• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm done with For Glory, for good

Porygon24

Smash Rookie
I wish I could quit For Glory for the terrible connection and lack of Stage diversity, but I have no one to train against ( Unless my brother just has absolutely nothing to do on his PC ) I don't plan on heading to tournaments and no one else I know is at an equal level of skill as I am to improve. So FG for days unless a miracle happens.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I wish I could quit For Glory for the terrible connection and lack of Stage diversity, but I have no one to train against ( Unless my brother just has absolutely nothing to do on his PC ) I don't plan on heading to tournaments and no one else I know is at an equal level of skill as I am to improve. So FG for days unless a miracle happens.
There's always anther's ladder, or hooking up with people on the forum.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can't blame you; For Glory is pretty much rage-inducing. I quit playing it early this year. Tired of scrubs and lag.

abx

Smash Journeyman
The way the netcode for this game is written, one might guess that nintendo wanted this behavior to happen. 2 big problems:

1. The game has 2x redundant netcode that has no business in a fighting game. Every keypress must transmit twice before the game will act upon it.

2. The game for whatever reason loves pairing people who live half a world away from each other. And there's no region-filter like in mario kart.

Both of these combined create an environment of unpunishable roll spammers, projectile spammers, and smash spammers.
Why, I think you're on to something: The lag-induced rage causes more 3ds systems being thrown to the ground, forcing the customer to buy a new one (or to abandon the system as a whole). I can literally hear the banknotes rustling.

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
TLDR; Don't play FG. It's Laggy. And people know they lag and they abuse it. Personally I play strictly offline because Wifi online is generally bad.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Starting to really dislike anther's ladder. Nothing but flowcharts who go into friendlies saying "oh im not that good boo hoo :("

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I don't know how to use it...
Can someone explain
You create an account, and add your FC to your profile. Then you can set up a match via their online matchmaking system. You put out a challenge looking for a match, and anyone can accept your challenge. The system will then dictate the stage after you select one to strike off/counterpick, and will have the rules laid out. You need to confirm the character you use each round and whether you won/lost. It has a chat that lets you exchange FCs with whoever accepted your challenge.

Kaneki164

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thawk164
3DS FC
5127-2247-5437
Honestly I wish FG had better connectivity and less lag, I mostly fight people who has Walmart like connections on the 3ds which has alot of input lag for me.The only reason I keep playing is because I don't have that high level of skill for tournaments yet.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Yeah, FG is really a horrible place to try and train when it's a toxic waste of rollers, spam and Little Macs who don't know anything but attacking. It's even worse for me because I can't even play properly due to lag spikes, so I lose to strategies I know I'd never lose to and it causes me to get salty.

I've never gotten salty enough to the point of throwing my 2DS, though. I'm not quite that salty even at my worst. :p

From personal experience, I'd suggest joining the groups for your mains and having friendly matches with them to try and improve yourself; it's miles ahead of For Glory, that's for sure.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Overly aggressive falcons, Sonic's stupid invincibility frames and hitboxes, Choking Lucarios, Links without the advice of Navi, Shulk's spamming counters... Down-Throwing Luigis... infact, EVERY DOWN-THROW! Sigh...

TheMasonOrder

Banned via Warnings
Sorry about what happen OP. I rarely do 1v1 on FG, I mostly do FFA because it's less stressful and there's more players. Not sure about For Fun since their are more people on there who don't take smash seriously, but I'm seeing lots of positive things said about it in this thread.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You create an account, and add your FC to your profile. Then you can set up a match via their online matchmaking system. You put out a challenge looking for a match, and anyone can accept your challenge. The system will then dictate the stage after you select one to strike off/counterpick, and will have the rules laid out. You need to confirm the character you use each round and whether you won/lost. It has a chat that lets you exchange FCs with whoever accepted your challenge.
Sounds like a poor mans rank game...well nintendo didnt add rank matches...its 2015 for christ sake.

Porygon24

Smash Rookie
Just started using it and honestly I prefer it 300x more than FG even if matches take a while to find. Most players are way better than many FG players rarely experience lag and get to see some impressive plays. Also the community is fun but playing with people live still sounds better.

Last edited:

Razorninja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Razorninja
3DS FC
4098-2412-1493
Switch FC
2785-7286-3012
Starting to really dislike anther's ladder. Nothing but flowcharts who go into friendlies saying "oh im not that good boo hoo :("
When in doubt, you can try endless friendlies. You don't have to record what characters or stages you are going to play on, nor do you record wins or losses. Just you and your opponent sparring each other to your hearts content.

EddyAOS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eddy-Chaotic
3DS FC
4141-4272-9573
Don't be mad when you've lost, instead think of what you can do differently next time.

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
I did just about the same thing to mine about five months ago after facing a Mac who rolled and D-Smashed the entire match. . . Though the result was much more destructive.
20150121_161819.jpg

Needless to say: :shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker:

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I believe the joke there is that DK spiked her with Down B. Twice. And the 2nd time was more humiliating, because she could've used her 2nd jump (unless she lost it, in which case scratch that) to reach the wall to cling onto it before going for the ledge, but instead panic Up B'd to her doom.

That, or the betrayal of expectations (I personally don't expect DKs without customs to win against Sheiks without customs too often, let alone as decisively as the above vid shows).

abx

Smash Journeyman
So, basically the joke is that some people on FG aren't really good?

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
for glory is pure garbage as a majority of players play the same, you really only encounter tier whores and scrubs who just roll around and since rolls are way too good in this game, it's hard to punish! Also, not being able to play with custom moves on with anyone makes it a waste as not everyone has time to play with friends online.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
for glory is pure garbage as a majority of players play the same, you really only encounter tier whores and scrubs who just roll around and since rolls are way too good in this game, it's hard to punish! Also, not being able to play with custom moves on with anyone makes it a waste as not everyone has time to play with friends online.
Exactly. People who defend this don't understand that playing someone with the mindset of trying to win via the cheapest way possible de-values the gameplay experience!

Just play normally, no need for name calling or some odd angry play style . :bubblebobble:

Last edited:

Mar-MarTheGreat

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheHyrulianOne
Oh Jesus Christ. I completely agree with you. I ran into someone using Shulk, Link, Little Mac, and Ness. He spammed the whole time. I'm done with For Glory. I bet you the #1 guy in For Glory is the mastermind behind this.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played a good for glory match in such a long time. I even stopped playing for glory for 2 months because of the overabundence of Captain falcons and ZSS's, then I got back on the day after christmas. I recently have not played for glory in a week and stuck to for fun. There are no good Links, ZSS, C falcon, R.O.B, Toon Links, Bowsers, Sonics, Duck hunts, Lucarios, or samus. The main problems are projectile spam or cheap ass tactics like charging samus's beam and rolling to the edge of the state to spam missles then shoot the charge! ITS STEREOTYPICAL BULLCRAP! Don't tell me when you see a link on for glory you DONT think they're going to spam! This for glory perdicablness is ridiculous! I can read when people are going to grab me and which throw they're going to do at certain percentage!!

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I haven't played a good for glory match in such a long time. I even stopped playing for glory for 2 months because of the overabundence of Captain falcons and ZSS's, then I got back on the day after christmas. I recently have not played for glory in a week and stuck to for fun. There are no good Links, ZSS, C falcon, R.O.B, Toon Links, Bowsers, Sonics, Duck hunts, Lucarios, or samus. The main problems are projectile spam or cheap *** tactics like charging samus's beam and rolling to the edge of the state to spam missles then shoot the charge! ITS STEREOTYPICAL BULLCRAP! Don't tell me when you see a link on for glory you DONT think they're going to spam! This for glory perdicablness is ridiculous! I can read when people are going to grab me and which throw they're going to do at certain percentage!!
You know it's kind of funny cause I have that exact same mindset too when I come across Links. Heck add Shulks (counter/backslash spam) , Wario (bike spam), Ness (pk fire/thunder spam) and insert whatever while we're at it. Obviously I don't want to have to go in a match seeing a certain character and thinking, 'Oh boy here we go.' and brace myself for spam. But it is what you come across more often than not sadly.

And on another note, it's only been like a week since I made my other post on page 1 of this thread praising FG team battles, but I ended up getting a streak of crappy rooms in a row (leaving to get away from spam only to get in a room that would be practically the same, sometimes worst).

I mean For Glory is hit and miss with its good and bad players but man does it turn you off when you constantly run into the bad ones all in a row.

So yeah I'm going to be taking a break from For Glory for a bit and just focus on offline for the time being, complete some of those leftover AllStar/Classic challenges, farm master/crazy orders for some customs etc. and whatnot.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I haven't played a good for glory match in such a long time. I even stopped playing for glory for 2 months because of the overabundence of Captain falcons and ZSS's, then I got back on the day after christmas. I recently have not played for glory in a week and stuck to for fun. There are no good Links, ZSS, C falcon, R.O.B, Toon Links, Bowsers, Sonics, Duck hunts, Lucarios, or samus. The main problems are projectile spam or cheap *** tactics like charging samus's beam and rolling to the edge of the state to spam missles then shoot the charge! ITS STEREOTYPICAL BULLCRAP! Don't tell me when you see a link on for glory you DONT think they're going to spam! This for glory perdicablness is ridiculous! I can read when people are going to grab me and which throw they're going to do at certain percentage!!
What i have noticed is majority of the best/entertaining/aggressive/kind kudos players on For Glory matches i have had are against heavyweight users mainly Ike players.

I find generally people that play Mario/Ness/Yoshi/Link are most of the time Assholes

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Don't be mad when you've lost, instead think of what you can do differently next time.
It really isn't like that with "For Glory characters" They just hinder your progression to being a good player. I just SD when I run into a Spammy Link, Sonic, Toon link, R.O.B, the list goes on. I hope you get the point, but maybe not.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I know what you mean by "lack of Stage diversity" I mostly get the pac-maze, WarioWare, and Balloon Fight.

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
To me, seriously playing a fighting game isn't about winning as many matches as you could. It's about your personal development as a player.

When I step online, I approach it with the mentality of a sportsman. Every time you fight a new opponent, it's time to learn a new set of habits and strategies that are unique to that player. If their strategy revolves around spamming projectiles, or even lag switching, so be it. Welcome it as a new challenge. Put aside your ego and your pride, and use it as an opportunity to learn. Not just learning how to fight a troublesome opponent, but learning how to compete in general. While learning to fight online does not always translate well to offline, the ability to watch and adapt does.

That is why I play online.

For the record, I've mained Ike since day 1. I know exactly how frustrating it is to fight zoning characters (especially in lag). I started with a 40% win rate a couple of weeks after the game came out for the 3DS. I have a 75% win rate now on that same account. But I didn't achieve it because my goal was to win more. I have this record now because I welcome every challenge. And even now, there are still extremely strong opponents that I encounter whom I cannot win against.

tl;dr: just read the first sentence

salaboB

Smash Champion
It really isn't like that with "For Glory characters" They just hinder your progression to being a good player. I just SD when I run into a Spammy Link, Sonic, Toon link, R.O.B, the list goes on. I hope you get the point, but maybe not.
It seems like not learning how to easily beat a spammy character will hinder your progress more.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I'll have to move over to playing people strictly here and/or Anther's Ladder. The last match I had consisted of a Dr. Mario spamming his pills, and ended with me losing and throwing my Pro Controller across the room. This has been happening for the past week (not to mention, I have an Aspartame addiction so that's not helping me), and I'm starting to get worried not only for the sake of my mental and physical health, but how other people around me react to my outbursts. A few days ago, I got pissed off by losing a match from a Spamus, and I ended up throwing my controller across the room and cussing my head off, saying that I was going to kill someone if I didn't win the next match... in a Skype call with my girlfriend. She got scared by how I reacted, and while she's an easy going person, I'm worried that if I keep this attitude up, she'll get so scared, that she won't want to hang out with me anymore.

So I'm basically not gonna play For Glory anymore, or at least for a while, until I can overcome my Aspartame addiction. I'm glad that I haven't broken my controller yet, but if I keep this up, it won't be long until I break it just by chucking it at my wall.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
Wow

should never throw your controller, I remember raging hard playing other games but a wiimote was cheap enough to replace. I have the 3ds version but have never thrown the console. this game really does suck as the lack of variety, constant lag, bad online and attacks and grabs whiffing make for poor design. For glory is the worst mode in the game as it encourages bad habits and major salt. I honestly have more fun playing mario kart than this game....

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Wow

should never throw your controller, I remember raging hard playing other games but a wiimote was cheap enough to replace. I have the 3ds version but have never thrown the console. this game really does suck as the lack of variety, constant lag, bad online and attacks and grabs whiffing make for poor design. For glory is the worst mode in the game as it encourages bad habits and major salt. I honestly have more fun playing mario kart than this game....
I have been shielding a lot more than I would like to...
I blame the mode more than the actual game, because I love the actual game. It's just the online that's not very fun.

Top Bottom