• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinites(A.K.A. low-risk high-reward combos) should be limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
What is your framework, and how is mine different?

This is where I get lost, as idk.
I figured the distinction was clear. You value even match-ups across the board, whereas I value lots of CPing, which requires very diverse match-up ratios.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I figured the distinction was clear. You value even match-ups across the board, whereas I value lots of CPing, which requires very diverse match-up ratios.
I value cping too, else I would be banning it outright(most likely)

The change to 3 regrabs is not going to remove the CP potential in anyway, and I don't see why you would think that.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I don't see any value in it, because I don't see any value in trying to make all match-ups in the game closer to even.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I value cping too, else I would be banning it outright(most likely)

The change to 3 regrabs is not going to remove the CP potential in anyway, and I don't see why you would think that.

Also, as a quote from Grim Tuesday "Its also worth keeping in mind that the more skewed a match-up is, the less competitive it is."

How many people did you mean when you said our framework?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Idk how many people I meant... Just replace "our" with "mine" I don't really care. I am speaking on my own behalf. If people hold that view, then I don't see their argument with you, unless they value other things that aren't compatible with your rule. Furthermore, I showed how it's possible that your rule might not even accomplish what you want, so maybe the majority of people value the same things as you, but think that limiting cgs hurts balance more than improves it. I am not sure, but that's certainly how I feel about it.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Idk how many people I meant... Just replace "our" with "mine" I don't really care. I am speaking on my own behalf. If people hold that view, then I don't see their argument with you, unless they value other things that aren't compatible with your rule. Furthermore, I showed how it's possible that your rule might not even accomplish what you want, so maybe the majority of people value the same things as you, but think that limiting cgs hurts balance more than improves it. I am not sure, but that's certainly how I feel about it.
Except, I proved you wrong with a chart you have yet to disprove without saying 'these matchups just don't matter'.

When in fact they do.

Even if infinites remove depth from the game, the amount of players who won't enter tournaments with your rules = worse depth than if infinites were allowed.

Read my thread in the Stage boards.

I read it, you can't prove this, can you?

I mean, when I suggested my rule be added to tournaments nobody said they wouldn't attend tournaments with it on.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
You don't have to agree with me, I'm not arguing for the sake of being right here.

Just telling you exactly what the problem is with your ruleset, just because it isn't something I can prove, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
It pales in comparison to what I say, that it won't happen.

(Read: all of grim's post, and put it into my point)

Except I have proof for mine. So mines statistically better then yours, although they both are plausible.

Best option? Testing!

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I find it funny how Arcansi thinks everyone is forced to use the Unity Ruleset, and it's the reason we don't use rulesets such as his.

The Unity Ruleset is still relatively new for the Brawl scene, and up until when it was formed guess what? Most tournaments were already using rulesets that were only 1 or 2 tweaks away from being Unity. (1 stage difference, 5 starter list instead of 7, different LGL, that kind of stuff).

And then there's Apex, possibly the largest Brawl tournament so far, and it's not even running Unity!

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I find it funny how Arcansi thinks everyone is forced to use the Unity Ruleset, and it's the reason we don't use rulesets such as his.

The Unity Ruleset is still relatively new for the Brawl scene, and up until when it was formed guess what? Most tournaments were already using rulesets that were only 1 or 2 tweaks away from being Unity. (1 stage difference, 5 starter list instead of 7, different LGL, that kind of stuff).

And then there's Apex, possibly the largest Brawl tournament so far, and it's not even running Unity!
It basically is. I mean, I'm pretty sure those changes were made to accomodate those people who are not under the influence of unity.

Note that I never said it was the reason we don't use rulesets such as mine and I don't appreciate you saying so.

What do you have proof of? o_O

Look: If you really think people would enter your tournies, then you clearly aren't a part of a scene that is even half-way decent.
What do you mean when you say my tournaments?

Also, I never said anything about my own tournaments, as I don't host any.

:fluttershy:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Except, I proved you wrong with a chart you have yet to disprove without saying 'these matchups just don't matter'.

When in fact they do.

I read it, you can't prove this, can you?

I mean, when I suggested my rule be added to tournaments nobody said they wouldn't attend tournaments with it on.
You didn't prove me wrong... You've never proved anything lol. Are you trolling me or something, like you're making very little sense now :/.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am saying your chart proves nothing. Limiting cgs doesn't change match-ups in identical fashions, and that's what you think happens. I've never once said certain match-ups don't matter, I wouldn't be that naive. I've been treating every match-up equally, and from what I can tell, your rule hurts balance more than improves it.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I'm working on gathering info from character mains on this, so hold on if you don't mind.

Also, isn't it a double standard to have the LGL and not have this? (The LGL is a tactic-limiting rule that removes a tactic because it makes matchups one sided and promotes stalling. (only when the former is true, however) My rule is a tactic-limiting rule that removes a tactic because it makes matchups one sided (and also could be used to promote stalling, given the current stalling rule))

It wouldn't be if the LGL only removed stalling tactics (what DeLux told me to tell me the LGL doesn't help my case) but it doesn't. It also removes effective tactics to do damage for some characters, and in some matchups.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Grim's Stage Thread said:
What we can infer from this is that a game with more effectively different situations will be harder to master, and the harder a game is to master, the more competitive it becomes (to a point, as if a game is too difficult to master, such as predicting a coin toss, the players will be equally bad at it). With that in mind, competitive will be used in the way I have described for the remainder of this thread as I believe it is the most logical definition for it.
Doesn't the rule fit this?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Yea except you're removing situations, go figure.

The game is too complex for you to simply say that your rule creates more effectively different situations because it limits some others even if it does create more balance overall (which it doesn't necessarily)

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Yea except you're removing situations, go figure.

The game is too complex for you to simply say that your rule creates more effectively different situations because it limits some others even if it does create more balance overall (which it doesn't necessarily)
Adds situations overall because of this.

A match in which IC's gets a chaingrab immediately all 3 stocks has less situations then a match in which IC's gets a chaingrab at 1:00 after start of the match or last chaingrab.

Read what I said in the thread about how the competitive merit of a decision is also directly related to its popularity.
So basically, your just going on beliefs? I mean, my locality didn't say they would quit with it on, nobody in this thread has...so really that wouldn't seem to apply at all, now would it?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Adds situations overall because of this.

A match in which IC's gets a chaingrab immediately all 3 stocks has less situations then a match in which IC's gets a chaingrab at 1:00 after start of the match or last chaingrab.
So a 99 minute match is more competitive because there are more situations? Go push for that.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
So a 99 minute match is more competitive because there are more situations? Go push for that.
It defines skill better but is less practical.

I don't understand your purpose in posting this, as it is quite obvious the impracticality of such a thing outweighs how much more it defines skill.

:fluttershy:

Arcansi

Smash Champion
It's impractical because few people would go to your tournaments
inb4 you can't prove that so I'm allowed to disregard it
Is that not a logical conclusion.

NOTE: On a survey of my local area conducted by someone other then me, it was found that all but 1 person would play in a tourney with my ruleset on.

Am I supposed to just think nobody would go even though this exists?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
To be fair Arcansi, it was all but 2 would agree to a free side event for testing, although one was 50/50 because he also wanted to do crews lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom