• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Knowing you though, none of this will ever get through to your head. It's been said on various occasions by different people, and nothing has changed.
I'm actually expecting nothing short of "you just upset cause Dr. Mario/Waluigi/Wreck-It Ralph/whatever other character I happen to support that you don't sucks and Impa is epic :awesome:" as a response and then a continuation of Sheik bashing and Impa idolizing as if this post was never said.
Uh... Golden. Every time he says that, he's trying to get your reaction and you give it to him. If you stop reacting, he'll stop doing it.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Golden couldn't be more correct, though.

When he said Diddy Kong turned Impa into a plague, he's speaking the truth.

Every time someone mentions Impa or Sheik, Diddy Kong just waltzes in and plays the same broken record all over again: "Impa is the best and relevant hurr durr, transvestite/transsexual Sheik sux! Impa should replace Sheik because she's awesome! :awesome:"

And while it wasn't so much of a big thing in the first time, him continuing to do this for MONTHS has wore out everyone's patience. Even the few other Impa supporters around here that want her to replace Sheik (as stupid as I think it is), at least express their opinion in a civil way, rather than being awfully biased, bashing other people's opinions out of sheer arrogance and spamming large Impa pictures non-stop.

The cherry on top of the cake was last night when Diddy Kong compared me and Golden with Nazis, but I'm not really wasting my time with such pettiness, because it's really not worth my time.

I have stated my opinion on Impa several times, but Diddy Kong always spouts the same nonsense. It's not my fault he's stubborn as a mule.

This said, I'm done with this.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Diddy is largely responsible for the degrading Impa's popularity on SmashBoards.

Maybe that's why trolling the Impa thread and speaking out against her feels satisfying. ;)

CalumG

Smash Lord
In fairness, I could appreciate Impa as a playable character because to me she's one of the 'big 5' Zelda characters: Link, Zelda, the 'Demon King' (Demise/Ganondorf/Malladus), and then Impa and Tingle, as the two most re-occurring characters without Triforce pieces and in Impa's case, a fairly big character in Zelda since the beginning - though her relevance waned a bit in the Gamecube era.

Were she in, it would be great to see her as an amalgamation of her OoT and SS incarnations, with a red robe thrown in to reference to her appearance in the original game and her 'old' form in general.

That being said, I don't necessarily believe Impa has to take Sheik's moveset in any way. Currently it really does depend on whether or not they're going to go with Skyward Sword designs for the Zelda cast, TP-esque designs for the cast (a la the Wii U tech demo) or something else entirely, like making new incarnations of the characters for Smash (see: StarFox character designs in Brawl). My primary concern with Sheik's return at the moment is that it would be cripplingly out-of-character for Skyward Sword Zelda to transform into Sheik, being that she's a much younger, less-mature Zelda than those in OoT and TP and has completely different circumstances. I guess for me it really does come down to whether or not they can make Sheik 'fit' into the roster, because if they go the typical way of basing the Zelda character designs off the most recent generation of releases, then I wouldn't really appreciate Skyward Sword Zelda or Toon Zelda having a Sheik transformation.

But at the end of the day Sheik is a fan-favourite. Although I'm on the edge about her inclusion I don't doubt that the team will find a way for her to fit into the game and still feel consistent with everything else that's going on. Sheik and Impa don't have to be competition for one another; it does seem to be an entirely fan-made conflict that probably won't have any standing on the roster.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking at this out of context I was wondering how Diddy Kong being playable made Impa any less likely.

Impa has the best chances along with tingle of being a non-Link/Zelda addition the the Zelda cast but we have to wonder if there's enough desire for her.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
In fairness, I could appreciate Impa as a playable character because to me she's one of the 'big 5' Zelda characters: Link, Zelda, the 'Demon King' (Demise/Ganondorf/Malladus), and then Impa and Tingle, as the two most re-occurring characters without Triforce pieces and in Impa's case, a fairly big character in Zelda since the beginning - though her relevance waned a bit in the Gamecube era.

Were she in, it would be great to see her as an amalgamation of her OoT and SS incarnations, with a red robe thrown in to reference to her appearance in the original game and her 'old' form in general.

That being said, I don't necessarily believe Impa has to take Sheik's moveset in any way. Currently it really does depend on whether or not they're going to go with Skyward Sword designs for the Zelda cast, TP-esque designs for the cast (a la the Wii U tech demo) or something else entirely, like making new incarnations of the characters for Smash (see: StarFox character designs in Brawl). My primary concern with Sheik's return at the moment is that it would be cripplingly out-of-character for Skyward Sword Zelda to transform into Sheik, being that she's a much younger, less-mature Zelda than those in OoT and TP and has completely different circumstances. I guess for me it really does come down to whether or not they can make Sheik 'fit' into the roster, because if they go the typical way of basing the Zelda character designs off the most recent generation of releases, then I wouldn't really appreciate Skyward Sword Zelda or Toon Zelda having a Sheik transformation.

But at the end of the day Sheik is a fan-favourite. Although I'm on the edge about her inclusion I don't doubt that the team will find a way for her to fit into the game and still feel consistent with everything else that's going on. Sheik and Impa don't have to be competition for one another; it does seem to be an entirely fan-made conflict that probably won't have any standing on the roster.

I would probably prefer that they don't do an amalgamation but just have alternate costumes. I think OoT Impa's basic shape is close enough to SS Impa's to make it work. I definitely agree that there's no real reason to have Impa inherit Sheik's moveset. At this point, I'd much rather see Impa become a wholly new character.

I reallllly just want them to separate Sheik and Zelda so Sheik can have an OoT based design and represent that great and classic game and then let Zelda be designed like whatever is most recent. To me, it seems like a solution that would solve so, so many problems.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
I would probably prefer that they don't do an amalgamation but just have alternate costumes. I think OoT Impa's basic shape is close enough to SS Impa's to make it work. I definitely agree that there's no real reason to have Impa inherit Sheik's moveset. At this point, I'd much rather see Impa become a wholly new character.

I reallllly just want them to separate Sheik and Zelda so Sheik can have an OoT based design and represent that great and classic game and then let Zelda be designed like whatever is most recent. To me, it seems like a solution that would solve so, so many problems.
This is probably the best solution (meaning the one that will please the most people). I want Zelda characters to reflect their designs from SS (cause ohhhh man I like them), and as remnant from OoT, Sheik should return in that style. That being said, I'm kind of in favor of Sheik not returning because I don't want Nintendo to run OoT into the ground. I get that people think it's one of the best games ever and all that, I used to hold that opinion myself. But I think some emphasis needs to be placed on the present state of the series and its future, because they are both far different from OoT and they're, from some objective view, as deserving. If we're keeping in a one-time character from over ten years ago, what does that say about the current state of the series?

I could see someone saying that, following that logic, Impa could eventually be culled out in a future installment. I realize that, and would welcome a change like that. Zelda deserves some streamlining.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
This is probably the best solution (meaning the one that will please the most people). I want Zelda characters to reflect their designs from SS (cause ohhhh man I like them), and as remnant from OoT, Sheik should return in that style. That being said, I'm kind of in favor of Sheik not returning because I don't want Nintendo to run OoT into the ground. I get that people think it's one of the best games ever and all that, I used to hold that opinion myself. But I think some emphasis needs to be placed on the present state of the series and its future, because they are both far different from OoT and they're, from some objective view, as deserving. If we're keeping in a one-time character from over ten years ago, what does that say about the current state of the series?

I could see someone saying that, following that logic, Impa could eventually be culled out in a future installment. I realize that, and would welcome a change like that. Zelda deserves some streamlining.

Well- frankly, Sheik "representing OoT" is really more just a way for Sheik to faithfully represent her only appearance. Sheik's really just representing Sheik, and since she's a veteran character, very few people want to let her go. It certainly is true that if Sheik was a newcomer she'd have no chance of getting in, but as a two-time vet it's unlikely that she'd be cut.
I do agree that representing Ocarina of Time isn't inherently important, but representing the Smash Bros. series through retaining veteran characters is. People really, really want Mewtwo and Roy back, and they were only in one Smash game. Sheik's probably not going anywhere... but she definitely could be incorporated better.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
Well- frankly, Sheik "representing OoT" is really more just a way for Sheik to faithfully represent her only appearance. Sheik's really just representing Sheik, and since she's a veteran character, very few people want to let her go. It certainly is true that if Sheik was a newcomer she'd have no chance of getting in, but as a two-time vet it's unlikely that she'd be cut.
I do agree that representing Ocarina of Time isn't inherently important, but representing the Smash Bros. series through retaining veteran characters is. People really, really want Mewtwo and Roy back, and they were only in one Smash game. Sheik's probably not going anywhere... but she definitely could be incorporated better.
Yeah, I won't vouch for anything I said actually coming to fruition. I can understand your argument about Sheik being a two-time Smash veteran; it's a strong argument. I just wouldn't like her inclusion to factor out new representation, which I regard as a possibility. I see it as pandering to a fanbase that cannot let go of the past, though more of Zelda's than Smash's.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah, I won't vouch for anything I said actually coming to fruition. I can understand your argument about Sheik being a two-time Smash veteran; it's a strong argument. I just wouldn't like her inclusion to factor out new representation, which I regard as a possibility. I see it as pandering to a fanbase that cannot let go of the past, though more of Zelda's than Smash's.
Mind that Sakurai doesn't care much about relevancy or recentness.

And I think Impa replacing Sheik due to recentness is throwing her potential off the window, since she could have her own moveset combining ninja techniques and magic. Sheik has a unique ninja-esque moveset that, if placed on Impa for replacement's sake, would seem lazily tacked on her, especially when we see Impa using magic powers alongside agile moves.

Impa is a good candidate for a mage fighter character and have a moveset that would incorporate knifes, magic and martial arts in one. What other character offers this potential?

Impa getting in as a new character is fine by me, but it seems most of Impa's support is just clamoring for a Sheik replacement for recentness's sake. It's a narrow minded point of view and, like I said countless times, pays no attention to Impa's potential as a standalone fighter.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
Mind that Sakurai doesn't care much about relevancy or recentness.

And I think Impa replacing Sheik due to recentness is throwing her potential off the window, since she could have her own moveset combining ninja techniques and magic. Sheik has a unique ninja-esque moveset that, if placed on Impa for replacement's sake, would seem lazily tacked on her, especially when we see Impa using magic powers alongside agile moves.

Impa is a good candidate for a mage fighter character and have a moveset that would incorporate knifes, magic and martial arts in one. What other character offers this potential?

Impa getting in as a new character is fine by me, but it seems most of Impa's support is just clamoring for a Sheik replacement for recentness's sake. It's a narrow minded point of view and, like I said countless times, pays no attention to Impa's potential as a standalone fighter.
I don't think Impa should have Sheik's moveset tacked on. Or rather, I don't care either way. I just think we're not going to get much in terms of new characters, and Zelda having 5 reps seems unrealistic/unbalanced. Of course, Star Fox getting 3 reps in Brawl was surprising, so only time can tell. If I had to choose between Impa and Sheik, I'd probably choose Impa for the aforementioned reasons. That's a personal choice.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd like her to as a standalone fighter. Will probably drop the Sheik hate though, even if it's totally warranted. :smirk:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I agree, but i think the smash fanbase is pretty stuck in its ways as well, and personally i think sakurai needs to change some things for the better. I want more new than old this time around, and not necessarily every single character and thing needs to be retained in each iteration, so some new changes would be welcome. Im all for impa, and ill straight up say that i want sheik gone, mainly because she doesnt really offer up anything new or anything to draw upon since she hasnt been seen since OOT. I know people love her and i can understand them not wanting to give her up, but theres much more potential elsewhere especially from the zelda franchise.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well honestly, Sheik probably gets defended cause of her unique moveset. Her popularity in (mostly) Melee, the unique (yet horribly broken) Zelda / Sheik character concept, and Ocarina of Time.

Then again, it goes without saying that throughout the whole series, Impa's importance is more prominent than Sheik's (discounting now that she is Zelda, as in Smash they still both take 2 roster spots). That, and she was in Skyward Sword, a game even though critised a lot (Why u no rike Zeruda Windu Waika?) marked the start of a new approach to the series. And unlike Twilight Princess, it took a deep dive from what was established in the series through Ocarina of Time. And I'm quite sure they'll base the Zelda characters on these designs (probably graphically updated) for the Zelda characters in Smash this time around.

Sheik did reappear in Ocarina of Time 3DS however, so I think if anything, Sheik will probably return in that version. Here's hoping they still add Impa as a legitimate newcomer though. Would be a waste to miss this chance, as they could create a viable moveset out of much less to draw from out of Sheik.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That post, was an unusually reasonable pro-Impa post from Diddy. I welcome the change.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still gotta say that the choice between them two is an easy one for me. Then again, I would like to see both characters in the game at the same time.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I mean... I'm an Impa supporter, but I do really like Sheik. Sheik's character design is awesome... I just don't like Sheik's actual character in terms of the connection with Zelda. At this point, I kind of like pretending that Sheik is this entirely separate badass ninja character and not just a princess on Halloween. It's weird to me thinking about Zelda being the one jumping around, throwing needles and chainwhipping things. She's just in hiding... we have no reason to assume that she actually knows any Sheikah techniques (except playing the elegant Sheikah harp).

(so, yeah, this is me saying yet again that I really want Sheik and Zelda to be separated and Impa be added in. :) )

So, if Impa got in... WOULD SHE HAVE ANY ATTACKS WHERE SHE SWINGS HER BRAID LIKE A WHIP? I'd like to think that she keeps her braid so straight by hiding a piece of sharp wire in there for an extra sneak attack.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Separate Zelda and Sheik will probably never happen. Hence why I am / was such a fierce defender of Impa replacing Sheik downrightly.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Honestly I think you guys will get impa since she has been in multiple games, (her or ghirahim) there is no way legend of zelda will not get a new rep.

Thanks, it's nice to know that there are people on the boards who are willing to say things even if they don't personally want them to be true. There is still a chance that Ghirahim gets into other games... I could see him being worked in story-wise, and if that happens then his chances in a Smash game would get raised.

I would be so, so disappointed if Zelda didn't get another rep... it's my favorite non-Smash Nintendo series, someone oughta get in.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Thanks, it's nice to know that there are people on the boards who are willing to say things even if they don't personally want them to be true. There is still a chance that Ghirahim gets into other games... I could see him being worked in story-wise, and if that happens then his chances in a Smash game would get raised.

I would be so, so disappointed if Zelda didn't get another rep... it's my favorite non-Smash Nintendo series, someone oughta get in.
Its not that I dont want impa, its just I cant get it out of my head she would just play like shiek, its totally possible to make her unique but I just cant get around that fact currently.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Its not that I dont want impa, its just I cant get it out of my head she would just play like shiek, its totally possible to make her unique but I just cant get around that fact currently.

Sure- mostly, I saw in your sig that you preferred Ghirahim/Demise over Impa. Well, we'll see- I don't actually think any of the LoZ characters are gonna get in the trailer, though. But maybe!

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Sure- mostly, I saw in your sig that you preferred Ghirahim/Demise over Impa. Well, we'll see- I don't actually think any of the LoZ characters are gonna get in the trailer, though. But maybe!
Honestly I just put ghirahim there since I know if demise were to get in ghirahim would get in first so to have hope for demise I have to include both of them.... so actually Id like Demise and Impa (if impa is somehow not a shiek clone) because Demise and Impa are actually core characters to the series (ghirahim could be too if someone were to resurrect demise...)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
What I would like to have is Impa and Vaati.

Man, I never even played Vaati's games and I want the little Minish badass. He should be added into the Wind Waker remake as a secret boss at the end of a secret dungeon!

I do sincerely think they'd make Impa fairly different from Sheik... a little slower, more kill moves, more shadow magic. I love the way I imagine her playing, and I do think she and Sheik could easily fulfill different roles.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Man, I never even played Vaati's games and I want the little Minish badass. He should be added into the Wind Waker remake as a secret boss at the end of a secret dungeon!
He also has a good chance of being in the newest Zelda game which escapes my mind now for the 3DS

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
He also has a good chance of being in the newest Zelda game which escapes my mind now for the 3DS
Your thinking of A Link to the Past 2 (or what its being called as of now). Its definitely possible that vaati could be in there, since its right after the original i highly doubt ganon will sprout back up right after his defeat. I recall the director aonuma saying the game would start with something rather startling or out of the norm for zelda, not sure what they mean but we will find out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly I think you guys will get impa since she has been in multiple games, (her or ghirahim) there is no way legend of zelda will not get a new rep.

This is what I've been thinking to! There hasn't been a lot of re-occuring important Zelda characters during the time of pre-Brawl, outside of the hated Tingle, and the outshined Vaati. Impa is basically the only character that is truely fit for Smash Bros. as a Zelda newcomer.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Raising a question to all haters out there, since this thread attracts you most than anything else.

How many of you have actually played The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword?
And, what was your latest Zelda title you played / completed?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If people start hating a character even BEFORE playing the game, you can rest assured that the character is not a good choice for a newcomer.

Atleast people hated Tingle only AFTER playing the Wind Waker. And very few hated him in Majora's Mask.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nobody hated Impa before the game was released. And nobody outside of Smashboards hates her after Skyward Sword. If anything, people was massively hyped for her. As she was a Sheikah, and many speculated on her being a new character. She took all the hype till a certain 'Fabulous Debbie' took over. :rolleyes:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
If people start hating a character even BEFORE playing the game, you can rest assured that the character is not a good choice for a newcomer.

Atleast people hated Tingle only AFTER playing the Wind Waker. And very few hated him in Majora's Mask.

I did! I hated Tingle from Majora's Mask! He's become a little creepier since then, but even back in the day he was really off-putting to me. His creepy fascination with my fairy... and... eek.

I have to say, I liked Impa a fair amount in her Ocarina of Time incarnation too. She was just very "cool". Kind of enigmatic, pretty intimidating. I think dedicated retainers to royalty tend to be interesting by default, and throw in the fact that she's descended from a fabled tribe of Shadow People...

Yeah, I like Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I liked Skyward Sword Impa the best out of all Impa incarnations. She was the most involved in the main story. Even on par with Link and Zelda. Probably even surpassing Ghirahim, especially in the end. And this little fact is what people like to ignore, as there are way too many people not even completing Skyward Sword for whatever reason.

Remember how everyone ******* on Twilight Princess before? They are not YET calling it the best 3D Zelda game as Wind Waker was called after Twilight Princess's release, but judging form the reaction of many, it may become dubbed that before Zelda Wii U's release. Am tired with this attitude. As Skyward Sword will surely become immensively praised after Zelda Wii U's release. :rolleyes:

Anyway, am expecting to see more of Impa after this role she had in Skyward Sword in the upcoming Zelda titles. So that and her SS role will warrant her inclusion more than any other potential Zelda newcomer in my opinion.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wow, Diddy Kong must really be that thickheaded for not having realized yet that everyone hates Impa because of how he incessantly shoves Impa down the others' throat.

Guess such conclusion is only possible with the intricate theories of rocket science... :rolleyes::smirk:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Like you all hating Impa will make any difference in her inclusion? :rolleyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As I'm still disagreeing with the opposition, it likely won't happen. I'll be rooting for her till her definite deconfirmation.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hmm... I hope Sakurai reveals her as an assist trophy and disconfirms her soon. :smirk:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Watch Impa become the new Isaac / Little Mac if that happens. :awesome:

Top Bottom