• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving the Ice Climbers boards - We've got a lot of work to do

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
For IxxI's peace of mind, I am in the middle of testing Solo DThrow. I won't have too much free time over the next few days, but it IS being worked on, dude. :3

One interesting thing I've noticed so far is that you can't regrab ZSS unless DThrow is in Popo's stale queue at least once. I've also managed to chain to some pretty high %s with buffering, although not testing for escape methods, just DI + mashing Jump.

stoopdklutz - I've actually been wondering the same thing haha.

In talks with fellow smashers, we've come up with the idea of a Wall/Blizzard trap. I haven't tested it yet, but the idea is basically to (against a wall obviously) continuously desynch Blizzard with Popo, while using Nana to either FAir or FTilt them back into it depending on their DI. Does anyone think this would work?

It's not exactly what I had in mind, but if it works, it's a start...

r3d d09

Smash Master
I think another thing would be to classify characters for chaingrabbing speeds. as in light. med. heavy. so new IC's like myself can focus on timing and what not.
another thing i think would help is post a vid with the sound of your controller so we can get the speed down as well.
Reading threads and vids just say quickly. immediately, etc. when really it's a tiny bit different. . . Usually I'm too fast >.<

Smoom77

Smash Master
Red dog, one think about chaingrabbing is that you not gonna memorize the sounds of your controller, it's muscle memory. Someone want to confirm this?

At that blizzard>fair combo, I personally think that it'd be pretty easy to DI out before nana can get the fair. You're saying popo:blizzard nana:fair?

r3d d09

Smash Master
Red dog, one think about chaingrabbing is that you not gonna memorize the sounds of your controller, it's muscle memory. Someone want to confirm this?

At that blizzard>fair combo, I personally think that it'd be pretty easy to DI out before nana can get the fair. You're saying popo:blizzard nana:fair?
yeah, i'm trying to find my comfort zone with barely moving nana and what not, but i'm improving ;)
that is why i'd like to see a vid with a controller view and what not. but like i said. I'm improving.

r3d d09

Smash Master
i think my hands have reached their max muscle memory for all the stuff i do. *we are civil people, don't take this the wrong way*
But I'm still trying. I didn't decide to main IC's because they're easy >.>

r3d d09

Smash Master
Can someone make the SoPo Chaingrab Chart please?
Someone is making it as we speak... did i say this yesterday >.>

EDIT: about the whole video view of controller. I was saything this to get things rolling. making it easier for new IC's so they know in a sense what beat to use to CG.
Handing a controller to a new player and say "chaingrab". it will happen... but if you teach them, their progression will increase immensely. know what i'm saying?

Smoom77

Smash Master
I see it being useful for COMPLETELY new ICs that I have no idea whatsoever the timings, but not for anyone that sorta has it down. (ex: can do a few alts). Even without the video of the controller, I think they can do fine. Nothing will progress you more than practice.

r3d d09

Smash Master
I see it being useful for COMPLETELY new ICs that I have no idea whatsoever the timings, but not for anyone that sorta has it down. (ex: can do a few alts). Even without the video of the controller, I think they can do fine. Nothing will progress you more than practice.
So true, I just am having a hard time with the whole consistent alts after a week+, i was better in the beginning then i am now... but i did get back from getting my wisdom teeth pulled. way looped. xD
Hosting a tourny tomorrow, I will see how it goes in friendlies before attempting to go all IC throughout the tourny.
Thanks for helping out a nub ;)

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
That's right. Popo is always Blizzarding while Nana does appropriate moves to knock them back into it. tbh I think if anything, the problem would be getting more than one Blizzard to hit, the actual hitting with Nana part doesn't strike me as something hard. I should really get around to testing this.

About memorising CGs - recently (since getting back from Genesis/Evo, so VERY recent) I've been practicing CGs with the TV muted. My consistency has gone up quite dramatically. Also: I think it might be useful to find out what frames we should be pressing grab or doing whatever inputs. That way people actually have a sense of timing to shoot for, rather than just copying someone's hand movements/controller clacking.

r3d d09

Smash Master
That's right. Popo is always Blizzarding while Nana does appropriate moves to knock them back into it. tbh I think if anything, the problem would be getting more than one Blizzard to hit, the actual hitting with Nana part doesn't strike me as something hard. I should really get around to testing this.

About memorising CGs - recently (since getting back from Genesis/Evo, so VERY recent) I've been practicing CGs with the TV muted. My consistency has gone up quite dramatically. Also: I think it might be useful to find out what frames we should be pressing grab or doing whatever inputs. That way people actually have a sense of timing to shoot for, rather than just copying someone's hand movements/controller clacking.
about the tv being muted. I also noticed that today... in game muted tv and i got five Fthrows off before i got to the ledge. I was so proud of myself xD

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Small update - the DThrow CG data is coming along!

It's taking so long because I am doing many many tests and gathering lots of different kinds of statistics, as well as pushing how far you can really DThrow CG someone (I think some of you will be surprised :3). I think I'll just skim over the rest of the characters tomorrow and finish the bare-bones data and post that just for the sake of getting something up since it's taking awhile.

But for now, I sleep...

IxxI

Smash Fence
Good stuff e_alert.

Now we need someone to start the Desync thread, where we can all discuss desyncing.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
>.> The stage-disscussion was doing AMAZING! for the first 3 days. Now no-one is posting anymore :(
C'mon guys don't let it die!!!

r3d d09

Smash Master
It's coming along, the stage discussion. we just contribute when we can, giving little notes and what not.
the problem is, like stated before, there isn't enough IC mains.
If we had numbers like other characters. we'd be in business... but once we get the desync thread going, we're going to pwn how we can CG with our eyes closed, but doing desync blizz and what not xD

Sieguest

Smash Master
>.> The stage-disscussion was doing AMAZING! for the first 3 days. Now no-one is posting anymore :(
C'mon guys don't let it die!!!
^Worrying too much...the curse won't get it...(I think...)
It's coming along, the stage discussion. we just contribute when we can, giving little notes and what not.
the problem is, like stated before, there isn't enough IC mains.
If we had numbers like other characters. we'd be in business... but once we get the desync thread going, we're going to pwn how we can CG with our eyes closed, but doing desync blizz and what not xD
^Agrees on all matters stated above....:)
Can't wait for the desync thread! :)

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
*sigh* I swear Marthage you go inactive for a while no-body posts you come back 1000000 people post in the stage disscussion makes it look like I was worrying about nothing >.>:urg:<.<
So who's gonna crack and make that De-sync discussion thread?

Sieguest

Smash Master
*sigh* I swear Marthage you go inactive for a while no-body posts you come back 1000000 people post in the stage disscussion makes it look like I was worrying about nothing >.>:urg:<.<
So who's gonna crack and make that De-sync discussion thread?
I'm lucky I got internet up here...so I'm going to make use of it! :laugh:

Why don't you make the De-sync thread eh?

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Why don't you make the De-sync thread eh?
=/ I'm scared of failure. I don't think im that good in the metagame with the ICs (lol I don't even have a main lol) and I think I'll mess it up somehow.
I think you can tell by now that I have TONS of self-esteem:ohwell:
If you make it I'll help >.>
My new famous quote.

Sieguest

Smash Master
=/ I'm scared of failure. I don't think im that good in the metagame with the ICs (lol I don't even have a main lol) and I think I'll mess it up somehow.
I think you can tell by now that I have TONS of self-esteem:ohwell:
If you make it I'll help >.>
My new famous quote.
Not pro enough...
I know the theory, but I can't put it into action half the time....
needs moar practice! :p
I nominate Fence for the De-sync thread

Sieguest

Smash Master
I think we should make a whole thread dedicated to Desyncing. Someone can make a video to complement it.

I think we should tell people what kind of desyncs are the most dependable, different combinations (Ice blocks, blizzards, smashes, tilts, aerials, etc.), when to use desyncs, and that kind of thing.

This will open up more options than just the average desyncd blizzard to grab. From what I hear, Hylian uses desync's NAir's and BAir's. I would like to see how this is effective, and I'm pretty sure anyone will want to know how that works.

Let's get IC's to top tier people.

Edit: If someone will make the desync thread, I'll gladly give in my input. I'll even make it on my own with the help of you guys, if everyone else is lazy about it. T____T

EDITEDIT: I feel as though I'm the only one giving input at all. xD
Didn't I just post here saying why I can't do it?
hmmmmmm...Iunno
Discuss?
I think you're really good for it though! You know a lot about desyncing! :0

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I could jot some stuff down if you want. It might take a bit though. I tend to learn things from when I play.

Some useful things I've been doing recently are:

1) Instead of doing desynched blizz to blizz I've been replacing one of the blizzards with nair. So I desynch, sh blizz with nana then run forward and nair and it drags her along. I pull back as I'm landing and input another sh blizzard from nana at the same time. This allows you to keep the same wall effect while having one of your climbers be in an animation for a shorter time meaning you can react to more things.

2) Start of the match I like doing a starting desynced IB, running after it, then doing a full hopped bair falling back and having nana blizzard as she full hops up. I then full hop with a retreating nair and have nana blizzard as she passes me. This is the same concept as the other one but with full hops and the timing is a lot different.

3) Replace either one of the above to nair/uair with Ice block. Doing retreating full hopped desynced IB/Blizzards is surprisingly very hard to get past. You're not always in the super long blizzard animation and can react to almost everything.

IxxI

Smash Fence
I could jot some stuff down if you want. It might take a bit though. I tend to learn things from when I play.
What did I tell you guys?

Also, really good stuff Hylain, it will give me a lot more options.

A few questions though, what exactly do you mean by "pull back"? You can do retreating full hopped blizzards?
Does that mean, run away>desync>blizzard? I'm just getting the idea that you're moving backwards the same time you're in the blizzard animation.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
What did I tell you guys?

Also, really good stuff Hylain, it will give me a lot more options.

A few questions though, what exactly do you mean by "pull back"? You can do retreating full hopped blizzards?
Does that mean, run away>desync>blizzard? I'm just getting the idea that you're moving backwards the same time you're in the blizzard animation.
He means that once Nana is doing a Blizzard, then have Popo run the other way. She can't escape her "box" on her own free will, so as Popo moves said box as he retreats, she'll be dragged along.

And I would definitely start a desynch thread myself if I actually had adequate knowledge of the metagame. As Marthage puts it, "not pro enough". I will at least try to get in on whatever discussion shows up about it, as I can see desynching as quite the powerful tool.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Good stuff Hylian....you just gave me motivation to pull out my wii now.....

hmmmm.....I'll concede to letting fence stay away from fame...

Top Bottom