• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm Glad PT is Top of Low Tier

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
There is no tier list.

Other than Snake probably being at or near the top, and MK not far behind, the arguments for some of the other characters are extremely flawed. Zelda is overhyped, while the only good thing about her is her smashes and to a lesser extent, her tilts. Her aerials are a disaster. Peach is in consensus a low tier character to these people, yet her Brawl version has many advantages over her Melee version, and will likely end up in the higher tiers once people jump off the bandwagons for the easy to learn characters with low ceilings (Marth, DDD, etc.).

Very few talented players play PT right now. They are turned off by stamina, and choose more proven characters for tournaments because there is, after all, money on the line. Those who do intend to play PT competitively usually pick up secondary characters out of a lack of trust in their skills with PT, which they actually end up using more.

Once the stigma of stamina as a character killer fades, and once people get over the fact that tether recoveries can be edgehogged easily (it's idiotic how people assume Ivysaur is doomed because of this, it's not even a factor in most battles), then we'll begin to see PT getting more serious play and as a result, better tournament standings.

None of the three pokemon should end up under mid tier.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
There is no tier list.

Other than Snake probably being at or near the top, and MK not far behind, the arguments for some of the other characters are extremely flawed. Zelda is overhyped, while the only good thing about her is her smashes and to a lesser extent, her tilts. Her aerials are a disaster. Peach is in consensus a low tier character to these people, yet her Brawl version has many advantages over her Melee version, and will likely end up in the higher tiers once people jump off the bandwagons for the easy to learn characters with low ceilings (Marth, DDD, etc.).

Very few talented players play PT right now. They are turned off by stamina, and choose more proven characters for tournaments because there is, after all, money on the line. Those who do intend to play PT competitively usually pick up secondary characters out of a lack of trust in their skills with PT, which they actually end up using more.

Once the stigma of stamina as a character killer fades, and once people get over the fact that tether recoveries can be edgehogged easily (it's idiotic how people assume Ivysaur is doomed because of this, it's not even a factor in most battles), then we'll begin to see PT getting more serious play and as a result, better tournament standings.

Honestly, you'd think Bullet Seed would balance ANY of his faults, if Ivysaur has any.

Personally, I'm expecting PT to reach high tier at least once people begin using him well. Each of his Pokemon are perfectly balanced to handle around 37 of the 39 playable cast, and on the other two he still can go head-to-head, just without a definite advantage.

Also, Bullet Seed.

Give it a year or so, and people will start being more open. After all, it took only a few months until people got over the Ike hype.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
There is no tier list.

I have to agree with you. We need more of our Pokemon Trainer players out there showing his true potential. I have yet to see anyone wield all three Pokemon extremely well and in a balanced and effective fashion. Until we have players like that, Pokemon Trainer will not be recognized and he'll stay low.

I also found your point about PT players and secondaries very interesting. It's probably true as well, but I don't think it's too bad that people carry secondaries when it comes to using PT. After all, while he is 3 characters in 1, there may be someone that can simply handle the situation better, especially if two thirds of Pokemon Trainer's team is weak to a certain character.

But you got me thinking, so...I think I myself will attempt this. It's why I made my topic, after all. I'm going to main PT and keep Toon Link as a secondary to see how I do. I notice that there are a lot more American tournaments than Canadian tournaments, but I'll try and do my part in raising Pokemon Trainer. X)

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Sush, Ike @_@

Well, something is true. PT is never going to be god tier, nor will be seen as top tier if people have that misconception Pope pointed about it. But yeah, I don't think PT will be sent down to the bottom of a tier list. It is pretty balanced, has very good moves overall and its versatility is very underestimated.

Or, as the dyslexic SWFer would say: Tires don't exist

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with you. We need more of our Pokemon Trainer players out there showing his true potential. I have yet to see anyone wield all three Pokemon extremely well and in a balanced and effective fashion. Until we have players like that, Pokemon Trainer will not be recognized and he'll stay low.

I also found your point about PT players and secondaries very interesting. It's probably true as well, but I don't think it's too bad that people carry secondaries when it comes to using PT. After all, while he is 3 characters in 1, there may be someone that can simply handle the situation better, especially if two thirds of Pokemon Trainer's team is weak to a certain character.

But you got me thinking, so...I think I myself will attempt this. It's why I made my topic, after all. I'm going to main PT and keep Toon Link as a secondary to see how I do. I notice that there are a lot more American tournaments than Canadian tournaments, but I'll try and do my part in raising Pokemon Trainer. X)
Need... capture... card...

Must prove to the world that I have the only balanced PT! :laugh:

acv

Smash Journeyman
there is no possible way that out of the three all of them are so bad they all go to low tier.

chili

Smash Cadet
there is no possible way that out of the three all of them are so bad they all go to low tier.
Nah... I think that Pokemon Trainer is pretty good now. And I feel that most of the PT techniques really haven't been discovered yet. More time needs to be put in the game. Over time I feel that PT will slowly work his way upwards.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
there indeed is untapped potential with pokemon trainer. The idea is that you have to learn how to master three individual characters instead of one and the master the harmony between the three characters. Common sense tells us that this take longer than one simple character, expecially simple characters like Meta.

As time goes by I see Pt emerging in the tournament scene much like Marth did in melee. It'll just take a longer time. But seriously PT is too beast to be low tier.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
there indeed is untapped potential with pokemon trainer. The idea is that you have to learn how to master three individual characters instead of one and the master the harmony between the three characters. Common sense tells us that this take longer than one simple character, expecially simple characters like Meta.

As time goes by I see Pt emerging in the tournament scene much like Marth did in melee. It'll just take a longer time. But seriously PT is too beast to be low tier.
ssshh. Let them underestimate us. Their funeral.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Is stamina the only reason why few people are maining PT, man those people who believe stamina is enough are idiots (not the ones who main him, the ones who think stamina is enough to not main him).

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Stamina isn't really that bad. The thing with Pokemon Trainer is that, unlike with almost all other characters, you never had the time to take a break, even if your opponent is. You must keep attacking nonstop, and when your stamina is about to run out, you'll need to push the opponent away then change. However, when fatigued, it becomes MUCH harder to launch the opponent, and even if you do get to change, it must be when the opponent is far away. Otherwise, it's a free kill.

This, all together, makes Pokemon Trainer one of the hardest characters to use. Therefore, he'll be in the lower tiers.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
XDXDXD i dont think anyone on my neighborhood would believe that, the only one who can win me a match when im with pokemon trainer is my friend who is also very good, but anyway the battles between us are very excitng, its just that we cant save it, because its a public palce and taking a digital camera would be too risky, but asides of him, i have kicked like 7 ***** of random people(no noobs, they all payed very good) with my pokemon trainer, i consider myself very good with the three pokemon

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
I agree. The less people use PT, the more I get to revel in wiping the floor with them all over the place. ^_^

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
I think he meant their are similar to the extent that both have learning curves steep enough to alienate most players until one or two eventually unlock their potential and begin to win conclusively with them.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
wait wait wait. I'd rather keep PT at the bottom, I don't want tonz of nubs to swarm PT.
Am I right?

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Tiers aren't out yet, but I'm sure that PT is somewhere among the lower level of the tiers. Don't see why though. He's actually a pretty decent character.

Does the damage and knockback of this character change if you Switch Out? Not sure about that, but that would make this character higher among the tiers.

Onxy

Smash Lord
And plus you have a fresh attack to kill them with! Lol. I was hoping that he would end up high tier, but I guess not lol.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
I know, but it sounds better than "Low rank go!". Tier lists are based on the same idea anyway, tournament performance.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ice climbers were pretty low until someone dedicated and skilled enough brought them out to prominence.

same will be of pt, i think.

FindTheBalance

Smash Rookie
I love how little respect PT gets. It is soo much fun proving his worth by trouncing the opposition. I play a very annoying PT, and I use all the frustration from the "underdog" winning to further my mindgames. SO STAY LOW TIER. At least until a few great PKMN masters start winning tourneys; PT still deserves respect.

goodkid

Smash Lord
PKMN Trainer has a lot of potential. His metagame will just take longer. PKMN Trainer could be high tier, he has a lot of versatility.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
I want Pokemon Trainer to end up being... the very best, like no one ever was.

And I just could not care less what tier they all end up in. There's no more "honor" in playing low tier characters than in playing top tier ones. It's all just a fabricated condition used by validation-seeking players so stagnant in their mediocrity that they aim for being just good within their low tier character's constraints. To top it off, they chastise those who play higher tier characters as if they have stooped to some untouchable level of dishonor.

Seriously, it's bull****.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
To top it off, they chastise those who play higher tier characters as if they have stooped to some untouchable level of dishonor.

Seriously, it's bull****.
Agree. I've seen a lot of people who think they are good just because they play with a top tier character. They suck.

And so do I. BUT HEY I'M PLAYING A LOW TIER CHARACTER.

Bull****++

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
PKMN Trainer has a lot of potential. His metagame will just take longer. PKMN Trainer could be high tier, he has a lot of versatility.
PT will never be High tier. While he his versatility is a huge plus. He lacks certain traits that prevent him from reaching higher tired levels.

By themselves none of the Pokemon are exactly high tier. If you were to break them down individually Squirtle would be on the low side of medium, Ivy the higher part of medium and Charizard in the Middle of both of them. The fact that all three of them have different play styles is a huge plus On top of the fact that each of them have at least three additonal attack styles

. But the fact you automatically change when one dies takes away from that as well as the time changing in battle takes. Character match up disadvantages and advantages make playing with PT extremely challenging. In some cases only one of three will actually have an advantage against you opponent while the other to easily get beat on. While in others you can wipe the floor with any of the three. If one could change aerially or if switching while you were in the air instantly sent you to the ground I could agree that he would be a top tier character. Even having a little control over where or when the Pokemon would appear would have greatly improved upon him.

Taking all of this into consideration He probably fall into the exact medium of the tier list if ranked properly.

FlyingMudPuppy

Smash Rookie
Time will tell... You figure that all PT is gonna do is move up. People talk about how it will take months for the simple single chars' full potential to be realized... and that concept would be exponentially large here

Top Bottom