• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Love the new Impa design. I'm not an active Impa supporter, but I think if we were to get any other Zelda reps the only one I would want more is Pig Ganon and I wouldn't be upset if Impa got in over him.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Not digging the neck peice but really like the rest of the design. I do prefer the OoT design better but still a great take on the character nonetheless. Still would like to see added to smash but seems like we'll have to wait till 5 for that to happen ):

Mariuigi

Smash Rookie
Was never really an Impa supporter, but Hyrule Warrior's design (With the big sword) changed that.
It's so perfect that she's now tied with Vaati for my most wanted new Zelda rep.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to type about the Poe-looking person in my last post. Apparently they are named Wizuro, which sounds like Wizzrobe. Hopefully it is more than coincidental. Anyway, If Impa is a fusion of designs, and Ganondorf appears, he may be a fusion of designs too. That would be nice.
After reading BluePikmin11's idea of the inclusion of playable Zoras and Gorons, I wonder if "Hyrule Total War" inspired this game. A game devoted to wide-scale TLoZ combat seems random for Nintendo to consider marketing, so the popularity of "Hyrule Total War" could have convinced Nintendo.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
So I think she's now my most wanted character, now with that sword she's different from sheik but do you guys think outs in the realm of possibility to have 6 zelda characters? this would also open the door to another mario newcomer and the return of mewtwo

Mariuigi

Smash Rookie
So I think she's now my most wanted character, now with that sword she's different from sheik but do you guys think outs in the realm of possibility to have 6 zelda characters? this would also open the door to another mario newcomer and the return of mewtwo
I'm banking on the fact that Sakurai loves us enough to include Mewtwo after that (possibly intentional?) teaser during the Greninja trailer.
6 characters for the big 3 would be hype (Geno and Impa <3)
I comfort myself with the idea that Namco's help with development (and their engine that apparently makes balancing hitboxes easier for Sakurai) could lead to us having more characters than we expect.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm banking on the fact that Sakurai loves us enough to include Mewtwo after that (possibly intentional?) teaser during the Greninja trailer.
6 characters for the big 3 would be hype (Geno and Impa <3)
I comfort myself with the idea that Namco's help with development (and their engine that apparently makes balancing hitboxes easier for Sakurai) could lead to us having more characters than we expect.
Paper mario, I think geno's done

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Sadly, I doubt her role in this game will help her chances in this Smash4/5 (or any future Smash, for that matter). Unless Hyrule Warriors is canon.

Nevertheless, she is getting her first playable role. So that's a consolation prize if Ive ever seen one.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Link getting a scarf, Impa getting a... neck thing...

Do Japanese have some kind of symbolism around that, is new Hyrule getting cold for a change, or are these just supposed to look cool?

andimidna

Smash Master
Since the website is in Japanese, here's Impa's description translated:

Impa, Commanding Officer of the Hyrule Imperial Guard; Impa is the commanding officer of the Hyrule Imperial Guard. She is the attendant and vassal of the Princess Zelda. Leader of a family charged with supporting Hyrule's royal family from the shadows, she cares not for herself, and works exhaustively for the family and the Princess.

Starting from pulling out her long sword back handed, she disposes of her enemies with exact precision in quick, feverish succession. She is a sword master, with precise movements and footwork.

Her role, her character, her story, and her fighting style. Awesome.

I think all Hyrule Warriors artworks makes good avatars. Just give me Zelda's design, Nintendo!
Yea, I think they had a cartoon picture of Link and Zelda not of the game in the magazine. But other than mentioning her and her possibly being in the background of the first trailer, there is an odd absence of Zelda.

I'll probably make Shia my avatar in a few days :p

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Since the website is in Japanese, here's Impa's description translated:

Impa, Commanding Officer of the Hyrule Imperial Guard; Impa is the commanding officer of the Hyrule Imperial Guard. She is the attendant and vassal of the Princess Zelda. Leader of a family charged with supporting Hyrule's royal family from the shadows, she cares not for herself, and works exhaustively for the family and the Princess.

Starting from pulling out her long sword back handed, she disposes of her enemies with exact precision in quick, feverish succession. She is a sword master, with precise movements and footwork.

Her role, her character, her story, and her fighting style. Awesome.

Yea, I think they had a cartoon picture of Link and Zelda not of the game in the magazine. But other than mentioning her and her possibly being in the background of the first trailer, there is an odd absence of Zelda.

I'll probably make Shia my avatar in a few days :p
Hyrule Warriors really seems great, about how the characters are handled.

About the Zelda and Link picture, I can't recall this from any game.

Also, it's funny how Zelda have TP's Braid, OoT/WW "Lightning" hair, and perhaps SS/WW shawl. Link have no scarf, though, so... I'm not sure what this picture is.

And I had to beat you about Shia avatar :awesome: Her design is really great, especially her mask.

andimidna

Smash Master
Hyrule Warriors really seems great, about how the characters are handled.

About the Zelda and Link picture, I can't recall this from any game.

Also, it's funny how Zelda have TP's Braid, OoT/WW "Lightning" hair, and perhaps SS/WW shawl. Link have no scarf, though, so... I'm not sure what this picture is.

And I had to beat you about Shia avatar :awesome: Her design is really great, especially her mask.
:laugh:

Maybe there will be a prologue with a different artstyle sort of like Wind Waker?

(relevant bcuz impa will most def be in da prolog)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I guess so, but I'm now really looking forward Zelda's design, as it IS from Hyrule Warriors artstyle.

From the scans

From the official website

And as you pointed out, it's quite reminescent of Wind Waker intro.

Back on topic, I really love the fact Impa uses a big *** sword, but with precision! It really changes from all brutes. Yeah I'm looking at you SoulCalibur (I love SC, by the way)

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I love her new design. However, it feels like it's a little too late for her to make the roster. Cross your fingers for DLC I guess?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I guess it's never too late, Roy appeared first in Smash Bros. Same case for Metal Gear gekko. The question is how legitimate this game is in the Zelda franchise, considering it is a spin-off.

Four Swords is in the official timeline, by the way, so we'll see.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
There is no need to open a door that was never closed in the first place, a 6th zelda, mario newcomer and specially mewtwo had always been a likely possibility

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
man she is just lovely in hyrule warriors

It pains me so much that she was passed over in this. Her presence and role within the zelda series though cant be denied at this point.

Last edited:

Mariuigi

Smash Rookie
Fingers crossed that Sakurai has been keeping his eye on Hyrule Warriors while it was being developed. Maybe Impa could be our next Roy.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
One could wish she is the next Roy. Do find it amusing though nobody gave her the time of day until Hyrule Warriors announced her and its not even by Nintendo. Go figure somebody else realizes the full potential she has.

andimidna

Smash Master
One could wish she is the next Roy. Do find it amusing though nobody gave her the time of day until Hyrule Warriors announced her and its not even by Nintendo. Go figure somebody else realizes the full potential she has.
But we do have to give Nintendo some credit for at least trying to develop/improve/explore her character in Skyward Sword.
That's what actually started her small fanbase.

But now she's the only known non-Link Zelda character to be officially playable. Kafei doesn't count.
She's actually getting talked about, and her design is very likeable, so far, it looks like she'll be more prominent in this game than she was in Skyward Sword, I don't think she'll just be 1 of many playable characters, I think she'll have story importance.

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
Dat a Twilight Portal?
Playable Midna in Hyrule Wariors PLEASE!!! We can't get her in smash yet so i'd be happy to have her in this game. (Maybe we would get Princess Midnaa...)
And Impa would be so cool in smash she is really growing endless possibilities for movesets here.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Holy **** that is great!!

It even resembles her Skyward Sword appearance more than I ever thought!!

Is there any more news?

First Ike, now this...

There's is Impa official description, on the website, as Andimidna posted:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Holy **** that is great!!

It even resembles her Skyward Sword appearance more than I ever thought!!

Is there any more news?

First Ike, now this...

It's good to have you back, buddy. With all these good news, I'm taking Impa more serious as a SSB contender. Too bad it might be a little too late for Sakurai to add her at this point. :9

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Why do so many users think Impa ever had to be a Shiek clone? In OoT, Impa carried a knife and was more muscular than Shiek. Nothing implied Impa was lithe or ninja-like. If Impa had a moveset then, she would probably have wrestling moves, not ninja moves. She was probably heavier than even Adult Link! I am not sure what else she could have used. Since it seems fun, I may make a moveset for the vague OoT Impa. Maybe I'll involve some of her deeds as an elder in her older appearances. In an interview, Mr. Miyamoto stated Impa was meant to have a piece of the triforce.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Why do so many users think Impa ever had to be a Shiek clone? In OoT, Impa carried a knife and was more muscular than Shiek. Nothing implied Impa was lithe or ninja-like. If Impa had a moveset then, she would probably have wrestling moves, not ninja moves. She was probably heavier than even Adult Link! I am not sure what else she could have used. Since it seems fun, I may make a moveset for the vague OoT Impa. Maybe I'll involve some of her deeds as an elder in her older appearances. In an interview, Mr. Miyamoto stated Impa was meant to have a piece of the triforce.
Well she's part of the sheikah, a group of ninjas

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Impa trained Zelda in the Sheikah ways (or so it's speculated, at least). It's a perfectly reasonable assumption that OoT Impa used same techniques as Sheik.

(Also, Sheik has a blade that she never uses as well.)

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
It really disappoints me that Impa has been passed up throughout the Smash series. Her role within the Zelda series is prominent, to say the least, and both her importance and popularity is continuously growing.
It irritates me that she has been overlooked simply because of Sheik. People treat it like we can only have one or the other, when in fact, we could have both - especially now that the argument about how she would be a Sheik clone is pretty much dead, as she has this nifty new design and weapon.
The only thing that truly bothers me is that Sheik was added before Impa, as if she were somehow more important. It baffles me how one-shot characters such as Sheik are prioritized over characters who are integral to the series. In fact, besides Link and Zelda, I'm not a fan of how the Zelda series has been represented in Smash. It just seems like worthy characters have been taking a backseat to less important ones. (Ganon also comes to mind...)
But oh well. I still have high hopes for Impa. And if she isn't in this installment, I'm sure we'll see her down the road.

Top Bottom