• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm starting to lose faith in the online Brawl community!!

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Ok let me vent a bit (Bet people here would get a good laugh). After I lost FMOI's tourney, I was a bit saddened but I shook it off and decided to blow off some steam in another tourney. I went to WifiFrontier.com (Formerly WifiWars.com) to join their Bi-weekly tourney. Unfortunately not alot of people were there to hold the Elite Eight, so they decided to hold a regular fun tourney for bragging rights. I decided to enter and my first match was underway against my first opponent. Learning from my mistakes in the past tourney, I decided to play smarter and try new things with my Pikachu (and also Play To Win). I 2 stocked his Diddy (Tried to banana spam but failed at that) and I 2 stocked his ICs (Excessive grabbing FTL!!) I reported my results, but the tourney host said he heard different from my opponent. The scrub tried to insist that he won against my Pika, then the host ordered a rematch with a ref. All of a sudden, he went G&W instead of Diddy (Even though I decided to stick to Pika, it was a rematch after all).

I defeated his G&W and he countered to MK and it went to Rainbow Cruise (The ref picked the cp with my opponent, conspiracy much). Unfortunately my Pika lost that one. I went to FD with Sonic and 2 stocked his MK to seal the deal. After that, I kept getting hateful PM's throughout the tourney. Something then snaps in me and I picked ICs and Sonic and ***** through the tourney FTW!! (Although that Ness player was my only challenge). I won the tourney but, I felt sad because people over there didn't like that (They took the N00bs side blindly).

This is why I'm losing faith and is most likely to quit this time, If I decide to not sandbag and play to win, they get butthurt. But if I play by there made-up rules, it's A-OK!!! I recommend to anybody here that hasn't been to WifiFrontier(WifiWars), do yourself a favor don't. I'm really disappointed, I'm sad that somebody would do that to me :(. Just posting my experience, if you see me quit, now you know why.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
LOL @ ^^^. Quitting during a match. How shameful (then again, chaingrabbing is somewhat seen as shameful, too [not calling your chaingrabbing shameful!]). I don't have this problem cuz I can't even get wi-fi!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Every community has nubs.
Get over it.

shao49

Smash Rookie
Don't take it to seriously i mean, hey you won right?
You should feel even better that you won against a tournament full of complaining liars

Ytoabn08

Smash Cadet
Blue Terrorist... c'mon man.

First of all, did you have to bad mouth the site in general? Nice to know one experience on one day can wipe out months of history with the site.
Second of all, Brawl is an imperfect game. It's laggy, it's broken, it's nearly impossible to be able to run an online tournament since there's no automatic way of seeing match results. Sites like this, sites like WiFi Frontier, have to do their best to make these broken games fun despite all this, and we do the best we can.
Third, as the tournament host, I have to remain neutral. What did you want me to do, simply declare that since you had been at the site longer, you are believed over your opponent? That would quite simply be unfair. I can't fix what happen, I can't figure out who's telling the truth and who's lying, all I can do is try to make it right.

Despite Brawl having no real way of telling match results, we've only had to deal with a handful of disputes over the months and months of play. I feel that this one event is no reason for you to lose faith in the Brawl Community, nor the site.

paulleh

Smash Apprentice
jeez. i was in a wifi tourney once, and my opponent quit the first match because i chaingrabbed, then told the ref that he won.

DiscoShark

Smash Apprentice
It's unfortunate of course that there was a dispute to begin with, insincerity when it comes to online matches is something that isn't new to competitive online games. Let us however try not to demean a site that rarely has to put up with the crap in the first place. The Wififrontier administrators running the tournament did their best to sort out the crap (much of it coming from you actually) and set up an unbiased referee to spectate the matches. As a person who frequents GB, AiB, AND Wififrontier regularly I can say with complete honesty that I've experienced a LOT more cases of insincere match reporting in both GB and AiB than I have EVER in Wififrontier and they're usually handled a lot less effectively.

The fact is you may or may not have won the match with the opponent in the first set (none of us of course were watching it) however your piss poor attitude about the entire situation (you seemed to have left that out in your first post) did nothing but cause more tension and further discredit your own case as to who did or who didn't win the original matches.

Oh, and "I picked ICs and Sonic and ***** through the tourney FTW!!"
You death grabbed everyone with Ice Climbers. Grats.

rhan

Smash Hero
Lol I been lost faith in Brawl and the online community. It's just not worth it.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I don't play online in the first place. I'd be devastated if I had a match where I had no button lag, which doesn't happen. A lot of kids that play online are whiny like that and will try to cheat, just ignore it and if you're good you'd beat them the second time around anyways. :p

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Blue Terrorist... c'mon man.

First of all, did you have to bad mouth the site in general? Nice to know one experience on one day can wipe out months of history with the site.
Second of all, Brawl is an imperfect game. It's laggy, it's broken, it's nearly impossible to be able to run an online tournament since there's no automatic way of seeing match results. Sites like this, sites like WiFi Frontier, have to do their best to make these broken games fun despite all this, and we do the best we can.
Third, as the tournament host, I have to remain neutral. What did you want me to do, simply declare that since you had been at the site longer, you are believed over your opponent? That would quite simply be unfair. I can't fix what happen, I can't figure out who's telling the truth and who's lying, all I can do is try to make it right.

Despite Brawl having no real way of telling match results, we've only had to deal with a handful of disputes over the months and months of play. I feel that this one event is no reason for you to lose faith in the Brawl Community, nor the site.
Well, I was angry the first time I wrote this so I guess I shouldn't say that (After all, there are other games there besides Brawl. Well my beef isn't with you, you handled it a fair as you could of. However, my trust with some of the players over there is very shaken. Yeah, I'm just gonna have a cam ready from now on to make things easier.

It's unfortunate of course that there was a dispute to begin with, insincerity when it comes to online matches is something that isn't new to competitive online games. Let us however try not to demean a site that rarely has to put up with the crap in the first place. The Wififrontier administrators running the tournament did their best to sort out the crap (much of it coming from you actually) and set up an unbiased referee to spectate the matches. As a person who frequents GB, AiB, AND Wififrontier regularly I can say with complete honesty that I've experienced a LOT more cases of insincere match reporting in both GB and AiB than I have EVER in Wififrontier and they're usually handled a lot less effectively.

The fact is you may or may not have won the match with the opponent in the first set (none of us of course were watching it) however your piss poor attitude about the entire situation (you seemed to have left that out in your first post) did nothing but cause more tension and further discredit your own case as to who did or who didn't win the original matches.

Oh, and "I picked ICs and Sonic and ***** through the tourney FTW!!"
You death grabbed everyone with Ice Climbers. Grats.
Last time I checked, you guys was on my back the whole time even when I tried to defend my results. I was automatically the bad guy, so don't bring that mess over here because, I'm just not gonna listen. So it was ok for people to send me some flames via PM on the chat? Yeah, you look innocent now. Don't worry, I know better next time. Oh and if you lost to just grabs, what does that say about you guys as players?

DiscoShark

Smash Apprentice
Last time I checked, you guys was on my back the whole time even when I tried to defend my results. I was automatically the bad guy, so don't bring that mess over here because, I'm just not gonna listen. So it was ok for people to send me some flames via PM on the chat? Yeah, you look innocent now. Don't worry, I know better next time. Oh and if you lost to just grabs, what does that say about you guys as players?
Did I flame you via PMs on the chat? No. So don't insinuate that I did. I told you right off the bat while in the tournament room itself that I didn't believe that you had won those matches, there was no reason for me to make those beliefs private. Obviously I don't condone random flaming via PMs by other people, though that's out of my control. Your attitude from the point that the dispute was made on only served to make me more and more sure of what I originally thought, you didn't win the original matches, and it was that same attitude that you still refuse to acknowledge in this thread.

REGARDLESS OF ALL OF THAT, I was and still am in COMPLETE agreement of how the situation was handled. With a spectator watching the matches there were "no johns" about who did and who didn't win. MY problem, of which I made completely clear, was insulting the SITE hosting the tournament. THAT was uncalled for and it was THAT which motivated me to make the post in the first place.

Oh, and I'd rather not make this a "Whether or not the people who abuse the Ice Climbers' grabs are complete bull****" thread but there's something wrong if one goes from say 20~30% straight to death from being grabbed. If you DO want have that discussion I'd be more than welcome to discuss that in Ice Climber character boards.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Mods, if you read this, please close this thread. I should have made this into a blog instead of making a topic on discussion. I've gotten over it, I won that's all that matters.

Zhouten

Smash Apprentice
Man Im sorry that happened, I've fought those types of people before but unfortunately it was a group of them so they ended up winning=(

Top Bottom