• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your gameplay! - Mario Peer Review

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Fireballs are basically a throwable sword. Most broken concept of PM, next to overalls.
[collapse=ok seriously..]
I'll watch it and crap laterish. Me no like twitch archives. Pain in the ass, they are. [/collapse]

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Actually I just found out that my matches were actually uploaded on youtube. Which means my older matches were probably recorded in the past, Sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC2dWVkT28w Vs Ness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQqg3lMmSBs Vs Snake (2nd match)
Snake video
You can chain grab him. If I remember correctly.
If you dair him, with those platforms, even if you're on top of them, dsmash. If they are low..It'll hit him.
Try to bait more. Better spacing, more DD, more wave dash. Snake is slow, so it's easier to space tightly against him.
If he's off stage, just bair him, unless you can fair.
Work on the approach options. ie: nair, fireballs, dair, uair on taller characters, spaced dtilt. Don't fair approach, unless you can really space it.
Always challenge his up B. He can't really do much about it, and he will take mad DMG getting back a lot of times.
Never up throw, always dthrow or bthrow and sometimes Fthrow.
Don't air dodge so much. Some of those were fine, just usually, just fireball or drop a dair/nair. If they wanna come after you, then maybe you'll wanna air dodge.
Bair to dsmash/fsmash is a thing
Don't down B close to the stage.
Fireball a bit more, snake can do nothing about it.
Only up smash light characters or at mid percent or if you're combing. It's not that good as a tech chase move.
Work on dthrow follow ups.
Etc

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm shapular. I've played PM sporadically since the first leak came out, usually trying each new demo out for a week or two before deciding I hate it, but when I played v3 I thought that they had finally gotten it right. I've been playing regularly since December or January. I'm a G&W main, but Mario is my best secondary. I used him a little bit back in Melee, then a bit in Brawl, and I loved playing as him in the first demo. I think he's a lot of fun and I love how naturally his combo game flows. I've been struggling against a good Ness player in my city, so I decided I would try Mario against him to see how it went. This is the second set I played against him in our weekly tournament yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_E4sOxDdp4&feature=player_detailpage#t=236

Re-watching it last night, it looked like I was spamming smashes a lot, which wasn't really my intention. I need to work in his tilts some more. I was also fishing for kills at times. I'm not really sure how to set up a kill against Ness. A few times when he was coming at me from the air I tried to fsmash him, but I underestimated the range of Ness's fair. I'm sure you guys could write volumes about what I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing, but I think that's good because I kept the matches close and I feel like if I get a little more knowledge and practice I could take sets off of him consistently. I'd appreciate some general criticism as well as some specific matchup advice. In particular, I don't really know what stages are good for Mario in the matchup and what I should ban.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
The best advice I can give you is that you should main Mario, G&W is terrible, but seriously, I'll edit my post with my critique of your match in a sec.

Ok so here's some of the stuff I noticed:
-You fish for raw fairs too much, you have multiple ways to combo into it (i.e. dthrow, and dtilt against floaties, uthrow against fast fallers)
-Go for more grabs, you didn't go for a single grab as Mario, and his grab game is amazing, he has a kill throw, two combo throws, and chain grabs on a good portion of the cast.
-Throw dtilt into your mix of tricks it is one of Mario's best pokes and combo starters, experiment with it.
-Don't be afraid to jump out and bair your opponent when they're recovering, there isn't much Ness, or many other characters can do about it.
-Jump less and dash dance more in neutral.

Edit: Here's some more of my matches, as usual I'd really appreciate some critique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lm0xZXTKX8 Xion and I were screwing around for most of these sets, but when I went Mario was when I started playing serious, Mario matches start at 19:20.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Don't come here telling people who to main. All the characters in this game are all tournament viable and they all have an equal chance to be successful. In regards to G&W, Nintendude has had great success with him, he's taken games and won sets against a good amount of notable players. Check him out, and educate yourself. Shoots.

Also, what you said about characters not being able to challenge and or "not be able to do anything about it," Mario's bair is completely untrue. There are plenty of characters that can contest it and some can kill you and or put you in a very disadvantageous spot. A few of these characters would be, characters with more than one jump, Mewtwo, characters with tethers that aren't Olimar and more. Don't just say random **** and hope people take you seriously.

Also, your game is 30mins long and you didn't even say when you played mario. I don't think anyone is gonna watch your video for the mario part, if you don't specify when it is.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Don't come here telling people who to main. All the characters in this game are all tournament viable and they all have an equal chance to be successful. In regards to G&W, Nintendude has had great success with him, he's taken games and won sets against a good amount of notable players. Check him out, and educate yourself. Shoots.

Also, what you said about characters not being able to challenge and or "not be able to do anything about it," Mario's bair is completely untrue. There are plenty of characters that can contest it and some can kill you and or put you in a very disadvantageous spot. A few of these characters would be, characters with more than one jump, Mewtwo, characters with tethers that aren't Olimar and more. Don't just say random **** and hope people take you seriously.

Also, your game is 30mins long and you didn't even say when you played mario. I don't think anyone is gonna watch your video for the mario part, if you don't specify when it is.
First of all it was a joke, but I don't agree that all characters are viable, most of them yes, but I legitimately feel that if you want to take this game seriously at a competitive level then playing G&W, Bowser, Ganon, or ICs is a waste of time and that's coming from someone who mained Bowser since 2.1 and dropped him in 3.0. As for Nintendude his tournament results have been significantly worse since he dropped Peach, and his G&W isn't even that good, Dakpo's is way better.

Can you give me some specific moves that beat Mario's bair? In my experience it is safe against Mewtwo and will gimp him if he's used his second jump and you can use it to punish tethers when they're reeling in, in fact I would think it would be less safe against Olimar because his tether has a hitbox. Like the only things that have beaten it outright in my experience are Fox's and Falco's bairs, Ganon's uair.

As for my game, it's not hard to just drag your cursor over to figure out when I was using Mario, but I'll go back and edit when I started using him also instead of complaining about that, I still have two more matches I've been seeking critique on -_-

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
I still do well enough with G&W. I beat the people I should beat usually. My philosophy is that you can play anyone in this game because even if they suck now they'll be good eventually, but maybe that's unrealistic.

I did try out the bair last night against Lucas. It works before and during the missile, but I got hit when I did it during the missile. Maybe it can be spaced so you don't get hit, but if I trade with Ness I'm going to get killed. I'll probably stick to cape or a smash, maybe even fair, unless I'm sure I can hit him with the bair before the thunder hits him.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Well that's what I meant is to try to hit him before PK Thunder 2, I probably should've clarified that.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
First of all it was a joke, but I don't agree that all characters are viable, most of them yes, but I legitimately feel that if you want to take this game seriously at a competitive level then playing G&W, Bowser, Ganon, or ICs is a waste of time and that's coming from someone who mained Bowser since 2.1 and dropped him in 3.0. As for Nintendude his tournament results have been significantly worse since he dropped Peach, and his G&W isn't even that good, Dakpo's is way better.
Shouldn't joke about the viability in this game. This ain't no melee.

Can you give me some specific moves that beat Mario's bair? In my experience it is safe against Mewtwo and will gimp him if he's used his second jump and you can use it to punish tethers when they're reeling in, in fact I would think it would be less safe against Olimar because his tether has a hitbox. Like the only things that have beaten it outright in my experience are Fox's and Falco's bairs, Ganon's uair.
Lucas's shine, mk's many options, that are complimented by transcendent hitboxes, m2 nair(?), projectile characters, its "decent" against ivy, but she can kill you for trying it, disjoints, people who have good mix ups option recovery etc.
As for my game, it's not hard to just drag your cursor over to figure out when I was using Mario, but I'll go back and edit when I started using him also instead of complaining about that, I still have two more matches I've been seeking critique on -_-
I dragged it a few times. I was about half way through with the video so and I just stopped trying all together.

Nintendude's G&W isn't even that good
He's good. wdhlol

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Mewtwo's nair doesn't beat Mario's bair unless you space it really poorly, Mario's bair is disjointed.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I mean he can hover while he's nairing to throw off your spacing, but the hitbox is roughly the size of his body.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Not sure if this is the place to ask this, since I couldn't find a Mario social.

I'm wondering, what is the generally agreed upon best version of Mario? Did he have anything notable in previous versions (i.e. like Charizard's 2.5 infinite glide) that has since been taken out? I'm making a custom version of P:M with the best versions of all characters in it. Thanks again!

Kyle Strand

Smash Cadet
NNID
soccer_tennis11
Hey everyone. I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to competitive smash and was wondering if I could get some tips on my Mario. I know that I need to implement Wavedashing more into my gameplay, but was wondering what others think. These videos were just a few I was able to record when playing with some friends.
Vs Wolf
Vs Ness
Vs Luigi 1 & 2
Much appreciated

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
If you haven't mastered the basics, it's pointless for us to watch.. Go check that pinned guide in our section.

shapular

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've got another video I'd like some critique on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpC3YTb5Cl8

I tried to implement all of you guys' suggestions, but I'm still not dtilting enough. I could probably grab more too but Ness is such a hard character to grab. I'll try to look into some setups. Suggestions are welcome. I'm not sure what combos out of grab on Ness either. I think my main problem right now is that I'm having a hard time killing. I have very little practice doing fair combos, so that area of my game is weak. The other thing is I got killed with Ness's bat a few times out of my up B, maybe because I missed my sweetspots? I started to mix up my recovery after the first game and didn't get hit by it after that. What stages would be good counterpicks against Ness?

GeZ

Smash Lord
See
If you haven't mastered the basics, it's pointless for us to watch.. Go check that pinned guide in our section.
And @ shapular shapular one thing to keep in mind with Mario is that he can kill a lot of ways. Fair is really solid, but you don't want to catch yourself relying on it for the kill when Mario has so many other methods.

Think about your game as a branching path. You may combo and exert pressure to rack up that % for kills, but if at any point you push them close to a ledge you should be able to smoothly transition to putting them off stage and edgeguarding (which Mario does very competently). That is one branch. Or say you've got them at mid percent but they've got a good read on your habits. You can start incorporating tech that you didn't bring out earlier to remodel the way you navigate the stage and combat (like WL'ing aerials/ Footstooling/ WD'ing in and out of their range/ and mixing more grabs and feints into your approach). That's another path.

The last thing I'll say about it is that Mario can really kill early and easily if you know what you're doing. While his combo game seems to slowly move towards that Fair kill, what with his grounded normals putting them in the air, and his aerial normals pushing them higher, Mario can use different aerials to keep them closer to the ground to open up Fsmash/ Dsmash kills. On great thing to think about with Mario is that he's one of the only characters that can let you out of an air based combo, and let you move towards the ground to (what you think is) safety, and then WD out of the way of your defensive option, be it Dair/ Nair, and kill with Fsmash. I personally do that a lot just because it's unexpected and kills way early.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I always play like **** when I get on stream (I'm not johning, I just know I can play better than this), but I guess I'll go ahead and share this from what I believe was my third tournament:
http://youtu.be/fAsXrT9GKOA

Does anyone else get super nervous on stream/ know any solutions for it?

Edit: I get the same way when I play a guy that I know is a top player, so if anyone has a solution for that I'd be grateful too.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Alright, I always play like **** when I get on stream (I'm not johning, I just know I can play better than this), but I guess I'll go ahead and share this from what I believe was my third tournament:
http://youtu.be/fAsXrT9GKOA

Does anyone else get super nervous on stream/ know any solutions for it?

Edit: I get the same way when I play a guy that I know is a top player, so if anyone has a solution for that I'd be grateful too.
Just chill. You're there to have fun, so are they. The metagame itself isn't very far along so the only thing players can have over you is better fundamentals and thought. So you improve those and don't worry about winning or losing. It's a learning experience either way.

Plus if they're a top player and you're a no name and you take a game you get to use the fraud tag against them.

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's just our recovery and fireballs, which are both very overdone at this point.

We're just going to have campy Mario disappear, which is great because that's not what this character does, and have our playerbase become more dedicated or leave.

The nerfs are going to be a great thing.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Actually dair is getting nerfed too. I see the nerfs as very bad, since unsafe projectiles and a limited recovery are two of the things that made Mario bad in Melee, and I'll most likely be dropping him in 3.5 if they do get finalized. Imo his recovery isn't even good as it is now, people just suck at edge-guarding and would rather whine about it than adapt.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Fireballs do too much damage. PMBR isn't ******** enough to make it like Melee, so they're just going to tone down damage and usability a bit, which is good.

Also his recovery is insanity. He can come back from anything and mix up his options once he gets close to the stage with wall jump, sweet spotting, Up B past the ledge, cape, any aerial out of wall jump, etc. Mario is too accessible and has too many dumb things at this time. Nerfs will just make the character less dumb, and require a more dedicated fanbase.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Fireballs do too much damage. PMBR isn't ******** enough to make it like Melee, so they're just going to tone down damage and usability a bit, which is good.

Also his recovery is insanity. He can come back from anything and mix up his options once he gets close to the stage with wall jump, sweet spotting, Up B past the ledge, cape, any aerial out of wall jump, etc. Mario is too accessible and has too many dumb things at this time. Nerfs will just make the character less dumb, and require a more dedicated fanbase.
In the build I played his fireball damage was exactly the same, they just had more endlag. I highly doubt they will nerf the damage because it's the same as Doc's pills in Melee and they were mediocre at best.

There's definitely a lot he can't come back from, literally every character in the game, barring ICs has the tools to gimp Mario, people are just bad at edge-guarding him. Accessibility is never a bad thing, in fact raising a character's skill floor is blatantly bad game design, Mario shouldn't need to be nerfed when he isn't even a dominant force in the metagame.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Lots of matches recorded last week. I got some really good training in with the crew in a boss rush type manner (weakest to strongest player). Feel free to look and/or give some advice.

The links go from easiest to hardest. By the time I got towards the end, I was mentally exhausted (I played 36 sets total). So keep that in mind. One thing I will say is that that day was one of the BEST days I've played my Mario. Was thoroughly happy with the results at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENhMny3KLo0&t=16m13s Vs ROB (1 match)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLS3o0Mu5bY&t=6m40s Vs Zelda (2 matches)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbcVt8WPgNg&t=4m30s Vs Ness (1 match)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsLcfa40qBo&t=17m50s Vs Sheik & (1 match)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1fcWNOmvns&t=15m00s Vs Mario (1 match)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjKPCcae3Tc&t=7m15s Vs Wario & MK (2 matches)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGcPy0hfgxU&t=9m40s Vs Kirby (2 matches) NOTE: I did stupid stuff lol. Don't target that XD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9NLqNspoCU&t=21m20s Vs Mewtwo (2 matches)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQR5U78ud6g&t=5m0s Vs DK & Marth (2 matches)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO8euqqnWf8&t=12m20s Vs Mario & D3 (3 matches) Hilarious stuff in the first match! XD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rslqHgnr3QE&t=0m0s Vs DK (3 matches)

This is only a fraction of the matches I played total. @_@ I have played at least 72 games in one sitting X_X

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Woo, I finally got some matches recorded at our last biweekly.

First match is with my good friend and training partner, so we kinda goofed off and went to delfino the hyrule, still would appreciate critique as its me in my most comfortable setting with my most comfortable matchup.
http://youtu.be/6f4GqAgELaY

Second match is against an Ike who had three stocked me before at a Dallas monthly, so I went in with low expectations, switched to DK game two to mess around and see how easy he is vs swords. Would appreciate critique on game one as I just felt overpressured and couldn't get a comfortable distance away without side b rushdowns.
http://youtu.be/YKXlnOv7KAk

Super appreciative of any critique as its super rare I have footage where I'm playing well.

Edit: dang this threads been silent for a while til now.

Last edited:

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
sooo im not really sure if this thread is dead or not but hopefully someone will see this.
Hello my Tag is AssTAStic, ive been playing since 3.0 and been competitive for a short a time about a year. i play mario because ive played him since i first played smash 64 so he felt like a natural choice.

looking to be critqued on 3 matches. Sorry but they're in twitch VOD format so it might be a bit irritating to watch.
VS/Charizard(Kysce)
http://www.twitch.tv/ctstockexchange/b/645805476?t=0h23m51s
vsDDD/Peach(LingLing)
http://www.twitch.tv/ctstockexchange/b/645805476?t=1h5m10s

vsDK(Poob)
http://www.twitch.tv/ctstockexchange/b/645805476?t=1h19m10s

Im especially looking for points on the DK match as well as the Charizard match( he ended up taking me out in losers). I'm finding it difficult to get in on charizard, due to his jab and nair. I think I need to improve my punish game overall and, my off stage/gimp game needs alot of work. Also i don't make the most of my stage control and drop jab pressure grab setups that i really shouldn't.....and i spot dodge way too much.

would love to get input from others on how i can improve.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
@ AssTAStic_ACA AssTAStic_ACA That Twitch Channel is down.

@ KinGly KinGly
I just clicked on the second video. So I'll just call things as I see them:
Before I make the list, just having a decent bait and punish game, along with the knowledge to edge guard ike, would have won this game, easily. I'm going to alternate between two colored fonts, to make this a little bit easier to read and make it appear to be less cluttered.
  • Looks like you were whiffing a bit of your grabs. Make sure you get the range fine tuned into your mind.
  • You should try to be more mobile. It helps a lot against a character like ike how has only 2( I guess 3 perhaps 4 if you count some of what you can do with QD. I think utilt is like frame 9...the other 2 being grab (7 frames iirc) and his jab) moves that can be preformed in under 10 frames. He has a considerable amount of lag after many of his atks( he also has no real CC options, I mean he has grab, and utilt( if its under 10 frames which even then, is bad) so ike just pressing buttons is a bigger commitment than you might thing.
  • Might wanna work on B-Reverse up'b. It looked like, that's what you might have wanted when you died at the 0:57 mark.
  • Wavedash out of shield would do you some good.
  • The situation at 1:10 could have gone very diferently, if you waited with your up b. I feel like, if you went for the sweep spot, you would of had the chance to edge guard ike and potentially taken your first stock with a bair/nair.
  • After he landed on stage, you could have blown him up with anything. If you fsmash in the opposite direction, the fsmash goes a tad father, just as a fyi. If you knew he was going to land on stage, you coulda stood there, shielded, and bair'd him as well.
  • Work on spacing your moves on ike's shield. He has no options to well spaced moves and or pressure. He could try to grab... I mean, he could try to hit you with an aerial, but then you gotta factor in, how long he is gonna be in shield after that hit, jump squat, how long it takes to... you get the point... Also, keep in mind, almost 90% of the characters in this game have a shield release of about 14 frames. So that really is not an option for him to even use against mario.
  • Try to use fireballs at times, when you are trying to recover. It makes it so they don't just stand there and or hold ledge while they wait for you to get close to the stage. Once you get a good feel for the arc and speed of which fireballs fall, you'll be able to judge when you might wanna throw it out.
  • When trying to recover, don't be afraid to air dodge. When trying to get back on stage, tournament winners can be decent. Learn to prefect ledge dash and pop up from ledge with aerials, uair isn't that great for this and bair can be ok, if you are good with hitting with the reverse hitbox. Simply standing up on ledge, can be alright to. Make sure to mix up your ledge options.
  • Make sure to L - Cancel evrrthang.
  • Don't try to force kills. At one point, you just went for fair, like 10 times in a row. Dtilt>fair/nair or even a stray nair/dsmash could have done it.
  • If ike poorly spaces his aerials on shield, that is ether a free grab or up smash out of shield. Alternatively, you can up b out of shield. But the other 2 options give way more punishment and should always be done instead of this. Against other characters, you may wanna do up b tho. ex spacies
  • Use more grabs.
  • Dsmash is your fastest smashatk. Remember this.
  • Look at ike's frame data, specifically, his up b data. With this in mind, edge guarding him will be very easy. Just don't be afraid to go deep.
  • Try to cross up aerials on his shield. Anyone's really. Dair is great it and nair can get it done as well.
  • Don't be afraid to grab ledge. RAR wavedash (holds towards ledge) is a very effect way to get to ledge fast.
Might as well add, I only watched all of the first game, of the second video; once.

Last edited:

No~m

Smash Rookie
Hey all! My tag is No~M, I'm originally a Brawl player but have gotten more into Project M over the last couple years and started going to tourneys in the last 12 months. I love the fundamental nature of Mario and started maining him in 3.02 when he was a bit overwhelming. Stuck with him for 3.5 despite the various (but well-placed I suppose) nerfs, and I'm super stoked to keep improving.

Here's a link to a 2-0 set I won at my local monthly a couple weeks ago (Mario vs. Link), only recording I have right now:

http://www.twitch.tv/projecttoronto/b/653788631

Game 1 is from 1:26:30 - 1:31:00 , Game 2 is from 1:31:35 - 1:35:10 .

I think I played well but missed a few L cancels, dropped some grab conversions, and approached with nair a bit too much.
I think at this point it's the mental side and match-up knowledge that's limiting my progression as opposed to tech skill, but let me know what you guys think.

Thanks so much for any critiques or tips in advance! Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
hey No~m you can time stamp twitch VODs by putting a this(?t=1h5m10s) at the end of your url. Just switch up the numbers accordingly.

some stuff i noticed.

1:27:39 nice cape.

1:28:17 you didnt have to be in his face for most of this. Could have avoided alot of damage.

second game there isnt much to say. Obviously you had a decent read on your opponent. Also good counter pick going to GHz.
will say at around 1:33:25 you could have just waited a lil and that edge guard could have worked.

1:34:11 i believe and on.
you had the game already and the momentum, but i feel you becamme a bit over zealous.

You have pretty nice combo strings, very creative. I noticed often after a Nair you would L-cancel, up tilt. Instead of that you could jab. Mario's jab is pretty good in PM and allows him to get a grab or a Dsmash(or a jab).

Also with link you want to Nair his Boomerang. The moment you notice he pulls it out, SH Nair approach.If you catch it at the right momement, Link may still be in his boomerang animation when you land for the L cancel. Not only does N-air cancel out the boomerangs hitbox, it allows you to get in and maybe get a hit. This is really important in this MU. You could start tearing down your opponents neutral.

Also learn to JC(Jump cancel) grab. It will make grabing during neutral less punishable and allows you to execute chaingrabs to there fullest. You could have gotten some more grabs if you had.

Just some food for thought. Overall solid win, your combo game is sick too.

If match up knowledge is something you feel you struggle in, go to the MU thread and ask about specific characters(if they were not already discussed&archived). Im going to be adding alot more to it after i finish finals, including a Link MU thread.

Last edited:

No~m

Smash Rookie
hey No~m you can time stamp twitch VODs by putting a this(?t=1h5m10s) at the end of your url. Just switch up the numbers accordingly.

some stuff i noticed.

1:27:39 nice cape.

1:28:17 you didnt have to be in his face for most of this. Could have avoided alot of damage.

second game there isnt much to say. Obviously you had a decent read on your opponent. Also good counter pick going to GHz.
will say at around 1:33:25 you could have just waited a lil and that edge guard could have worked.

1:34:11 i believe and on.
you had the game already and the momentum, but i feel you becamme a bit over zealous.

You have pretty nice combo strings, very creative. I noticed often after a Nair you would L-cancel, up tilt. Instead of that you could jab. Mario's jab is pretty good in PM and allows him to get a grab or a Dsmash(or a jab).

Also with link you want to Nair his Boomerang. The moment you notice he pulls it out, SH Nair approach.If you catch it at the right momement, Link may still be in his boomerang animation when you land for the L cancel. Not only does N-air cancel out the boomerangs hitbox, it allows you to get in and maybe get a hit. This is really important in this MU. You could start tearing down your opponents neutral.

Also learn to JC(Jump cancel) grab. It will make grabing during neutral less punishable and allows you to execute chaingrabs to there fullest. You could have gotten some more grabs if you had.

Just some food for thought. Overall solid win, your combo is sick too.

If match up knowledge is something you feel you struggle in, go to the MU thread and ask about specific characters(if they were not already discussed&archived). Im going to be adding alot more to it after i finish finals, including a Link MU thread.
Thanks dude, really appreciate it. Few comments/questions:

- Lol I hadn't realized the cape reflected the boomerang, I had just used cape to stall above the edge. Excellently unintentional
- I was definitely too close to him at that point, what do you usually use for Mario's OOS options? I've been mixing up bair, FH dair > uair, and up B, but have troubles with up B OOS because I turn off tap jump.
- Really like the nair > jab idea as opposed to nair > utilt, will implement
- I have a bad habit of cape gliding when setting up an edge-guard, and it almost never leads into anything. Would you suggest deep bair gimp attempts instead or just ledge-grab > invincible bair? Obvi it depends on the matchup though
- Speaking of matchups I have lots of trouble edge-guarding Ike, but I saw your earlier post about checking his frame data so I did, I found that the largest gap between active hitboxes on his up B was from frames 37-46, I imagine that is when he's jumping up to grab the sword? Then I suppose one should grab ledge just before the sword comes up, and then invincible dropdown bair during Ike is rising up?
- Like the SHFFL nair idea to cancel boomerang, thanks
- I know how to JC grab but may have missed it a few times, will work on it. Also I don't use it mid chaingrab (find it awkward) but it's worth the practice I guess

I'll check out the MU thread some more as well, thanks again! Maybe I'll look at some of your matches too if you're interested and see if I can offer any ideas :)

EDIT: Just tried to watch your games AssTAStic_ACA but the VOD's were taken down. Let me know if you have another source

Last edited:

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
Thanks dude, really appreciate it. Few comments/questions:

- I was definitely too close to him at that point, what do you usually use for Mario's OOS options? I've been mixing up bair, FH dair > uair, and up B, but have troubles with up B OOS because I turn off tap jump.
tbh you kinda want to stick close to link but only once you won the neutral. Until that moment you have to respect Link's range. He has a pretty nice jab, and his tilts are legit(also his grab is pretty scary, once you are in jab range). Once you win neutral stick to him like glue. Link is very comboable. If you get a grab you could theoretically combo him to like 50 - 70.

as for Oos options.......uuuuhhhh there isnt really much lol. There is Up smash Oos, but its situational imho. Im trying to find more use for it because i couldnt hurt if i landed one properly. Up b out of shield is good for fox shine pressure shenanigans. Frame perfect N-air out of shield is good too(i notice the CPU do it).

i also play without tap jump. Try to up smash out of shield by quickly pressing jump then flicking up the C stick. its awkward ik, i change my hand position for a sec to do it.

- I have a bad habit of cape gliding when setting up an edge-guard, and it almost never leads into anything. Would you suggest deep bair gimp attempts instead or just ledge-grab
in short yes. you jump out to trigger happy for the edgeguard
before waiting to read your opponent. Cape when you can but Back airs are sometimes a better options. grabing ledge to cover that option then drop down or jump up for the B-air.

Also invincible B-airs are good for edgeguarding certain recvoerys like links, in which the recovery move has a big hit box. When you first grab the ledge you are invincible for a couple of seconds. Try to time it so when you drop down for the B-air, you are still invincible.

also, JC grabs are your friends. Especially mid combo, it tightens up your CG/combo strings. Sometimes even at low percents you dropped CGs that you could have continued.

Last edited:

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
@ CelloLuCC CelloLuCC

FIrst its seems like you don't have a grasp on some of the Basic Tech such as Wavedashing, L- Caceling , Dash Dancing.

The Fox MU is not an easy one in general for mario. BUT its even worse without knowledge of AT such as Wavedashing Out of Shield(or Oos), which helps you get out of Fox pressure.

Neutral against fox is alot more difficult without B-air Wavelands, because it limits your mobility against him when you try to throw out moves.

Punishing fox is a female dog without Jump cancel grabs, because it allows you to follow up on fox on chain grabs. As well as fish for grabs in a less punishable way.

TLDR: it seems like you are a beginner and need to get better at the basics before the MU gets any easier for you. Keep it up dude. Hope to see improvement.

Edit: Btw you throw fox up at low percents. i noticed at 0:29 in the second video you threw him down. You Up throw Chain grab fox at low percents till about 40-50. In between there you can fit some up smashes. THen around 60 You can down throw chain Grab.

Last edited:
Top Bottom