

what the **** is wrong with mah sig. x(

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
[13:14] Inui: Kirk wins average sized events.
[13:14] Inui: In Western NY.
[13:14] Inui: That have no pros there.

Kirk, dont think for a second your wins with Ike mean **** over there. Go play with some pros and they'll laugh. >.<

Ike isn't viable agaisnt people who dont suck.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
[13:14] Inui: Kirk wins average sized events.
[13:14] Inui: In Western NY.
[13:14] Inui: That have no pros there.

Kirk, dont think for a second your wins with Ike mean **** over there. Go play with some pros and they'll laugh. >.<
Didn't Kirk say he didn't do anything "big"? I think he's acknowledging that he hasn't done anything "great."

Top Bottom