• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Increasing the Presentation and Uniqueness of Brawl+

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm working on a big thing of official textures and subtle changes that can be done for Brawl+. I'm not sure of an ETA yet, but I'm going to work on it a lot today at work.

Is there anything people would like to see in terms of menu and texture changes for the game that I can work on with all of this. I'll release the pack here when I am done.

Also, it won't just be texture changes I'm working on, I have a few surprises in store.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I think Brawl+ needs to move away from using the default FPC code folder "pf" before we start including too many textures. Otherwise we will have even more conflicts with people who want to run vBrawl with the FPC active.

But yeah, title screen + custom sss with sse stages instead of banned ones plz XD

g-regulate

Smash Hero
I dislike textures (except the PT/lucario/sonic textures for teams). They confuse me and distract me while playing.

Anyone sense my conservative brawl plus nature?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I think Brawl+ needs to move away from using the default FPC code folder "pf" before we start including too many textures. Otherwise we will have even more conflicts with people who want to run vBrawl with the FPC active.

But yeah, title screen + custom sss with sse stages instead of banned ones plz XD
i was actually meaning to ask you about that.

since we didnt have a custom SSS code that worked i planned on replacing all of the textures for the stages and replacing all of the stage pac files to put them ordered correctly on the SSS, but now with the new CSSS code I saw today, I won't have to do that. I saw PW post it, but would you mind posting how you use it per se?

One thing I really want to do is do something about the Online Training Room. It's so blah and dull that it really doesn't feel like it should be part of a final build. I would rather see it banned or changed so that we use one of the flat SSE stages (my vote going for the opening stage where it's Mario v Kirby) and pop a sandbag on there. Though tbh the more I think about it the more I'm disliking the Sandbag because of the crap it causes with the camera and it's just an object to get in the way of player interaction hampering competitive play.

edit: btw in my build of brawl+ i use a bp folder for all of my character files. i have all of my songs and textures in pf, and all my b+ chars and textures in pf. I have a Brawl+ code file that loads characters from bp and songs from pf and a vBrawl codeset that loads everything in pf. I can also switch code files without messing around with my SD card on a comp. The reason I have Brawl+ load songs from pf is so I don't have to have 2 copies of them on my SD since those files can get kinda big.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I think we should leave WWR in, replace all the "definetly banned" stages with SSE, and use the 8-9 slots provided by phantoms new CSSS code for...more SSE.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
I'd be in favor of Dant's proposal, but we continually run into the problem of denying people extraneous vbrawl content that they wish to keep for one reason or another. We tried replacing NPC with WWR, but people wanted to keep NPC because it's a nice big stage to goof around on and try random stuff out, even though it's not suited for tournaments.

Since phantom's new SSS code allows for about 8 new non-randomizable stages, I'm in favor of using those provided we actually find a set of decent stages to use, and the community is in favor of it, and we can do it without essentially removing other nonlegal stages from the game. Replacing nonlegal stages in the Random Select with neutralish stages from SSE is ok in my book if we can get it to work.

As for presentation, I'm fine with SSS icon replacements, and I think I'd be fine with CSPs once I've actually taken a look at them to see if I think they fit well. B+ title screen should be ok, and stuff like that.

I'm very much in favor of making easily distributable "sealed" tournament packs that encompass all of these features. I think custom textures are cool and all, but I very much dislike seeing them in tourneys, I think there should be a more "professional" air there if you will. I'm with Greg on this one all the way. Obviously, all the important components should be made available to people piecemeal so they can make their own setups for home practice use, but at tournaments we should go whole hog on the presentation, even if it is kinda snubbing people for experimenting with their own stuff.

Veril

Frame Savant
There are a ton of cool stages in SSE that are more neutral than some of the starters. I support adding them in 100%. We don't have to immediately allow them in tourney. I'm sure the community will be more than willing to try them out. Cool, new, shiny, non-disruptive of game balance... <3

In regards to textures, honestly, I think having character's identified purely by their hats is garbage. For example, the Jiggs textures I use are much more clearly associated with a team color (Jiggly J. Falcon for example). I think the texture rule should only apply to singles if the match is being live streamed.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I'm working on a big thing of official textures and subtle changes that can be done for Brawl+. I'm not sure of an ETA yet, but I'm going to work on it a lot today at work.

Is there anything people would like to see in terms of menu and texture changes for the game that I can work on with all of this. I'll release the pack here when I am done.

Also, it won't just be texture changes I'm working on, I have a few surprises in store.
Chibo, do you still want me to use your old texture pack in the enhanced option for the updater when the beta is released or use the one you're planning to post?

I did start on the custom SSS code but I haven't checked if PW responded to my XX or YY question yet.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Isn't it possible to add extra icons to Melee side?

Like, if you check the "MY MUSIC" portion, you have an additional icon in Melee side to represent the "MENU" music.

Rather than replacing icons, why don't we add them?

Or is that not possible?

Top Bottom