• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm maining random. Who's with me?

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
In Melee it was impossible to really do random correctly. Because you could tell who you chose in advance, you often rejected the first choice you got and tried again.

The other problem was that in Melee there were several characters that were just sorta ****ty, and I didn't really want to play with them. In Brawl, so far I haven't felt that any character is not worth playing.

Consequently I've decided to become a "random" main. Who else wants to main random?

Rash

Smash Ace
After I test out some characters in the very beginning, I may actually take that route.

For someone who doesn't feel necessary to dedicate himself/herself to any one character, it's a great idea. :)

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll end up doing this quite often, because there's no way I can choose someone to main. I want to play with just about everyone on the roster!

The random box shall be my friend.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably play random on more a sort of counter-pick basis, so someone doesn't know which character to play to counter me if they pick a stage I don't like. I can't see it happening that often, but I've vowed to do it at least once. Good luck if you're maining it, though <_<

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I'll probably play random on more a sort of counter-pick basis, so someone doesn't know which character to play to counter me if they pick a stage I don't like. I can't see it happening that often, but I've vowed to do it at least once. Good luck if you're maining it, though <_<
^^Exactly what I was thinking. As a counterpick, it could be incredible, because they won't know who to pick for the best matchup ^_^

Of course, then they'll probably just pick their main, and you'll have a ?/35 chance of getting a character you know well enough to beat them, but that's better than giving them a definite counter.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Originally, this is what I did in Melee before settling with a main. I'm glad now that it's possible to do without getting counter-picked. I'll probably do this in most of my casual playing just to get an understanding of all characters, but I doubt I will retain it as an official "who I use in tournaments", which will definitely start out as Samus. Olimar, Jigglypuff, and Marth also have my eye right now. And then there's Mario, who is everyone's secret secondary. At least most of the people I know.

Bluerockworld

Smash Apprentice
Wow! I thought I was the only one that would go random all the time! Now it is really true!
Well, first I need to see how the characters were tweeked and the newbs. ;)

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
If you could get good enough to use all 35 characters effectively, random would be a great main. I probably won't use random that much, but I'll definitely use it for practice and casual games.

Linkubus

Smash Cadet
I like the new random character system, and I can see myself using it at the beginning for awhile to get the feel of the game, but definitely not permanently. I'd rather spend my time getting skilled with just a few, although the surprise element of being random is pretty tight :p

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I will probaly do some random games myself were everyone has to pick random, it's help you get used to a variety of characters.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I will definitely not be maining random simply because I want to be able to master one character and mastering two or more is probably beyond my scope right now. But I do think I'll utilize the random button at times. Personally I think it would be a blast to have an all random tourney. Sure the winner will have their share of good luck with getting characters they're good with (or getting someone they're decent when everyone else gets people they suck with), but I think it would add a whole new dynamic to the game. Random character followed by random stage would be pretty intense (including ALL stages; if you're paired up against a Fox on Shadow Moses oh well sucks to be you lol). So yeah random definitely has some pretty cool possibilities. But maining it? I don't think I'm up to that. lol

billywill

Smash Journeyman
I will
I think the new style of brawl will require people to have knowledge about every character and know how to play every character
RANDOM MAIN FTW

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Sounds fun.

Perhaps I'll pick a new character every day and learn the in and outs of his strategy.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Have fun, I'm an opinionated jerk and hate half the cast! I could never play as a character I loath.

iron blade

Smash Ace
Random's moveset is better than all of the other character's combined! And it's really (Bad pun warning) unpredictable!

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
LOL, you random mainers will get slaughtered by the competitive players if you ever fight any of them. How are you going to ever excel if you always choose random? especially since sakurai added tons of character depth this time around. Sure i'll use it at first to descide my mains and test new cc's, and i'll use it a year from now when i think i am descent with all characters, but all the time?, come on now that's just rediculous if you wanna be competative.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'm playing with all the characters every now and then anyway, so I don't have to always use a random one. I want to play as my favourites more than others.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
LOL, you random mainers will get slaughtered by the competitive players if you ever fight any of them. How are you going to ever excel if you always choose random? especially since sakurai added tons of character depth this time around. Sure i'll use it at first to descide my mains and test new cc's, and i'll use it a year from now when i think i am descent with all characters, but all the time?, come on now that's just rediculous if you wanna be competative.
Lots, and lots, and lots of practice of course.

Frogla

Smash Ace
This reminds me of the King of Queens episode where Arthur is setting in a movie theater watching the movie he was writing a detailed opinion about.

"They should of called ahead, Im getting out of here whos with me" *Arthur walks around everyone just looks at him*

Top Bottom