• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm thinking of picking up DK

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
So, I just played DK in tournament after picking him up less than a week ago. The tournament was 2 stock best of 5, and I was pretty nervous since it was my first time with DK, so I couldn't spam smashes nearly as well as I usually do. There were some vids recorded of the tournament. The match quality varies from absolute destruction to oh-my god-why-is-this-happening (i.e. My DK vs Anther's Pikachu -_-).

Here are the vids: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5443433#post5443433
There are a couple really good ones in there. Like my 3rd (?) against Anther's Sonic. That was awesome.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
no surprise you lost to anther's pika, its a monster. not even I can beat him and I've played him many times

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I play him all the time. He lives 10 minutes away and comes over alot. Needless to say, its horrible for my self-confidence. Anther is simply too good :/

The Director

Smash Lord
Anther is simply too good :/
You've got a good DK. Pikachu can be a tough customer for DK but his achilles heel is the downsmash. Its much more effective than the forward smash since its hitbox covers more ground.

lol plus the punch is a great pika killer but its harder to hit with since he's so tiny and darts around.

i1337

Smash Ace
You've got a good DK. Pikachu can be a tough customer for DK but his achilles heel is the downsmash. Its much more effective than the forward smash since its hitbox covers more ground.

lol plus the punch is a great pika killer but its harder to hit with since he's so tiny and darts around.
although it feels so good to hit pikachu out of down b with fsmash :chuckle:

The Director

Smash Lord
but it feels even better to hit someone with usmash!!
You know, as beast as the down smash and forward smashes are, you're right. DK's upsmash is easily the most satisfying to hit with, simply because it's the rarest of his smashes to nail. I've found myself using it a lot more lately, and it is an incredible asset.

Plus when you actually hit somebody with it, you're going to f'ing launch them.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
DK's upsmash isn't that hard to hit on standing opponents, because you can just do a running upsmash into them. The hitbox is kinda like Jigglypuff's rest in the sense that you pretty much have to overlap character models. But the downside is that it doesn't work against small characters :(

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
if u pick up dk anther can beat even worse unless he is picking up sonic like in ur mathes

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Tech chasing someone on a platform while underneath them with a hyphen smash is amazing.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
if u pick up dk anther can beat even worse unless he is picking up sonic like in ur mathes
I still have a lot to learn in the matchup, but I sincerely doubt I'll ever beat his Pika with DK. But the same thing is true for Snake, too. I have another character I'm training to beat his Pika... but he still two stocks me regularly :D

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Try seconding Wolf. ***** the **** out of Pikachu.
Oh my god. I just nearly died laughing. Apparently nobody told you that Pikachu has an absurd amount of chaingrabs on Wolf. He utterly destroys Wolf.

I think you could beat anther's pika with dk. I've beat a few good pika's on smashboards...
...Let's just say that "a few good pika's on smashboards" =/= Anther.

Dk1337

Smash Rookie
DK boards have the least amount of posts.
yeah, DK's combos are definitely the most satisfying and, apart from gameplay, ive noticed that DK's d-taunt annoys people more than any other taunt ive used...perhaps some use in mindgames?? piss people off, they lose their focus, you win...lol

Skink

Smash Apprentice
I have always loved using DK since the first ssb, but always got whooped when I used him. I still had a great time, so when the tier list came out it suprised me how high up he was. So a few weeks ago I came to the DK boards and watched a few videos to see what a DK is supposed to do, and I've been doing pretty good with him ever since, vs the people I play. His reach is delicious. His tilts are amazing. His down B ***** people who roll too much obnoxiously. 9 punch is AWESOME. Plus. He's a monkey. Harness the inner power of the monkey. Monkey always wins. I love it. I use him right along side my Mario. Moldy (green) DK ftw! I just need to master his down aerial timing and the cargo spike. Even at high damages people tend to break out of his grab just before I toss them..

tl;dr DK is sex

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
ya i might start to play DK too. i had to be him in a team battle match and i liked playing him. so i played him the rest of the night and got pretty good with him. i thought he was a horrible character in brawl but man was i proven wrong.

Deception

Smash Ace
Oh my god. I just nearly died laughing. Apparently nobody told you that Pikachu has an absurd amount of chaingrabs on Wolf. He utterly destroys Wolf.

...Let's just say that "a few good pika's on smashboards" =/= Anther.
Looks like I need to chew someone out then. I never played a good Pikachu, so I just say what I hear.

DK_047

Smash Cadet
I have one question. What is the sakurai combo?

and ya, DK is awesome, hes by far my favourite character

daisho

Smash Lord
Why do you even read these old things??? And post in these random threads???

Sakurai Combo is when you headbutt to get them into the ground and then use the punch.

DK_047

Smash Cadet
oops! I didnt know this thread was so old. I didnt even know that you could see when posts were made until now. Sorry about that! and thanks for the info

Top Bottom