• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improvement thread

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
This essentially a thread for listing/discussing the things you think you need to work on.

I made this thread because I'm emo and I bag on myself constantly.

But in all seriousness, I've been kind of inactive in Brawl, but starting to get back into it. And I honestly feel like a really bad player, I realize that I'm doing all sorts of crap OoS when it's completely unnecessary, I just feel like I can't adapt all too well in the middle of a match. And I misjudge crap a lot, I have a hard time following people in the air, too. I just feel like I don't do much right in a match lol, like I do absolutely stupid crap.

Discuss I guess xD

tekkie

Smash Master
I'm terrible at adapting mid-match. I roll too much. I don't space well enough. I don't bair enough. I land incorrectly, resulting in a grab or a hit sometimes. I never consider my opponents' characters' weaknesses.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Lol, I was thinking about something like this before.

FH/DJ game - I really need to do something besides SHFF bair all the time, wolf's FH/DJ game is much more versatile.

SideB tricksies - Just to be cooler, y'know.

Jumpshine (OoS in particular, along with other OoS options) - Feels a bit weird with my horrible controls (nunchuck ftl), but too useful to pass up. Usmash and fair OoS are the other things I should work on.

Not being an idiot - Self explanqatory.

Uhhh, I guess that's it, considering how much the last one covers.

:059:

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Not being an idiot could sum up my entire paragraph xD

Lol, SHFF Bair. It works sometimes, when you're in control. Just jumping and not doing anything else in the air is a fine option too.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I am working on speed and buffering, accuracy of hits, and learning hitboxes of opponents

Vista

Smash Journeyman
Play more gay

More side B tricksssssssssssss (I have plenty but I need to practice telestep cancel and stuff LOL)

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I just need to improve on finding out what else to improve. Every time I find a flaw in my gameplay with Wolf, I fix it the next day. Then it catches my neighbor, who I play against constantly, off-guard and I win most of my matches that day, then he fixes a flaw in his gameplay and beats me a lot, and we go back and forth... for now, I really need to work on my spacing. Kind of hard to work on spacing against a DK, but I'll manage.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
I need to learn to scar and telestep correctly, and not the horrible inverse which is up b downwards.

Don't laugh I primarily use Falco >_<

Asaph just needs to laser MOAR

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I don't know, I just suck at the game in general. Improve DI, maybe.
Thanks for reminding me to remember to stop using Uair to DI every time. I heard Nair is better for DI, but I usually DI starting from when I first get hit, so I don't wanna risk letting go of the control stick for a second to Nair :/

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I don't even momentum cancel yet, I keep trying but it's muscle memory and all the experience from earlier games made my air dodge always happen before my memory kicks in and yells "Momentum cancel already!"

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Arc I know how you feel man. I've been out of the scene for awhile as well and just started coming back into it. Actually thought about giving up wolf and going to another character, but he's just become to easy to comprehend to me, which in overall seriousness, is not a good thing.

-Less stupidity on my part.

-I need to simply play to win more then play to look good (Im pretty flashly to were it hurts me sometimes, which I need to stop doing).

-Revisit my basics and start over again since I've reached a wall of skill that is currently impassable until I learn the reason why.

-Start getting back into the tourney scene again.

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
Lol I always write the things I want to improve on a little sheet of paper, here are most of them:

-More stage control, I have to stay more in the center of the stage.
-I shouldn't run away so much for spacing, most of the time there are better options where I don't loose much stage control
-have to use my secret combos more often xP.
-less using of Fair, it's rly more punishable than I thought at first
-shine as an anti edgeguard
-more shine gimps with FF shine to DJ Bair
-more Nair edgeguard (but not the way you think)
-here and there I should use some Ftilts
-more Bair follow ups
-punishing of smaller mistakes
-more Fthrow
-better SDI
-predicting a kill move for DI
-FH shine aerial interrupt instead of SH shine (Jumpshine are very easy for me, and I play with the Wiichuck Ishy, how do you do them?)
-more Usmash punishing
-more versatile approachs
-more running shields
-more ground spacing by reversed running blasters
-Illusion cancels as recovery
-reversed blaster as an anti juggling move
-more SH FF Uair conbos
-better power shielding
-more offline experience

There are of course several other things, but I think that's enough for now.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
-Not being afraid to blaster spam to frustrate my enemy
-Using b and z to pummel more during pummel "classic controller"
-Up smash to edge guard
-That dash up z thingy

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
-Not being afraid to blaster spam to frustrate my enemy
-Using b and z to pummel more during pummel "classic controller"
-Up smash to edge guard
-That dash up z thingy
Pummeling is not about mashing as quickly as possible, it's about timing so you don't need to use two buttons. And Usmash as an edgeguard lol, you mean that stage spike thing, don't you? But that is only good as a suprise Dacus, good opponents won't get hit by a simple Usmash at the edge. Edgeguard with mainly shine, blaster, Fsmash and Bair.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Things I would say I need to improve, use more blaster and smash attacks >.>

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
-have to use my secret combos more often xP.
-more Nair edgeguard (but not the way you think)
-here and there I should use some Ftilts
-more Fthrow
-FH shine aerial interrupt instead of SH shine (Jumpshine are very easy for me, and I play with the Wiichuck Ishy, how do you do them?)
Quite a list lol. Uhh, well, I guess it depends on your controls for jumpshines... it's most useful OoS imo so I jump with C and then downB. Kinda tough OoS cause I need two fingers (z and c), but manageable and worth it. When not OoS, idr what I do, but using c foir jumping is really helpful either way. What control setup do you use?

The things that I left in the quote I have some questions on...
1) Secrets are no fun :( what combos? lol
2) How do you intend to nair edgeguard, with the strong hits or the weak ones to interrupt, or something else entirely?
3) What would you use fthrow and ftilt for?
4) (not really a question) I was in the berlin airport for one hour, I was considering trying to find you so we could smash, but then decided that I'm an idiot and would rather not miss my connection flight xD

:059:

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
I use the regular controls with the cross as the c-stick, and I don't find jumpshine out of shield difficult, I just go quick from shield to jump =/.

1) Lol they aren't really unknown I think, I ask castor and he knows all of them, they start by the strong hit of the Nair used just before landing and follow up with dash grab, jab, Dsmash, Fsmash Dacus and that stuff, I think I already wrote about those here xD. Wolf has so many (almost) true combos <3.
2) with the strong hit, I used it some times and it worked. Jump of the edge and DJ Nair. It's quicker than Bair because you can't walk off facing back and the KB goes more horizontally. Nothing big but it's funny.
3) Mostly for variety, I almost never use those, and Ftilt is k at ground spacing and Fthrow to Fsmash or regrab works if you almost never use it.
4) ****, that would have been so great xD. Maybe next time? xP

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
I can't seem to pull off a sh advancing bair, or fair. I forget to use grab....I need to practice shine's moments of invuln. I need to practice. I need to get my controller to start GIVING ME TILTS INSTEAD OF SMASHES OH GOD WHY I SAID FTILT NOT FSMASH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Oh, and hello. Decided to stop by, primarily for the last reason, see if anyone had any tips for getting tilts to actually happen instead of a smash coming out...and to see how this forum is. AiB's doesn't seem to have many active folks >.>....

tekkie

Smash Master
Oh, and hello. Decided to stop by, primarily for the last reason, see if anyone had any tips for getting tilts to actually happen instead of a smash coming out...and to see how this forum is. AiB's doesn't seem to have many active folks >.>....
Practice barely moving the control stick in the direction you want. Make sure it doesn't hit the edge but it registers the side movement.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Well, guys, I guess you could say this is me trying to improve myself and make a comeback after not playing Brawl for...a month and a half.

Things I need to relearn are timed pummels, ledge hugging, actually using the blaster efficiently, and, finally, not doing "stupid things", as I have come to call them. I also want to try and learn how to telestep, cancel into blaster, just for the hell of it. EDIT: Oh, and I'd like to restart the flash cancel, short and far. EDIT: Oh, and must practice item boosting and boost smashing again too. >_<

I've got some work to do, it seems.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
1. Spacing Bairs better
2. showing off and doing unnecessary edge guarding (use the blaster >_<)
3.AC fair
4, Jab cancel (not worth doing online)

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Down b as in....Reflector? Well, there are a ton of threads on it already, but here goes;
1. Once you press DB, until the shine (aka reflector) appears, you're invulnerable.
2. It's got a pretty good range on your SIDES for doing damage n knocking back, but keep in mind top n bottom are defenseless.
3. If you need a last ditch effort to throw off an attack....try a shine. If you can get it starting, the invuln guarantees they won't be able to get out of the way in time if they decide to try an infinite, and then you can teach em while it was stupid to go on the offensive against a competent Wolf :p

Top Bottom