• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-Improving Georgia Brawl- *updates*

Purple

Hi guys!

This first post is constantly updated, please give it a nice read :)

Every update has *NEW* in front

Life Comes First
Get your Life together before you decide to do anything competitively. Most well known smash players tend to have either a decent paying job, good grades, is in college, has already gotten out of college and has money saved up, etc. Pretty much saying, Smash brothers isn't their entire concern. Only thinking about Smash Brothers sets you up for failure.

Since Georgia is full of high schooled smashers, if your grades are high, and you have your room clean, etc. Why wouldn't your parents let you go to a tournament? If they won't let you go to tournaments, why wouldn't they let you do gamebattles or something on wifi? Either way you'll still be competitive and will get better.

No Johns
Don't make excuses to your loses, look in yourself and change your mistakes.

Play to Learn
While camping with Metaknight almost always assures a win, you won't learn anything from doing so. There will come situations where you'll approach a bad match up in brackets, or just be playing friendlies / money matches with someone who counters your character. Unless you're a Wolf player playing against a D3 main. Work on your flaws. Those disadvantages make you improve faster in my opinion.

*NEW* Do know however, that if camping is the way to win, then do it. In a competitive notion, you are playing to win at all times, regardless if it's against a Ga Smash player or an OoS player. We are not in our own little world where no one camps, and no one counterpicks characters, it DOES happen!

Try New Things
Playing the Game cut and dry won't help, testing out new things will. Keep your gameplay fresh by playing new people and trying new things. It improved your unpredictability and you'll begin to develop a style of playing your main.

*NEW*Words From Marty (GA_Peach)
but to improve the community, skill-wise, everyone has to play each other a little more. studying matchups is key in any game, and smash is no exception to this. i see most players in this state don't even attend smashfests or any kind of gatherings. being in high school/parents don't like your hobby is the most general excuse i hear. find a friend that drives or ask people to give you a ride. i know quite a few in the Melee community have been there to drive me a long distance when i didn't have my car(ex. Tim and Sleepy). just playing isn't enough. when you play, you HAVE to learn from your mistakes. i see too many people in this state fall for the same traps over and over again. when i beat people, i always try to tell them the major points that i took advantage of in order to beat them, so then they can improve. if they get better, then i get better people to play against. it's really that simple.

People SHOULD do it simply because it is such a giant part of the metagame(which further confuses me as to why you people continue to support the game as a competitive game, but that's another argument.) bottom line, we have to use every thing available in the metagame to make each other better. that is another reason GA does not get better. people don't practice to their full potential(i.e. won't camp during casuals, won't be "cheap", etc.) if you don't practice against it during casuals, how will you be prepared for competition?
*NEW*
Willing Rides

You have to ask these guys for rides, and of course the usual gas money. But they're usually down for helping people out.
Tim(Desu)
Lounis(Biglou)
Alex(XIF)
Luffyfan eventually >_>

Community

Be Generous
If spotting someone money, or passing out rides to tourneys improves our community (and is safe on your pocket, hence why you should keep your life straight). Give it out. Make plans with your fellow smash bros to carpool ideals and how much gas money should be needed etc. If you're really feeling nice don't ask for gas money. It's all to help the community.

Note mistakes
When you beat people in brackets, you win due to outsmarting them, exploiting their mistakes. You don't have to do this if you don't want to. But tell them what they were doing wrong. It shows respect and brings strong ties among smash players.

Respect Each other
You aren't going to like everyone in the smash community, but respect them. Don't start **** outside of the forum.

*NEW*
Words From s0ft
One major thing I have noticed and Chaddd said this a whiiiile ago but I didn't really see what he was talking about untill recently. SUPPORT!!
We need to support our fellow Georgia smashers. That includes helping them to improve there game, but mainly cheering them on during tournaments. Especially when they are playing oosers. There is not a greater feeling imo then playing an ooser knowing that all of Georgia is behind you fully supporting you! Chaddd and Biglou are GREAT examples of what that means.

Recently Chaddd has seen me having a hard time in a trny match or getting frustrated, come over and given me a little advice and reminded me to stay calm, and then I will usally go on to win that match. Support makes a big difference!

And BigLou practically watched all my melee matches in florida, even though he was only there for brawl!

To me that is another major thing that rarely ever gets touched on....
We are here to help GEORGIA players, not our favorite player from florida or south carolina or midwest or something....

If we all band together and help each other we are going to improve a lot faster, then with the every man for himself thing that georgia has going right now....

This is teams not a free-for-all.

*NEW*
Dip into each other's games
For the most part, a great deal of melee players although not liking brawl in the sense of competition, still play Brawl against scrubs taking on occasional money matches. A great example of this is Fullmetal / Fullmetal - Dogysamich. Who are set as our barline for singles and teams. They know the basics and serve to people who are trying to get better as the first step to becoming known in Georgia Smash, and Brawlers, dip a bit into Melee, it does help more than you imagine. First off it's a fun game just like brawl, on top of that it requires skill and a slight bit of dedication. If you're not willing to at least learn a bit of tech for one character, and learn how to not get punished in melee, you will probably continue to get punished in brawl.

No more melee v brawl comments. We're smash gaming as a whole. Respect that.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Once I get my car, I'll be happy to lend out rides. Also, with summer coming up, I'll be free!

Going competitive is fun...

This place owns GameFaqs anyday.

And...I've really got no problem with people, unless they hate furs for one reason or another.

Then, ****'s going down.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Me and Jamaal will continue to edit and bump this with more useful information about the community and improving in smashbors

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
What is the point of this. We just need more people.

I agree with the community section though. Feedback is always GREAT.

Purple

Hi guys!

i'm going to give you a good reason why and i hope you have the time to read it.

Having a large community might always seem like a good idea. But with a large community comes large responsibility. More panelist to judge each person, more people who might need rides to tourneys. If we have 20 people who are constantly coming, Georgia can be a strong powerhouse to other states. But having let's say 100 or 200 people who aren't consistent, makes it hard for people to contact one another. People may not know who to specifically talk to about getting better. If our community right now is strong, it can open arms to more people and give them a great feeling about joining. we all as a group can barely hold our own and have a lot of scrubs who are constantly downing ourselves. What good will that do for our community? Do any of you guys who went to ICIV talk to @rest, GTR, Xele, Whizzle, or anyone else who doesn't constantly post here? Because those would've been great people to have in our community, but none of us showed them much respect outside of playing them in brackets and saying GGs. See how having respect amongst ourselves would help our community grow? People who don't know how to do that or might not consider it necessary might need to read this.

Player-1

Smash Legend

Well most of the first section dealt with getting better. If we had the largest brawl community in the country or even the word, but only 5 of them were great, then we'd be the joke state of brawl, and no one will take us seriously. If we had a community of 50 and 20 of them were great then that would give us more respect than having a large population that sucks.

-Ran

Smash Master
To give you a perspective, Louisiana has about 30 competitive smashers in our state. Of those thirty only about ten are contenders for placing in the money in state tournaments. We do a ton of traveling and our , monthly tournaments typically have 20-40 people in them. We typically go OOS with five or so of our best players to Texas tournaments when they pop up.

We're lucky though, we have a national level player [Lee Martin] to set the bar.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
luffyfan you should hit up dashdancedan.
he lives in farietta and regularly drives to waba and such.

there is absolutely no reason this topic should have been made other than unwillingness to read or listen, which seems to be a huge problem in the GA community.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
rofl brawl community went from high schoolers to high schoolers and a furry A+

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Try coordinating with Northern Florida for tournaments.
I'm very interested in seeing the south other than Florida (except South West Florida which I'm working on) grow.

PB&J

Smash Hero
the melee community seems to me that most of us act as we are too cool to play smash and go to tourny's ..all saying this at smashfest and @ tourny's..we ned unity in ga or something

bigman40

Smash Master
I'ma make it simple. Get your **** together so that you can step it up in smash. Simple as that.

Try coordinating with Northern Florida for tournaments.
I'm very interested in seeing the south other than Florida (except South West Florida which I'm working on) grow.
Let me know of a few tourneys you guys plan to host. When I'm at college, I'm closer to the FL border, so I will most likely end up driving there to play.

Also, we should get a circuit going for ATL South. I've heard almost every other region except for here that has one (and FL has their own circuit IIRC).

SleepyK

that wasn't exactly praising furries btw

not that i have anything against furries

iirc somasu.

he was a cool guy.

tubes

Smash Ace
the melee community seems to me that most of us act as we are too cool to play smash and go to tourny's ..all saying this at smashfest and @ tourny's..we ned unity in ga or something
This. Like I don't think Ive even seen half the players in Georgia.

that wasn't exactly praising furries btw

not that i have anything against furries

iirc somasu.

he was a cool guy.
Oh I don't mind furries. Attention whores on the other hand...

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
LOL. I'm used to hate.

I'm a former Gamefaqs user. Being a furry there was like walking into the KKK and saying, "Hey, guys. I don't support what you're doing, and I approve of Gay Marriage!"

You're going to get flamed a million times over. You learn to get used to it.

And... I saw the A+ and thought it was praise, XD.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
LOL. I'm used to hate.

I'm a former Gamefaqs user. Being a furry there was like walking into the KKK and saying, "Hey, guys. I don't support what you're doing, and I approve of Gay Marriage!"

You're going to get flamed a million times over. You learn to get used to it.

And... I saw the A+ and thought it was praise, XD.
I generally use "Furry" and "Moron" interchangeably.

SleepyK

it is kind of annoyingly flamboyant on how prominent you are

it would be like me doing

^-^

^-^

I ARE ASIAN KEKEKEKE LOLOLOLOL

RICE AND MANGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ^-^
^-^
^-^
^-^

^-^

HEY GUYS THIS IS WHERE I AM FROM
KAWEE DASU NEE?

KEKEKEKE ^-^-^-^-^-^-^

POCKYPOCKYPOCKYPOCKYPOCKYPOCK

yeah, that hurt my soul.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Octix is right, LOL.

I agree that when you beat someone, you should tell them what they did wrong, and a better approach, or just general tips.

It helps the community's lower-level players(me, XD) get better.

Yeah, I am kinda prominent about it...it just happens...
I should stop...

SleepyK

there's nothing wrong with being proud about who you are or whatever, but srs.
It reminds me of the asian girls in high school who acted ditzy and white-ishly goofy but with asian sprinkles (using japanese words, doing typical asian gestures and anime poses and ****) but carried a 4.0 and did well on the SAT.

YEAH I AM SO BELIEVING YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE JOKE I MADE YOU ARE TOTALLY NOT FLAUNTING YOU ASIAN-NESS IN A CLEARLY UNTRUE TO YOUR HERITAGE MANNER

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think it'd help A LOT if we could get a South East Regional Circuit going, we're one of the only regions who don't have one >.>

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
I concur. Southeast stuff isn't really well linked together.

Plus, SERC is fun to say.

...could someone explain a "Circuit" to a noob, please?

Is it just like...one big tourney? A bunch of inter-linked tourneys?

I feel dumb.

SleepyK

a bunch of tournaments in the south
winners get points

etc

Player-1

Smash Legend
I concur. Southeast stuff isn't really well linked together.

Plus, SERC is fun to say.

...could someone explain a "Circuit" to a noob, please?

Is it just like...one big tourney? A bunch of inter-linked tourneys?

I feel dumb.
Basically a bunch of inter-linked tournaments, well kinda. There are tournaments and they're put into the circuit. I'm not sure if there's a 'winner' for the circuit or anything, I just know that these tournaments get pretty big when sponsored by the circuit >.>

Top Bottom