• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'm going to miss tripping in Super Smash Bros. 4" - Destructoid

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
The guy is probably laughing in front of his computer screen, reading the 50th post about him being wrong. No matter how good that 50th post was, you got caught in the bait.
Now bear with me for a second here.

What if...

He was serious?!?!?!?!

This isn't the first time I've heard the points that "randomness" is good for a competitive game because it simulates real life better.
The only difference is that those arguments were in favor of items and not tripping.

I'd be willing to bet that this guy legitimately believes what he says.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
If there was an offensive aspect to tripping, I bet people wouldn't hate it as much.

What if we got tripping, but it had a hitbox and hit opponents within range with a Meteor Smash?

Hong

The Strongest
If there was an offensive aspect to tripping, I bet people wouldn't hate it as much.

What if we got tripping, but it had a hitbox and hit opponents within range with a Meteor Smash?
I don't like tripping because I don't like RNG taking away control of people's characters.

I don't like it when it happens to me, but I like it even less when it happens to my opponent.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I don't like tripping because I don't like RNG taking away control of people's characters.

I don't like it when it happens to me, but I like it even less when it happens to my opponent.
All right, well, let's say that instead of tripping being random, each character had a "tripping attack" controlled by a button combo. It could be used both offensively and defensively.

Hong

The Strongest
All right, well, let's say that instead of tripping being random, each character had a "tripping attack" controlled by a button combo. It could be used both offensively and defensively.
Well, since Smash Bros is a game where they have few free buttons to work with, I rather use that button for a number of things that could make a bigger contribution to the game, like an actual dash.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
What I really don't get is how can someone advocate tripping, but at the same time speak of punishing players who attack somebody who's tripping.

So... He basically wants there to be a chance for the match to suddenly just stop for absolutely no reason, and everything to continue after a couple of seconds as if nothing happened? Never mind that punishing players for something like that would feel extremely broken, like a random arbitrary rule people nobody understands, I mean seriously, a free smash ball? Can you imagine hitting somebody only for it to give your opponent a final smash? Why would he expect something like that to make the game more aggressive?

Might as well have the screen freeze for a couple of seconds once per minute. Oh, and if you press a button while the screen is froze, you lose a life.

Senario

Smash Ace
Not even going to care about the click bait article. This is probably going to devolve into a brawl vs melee argument considering the initial post, who posted it, and their opinions on competitive smash. Move along people, nothing to see here. This isn't helpful or a productive.

pickle962

Smash Lord
*yawn* just another so called "professional" gaming journalist thirsty for attention when there's nothing of worth to report on! Nothing to see here folks!

D

Deleted member 245254

Not even going to care about the click bait article. This is probably going to devolve into a brawl vs melee argument considering the initial post, who posted it, and their opinions on competitive smash. Move along people, nothing to see here. This isn't helpful or a productive.
That's kind of unfair. You don't know me or my opinions on competitive Smash, and I have never participated in Brawl vs Melee arguments. This is nice bit of non-constructive judging you're doing here.

Unless you're directing that at the writer of the article and not me but your post strongly implies your words are directed at me.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I can't even make a good post for this. It's just make no sense. He want people to play Smash Bros with the same fairness of real-life? How is that immerse for competitive players? What about causals as well? They want good control of their characters too. All they don't like is their characters being helplessly defeated with no retaliation, which will not change no matter what iteration of Smash Bros is created with very competent players around. So all tripping did is made the gap bigger for them.

This guy clearly has no clue and just want video game series like Smash Bros to be played only one way. So much for competitive players thinking like that.

D

Deleted member

TERMINATE THE FILTHY CASUAL!

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure if I have any real opinion on this. Tripping didn't happen much to me in Brawl, and even then it had no real impact since I don't play competitively.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
My Staff of Smashing is shaking! It only does that when it scans a thread with high levels of stupidity! Uh oh... it's levitating... AHHH!
*house blows up, along with surrounding houses*
Seriously though, tripping's still here (thanks Diddy) but who cares! At least Dash Dancing is back... please wave dashing and l-cancelling and stuff... Please?

Husseller

Smash Rookie
Yorktown VA/ Virginia Tech/Shenandoah University
Personal opinion: I do not care for tripping, but if they had put it in Brawl as an element that you could toggle off (like items) then this would be a total non-issue.

Going with the philosophy of having an even playing field, randomness should be a toggle-able option in the game. Sure, randomness has it's place in a more casual environment (FFA items on), but if players wish to play based on skill alone then all random/RNG elements should be eliminated.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
K, this is kind of dreadful. As much as there can be said for the ridicule of competitive scenes, this guy's a ****ing idiot and this entire article boils down to calling pros nerds for being pros. You'd have thought they'd be allowed to be particularly into individual mechanics of the game, especially when asked about them.

It's as if a tennis player was asked what they'd change about a court and they said: "Well the turf's a bit rough, it makes it a tiny bit harder to run in, I'd fix that" after which the reporter calls them obsessive. Disregard my last post in this thread, the author's an utter dip**** and deserves all hate he put on you. When even the comment section calls out your click-bait, you're doing something very VERY wrong.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Now bear with me for a second here.

What if...

He was serious?!?!?!?!

This isn't the first time I've heard the points that "randomness" is good for a competitive game because it simulates real life better.
The only difference is that those arguments were in favor of items and not tripping.

I'd be willing to bet that this guy legitimately believes what he says.
It's kind of the argument people have for their love of DnD. The randomness of the dice is a major draw, or at least not a hinderance.

Tripping often would be annoying, but I appreciated the concept and the idea. One of the awesome parts of the smash invitational was that it was always anyone's game and was highly unpredictable.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
To me Brawl was better with ALL Those new character instead of Clone.
Cool stages.
Good Gameplay.
AND freaking Olimar!!!!!!!!
Is Almost perfect!

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...

I can agree: The character unbalance.
In melee are unbalance too but Brawl take to the next level of unbalance character like Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Snake, Falco, Marth and Olimar were way to powerful comparing to low tier.
And his guy:metaknight: is freaking broken as DA**.

And tripping because whynot?

The only thing Im gonna be miss of tripping is the animation is very funny and chaotic but having in competitive scene is a SLAP in the face. Tripping never should come back except is you step on a banana because you walk over the banana.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I wouldn't have minded Tripping if it was just a way to nerf Dash Dancing (which while being a legit strategy still looks silly, and therefore might be undesirable from a game design point of view), but I would've implemented it differently.

First 5 (or somewhere around there) dashes: Perfectly safe, even on ice or similar terrain.
6 or more: X% chance of tripping where X = the number of times you've dashed in a row.

If you stop dashing for about 100 frames then the counter resets.

I'd start with this basic idea and then tweak it until it was fair, but as you can see dashing in circles repeatedly would result in you eventually becoming vulnerable at an unpredictable time (your character gets dizzy), making Dash Dancing punishable. However, with room for maybe 5 dashes (or slightly more if you want to push your luck) you still have a way to confuse your opponent on approach, or feint a dash and then turn around, so you actually have some options.

It always annoyed me that Sakurai didn't spend more time thinking the tripping all the way through. Then again, while it does make dash dancing impractical, it doesn't really seem like it was intended to do that specifically, in which case I really have no idea what he was thinking.

Also, as a casual player I can totally feel the difference between Melee and Brawl. Unless you are somehow paralyzed or have some very specific kind of brain damage, you will have muscle memory, and that muscle memory will tell you that Brawl doesn't behave the way that Melee does. I also have a problem with the idea of throws being "too cheap". It's in the game, so deal with it.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
This article is rediculous.

I'll just see it as clickbait so I can conserve my world view and sleep well tonight.

Top Bottom