• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 I'm Attending the Super Smash Bros. Roundtable at E3. Any Questions For Sakurai?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
@ Gnarleysquid Gnarleysquid
Ask him what his favorite stage is!

(it sounds dumb, but there's a lot you can tell by someone saying their favorite stage in smash!)

Apparently I didn't take 18 units of classes and Ace every single freaking one of them and finish most of them early, take care of my handicapped older brother 20-40 hours a week every week, don't take care of myself physically, and I don't regularly hang out with my friends and girlfriend and family, all of whom I am close to don't exist.

Apparently Ken, Dr. PP, Korean DJ, SamuraiPanda, and HugS don't have successful careers they are thriving in. Apparently Hungrbox isn't an excelling student and Mango isn't a caring father.

Apparently none of us can have "competitive Smash players" as friends or family members, despite Ken's brother and sister entering tournaments, and my brother being my doubles partner, and many of us having fellow "competitive Smash players" as friends.

Nope, we can't do that because we play competitive smash. We're all just a bunch of fringe people, just like every person who enjoys any form of competition.

All of this is no longer true because you say so. :rolleyes:
The fact is there is only so much time in a day. Most people work 40 hours a week and will likely commute an extra 10 hours a week is commuting and an extra 5 hours in lunch breaks. This is 50 hours a week dedicated to a job. Then there is eating and sleeping. Some jobs will also have you working 50 to 60 hours a week. There is also time that must be spent on hanging out with friends (by which I mean, not in front of a TV screen) or going out with women. Playing Smash at a level where you will actually win tournaments takes a lot of time. Like any competitive game does.

Now, if my facts are wrong and these people can do this, then here is what you do: Name a Smash Brothers players who has all of the following.
-Name a Smash Brothers player who has ranked in the top 8th of a large regional tournament (Brawl, 64 or Melee)
-Works as a: Accountant, Lawyer, Banker (not a teller), Doctor, Nurse, Teacher, Programming, IT (be specific) or Manager (not store manager, again, be specific) or a Student studying to be one of these
-Has a girlfriend and/or family
-Makes over $45,000 a year NOT including Smash winnings
-Goes outside regularly

To not derail this too much, please send me a PM. From what I've seen, most of these are mutually exclusive. For example, Mew2King is the best Smash Brothers player in the world and he is poor as dirt,. He can't move out and doesn't have health insurance. If you can, prove me wrong.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Please, keep this thread on-topic and take the current discussion wherever appropriate.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Warning Received
The fact is there is only so much time in a day. Most people work 40 hours a week and will likely commute an extra 10 hours a week is commuting and an extra 5 hours in lunch breaks. This is 50 hours a week dedicated to a job. Then there is eating and sleeping. Some jobs will also have you working 50 to 60 hours a week. There is also time that must be spent on hanging out with friends (by which I mean, not in front of a TV screen) or going out with women. Playing Smash at a level where you will actually win tournaments takes a lot of time. Like any competitive game does.

Now, if my facts are wrong and these people can do this, then here is what you do: Name a Smash Brothers players who has all of the following.
-Name a Smash Brothers player who has ranked in the top 8th of a large regional tournament (Brawl, 64 or Melee)
-Works as a: Accountant, Lawyer, Banker (not a teller), Doctor, Nurse, Teacher, Programming, IT (be specific) or Manager (not store manager, again, be specific) or a Student studying to be one of these
-Has a girlfriend and/or family
-Makes over $45,000 a year NOT including Smash winnings
-Goes outside regularly

To not derail this too much, please send me a PM. From what I've seen, most of these are mutually exclusive. For example, Mew2King is the best Smash Brothers player in the world and he is poor as dirt,. He can't move out and doesn't have health insurance. If you can, prove me wrong.
HugS is a successful accountant, SamuraiPanda is in the medical field as a surgeon (and in his free time making a League of Legends-based fighting game), DSF and his wife (both competitive players) are well off, Ken is studying to become some technical field, multiple smashers are teachers, many are in the video game industry, some are eSports journalists, many have made a business out of their hard work in the smash community (GimR the Grrat for example), Hbox is in school for some genius field, Prog (SPEAKS UP!) is in some good business, and Dr PP is in some smart person field.

Also apparently every competitive smashers are poor.

Apparently everyone with a hobby the my devout to is a poor loser. They're a lot worse than the person I'm quoting who spends more than that amount of time insulting them.

I guess I'm a loser because I do what I've been paid to do for free 20-40 hours taking care of my physically handicapped older brother, I just finished 18 units with all A's, I qualify for an AA and a certificate with plans to get a BA in my major's field and 4 other certificates in the next 6 months, I have lots of friends l, I have a girlfriend who before that was my best friend, my best friend is my younger brother (who also plays competitive smash), I go to the gym roughly 10 hours a week, I eat over 3,500 calories a day, I play smash 5-20 hours a week, I play other video games 5-30 hours a week, I've averaged a tournament every 2 months when I'm active in smash (I spend a day there), I play smash with the goal of winning all whole Jacob fun and loving the competition, and I still find a lot of time for time with my family, my friends, and managing my inheritance and growing it steadily, say my prayers, eat my vitamins (reference), all while working to be the best accountant, smasher, and person possible.

Now please, if you want to continue being an intolerant jerk towards people over this specific hobby, enjoying smash bros, I suggest you take it to some fringe website instead of THE HOME OF THE SMASH BROS COMMUNITY!

===

Also I think it is worth asking why Masahiro Sakurai has "divided" the casual and competitive community, an why he kinda sorta made it a thing.

(On a certain level, I feel the people who treat Masahiro Sakurai like a God feel things like what was posted above me because of that, and it has been nothing but a negative thing for the community for over a decade since he said such things, and I see Smash 3DS and WiiU as a way of "fixing" that up. After all, to quote Prog, "Smash is like Reece's: there's no wrong way to have it.")

//

Last edited:

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Yo @ Gnarleysquid Gnarleysquid do you have a list of all the questions you're gonna try to ask? I'd love to see which ones you've brought it down to.
I did post it earlier, but here it is again (this time with a couple of new questions!):

"How important has the competitive Smash scene been to the development team during the creation of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and what kind of influence has it had on the final games? Will that core audience remain a bigger focus for the franchise going forward through community-suggested patches, additional Nintendo-sponsored tournaments, etc.?"
"Why did you stick with the ‘Super Smash Bros. for Wii U’ and ‘3DS’ titles instead of keeping it in line with past iterations like Melee and Brawl?"
"Why was the transformation mechanic removed? Do you feel it could take away from the appeal and effectiveness of some characters and could it return?"
"How important is balancing the number of playable representatives between Nintendo franchises? Do you enforce limits pertaining to how many playable characters can be included from a single franchise?"
"What were your biggest development challenges when making the jump from Brawl to Smash Wii U? Overall, did developing for Wii U prove more stressful due to the standards set by the most modern games, or did the increased capabilities of the Wii U make development go much more smoothly compared to Brawl?"
"Sakurai, do you or anyone on your team monitor forums on major gaming sites or fan sites, before, after or during development? If so, how important is this insight when building the roster and implementing mechanics?"
"How closely do you work with third and first-party developers when adding their characters to the roster? Does Miyamoto give you suggestions or guidelines for fighters like Rosalina? Capcom for Mega Man? Intelligent Systems for Fire Emblem?"
"Do you believe that Super Smash Bros. is best fit for one iteration per console generation? Given the immense success of every installment, why doesn't Nintendo create Smash sequels on the same hardware in a similar style to other blockbuster fighting games like Street Fighter or Tekken?"
"After reintroducing players to Pit through Super Smash Bros. Brawl, you went on to resurrect the series with Kid Icarus Uprising. Would you be interested in reviving any other franchises represented in Smash Bros. (such as Ice Climber or F-Zero)?"
NEW ADDITIONS:

@Chrimbo with the points @aldelaro5 brought up.
"It's no secret that you've been developing Super Smash Bros. whilst enduring immense pain, and first and foremost I think all fans and the members of the press wish you a speedy recovery and to not put the titles above your own health. That said, will Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS be the last entries in the series that you will personally direct, or can you see yourself returning to helm in years to come?"
@MasterLuigi
"What are the origins of the Super Smash Bros. emblem and title?"
@Shell
"Given that there's a lot of depth in the series, have you or anyone on your team ever considered adding a training mode that covers some of the more advanced techniques found within the games?"

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'll bite with one of my own, based on a common community staple that needs answering, @ Gnarleysquid Gnarleysquid :

--When deciding on the character roster, is it more important to you that a character has appeared in a new game or that a character has a unique moveset or gameplay to offer?

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'll bite with one of my own, based on a common community staple that needs answering, @ Gnarleysquid Gnarleysquid :

--When deciding on the character roster, is it more important to you that a character has appeared in a new game or that a character has a unique moveset or gameplay to offer?
Questions like this will probably not lead to a direct answer. Specially from Sakurai, the master of being vague (and troll).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Questions like this will probably not lead to a direct answer. Specially from Sakurai, the master of being vague (and troll).
I can hardly think of any question to ask Sakurai where a direct answer would be guaranteed, given his mastery of vagueness. @ Gnarleysquid Gnarleysquid can take it or leave it, but it's something the community has talked about for so long at this point, I think seeking clarity through some variation of that question would be prudent.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I have a question for Mr. Sakurai, if you don't mind. It's mostly why did he make choices like have Pilotwings and Tomodachi suddenly represented in SSB4, If DLC will include characters and stages, and what special features will the Wii U version have that makes it different from the 3DS, such as modes like Smash Run and the like.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I have a question, maybe it's already was asked but here it goes:

"About deciding the roster, what is the most important? How historical the character is? Popularity (in Japan and in the West)? Moveset originality? Or representing a gaming genre that was not previously in Smash Bros (think Wii Fit Trainer and Villager)?"

You can reformulate it if you want.

Edit: Damn, I should read, BKupa asked something similar right above this post.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I'm sure this has already been asked Gnarly (would rather not go through 200 or so messages) but regardless, I'd like to ask it anyway as its a question that means a lot to me.

"What thought process did you have while balancing Smash 4? With how many characters likely in the game and 3 games prior, what have you taken from that in terms of how you balance 4? Also how integral has Namco been in the balance process, and do you have a sort of priority to which mode you balance for, FFA 1v1 or Teams"

Yes, its kinda cheating, but I can't just ask about one part when it comes to something like Balance.

Also this is why I love the community, you could ask anything you want and completely ignore us, but you're collaborating with everyone here, and everyone here are thinking of great questions and even working to make these the most bang for our buck. You guys are all awesome.

Kel

Smash Master
Edit4: I couldn't find a translated Melee dojo archive. Sorry about that. But I did find more than a dozen different sites (including SSBWiki) claiming that the Japanese Melee dojo also had an update explaining what "Smooth Landing" was and how to perform it, just like the 64 update. I don't know if this helps.
For the record, you don't need to post walls of text explaining to me what wavedashing is. I have been around the community for a long time.

You say you couldn't find a translated dojo archive. Could you post the untranslated version? Coincidentally, I speak Japanese (not weeaboo Japanese, I work for a Japanese company). The image you posted doesn't link to Sakurai or any official stance on the ATs. If a dojo post exists, even if it's in Japanese, I'll agree that we don't need to ask Sakurai about his intentions with L canceling. I may want to ask why he removed it from future games before Melee though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Best possible way to stop being a journalist ever.
Especially if Sakurai suddenly gave him a look of absolute wonder and started slowly rising from his chair before belting out of the rest of the lyrics because it's secretly his favorite song. Then, Reggie runs in just as Sakurai sings "Cuz baby you're a firework" and proceeds to take his shirt off and swing it around his head, cuing a lazer light show as Sakurai brings down the house and triggers a standing ovation with uproarious cheering and crying caused by the sheer divinity of his singing voice.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
"How will you handle patching of the game post release; as it has been seen that some characters skills are undiscovered or learned about later (such as Meta Knight in brawl and Yoshi in Melee)?"

"If you do decide to do character DLC, will you be creating compatibility patches for it so that players who do not have the characters can still see and play against them in online play?"

RODO

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to why he decided to take out L-cancelling as a mechanic since it was in the two games prior. Maybe ask if he's ever been able to wavedash lol. You should definitely tell him that the community appreciates his hard work and that we hope he recovers from his injuries.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am just hoping that @ Gnarleysquid Gnarleysquid or someone else who is attending E3 2014 would ask Sakurai about Toad and refreshing Peach's moves. It would be nice to know what Sakurai says about Toad.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Throw a sneaky question at him, maybe you can trick him.

"Now that Mewtwo has been announced, what kind of work went into transitioning the character from melee to Smash 4?"

See if Mewtwo is in the game maybe you'll be able to pull one over on him and he'll be like "****? did we announce him yet? we must have and he'll give an answer without thinking, because he won't be expecting a question worded like that.

Unless Mewtwo's not in the game then he'll just be like "do u even smash bro?"

C3CC

Smash Lord
Throw a sneaky question at him, maybe you can trick him.

"Now that Mewtwo has been announced, what kind of work went into transitioning the character from melee to Smash 4?"

See if Mewtwo is in the game maybe you'll be able to pull one over on him and he'll be like "****? did we announce him yet? we must have and he'll give an answer without thinking, because he won't be expecting a question worded like that.

Unless Mewtwo's not in the game then he'll just be like "do u even smash bro?"
This is genius, and I support.

Misti

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mistimane
What do you think about Project M?

I really wonder what Sakurai think about this mod.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
[collapse=Question]
[/collapse]
Jk!

Why does the hero of blue flames not use blue flames?

Last edited:

Hoser

Smash Ace
Why does the hero of blue flames not use blue flames?
That's a question I wonder as well. But I don't think Sakurai is very familiar with Fire Emblem, so it may need to be reworded so he knows it refers to Ike.

"Why was Ike, the Hero of the Blue Flames, not given his iconic blue flames instead of red?"

Last edited:

Ragingtsunami726

Smash Cadet
That's a question I wonder as well. But I don't think Sakurai is very familiar with Fire Emblem, so it may need to be reworded so he knows it refers to Ike.

"Why was Ike, the Hero of the Blue Flames, not given his iconic blue flames instead of red?"
I really like this too, because
a) it's a question that Sakurai should easily be able to answer
b) it doesn't really seem to make any sense
c) we might never know otherwise unlike facts about the game we'll know on release

Last edited:

Hoser

Smash Ace
I really like this too, because
a) it's a question that Sakurai should easily be able to answer
b) it doesn't really seem to make any sense
c) we might never know otherwise unlike facts about the game we'll know on release
I agree. Also, hopefully it spawns an answer such as "Oops, we didn't know that. We'll fix it before release." LOL

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Ifisaacisplayablesaywhat?

Seriously though I'm not sure what to ask that he'd be able to answer. Do stickers return? Will the trophy capsule machine return?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID

A title only given to him during the epilogue of Radiant Dawn, he was given the title of "Radiant Hero" for most of the games, there's no reason for him to be given specific Blue Flames when his only time using them is with Yune's power, not his own.

Top Bottom