• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Threads + Q&A

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
*Hmm*
I should do this too?

IYM!

Smash Lord
hello everyone,

i am IYM! (please dont forget the "!") i am a smaher from Chile and play this game since I was 11 years.
All my life i was a Link mainer and never i will change it, the reason for choose him was ( i will looks like a fan boy XD) Zelda Ocarina of time, that was an awesome game, and i get facinated with the story and battles, so i wanted do the same thing in smash, fight against the strongest nintendo characters. After came melee, and the story is the same.

Later i change my style to play smash. before a noob, and now a semi-pro.
Semi-pro because i never go to tournaments, but i am very confident in my skills, also i fighted with several good rivals.

Well, i love video games, zelda, metroid, F-zero, resident evil, star fox,rare ware games are my favorite sagas, and of course smash bros, i love the 3 smash games.

My dreams are :
play a relly dificult(very, very ,very + over 9000 very hard) Zelda, with an Ocarina of time style.
See Link in mid tier.
Play with Samurai Goroh in smash.
have a real Fire stingray (Samurai Goroh machine) that can easily reach the 1700Km / h.

really will appreciate this forum and I'm glad to have people who conpartan my love for smash.

IYM!

Smash Lord
'conpartan' es español por 'share'?
is "compartan", and yes that mean share:)

¿por que nunca me dijiste que sabias hablar español?:confused:

Bienvenido a Link boards, IYM! Puedo que jugar contigo alguna vez.
Thanks, sadly no, i dont have a wii :(

but i have project 64 with kaillera, we can play smash bros 64 in galaxy or bucle (Chile server):p

IYM!

Smash Lord
Realy???

well, to be honest the lag isnt a thing i worry about it, i enjoy play Smash whith new rivals

dont matter if i win or i lose, if the match was fun, i will be happy

Of course, if the Lag is Very anoyning..... that is another story

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I think Scabe said we should try to leave this for introductions and not make this a seocondary social thread.

But lag is pretty lame. At least when I played I had problems with WiFi playing a friend who lived a couple streets away.
No my Internet connection does not suck.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I think Scabe said we should try to leave this for introductions and not make this a seocondary social thread.

But lag is pretty lame. At least when I played I had problems with WiFi playing a friend who lived a couple streets away.
No my Internet connection does not suck.
Their connection might suck. Also there's a chance that some connections just aren't compatible, ive had people i just couldnt connect with. Anyway for the best connection its usually important for both players to have a Lan adaptor. Wireless is kind of junk and can receive interference.

NOmoreTAS

Smash Rookie
Kirby SAYS Hiiiiiiiiiiii
Im a smasher, i play all the ssb series and I play with Link in all the smash series (My fav is melee but brawl is OK). Link maybe is not my main char but yeah is my favorite.
The chars that I use are Snake (main), Link (2nd main), all the ssbb chars (exept ICs and pikachu)
Im From Peru (yeah). Im actually the champion of Peru (just of my country), also the best Link (also just of my country).
Deva is my hero.
I make TAS vids of ssbb.
My Tag is D.E.P.
Thats all.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hey and welcome. How bout putting up a couple of your matches in the video thread?

NOmoreTAS

Smash Rookie
i would like but i dont have something to record matches and they would be friendlies because tourneys aren't very common in my country. But if i have one b sure that i will post 1 (just FTW), also as i have said before im just the best of my country im pretty sure that there are a lot of link players that are better than me.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Wiimotes are no longer banned!! YAY!

Hey, Scabe, where can I find a list of tourneys taking place in NY in August? I'm going to participate now.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Whyyy does the Peach boards say Link's U-smash is practically impossible to DI out of when it's so easy a caveman could do it?

Edit: I love their 'did you know' subbies. Peach boards the bess.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Is this thread acting as a surrogate Q&A thread? I'll just assume it is.

This question pertains to all characters who can initiate a jab lock, but because Link's lock is iconic, I figured I'd get more info than I need here. (At least I expect more info than I need ;))

I'm aware of many setups for Link's jab lock, and they all necessarily seem to end with one of 3 moves:

- close range boomerang
- quickdraw arrow
- soft hit nair

Why these attacks only? Can't you initiate a jab lock after ANY missed tech in general?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Link has other methods of initiating a jab lock. He can use utilt to "push" shielding opponents off the edge of a platform. In theory he can use dtilt to spike opponents into the stage, but dtilt sucks and the odds of pulling off the spike is small (it's like Luigi's dair spike). In theory, any attack that causes a wobble animation (the opponent hits the ground and kinda bounces off the ground) can set up a jab lock, so even a Falcon Punch can technically lead into a jab lock, but nobody is going to get Falcon Punched and do nothing while they hit the ground and let you get close enough to start it.

I think in large part Link is known for jablocks because he has 1) a guaranteed setup into a jablock (throw bomb on opponent, footstool them into a nair, aka the "bombstool") 2) multiple ways to fairly reliably set up a wobble animation and be properly spaced to take advantage if they don't tech it (I think this is kinda the answer to the "why these attacks only" question), and 3) having a high damage jab lock due to Link's strong and long range jab and powerful finishing moves at the end of the jab lock that normally wouldn't be used, like a charged spin attack.

Here's a video with a little more information, if you haven't seen it.

/probably more info than needed

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Link has other methods of initiating a jab lock. He can use utilt to "push" shielding opponents off the edge of a platform. In theory he can use dtilt to spike opponents into the stage, but dtilt sucks and the odds of pulling off the spike is small (it's like Luigi's dair spike). In theory, any attack that causes a wobble animation (the opponent hits the ground and kinda bounces off the ground) can set up a jab lock, so even a Falcon Punch can technically lead into a jab lock, but nobody is going to get Falcon Punched and do nothing while they hit the ground and let you get close enough to start it.

I think in large part Link is known for jablocks because he has 1) a guaranteed setup into a jablock (throw bomb on opponent, footstool them into a nair, aka the "bombstool") 2) multiple ways to fairly reliably set up a wobble animation and be properly spaced to take advantage if they don't tech it (I think this is kinda the answer to the "why these attacks only" question), and 3) having a high damage jab lock due to Link's strong and long range jab and powerful finishing moves at the end of the jab lock that normally wouldn't be used, like a charged spin attack.

Here's a video with a little more information, if you haven't seen it.

/probably more info than needed

I see. Upon further examination, it seems the three attacks I mentioned are ways to force the wobble in a position close enough that you can jab, while still preventing them from escaping from the previous moves in the setup. If that makes any sense. x.x

Thanks much.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Again, those aren't the only methods to initiate a jab lock, but yeah, in general Link has ways to initiate that I'm pretty sure most characters lack and gets a lot of reward from successfully setting one up. Hope this helps.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well locking is something that nearly every character can accomplish. Some a lot easier then others. The "wobble" animation occurs whenever character hits the ground without from an attack as long as they dont air dodge, attack, or anything else that will right themselves after being hit. When they hit the ground there is a small window where you can do weak knock back attacks that have the wobble effect and require a standard getup animation. Mostly known is the jab-lock.

Its really hard to say what make an attack cause the "wobble" effect. But as far as i can say it has to be a weak knock back that doesn't cause the victim to stand. These attacks can be Jabs, Tilts, Aerials, and Projectiles. Pretty much anything that has a sweet spot aside from smashes can also potentially lock if hit with the weaker portion of the attack. Best thing to do is just experiment with your attacks and see what can or cant.

IYM!

Smash Lord
Guys i need help

peach is ****** me :(

i dont know how to face agains her, and, there is not a peach MU threat,so, i will ask help here

my bigger problems are:

-her priority, i dont know what moves are efective agains here priority
-Vegetables, the normal one is a problem, if she get my, is a gimp. and her Vegetable with stapled mouth sometimes kill me ugly
- her Usmash, are simply .. broken

i need help guys, some council or strategy, i tried all, but without result :c

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Her upsmash shouldnt be that much of a problem. It has such a small hit box. I would suggest stop being above her.

Her turnips are kinda hard to deal with if you let her just spam with them. Especially glide tosses that can lead into jabs, dash attacks, and grabs. When you get knocked off stage. Spam bombs and rang on your way back to prevent her from dropping turnips. And try to recover high. Since taking another hit is usually better then being gimpped. As usual DI is very important. Almost always DI up against peach.

In terms of her overall priority. I dont really think she has super priority aside from Fair. When she approaches with a float its always best to retreat into a Zair or something. Shielding is almost never a good option against peach as her shield pressure is really good.

To make that match up work at all you really have to space with Link and avoid being caught under her. Make really good use of Link's 3 projectiles over peach's 1.

I dont think its ever a good idea to try an beat Peach when she goes for a ground canceled aerial into jabs or something as every aerial of hers can be ground canceled.

Anyway, best thing to focus on is Spacing.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Keep in mind Peach must come to you. Spam projectiles and Zair defensively then base your attacks on how peach tries to avoid your spam. Utilt is a good move. Ftilt is better in this MU than most others. Have good DI, stay away from edges, and don't waste moves. Attack when Peach is dealing with Link's projectiles or peach will win with speed and comboing.

To stop combos DI sideways and up a little, TapDI the 'C' stick and hold the shield button, Link will Zair forwards even though you are DIing away. Nair is good if you are being juggled, same with air dodge>land>Utilt. Roll if you have to.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, this is a Q&A thread right?

If not, sorry.

Does anyone have a list of what the shield blocks? Like projectiles/anything else?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828

If not, sorry.

Does anyone have a list of what the shield blocks? Like projectiles/anything else?
I don't recall ever seeing one.

But yeah, it blocks projectiles, but only if you're standing still or crouching. As far as I know, it blocks all projectiles; ROB's lasers, the spacies' lasers, Zelda's Din's Fire (if it hits the shield, even if part of it hits you), Samus' missiles and Charge shot (even fully charged), Kirby's upB, etc.

Honestly, it's not quite as practical as you'd hope. You're better off avoiding or power shielding; standing still waiting for a projectile to hit your shield usually means you had the time to avoid it and do something else anyway, although it's occasionally useful (Samus fires a missile and charge shot back to back and they're going to hit you, but you don't want to drain your regular shield, etc.).

Rizen

Smash Legend

If not, sorry.

"Hylian Shield Guard is mainly a bonus that stops range attacks on unexpected occasions. Hshield is in effect when Link is already standing or crouching, not transitioning to those states. Link occasionally lets down his guard when standing still and puts his Hshield away when holding an item but keeps a constant guard if he’s crouching. If any part of a range attack hits the actual shield Link will be pushed back and remain unharmed (Fox’s lasers will push him). Link himself can still be hit. Explosions, including Snake’s missile, penetrate it but Link’s safe from moves that continue through like Razor Leaf and Robo Beam."

Every 'range attack' except explosions can be blocked provided the above conditions are met. Lucario's side B is considered a range attack but his Fsmash isn't. Only thrown pikmin are range attacks. If an attack can be reflected, Hshield can block it. But it rarely helps in competitive smash and is better for Subspace.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Thanks

One more, for DI + Momentum Canceling, wouldn't it be better to use airdodge instead of bair? Or is there something I'm missing?

Top Bottom